PDA

View Full Version : Jasper's Soph. QB will likely sit out tonight due to injury.

bccards
09-24-2004, 07:16 AM
From Jaspers Head Coach:
€ Bulldogs capsule: Ranked 3rd in Class 3A by the Associated Press this week, Jasper has outscored its four foes, 97-49, and has led them in first downs, 71-37. Yet Danny Lauve's Dogs are minus 1 in turnovers.... Soph QB Gilbert Moye has run for six TDs and thrown for another. Moye is 23 of 50 for 343 yards and two INTs but is expected to miss tonight's game due to a hip bruise.... Jasper needed only 13 seconds to take the lead in a 25-6 win over Newton last week as senior DeKendrick Gilder dashed 83 yards for a TD on the opening kickoff return. None of Jasper's rushers had exceeded 150 yards until Edrick Bronson dashed 11 times for 153 yards and a TD last week. Bronson will start at QB tonight.

j_dog
09-24-2004, 08:06 AM
I am sorry to hear about Moye's injury, but it is good that they are giving him time to heal. Bronson is a talented athlete and has experience at QB. Let's play ball! :)

sphinx-1906
09-24-2004, 08:13 AM
They beat Newton 25-6 and Newton scrimmaged B.C. and after numerous plays and a half of football Newton scored 6 touchdowns and B.C. scored 1. Jasper doesn't need to have the Sophmore to win.

bccards
09-24-2004, 09:12 AM
sphinx, I didn't make the Newton/BC scrimmage, but as I hear, in the Scrimmage portion of the game, Bridge City dominated Newton.. by the time the Game Situation started, BC was worn out.. Now this is just what I hear.. I also didn't hear of Newton getting 6TD's.. Newton is starting off a little down, but I expect you guys to steamroll through 2A! Jasper's QB is a bullet, he will be missed by Jasper, but you're right, a soph QB doesn't make a team....

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Bronson would start for Jasper any year besides this one so it won't hurt that much. Bronson is a tremendous runner himself. I hope they will let Gilder play a little RB like they did last year against Burnet. He did a great job.

kaybee1527
09-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Gilbert is a great talent & great size...i personnally wish they wouldnt run he soo much. He has 2 great backs, his running should come when he drops back and gets in trouble and have to scramble. i think he would get more confidence if they let him pass a lil more, 15-20 attempts a game and let him work on his decision making. I think that would do lot for him mentally, seeing that the coaches want him to be a passing QB. Cause if he gets to the point where he is beating teams more with his arm, he will be double trouble cuz we know he can run. Just my opinion...what u think? Also we could limit his injuries too.

Junkyard
09-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by kaybee1527
Gilbert is a great talent & great size...i personnally wish they wouldnt run he soo much. He has 2 great backs, his running should come when he drops back and gets in trouble and have to scramble. i think he would get more confidence if they let him pass a lil more, 15-20 attempts a game and let him work on his decision making. I think that would do lot for him mentally, seeing that the coaches want him to be a passing QB. Cause if he gets to the point where he is beating teams more with his arm, he will be double trouble cuz we know he can run. Just my opinion...what u think? Also we could limit his injuries too.

May be the coaches dont want him to be a passing QB maybe they want him to be both a running and passing QB. I think the coaches are doing a great job, but it is easy to have a different opion from the stands and all you see is the 2-3 hours of game time and notall the work that takes place before game time.

Bulldog_12
09-24-2004, 09:55 AM
I am sad to hear that Moye will miss a game, especially considering that every game is crucial for him to get better. Bronson is very talented at QB. I think he will have an explosive night as the dogs roll on to victory.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 09:56 AM
I, too, wish they wouldn't run Gilbert so much. But I am not the coach. I don't know why they choose to do that. Like you said, they have other really good backs, use them more. Personally, I like to watch Toderick Hunt run. He has had some difficulty so far this year getting through the line, but look out when he does. Tod has great things in his future! I am glad Edrick is starting tonight over Jordan. Patton is a really good running back, but I am not comfortable with him at qb. But then, again, I am not the coach....

Junkyard
09-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by dawgmom
I, too, wish they wouldn't run Gilbert so much. But I am not the coach. I don't know why they choose to do that. Like you said, they have other really good backs, use them more. Personally, I like to watch Toderick Hunt run. He has had some difficulty so far this year getting through the line, but look out when he does. Tod has great things in his future! I am glad Edrick is starting tonight over Jordan. Patton is a really good running back, but I am not comfortable with him at qb. But then, again, I am not the coach....

WOW dawgmom that is the first tiem i have ever seen yo usecond guessing the coaches.:(

PappaBear
09-24-2004, 10:01 AM
The way Jasper runs the Spread the QB is like a RB in the backfield that's why it is so hard to defend against you can have 4 wide and still have 2 RB's. I think you are right about him needing to get more passes, and he will get more passes as the season goes on, but until the opposing teams put 8 or 9 in the box, take what they give you, and run the ball baby, any OC knows that.

Junkyard
09-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Great analysis Papabear. You are very observant.:D

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Jasper probably wouldn't be near as successful throwing the ball that many times. The offense they run is geared toward the run. The pass is set up to be big play potential to keep the DBs and LBs honest and guessing. This is way most of their passes are homerun attempts. I would like to see a few more pass plays too but the run seems to be working just fine.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Junkyard, I don't really think I am second guessing them. I never have, and probably never will, coach a football team. I am just always afraid with Gilbert running so much that he is going to get seriously hurt and then we won't have him when we need him. I just wonder why when we have so many other capable of running really well, do we put our QB in harms way like that. But, I also know that is part of the game. And I think that if we use any of our numerous backs on any given play, we will always have our opponent guessing. But, on another note, have you noticed that we rarely throw the short pass? We run, run, run, and then when we pass, it is usually a really long one. Again, not second guessing, just wondering why?

Junkyard
09-24-2004, 10:36 AM
That question has been asked for years and i guess the only people that know the answer is the coaches.:rolleyes:

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 10:42 AM
This is true. I would not want their job (well yes I would, but I wouldn't know what I was doing). But I do believe we have some fantastic coaches.

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Junkyard, I don't really think I am second guessing them. I never have, and probably never will, coach a football team. I am just always afraid with Gilbert running so much that he is going to get seriously hurt and then we won't have him when we need him. I just wonder why when we have so many other capable of running really well, do we put our QB in harms way like that. But, I also know that is part of the game. And I think that if we use any of our numerous backs on any given play, we will always have our opponent guessing. But, on another note, have you noticed that we rarely throw the short pass? We run, run, run, and then when we pass, it is usually a really long one. Again, not second guessing, just wondering why?

Dawgmom, even though Moye is lined up as qb his primary purpose is to run the ball. If jasper was running some kind of pro set he would be the tailback and running the ball just as much as he is now. You take you best athlete and you use him. Bumps and bruises are the result of a physical game. He seems to sit out a portion of each game recuperating. Hopefully, when district rolls around we can get some comfortable leads and have it to where we don't need him as much. He is our most explosive weapon in the coaches opinions (although Bronson, Patton, and Gilder are all very good as well).

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Like I have said before, that's why I am not a football coach. I think our coaches do a great job! I just don't want our best QB to be hurt before we get to district, much less the playoffs. At least, even though he is out this week, he will have another week to recuperate. That kid is really gonna be awesome in the very near future!

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 10:58 AM
I guess I wouldn't have such concerns with him running if we were blocking for him, or whoever is running, better.

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Like I have said before, that's why I am not a football coach. I think our coaches do a great job! I just don't want our best QB to be hurt before we get to district, much less the playoffs. At least, even though he is out this week, he will have another week to recuperate. That kid is really gonna be awesome in the very near future!

I doubt he is the best qb, and that is probably why you will see us have better passing numbers without him. He is the best rb and that is why he is qb..get it? lol

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 11:58 AM
what I mean is that he is the most explosive runner in the minds of the coaches so in that offense they want the ball snapped to him with the option to pass, handoff, pitch or run baby run.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 12:05 PM
I disagree, I think he is our best QB. But I do see what you are saying. :) http://kit.netpoets.net/kit-tugofwar.gif

pinecone
09-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Gilbert Moye certainly has a lot of talent and may be the fastest man on the team. Playing without him is a definite advantage for Bridge City. Rain will also help BC. Lets hope we can keep the fumbles down and have all the other talented players play to the best of their ability. Hope our Bulldogs are not emotionally flat after the big game with Newton.

sphinx-1906
09-24-2004, 12:25 PM
I don't think Jasper will be flat after last weeks game. They won because they were the better team (GULP..that was hard to say). They will not have a problem with B.C. although B.C. will always play hard.

Bulldog_12
09-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Moye may not be the best on the team right now, but give him time. This kid is going to be awesome. He is still young and little bumps and bruises tend to seem bigger at a younger age. You really have to go on what the player says he can do. if he doesn't think he can play, you can't force him. but then again, maybe there really is something bug wrong with him besides a bruise. im not the trainer so I don't know.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Don't get me started on this years trainer!

Bulldog_12
09-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Whats with the trainer this year? i don't know him. I loved the last trainer, Joe Guthrie, but I don't know the new guy.

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 01:08 PM
I disagree, I think he is our best QB. But I do see what you are saying. :) http://kit.netpoets.net/kit-tugofwar.gif

Well I think Patton is the better passer. But with 2 more years after this one to grow into the position Moye has a lot of upside potential. Moye passes are not very accurate and generally have too much air under them. Been a few occasion where a good pass would have been a certain score. He is and will continue to improve though.

duckbutter
09-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Who was the big kid that came in after Moye was hurt and ate us up in the middle?

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 01:17 PM
This years trainer is rarely there so if we have a player injured, the students have to provide the treatments/therapies. I, as a parent, am not real comfortable with this. Also, at the PNG Freshman game, he was there. One of our players was down on the field and PNG's trainer went out to him. Ours NEVER did. I really miss Joe! He was great.

Bulldog_12
09-24-2004, 01:21 PM
yeah, Joe was great. He always was there and ready for anything. Im sure this new one will be good, just with anything else, give it time.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 01:26 PM
He has a lot to live up to and even more to prove to me. Had he been available to release my son after a minor injury, rather than causing him to miss 3 weeks of practice because he wasn't there, I might be a little easier on him. But he has to earn my trust and confidence and he isn't off to a very good start.

JasperDog94
09-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Well I think Patton is the better passer. Huper, you really think Patton is a better passer than Moye? I've seen both play and throw and IMHO Moye has twice the arm Patton has. Neither one is terribly accurate, but Moye has a cannon for an arm.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 02:46 PM
I have watched both boys since 7th grade and I have to agree with you JasperDog94. While Jordan is good, I think Gilbert is better. Jordan seems to have more difficulty holding on to the ball. Maybe it has something to do with the way he holds it when running? I don't know. I am just an observer.

pinecone
09-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Huper, you really think Patton is a better passer than Moye? I've seen both play and throw and IMHO Moye has twice the arm Patton has. Neither one is terribly accurate, but Moye has a cannon for an arm.

Face it. Jasper plays "poor boy" football. How many players for Jasper ever go to a football camp during the summer. I don't think they even have the benefit of 7 on 7 during the summer anymore. If the same talent were in a location of better economics, and got to go to all those kicking schools, quarterback camps, etc., then we could have a more polished team. These boys do exceptionally well for high school boys who learn on the field in the games they play. Our coaches do an excellant job during the few weeks that they have for training them.

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Huper, you really think Patton is a better passer than Moye? I've seen both play and throw and IMHO Moye has twice the arm Patton has. Neither one is terribly accurate, but Moye has a cannon for an arm.

Well I am only basing it off of the WO-S game and Moye was far from impressive in that game as a passer. Not doubt he could sure sling the ball. Perhaps he has gotten better since than.

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by pinecone
Face it. Jasper plays "poor boy" football. How many players for Jasper ever go to a football camp during the summer. I don't think they even have the benefit of 7 on 7 during the summer anymore. If the same talent were in a location of better economics, and got to go to all those kicking schools, quarterback camps, etc., then we could have a more polished team. These boys do exceptionally well for high school boys who learn on the field in the games they play. Our coaches do an excellant job during the few weeks that they have for training them.

Probably some truth to what you are saying. I would think it would be a bigger disadvantage in other sports than in football. Doesn't matter where the weight room is the kids get stronger. The kicking stuff and qb camps..yeah I agree.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 02:55 PM
Huper....you need to see another game. The WOS game was not a good game for anyone. I don't know why, but it wasn't. Yes, things have been improved dramatically for everyone. Wait til you see them in action again. You will see.

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 02:57 PM
I bet so. Moye is super athlete. Can't wait till Coldspring when I have a quick 20 miles to get to see them play.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 02:59 PM
I hear Coldspring, and Shepard, may be tougher than expected? Know anything about that?

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter
Who was the big kid that came in after Moye was hurt and ate us up in the middle?
I believe that was Toderick Hunt, #21. He is just a great all around player, and a terrific kid as well.

JasperDog94
09-24-2004, 03:10 PM
I hear Coldspring, and Shepard, may be tougher than expected? Know anything about that? You should never overlook anybody, but honestly these two schools don't worry me much. These are the kind of games that the main thing you worry about is injuries.

Bulldog_12
09-24-2004, 03:56 PM
In regards to the comment earlier about Jasper having no summer stuff, Jasper still has a 7 on 7 team over the summer, but no one hears about it. They also started a football camp this summer. My little brother went to it and said it was really good. So they are starting to get stuff going over the summer.