PDA

View Full Version : Varsity Blues

Keith7
09-21-2004, 09:51 PM
I know this topic has been brought up before but it was way in the past.. and i was reading espn.com had it ranked number 30 in all time sports movies (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/movies/varsityblues)

Did others on here like this movie? do yall think it was an accurate take on Texas High school football???

big daddy russ
09-21-2004, 10:17 PM
I loved it. Not completely accurate, but it comes real dang close. Earlier in the year Page 2 made another ranking, one where Bend it Like Beckham was ranked #24 over both Rudy and Varsity Blues. That was crap. Even I think Bend it Like Beckham sucks and I love soccer.

Ranger Mom
09-21-2004, 10:21 PM
I don't know if it portrays Texas Football accurately....but I loved the whole plot of the movie!

TheDOCTORdre
09-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Great movie you watch and think about guys that you go to or went to school and played football w/

PPHSfan
09-21-2004, 10:33 PM
I thought it was a funny movie. Not too acurate, but fun to watch.

pirate4state
09-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I know this topic has been brought up before but it was way in the past.. and i was reading espn.com had it ranked number 30 in all time sports movies (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/movies/varsityblues)

Did others on here like this movie? do yall think it was an accurate take on Texas High school football??? I liked it okay, and I think everyone went to school with someone like Tweeter!! :D :eek: :D What is scary is that you just know that there are coaches out there like Jon Voight's character!! :mad: :(

lobo12
09-21-2004, 11:01 PM
i liked the movie, and i didnt think it was completely accurate

dawgmom
09-22-2004, 12:02 AM
I loved this movie. Again, it's a football movie, whats not to love?

spiveyrat
09-22-2004, 06:39 AM
I thought it was great! I think it gave a pretty good portrayal minus a little cinematic license thrown in for entertainment. I'd swear almost every role in the movie was someone I knew in high school. I'd give it a... er... a 10, a *bleep*ing 10!!!!

GoDeep
09-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Entertaining movie, but not acurate at all.
#1. Ive never heard of a team kicking a coach out.
#2. No one had a Texas accient in that movie...it was all Alabama accients
#3. While some coaches have some racial preferrences, Ive never heard of it costing a team games(except in Aledo).
#4. I played football in high school and some in college...and never did a cheerleader show up in only whipped cream!!

3afan
09-22-2004, 06:43 AM
i remember seeing it but i dont remember what its about - guess it didnt impress me that much

renegade*dawg
09-22-2004, 01:23 PM
It was a fun movie. But more accurate of the 80's than now.

I think back then people looked the other way on a lot of things. Like the beer drinking and partying with the teachers. Coaches were a little more in your face too.

Maroon87
09-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by GoDeep
#3. While some coaches have some racial preferrences, Ive never heard of it costing a team games(except in Aledo).
#4. I played football in high school and some in college...and never did a cheerleader show up in only whipped cream!!

Amen to #4...if they showed up in whipped cream, it sure wasn't at my house!:D It was a decent movie.

PPHSfan
09-22-2004, 01:33 PM
I am usually a sucker for Whip Cream Bikini.

Cameronbystander
09-22-2004, 01:35 PM
One of the cheerleaders in the movie that was in the car is from Cameron. Based on that it must be pretty realistic from the wild cheerleader side.

Keith7
09-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Cameronbystander
One of the cheerleaders in the movie that was in the car is from Cameron. Based on that it must be pretty realistic from the wild cheerleader side.

ooh one of the naked cheerleaders that wanted to do something with their tongue?

PPHSfan
09-22-2004, 01:37 PM
I think the guy that played Tweeder is James Caan's son.

kaorder1999
09-22-2004, 01:56 PM
i didnt like varsity blues....i hate it when there is a bad guy for the coach

Keith7
09-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i didnt like varsity blues....i hate it when there is a bad guy for the coach

ooooh.. a Remember The Titan's fan

Junkyard
09-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I think the guy that played Tweeder is James Caan's son.

Yes it is James Caan's son and he was in Ocean's Eleven too.

handNthedirt
09-22-2004, 02:23 PM
It was filmed in Central Texas, the football was played at Georgetown's field (which got totally re-done for the movie) and the strip club is in Austin near the airport...it's called the Landing Strip, phone number is 512....err....I heard that's where it is anyway.

kaorder1999
09-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
ooooh.. a Remember The Titan's fan

remember the titans wasnt a bad movie....i really liked Radio...

chaingang
09-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by GoDeep

Then you missed a whole lot:D

Maroon87
09-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
It was filmed in Central Texas, the football was played at Georgetown's field (which got totally re-done for the movie) and the strip club is in Austin near the airport...it's called the Landing Strip, phone number is 512....err....I heard that's where it is anyway.

I've driven by the Landing Strip a few times, but I've never been inside. No, REALLY, I've only driven past!:D

ILS1
09-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Yes,all of their home games were filmed @ Georgetown HS. One of the away games (against Elwood) was filmed in Elgin. I've been to the Landing Strip and it was nothing like the movie. It's nice and all but some of the girls were really skanky but don't all strip clubs have a couple. I went back a year ago and left with 15 minutes. They wanted a $10 cover and $6 a BEER!! And this was on a regular night. Former UT QB Peter Gardere was the Football consultant in that movie as well. He even made the famous pass John Moxon threw sitting down on the bench to the referee.

BTW,if you couldn't tell I loved this movie but like everyone else said it was not accurate at all. Like no one would find out that a teacher was stripping on the side to make extra money!!!

:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-22-2004, 08:46 PM
I loved Varsity Blues. I've seen that movie numerous times, and I'm probably going to go watch it again within the next few days. Not entirely accurate, but hey, its football, and it was close enough for me. :D

handNthedirt
09-22-2004, 09:31 PM
is there an accurate football movie? Besides Junction Boys, I can't think of one...but I sure do like Pacino's speech in Any Given when he's talkin' 'bout inches! I also like when Lattimer gets his "place at the table" in Program.

random hero
09-22-2004, 09:49 PM
who doesn't like varsity blues? its football guys.who cares if its accurate or not,its an awesome movie that everyone should see.PARTY ON TWEETER!!!!

Bandera YaYa
09-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I loved it. Not completely accurate, but it comes real dang close. Earlier in the year Page 2 made another ranking, one where Bend it Like Beckham was ranked #24 over both Rudy and Varsity Blues. That was crap. Even I think Bend it Like Beckham sucks and I love soccer. Hey, I liked Bend it Like Beckam......what was wrong with it???? I thought it was really a good movie.....

hustla33
09-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Yea Graham had some racial prefrences cost them some games in 2001-2002 season and the 2002-2003 season but i wont go in to detail about it.