PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Question: What would you do?

Gobbla2001
09-22-2004, 06:29 PM
I'll be hunting out at a friend's place (for deer) this season in Goliad County (one buck)....

Today a guy I work with who knows where I'll be hunting said he drove by the place on his way to work and saw an 8 or 10 point with a nice spread near my place...

He said it looked as if it were a younger deer...

So I called my friend (who lives there) and was going to let them know what I heard... They said they've heard it from two different people but didn't believe them...

NOW... here comes the question...

If it is a younger buck, do I pass on him and let him gain another year or two?

If it were a big game ranch I'd say "Pass on him" (as if they'd let me shoot it anyway) or if the place had a game fence (meaning there's a huge chance he isn't going anywhere)...

But, I passed on a nice young looking 8 last year and it was hit by my friend's nephew (I shed a tear)...

Another factor is the big lease behind their land... The people that are on that lease would blow a spike away in a heart-beat, I don't want this one getting away...

The conclusion I've come up with (so far, anyway) is to let the deer pass if it looks young... HOWEVER... If I see it more than twice, I'm taking it as a sign and am laying him down...

What do the Ted Nudgents of the downlow think?

La Grange
09-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Pass on him...

Horns don't taste that good anyways.

PPHSfan
09-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Hunt for meat not horns. If he looks tasty, shoot him.

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2004, 06:35 PM
8 or 10 points can't be terribly young can it? If you get a shot & like venison, shoot it. (Ted Nudgent???)

Gobbla2001
09-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
8 or 10 points can't be terribly young can it? If you get a shot & like venison, shoot it. (Ted Nudgent???)

A friend of mine shot a 10 last year in DeWitt that was 3 and a half at the most... Coulda been a B&C trophy three years from now...

You should check out this little buck I've seen at Lake Texana... Minus the coloring, the deer looks like a fawn, hellacious 6 point rack for such a young/small deer...

Oh, and Ted Nudgent is a big hunter... Actually, in he is now writing in the archery section of 'The Texas Trophy Hunters' magazine...

I wanna know where he's living at in Texas... They have relocated to hear from Michigan for the time being... He teachers a Hunter's Safety Course... I wanna take his class ha...

PPHSfan
09-22-2004, 06:39 PM
I thought everyone knew who Ted Nugent was.

PPHSfan
09-22-2004, 06:40 PM
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/04/images/030430_tednugent.jpg

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I thought everyone knew who Ted Nugent was.

I know who Ted Nugent is - just didn't get the correlation. :doh:

Gobbla2001
09-22-2004, 06:42 PM
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/04/images/030430_tednugent.jpg

Looks like Jack Nickilson (spelling) with long hair.... and a bow...

turbostud
09-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Ted Nugent also has a cookbook out on the market called "Kill it and Grill it". I am sure all the treehuggers are mighty ticked off about it. :D

Gobbla2001
09-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Ted Nugent also has a cookbook out on the market called "Kill it and Grill it". I am sure all the treehuggers are mighty ticked off about it. :D

Three cheers and backstraps all around:clap:

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by turbostud

Any idea where I can buy it? Sounds like a good Christmas present.

PPHSfan
09-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Link To Buy Cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0895261642/103-2160889-9669428?v=glance)

slpybear the bullfan
09-22-2004, 08:30 PM
If you like backstrap you should try some of mine that I smoke whole on the cooker.... simply ambrosia...

And I would ask two questions about the situation...

1) Are there beaucoups hunters around? If the odds are the buck will get shot this year... take him.
2) Do you have an 8 or 10 point on the wall at home? (Or do you care to?) If you need the horns, take him. But if you can live without them, let 'im grow.

THE BEAR
09-22-2004, 08:53 PM
sounds like good eating to me. I would take him.

olddawggreen
09-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Gobbla, Im not really sure about the size of place your hunting on or the size of your neighbors properties. It sounds like there may be quite a few hunters in the area. On my lease (had it for 9 years and lost it this year do to sale) I would allow my hunters to shoot bucks 8pts and up. The lease was in San Saba County and had a pretty good deer population. Kids could shoot smaller ones if they had a chance. As it turned out, most of the hunters were hunting meat and 10 pts and above.
My advice would be go for the 10pt if its a nice one and pass on the 8pt, but thats just me. Ive killed a lot of deer over the years, but Ive only killed one buck in the past 10 years and that was a 19 pointer. I like the young tender does on my plate. :D :D

Gobbla2001
09-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Well, if it looks really young I'd like it to get bigger next year, but I don't trust these folks around the land I hunt...

I dunno, I actually have a 10 point mule-deer rack on my wall, but my grandfather downed that one in Sanderson...

Horns would be nice on my wall, yah, but insuring that someone doesn't wreck their car and get injured by removing a possible road-kill would be doing a great thing too, right?

handNthedirt
09-22-2004, 09:16 PM
...and I bet since most lazy a** Texas "hunters" use a feeder, you'd see him every morning and evening you sat in their in your Lay-Z-Boy...errrrr, stand. I caught some fish the other day, you want me to put them in a barrel for you.

Gobbla2001
09-22-2004, 09:20 PM
We have one feeder, in the back, basically for hogs (sprays over the trap)...

But I'll make sure to get one up and running for the deer so that I can argue with you...

Planting oats etc... for next year...

handNthedirt
09-22-2004, 09:26 PM
you're such the sportsman...Congratulations!

Gobbla2001
09-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Think I may purchase a bag of that 'Buck Grub' stuff too... seems to work on the TV...

olddawggreen
09-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
you're such the sportsman...Congratulations!

Geeez:rolleyes:

olddawggreen
09-22-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Think I may purchase a bag of that 'Buck Grub' stuff too... seems to work on the TV...

Rub doe pee on your face and sprinkle it all over your clothes, that will do the trick. :D

handNthedirt
09-22-2004, 09:38 PM
It's harder to find frogs and stick firecrackers up their a** than go on one of your po' boy hunting trips. Save some money up and go on a REAL hunting trip, that's all I'm sayin'. Been there, done that, BORING!!!

Gobbla2001
09-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Yah, I wouldn't mind having a ranch crew whipe my butt for 48 hours and help me bag a trophy...

But I could build my own stands, doze out my own senderos and cook my own breakfast and have just as much fun...

May be hunting in San Angelo as well this year...

handNthedirt
09-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Who said anything about shirpas(spelling)?

olddawggreen
09-22-2004, 09:44 PM
It's harder to find frogs and stick firecrackers up their a** than go on one of your po' boy hunting trips. Save some money up and go on a REAL hunting trip, that's all I'm sayin'. Been there, done that, BORING!!!

Try stalking or bow hunting dude, theres nothing boiring about that.

olddawggreen
09-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Rub doe pee on your face and sprinkle it all over your clothes, that will do the trick. :D

Better yet, sprinkle some on handNthedirt and stake him out in front of your stand, that will bring them in! :inlove: :inlove:

44INAROW
09-22-2004, 09:53 PM
...and I bet since most lazy a** Texas "hunters" use a feeder, you'd see him every morning and evening you sat in their in your Lay-Z-Boy...errrrr, stand. I caught some fish the other day, you want me to put them in a barrel for you.

Swear to God.. my husband just bought a brand new faux leather office chair @ Sam's for his newest blind. Actually was a good deal. $79.99 with 10% off and a $40.00 rebate. I am scared to ask how much this d*** blind cost after he picks up the welded long leg thingys up from the welding shop. Thinks it will be better off the ground this year. :thinking: Then he gets this old 1988 JC5 Jeep to drive on the lease. Now it has a stand on top of it with a freaking drop down ladder for heaven's sake. ( I am scared it is top heavy and will tip over) You boys and your toys :rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
09-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Try stalking or bow hunting dude, theres nothing boiring about that.

I'm actually gunna do some stalking (with a gun) at my uncles place just outside of Cuero, he passed up two eights and a ten last year... and if he'll let me, POW!

I really would love to get into bow-hunting, sounds like a blast... I'll pop 'em Lord of the Rings style...

goin' dove hunting this weekend...

and send me some of that doe meat... processed, of course (have to impress handINthedirt with something)...

Gobbla2001
09-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Swear to God.. my husband just bought a brand new faux leather office chair @ Sam's for his newest blind. Actually was a good deal. $79.99 with 10% off and a $40.00 rebate. I am scared to ask how much this d*** blind cost after he picks up the welded long leg thingys up from the welding shop. Thinks it will be better off the ground this year. :thinking: Then he gets this old 1988 JC5 Jeep to drive on the lease. Now it has a stand on top of it with a freaking drop down ladder for heaven's sake. ( I am scared it is top heavy and will tip over) You boys and your toys :rolleyes:

Wow, office chair?

Like, with wheels?

I wonder if the kick of the gun will send him rolling out the back of his blind :D

44INAROW
09-22-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Wow, office chair?

Like, with wheels?

I wonder if the kick of the gun will send him rolling out the back of his blind :D

Wheels and all.... I have no idea what his plans are when he actually shoots lol........ it swivels back wayyy far.. I have a feeling I know what he's gonna do in that chair:D :D :D

olddawggreen
09-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Gobbla, Ive always enjoyed stalking with a gun. I dont shoot that often, its just a thrill to get up close to them. It may take me an hour to move 50 yards but I love it.

I dont bow hunt but my boys have been into it for a couple of years. They have done a lot of deer hunts and hog hunts. My oldest has done some bow fishing too. In the off season they go to the siloet (sp?) tournaments. Its a great year round sport. Get a bow and come on up to Burnet, Several of the coaches and quite a few of the boys get together often to shoot.:)

Gobbla2001
09-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Sounds like a blast...

yah, I saw that bow-huntin' for fish deal on an outdoor show once... At night they took out this big boat with lights all around it into some flats or something in Louisiana and bow-hunted red-fish..... looked cool...

I like stalking turkeys, that's fun... Spot 'em, call 'em, if they don't come, try and get closer, then call 'em... hearing that 'Gobble' echo through the woods is something else... 5 at the same time even sounds freakier... called up three jakes and two Gobblers last year... WOW (or was it two and two? I forget)... goosebumps overcame me after hearing all of that racket...

Bandera YaYa
09-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Oh you little hunters out there......you all would die to be my boss......hunts twice a year in Canada, has several 5000 acres + ranches in South Texas.....buys deer sperm from Wisconsin for his deer program at ranch....raises HUGE deer......feeds his deer population "Cuero Grande" feed......is presently in Africa for 4 weeks hunting leopard...has a "trophey " room filled to the brim with wall mounts and full mounts......but he's a very responsible hunter, and I know he does not shoot 8 points.....lets them get much bigger.......anyone see the pic that was making the internet rounds, of a huge deer, whose horns had grown together at the skull....still in velvet??? Tha'ts my boss and his teenage son.....son shot it, son is in a wheelchair......an article is being printed as we speak about his son and what a good shot he is, considering he can barely pull a trigger..........I think it's coming out in TExas Trophy Hunters in near future....but anyways, let it get bigger!!! my 2 cents! :D

olddawggreen
09-23-2004, 07:36 AM
Do you know when the article will be publisned? I would like to pick up a copy. I love to see kids take up the sport. I kind of to the point where I enjoy the camp fire as much or more than the hunt, but I love taking my boys and teaching them lessons that have been passed down for generations in my family here in Texas. Theres so much more to hunting than just harvesting the animals.

Ya Ya, tell your boss I have a special deal just for him! ;) :D

http://img29.exs.cx/img29/7017/BUCKS01.jpg

PPHSfan
09-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Stalking is what you do AFTER you have shot something that didn't go down. Walking around looking for something to shoot is called Still Hunting. If you are gonna preach to someone at least know what you are talking about.:p

olddawggreen
09-23-2004, 08:32 AM
What are you talking about? In my circles, we use the term stalking during the hunting phase and no, stalking is not what you do after you shoot something that didnt go down, that is called tracking.
I dont know where your from or what terms they use where you hunt, and I dont claim to be an expert, but Im the 7th generation of hunters in my family here in Texas, my kids are the 8th. I was fortunate to grow up on a ranch and have hunted all of my life in Central and South Texas, these are the terms that we use, I didnt get them out of a magazine. If YOUR going to preach to someone at least understand that different parts of the country or state may have different terms that they use. I havent preached to anyone. Goober!

Ranger354
09-23-2004, 10:08 AM
I have hunted for the past 35 years and never once eaten any horns that tasted good. If the buck looks nice and you would like a trophy then take the shot. I hunt near Berclair and have seen a few nice bucks that are there one year and gone the next. The men that hunt across the fence have an 8pt and 16inch spread rule. I didn't even shoot a buck last year cause I was happy with the doe and hog I had made into sausage. I also saw a nice buck that had only one antler. They other was knocked off. If I see him this year he is toast.

By the way I take my meat to smaleks (sp) in Cuero and let them make sausage out of it. They have been the best place I have found in many years.

What do you Ceuro guys think of their sausage? I would rather eat BBQ at the railroad place though.

ranger
09-23-2004, 10:35 AM
If this deer has been seen this many times already, he won't live much longer! I would say that he is not the biggest buck out there either. If you want a trophy, pass on him and wait on the BIG buck. Try rattling before and during the rut. Works wonders up here in the panhandle. And there aren't even any trees for me to hide in! Rattling will call the biggest bad @$$ buck out for a fight. The smaller bucks will come looking, but won't hang around long.

Ranger354
09-23-2004, 10:44 AM
You better start hitting them horns together the second weekend in November around Goliad. Nothing better then a buck jumping over a bush to get to the action on the other side.

PPHSfan
09-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Goober? LOL

Still Hunting is when you move around slowly through the cover looking for what you are hunting.

Stalking is something that if you get caught will get you arrested, and on the news.

Ranger Mom
09-23-2004, 11:55 AM
I can't go on deer hunting trips....they make me cry!:(

Ranger354
09-23-2004, 12:28 PM
I always thought that:

Still hinting - was walking a while very slowly almost at a snails pace and stopping every so often to listen and look over the surroundings.

Stalking - was almost eyeing your quary and easing up on it much like a cat would stalk a bird.

Tracking - is looking at the cover (ground) for any signs of a paticular animal. Whether it be a wounded deer in the brush, elk tracks in the snow, etc.

Hunting - is being in the outdoors with your family, friends, yourself, and watching mother nature at its best.

Enjoyed Work - When you are fortunate enough to bag some game and have to clean it!

Other work - What you do to make enough money to do one of the above mentioned activities.

Can you "Still Fish"? I have stalked fish...........

PPHSfan
09-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Well if you ever get caught stalking fish...you may end up on America's Most Wanted.

Ranger354
09-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Any you guys ever go floundering!

I would call that stalking fish...

Someone post above to let the buck grow up and it must not be that big.

My nephew shot a 9pt last year that only had a 16inch spread. It was his first buck and a Trophy to him.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

PPHSfan
09-23-2004, 12:48 PM
I have been floundering.

We call it gigging.:D

Ranger354
09-23-2004, 01:06 PM
LOL

I call it gigging too.... But you are stalking aint ya!

Bullfrogs too........

sinton66
09-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Stalking is indeed the proper Texas term for walk-hunting. It is the same whether with a gun or bow. "Still Hunting" we always referred to as finding a deer crossing point and setting up on it in a brush cover not far away. "Blind Hunting" is basically the same thing, but in an elevated position such as a tree stand or self-support blind. "Wild Turkey" is what you use for antifreeze!!!:D

And, going after flounders is called "Floundering", gigging is the method by which you take them.

PPHSfan
09-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Type the words Still Hunting into Google and you will get 82 pages of websites that talk about hunting.

Type the word Stalking into Google and you will have to go 82 pages deep before a deer is mentioned.:p

olddawggreen
09-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Type the words Still Hunting into Google and you will get 82 pages of websites that talk about hunting.

Type the word Stalking into Google and you will have to go 82 pages deep before a deer is mentioned.:p

Like I said, some of us have had terms passed down to us, we didnt get them from dictionarys, magazines or Google. :D

Ranger354
09-23-2004, 01:56 PM
I always thought Gigem was an Aggie term......

LOL

You guys and girls are the EXPERTS though!!!!!!!

The boys at work call hunting next to a feeder as "Baiting".

Wonder what google would say about "shindig"???????

olddawggreen
09-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Stalking is indeed the proper Texas term for walk-hunting. It is the same whether with a gun or bow. "Still Hunting" we always referred to as finding a deer crossing point and setting up on it in a brush cover not far away. "Blind Hunting" is basically the same thing, but in an elevated position such as a tree stand or self-support blind. "Wild Turkey" is what you use for antifreeze!!!:D

And, going after flounders is called "Floundering", gigging is the method by which you take them.

Thanks 66, we've definatly trompted through some of the same country. :) Trompted? Hmmm, wonder what Google has to say about that? ;) :D

olddawggreen
09-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Ranger354
I always thought that:

Still hinting - was walking a while very slowly almost at a snails pace and stopping every so often to listen and look over the surroundings.

Stalking - was almost eyeing your quary and easing up on it much like a cat would stalk a bird.

Tracking - is looking at the cover (ground) for any signs of a paticular animal. Whether it be a wounded deer in the brush, elk tracks in the snow, etc.

Hunting - is being in the outdoors with your family, friends, yourself, and watching mother nature at its best.

Enjoyed Work - When you are fortunate enough to bag some game and have to clean it!

Other work - What you do to make enough money to do one of the above mentioned activities.

Can you "Still Fish"? I have stalked fish...........

Ranger354, I have definatly stalked many a Redfish and Trout on the flats of Laguna Madre. I was taught by some of those Corpus boys that considered themselves "Purist", meaning its was a gold spoon or nothing. I dont really like to fish, but I love to stalk the flats, its more like hunting, wear polorized glasses and never cast until you see the fish you want to catch. Its been awhile since Ive had the chance to go, I understand some of the guys have gone to fly fishing for them. I spent many a happy weekend down at my cousins cabin barge they called the Church at Twin Palms near the mouth of Baffin Bay.

PPHSfan
09-23-2004, 02:09 PM
I did not get my hunting experience from Google either. I have been hunting in Texas for probably 35 years and my daddy always called it still hunting. He grew up in and around Lufkin, and that is what his daddy called it too. I am not sure how many generations of my family has been hunting, but I am guessing all of them. I only used Google as a way to prove that the term Still Hunting is not something I made up. If you take the time to do the search you will see that there are thousands of folks that call what you call "stalking" still hunting.

Ranger354
09-23-2004, 02:13 PM
I too have stalked them in the flats. Not many things better then a big tail sticking out of the water.

I stalked some bass at Choke this past spring too. Them glasses work like a charm. Got a "saltwater" buddy hooked on bass fishing too.

Sorry, I guess I was "still hunting" them things................or do you call it "still fishing"?

LOL

olddawggreen
09-23-2004, 02:29 PM
I did not get my hunting experience from Google either. I have been hunting in Texas for probably 35 years and my daddy always called it still hunting. He grew up in and around Lufkin, and that is what his daddy called it too. I am not sure how many generations of my family has been hunting, but I am guessing all of them. I only used Google as a way to prove that the term Still Hunting is not something I made up. If you take the time to do the search you will see that there are thousands of folks that call what you call "stalking" still hunting.

Well PPHSfan, the fact that you got your hunting experience and terms from the Lufkin area explains everything! We have always heard about you "East Texas" Hunters. :) ;) You guys are notorious.
I dont plan to check out the terms on Google, I just plan to keep using the terms passed down to me over the years. Besides, if I used any other terms than the ones I use, people in the areas I hunt would look at me kinda funny. :eek: ;) . Any way, you proved my point in your statement that you got your terms from your dad and he got them from his dad. There are different terms used in different regions of the state, just like there are different accents and dialects around the state. Just use the terms you feel comfortable with and understand that your not the only bear in the woods. :) :) :D

PPHSfan
09-23-2004, 02:35 PM
OK ODG,

But I have to say this. You probably think a White Perch is a Crappie too huh?:D

Reveille
09-23-2004, 02:38 PM
This pic will make you think twice about wondering around in the woods early in the morning on opening day. :eek: :eek:

http://img57.exs.cx/img57/4395/Deer.th.jpg (http://img57.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img57&image=Deer.jpg)

Old Green
09-23-2004, 02:40 PM
I have hunted for the past 35 years and never once eaten any horns that tasted good. If the buck looks nice and you would like a trophy then take the shot. I hunt near Berclair and have seen a few nice bucks that are there one year and gone the next. The men that hunt across the fence have an 8pt and 16inch spread rule. I didn't even shoot a buck last year cause I was happy with the doe and hog I had made into sausage. I also saw a nice buck that had only one antler. They other was knocked off. If I see him this year he is toast.

By the way I take my meat to smaleks (sp) in Cuero and let them make sausage out of it. They have been the best place I have found in many years.

What do you Ceuro guys think of their sausage? I would rather eat BBQ at the railroad place though.

dawgmom
09-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Reveille
This pic will make you think twice about wondering around in the woods early in the morning on opening day. :eek: :eek:

http://img57.exs.cx/img57/4395/Deer.th.jpg (http://img57.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img57&image=Deer.jpg)
Rev...looks like the woods behind my house! We have some of those cats also!

Old Green
09-23-2004, 02:45 PM

What do you Ceuro guys think of their sausage? I would rather eat BBQ at the railroad place though. Smoliks is alright. I've always used Arndt's out at Lindeanau to make my sausage.

I used to hunt out on the Ressman Ranch next to the old Navy landing strip there at Berclair in the 80's. Good hunting out in that area.

Reveille
09-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Dawgmom, one of the Jasper coaches got that of his trail cam. He is on a lease between Jasper and Newton.

Ranger354
09-23-2004, 02:49 PM
If there is a place better then SMoliks then point me in that direction. I will try them.

dawgmom
09-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Well then, not in my area. I am over toward Lufkin.
Gobbla...I think I would have to assess my freezer situation. Empty? TAKE HIM! Full? Leave him. But if you take him and he is nice enough to brag about, he is probably nice enough to put on the wall.

mikecheck
09-23-2004, 03:34 PM
shoot

dawgmom
09-23-2004, 03:47 PM
My husband makes THE BEST venison sausage! Made up the recipe himself, with a little help from Emeril...lol..um um ummmmm

Gobbla2001
09-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Is that where that picture came from? A guy at work showed me that pic yesterday along with a video called 'Hog Kickin' that he received in his email...

The person who sent him his email said the pic was shot by a motion game camera in Colorado...

No doubtin' ya, just letting you know what I heard...

olddawggreen
09-23-2004, 07:38 PM
OK ODG,

But I have to say this. You probably think a White Perch is a Crappie too huh?:D

You got me there PPHSfan, since I dont really like to fish except stalking the flats for Redfish or Trout and offshore ocasionally, I couldn't tell you if it is a White Perch a Crappie or a Croppie. :)
All I know about fresh water fishing is that we have a really nice spring fed tank ( thats pond for you East Texas boys) down on the creek that is full of big bass and when the boys go down there I dont hear any thing out of them until they get hungry. :D :D I was sure glad when they got old enough to bait their own hooks.