PDA

View Full Version : How is Everman so good in so many sports?

Old Tiger
06-08-2003, 03:34 PM
What are some reasons yall think about that?

3afan2K3
06-08-2003, 03:47 PM
What sports are they good in other than football and basketball?

everman_guy
06-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Well, football and basketball have been good for a LONG time. I guess that helps a little, other sports come and go depending on the year. We have good athletes that always helps a little as well.

BULLDAWGS707
06-08-2003, 04:05 PM
I remember when we played them in fb one of their trainers told me that their team had quite a few seniors. They are just an awesome school when it comes to football and obviously basketball as well. I hope they do well in the future.

They also have a GREAT coaching staff (from what I hear)

They had an AWESOME senior class and I hope their future teams are just as good!!!

<small>[ June 08, 2003, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: BULLDAWGS707 ]</small>

3afan2K3
06-08-2003, 04:05 PM
i think there good beacause they have good people laying on there team

bc 76
06-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Also having a big enrollment does not hurt.

Everman01Grad.
06-09-2003, 01:08 AM
Well Football and Basketball have always been good.But what has helped alot within this last 2 or 3 years is the coaches.Everman has put together one of the best coaching staffs around and are very dedicated to there work. Honestly i dont know if without coach keeling and his staff we would have accomplished the things we have. Congrats to the Football and Basketball teams. Goodluck in 03-04

mjbf
06-09-2003, 07:44 AM
Everman has been good at many sports for a number of years. Even when they competed in 4A, they were very competitive, but it seemed like depth and a lack of 4A numbers were there downfall. (Although EHS won a track state championship in 4A in 1995.) The fact the Dawgs are now competing at the 3A level, they are enjoying the same success as Waxahachie, Cedar Hill, etc. used to when they had the larger enrollment.

Everman has good talent, good speed and quickness, good numbers, very good coaches and an administration that wants good athletic teams. What more could you ask for?

Old Cardinal
06-09-2003, 07:44 AM
That's an easy original question-second highest enrollment in 3A.

rholl
06-09-2003, 09:03 AM
don't be so generic Old Card.....what about schools 1 and 3...what happened there??? And then if you look at the top 20 enrollments they don't necessarily qualify as "athletic standouts"
Sure having more kids helps the process but its not the only factor.
If enrollment were the only factor Everman wouldn't have victories over Eastern Hills(1547)
Crowley(1403) Southwest(1387) Waxahachie(1744) And Witchita Falls Rider(1619) over the past 2 yrs.

<small>[ June 09, 2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: rholl ]</small>

vet93
06-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Old Card...while I agree with your long standing contention that the higher enrollment schools will have an advantage especially in relation to quality depth and ability to rest players and handle the rigors of a long regular season and playoffs...I think that there is more to the equation than just enrollment. I believe that the attitude of the school and coaching staff have alot to do with their success. I have heard nothing but good comments about coach Keeling and his staff. I will also have to say that demographically speaking a high enrollment in Everman is a different animal than a high enrollment in Pecos.

PPHSfan
06-09-2003, 10:27 AM
FW Carter Riverside is the 3rd largest school in 3A with 892 students. Celina is the smallest school with 347. My guess is Celina would beat FW Carter by about 50 points. Anybody wanna say different?

<small>[ June 09, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

everman_guy
06-09-2003, 11:32 AM
No PPHSFan, Celina would beat Carter-Riverside by more like 70 points.

Matthew328
06-09-2003, 12:09 PM
To say Everman is only good because they have a high enrollment is a TOTAL disservice to what they have accomplished....for over 20 years Everman had one of the smallest enrollments in Class 4A yet they were one of the better teams in a very tough region of the state in 4A...between 1979 and 2002 Everman has had 4 losing seasons...and more times than not Everman is winning 7 or 8 games...it just happened that the years Everman has had thier best groups were the years they dropped to 3A...you put the 2001 Everman team in 4A and they would have been a Top 10 team and possibly could have given Ennis or Denton Ryan a run for their money...I won't get into Everman basketball because Everman has long been a power in that sport..using Old Card's logic then Bridge City shoulda spanked Newton the last 2 years right??????

<small>[ June 09, 2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Matthew328 ]</small>

everman_guy
06-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Everman probably has their best groups ever coming into the high school now. Next year, they will be 4A. Already seen this group play, I guarentee there will be 4A State Title in basketball or football along the way somewhere. By the way, at the pace they are growing, they will be mid to high 4A in 3 or 4 years. Projected enrollment for the first day of school 2003 is around 1150 to 1200.

big daddy russ
06-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Everman has the athletes, the right attitudes and the right coaches... period. If you look at the team, it's not like they were more talented than Sinton in '01, Burnet in '02, or Forney in either year. They just continued to put themselves in positions to win games, and that says a lot about the fight in the 'Dogs. I've had the privelege to see them play three times in the past two years, and they were very disciplined, well-mannered, and they never gave up in any of the contests. And pulling together that much talent towards one goal isn't easy. There are plenty of teams out there with all kinds of divas and so forth, but the Bulldogs' egos all seemed well in check.

bulldog65
06-09-2003, 08:01 PM
I agree Big Daddy, if I remember correctly Everman was either behind, or tied in all of those contests. Due credit must go to the coaching staff, That "never give up" attitude is started on the practice field. When something unexepected happens in a big game, and it always does, the players still play with confidence.

Keith7
06-09-2003, 10:41 PM
They have good scouts

Old Cardinal
06-10-2003, 12:11 PM
You know, Matt, If I have counted right, that is the 28th time you commented about BC losing to Newton-in fact it is always your comment....Bridge City always plays Newton in the post season-NO OTHER 3A will schedule them in the preseason, probably because of the comments made when you lose. Bridge City considers them a real tough contest, that helps BC prepare for the future postseason. Newton, is exceptional at the first of the season, it is only low enrollment/ injury problems that keep them from being strong in the Postseason. I am glad that we continue to play them at their toughest crest of the season (third game). Who cares what is said; if you get a chance to teach your younger players a lot in the preseason: by scheduling the best teams and Coaching you can find in your geographic area. By the way, Liberty and LC-M are pretty tough this year also-I am glad they too are on the schedule, that gives you a chance to season your youngesters and prepare them for post season, where they can perform at the top of their ability. Playing an average of 30 youth in every ballgame, gives you the chance to gain depth--REALLY the only goal is making the playoffs and going as high as your skill can take you in the Brackets, is all you can ask from a group of youth...An yes, I think enrollment counts bigtime in the PLAYOFFS! Ex. Bandera is a very high enrollment school--I would venture to say that there were at least 7 schools in Division I with equal or lesser enrollment that could beat Bandera, but Bandera was just slightly lower in enrollment in their District and qualified to play in Div. II

shinigdam
06-10-2003, 01:29 PM
I have to lean toward the fact that coaching is of prime importance when evaluating a program and its durability. Leadership starts at the top. As it trickles downs, you either buy into the philosophies or you don't. Programs that do will tend to be successful even with average talent. Great, with great talent. That is what Everman has right now.
I will say this for and about Everman Football, without the one constant, DC Charles Stewart, EHS would never had been as successful as they have been in 4a or 3a. Not to take anything away from Coach Keeling. I don't know him but he obviously is a very talented coach, but Coach Stewart has orcastrated a solid defense, year in and year out, regardless of talent. A testament to his coaching prowless is the fact that OVER 3 HEAD COACHING CHANGES AT EVERMAN IN 20 YEARS AND THE INCOMING COACH HAS RETAINED HIS SERVICES. To me, that says it all. Excellent coach, excellent mentor, excellent example...bad teacher..LOL

Chris Hart
06-10-2003, 09:42 PM
What I have noticed about Everman is, they have GREAT athletes, GREAT coaching and GREAT tradition. I don't agree with the high enrollment theory, because they haven't just been beating all the low enrollment schools, they have beaten the biggest and the best 3A schools in the State. There are quite a few teams that can compare with Everman in athletes and coaching, but the X factor is having EXTRA HARD WORKING, DEDICATED players who strive to be nothing but the best. Everman has a VERY fine program, all the nay-sayers are just jealous!

Matthew328
06-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Old Cardinal:
That's an easy original question-second highest enrollment in 3A.If you would have clarified the statement a bit more I prolly wouldn't have been as quick to jump on you Old Card...but only saying Everman's sucess is due to high enrollment is silly...Everman has beaten schools bigger than them for years...it would be silly for me to think Everman's high enrollment doesn't play a role in their sucess as well..but it is not the only reason why...and to be honest Bridge City and Newton is a perfect example of why a high end enrollment doesn't guarantee sucess....I hate to admit it but the past 2 seasons Newton has owned BC....I could bring up LOTS of other examples of this..but I decided to bring BC-Newton up because it is an easy to one to come up with...