PDA

View Full Version : SLPYBEAR WEEKLY POLL -- Week #5 -- Do you have to play football to understand it?

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2004, 09:10 PM
This Week's Poll...

This week Slpybear would like to know if you believe that to truly understand football you have to get out there on the field and play it.

This is another poll that I really got a kick out of the responses last year. Lots of people had an opinion...

As always, polls should close on Friday. If you have a suggestion for the weekly poll, please drop me a PM.

Last Week's Poll...

What a great turnout for last week's poll.... 65 people voting with 2/3s saying that fans can significantly a game's outcome and 1/3 saying that the players gotta make it happen. Great question and I really enjoyed the responses!

For complete week 4 results click here... (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18802)
For complete week 3 results click here... (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18431)
For complete week 2 results click here... (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18150)
For complete week 1 results click here... (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17852)
For complete week 0.2 results click here... (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17671)
For complete week 0.1 results click here... (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17546)
For a Summary of the 2003 Poll Results, click here.... (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17444)

As always, I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Slpybear

Keith7
09-19-2004, 09:19 PM
When u play it, u get a totally different understanding about the preparation and intensity of the game, but when u watch it, u can still understand how things work..

I played football my whole life, and in high school spent alot of the time on the sidelines, but i believe i know as much if not more then some good players

LH Panther Mom
09-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I was raised on football, but honestly, I think to get a complete understanding of every facet of the game, it would definitely be beneficial to have played some games. (On the field, for you PS2 players. :D )

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I (On the field, for you PS2 players. :D )
LOL, good one...

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-19-2004, 10:04 PM
With PS2 now you don't have to play to understand.

Just kidding. There are many coverages that one would not know watching. I guess if you study then you could understand. But I agree with Kieth7, there is something to be said about playing the game.

dawgmom
09-19-2004, 11:28 PM
I have watched football for years, cheered in high school, even read "Football for Dummies" STOP LAUGHING NOW!!! There are still some aspects of the game that I think I would understand much better if I had ever actually played! Such as particular formations or coverages, etc. But no matter what, I love the game!

handNthedirt
09-20-2004, 08:37 AM
There is so much more to football than formations, coverages, blocking schemes, so on and so on. All of that can be learned by spectating, by anybody. The preparation, the blood, sweat, and tears, the grinding, the banging, the conditioning day in, and day out, the comrodery that is built through all of this with your boys, is something that one can never learn, unless one actually goes through it themselves. That, to me, is Football.

bullfrog_alumni_02
09-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
There is so much more to football than formations, coverages, blocking schemes, so on and so on. All of that can be learned by spectating, by anybody. The preparation, the blood, sweat, and tears, the grinding, the banging, the conditioning day in, and day out, the comrodery that is built through all of this with your boys, is something that one can never learn, unless one actually goes through it themselves. That, to me, is Football. that is very true, football is more than a game, its a total mind set. my coaches told me (and the rest of my old team) football is 10% physical and 90% mental i never really understood that untill i got out of school and now its just not the same on a ps2 or xbox

spiveyrat
09-20-2004, 09:26 AM
In true Clintonian fashion... it depends on your definition of "understand". :D

WOS1
09-20-2004, 11:57 AM
There is so much more to football than formations, coverages, blocking schemes, so on and so on. All of that can be learned by spectating, by anybody. The preparation, the blood, sweat, and tears, the grinding, the banging, the conditioning day in, and day out, the comrodery that is built through all of this with your boys, is something that one can never learn, unless one actually goes through it themselves. That, to me, is Football.

I agree and would also like to add the mental aspect as well, if you haven't played it, that part will be hard to understand and it makes more of a difference than one who hasn't played will believe.

slpybear the bullfan
09-20-2004, 12:12 PM

I agree... there are somethings about football that have to be learned and understood on summer mornings running gassers and "bearing" the lines.

Gobbla2001
09-20-2004, 05:11 PM
I'm having a hard time answering this question...

It's a 'yes' and a 'no' for me...

There are other parts to the game other than just the x's and o's that cannot be understood without time spent playing in afootball program etc...

YET, you can learn the x's and o's plus a little more and understand it as well...

Tough question...

VWG
09-20-2004, 05:32 PM
You know I like to watch hockey every now and then, but have never played it. I know if I studied the game more I would have a better knowledge of rules, strategies, etc... but until you are actually on the playing field (whatever sport) you cannot fully understand what it takes to play the game.

Bulldog_12
09-20-2004, 07:41 PM
There is a huge difference between playing and being a spectator. When you play you have such and understanding of how things go before and during a game. Many things that a normal spectator just wouldn't pick up on.I even get the feeling, being an ex-player, that I am out of the loop now that I no longer play. Being a spectator is just not the same and I am not really fond of it.

lobo12
09-21-2004, 11:09 PM
i think you can understand the game without playing it to a certain extent. you get a better feel of what is going on by playing it day in and day and actually being out there and seeing what happens. its true you can study the game, but if you played it all your life you just know more that the basics of the game

huff78
09-22-2004, 02:36 AM
IMHO, X's & O's, Formations, tendences, rules and such can all be learned by anyone who cares to watch the game.
But the part that, as an old man, I miss the most is something that I think is only understood by the ones playing on the field. The intense unexplainable tunnel vision that would cover you. In the middle of the field, with the stands packed, the band playing, people yelling, but all that chaos would fade back a hundred miles away. It would instantly become just you and the guy across the line, in battle. Hard to understand unless you have been there.

spiveyrat
09-22-2004, 07:10 AM
nm

spiveyrat
09-22-2004, 07:12 AM
nm

clayalan
09-22-2004, 10:32 AM
There is so much more to football than formations, coverages, blocking schemes, so on and so on. All of that can be learned by spectating, by anybody. The preparation, the blood, sweat, and tears, the grinding, the banging, the conditioning day in, and day out, the comrodery that is built through all of this with your boys, is something that one can never learn, unless one actually goes through it themselves. That, to me, is Football. i couldnt have said it better myself. You can NEVER fully understand the game if you havent played and jr high doesnt count.

clayalan
09-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by huff78
IMHO, X's & O's, Formations, tendences, rules and such can all be learned by anyone who cares to watch the game.
But the part that, as an old man, I miss the most is something that I think is only understood by the ones playing on the field. The intense unexplainable tunnel vision that would cover you. In the middle of the field, with the stands packed, the band playing, people yelling, but all that chaos would fade back a hundred miles away. It would instantly become just you and the guy across the line, in battle. Hard to understand unless you have been there. I like that Huff. You got me pumped This is my first season in 14 years that i havnt played . I dont know what to do with myself.

handNthedirt
09-22-2004, 09:03 PM
that's why I coach...can't imagine, don't even want to think about, a day away from the gridiron.

BullsFan
09-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Late to the party, but I think there are degrees. I never played football, but I have been watching it since that skeevy slpybear (;)) played. I don't understand it as well as he does or guys who have played it--but I do understand it a whooole lot better than some of the other fans sitting around me.

At what point are considered to completely understand football? Is there a final point? Or is it a case where there's always a learning curve?

bullfrog_alumni_02
09-26-2004, 05:26 AM
that's why I coach...can't imagine, don't even want to think about, a day away from the gridiron. you know, i agree w/ that statement completely, its why i have been considering becoming a coach, but for now ill just have to wait this all out...