PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young Or Reggie McNeal

CHSBaseball07
09-19-2004, 05:50 PM
If you had both of these guys on the same team..........who do you think would be better....................and who would be your starter if you were the coach ............
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/images/photo_galleries/2004_05/091204_arkansas/images/young_v.jpg

La Grange
09-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Reggie

3afan
09-19-2004, 06:01 PM
wow - thats tuff --- obviously vince has had a much better supporting cast the past fews years, its almost unfair to reggie ... i'll take veggie :hairpunk:

VWG
09-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Vince Young... he's proven it on the field that he is a better player than McNeal.

hsfootballrules
09-19-2004, 07:01 PM
no question Vince Young

big daddy russ
09-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Dustin Long

GreenGobbla
09-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Love them aggies, but have to go with Vince Young

CHSBaseball07
09-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Im glad to see everyone thinks the same as me!!!!

HOOK EM HORNS!!
He needs to work on his short yardage passing but Vince is my pick also

gobbler grad
09-19-2004, 07:17 PM
got to go with vince young----but dustin long didn't play that bad last night---shsu won big!!

BIGGBROTHER
09-19-2004, 07:18 PM
ask the linemen and they would say vince

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Chance Mock

edibleeggs
09-19-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm neither an aggie nor longhorn...but everyone let's keep this in mind... If reggie mcneal had the offensive line like vince has then who would be better. Also what if Reggie had the same receiving corps vince had last year. I mean come on...Reggie is quite good w/o having a good supporting cast...imagine adding the cast vince has..........................

crabman
09-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Ask the A&M players, they will say Vince Young. Reggie is not much of a leader. He's just Fran's boy.

intocable_cowboy
09-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Vince Young

Old Dog
09-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Do you actually think he is Fran's boy, or the best he inherited from ole R.C.?

KTJ
09-19-2004, 10:27 PM
VY

(That's Vince Young for those who couldn't figure it out.)

Chance Mock is doing just fine--as a backup, right where he needs to be.

Bellville22
09-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Do you actually think he is Fran's boy, or the best he inherited from ole R.C.?

'KL3' can clarify this for me, but I'm fairly sure that Reggie was heavily recruited by Fran while he was at Alabama.

And I spoke about this topic on the other "Reggie McNeal" post. As a QB, I think he's better than Vince... he's smarter, better mechanics, better arm strength, better accuracy, and while he may not quite be the runner Vince is, Reggie can certainly hold his own running the ball (129 yds rushing vs. a very fast Clemson D).

Somebody nailed it... Vince is surrounded by superior athletes. Surround Reggie with the athletes Young has, and I think you've got a better offense than the one Vince is running.

bullfrog_alumni_02
09-20-2004, 09:26 AM
well if were all gonna pull other players...im gonna go w/ major applewhite. i utterly despise chris simms.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
VY

(That's Vince Young for those who couldn't figure it out.)

Chance Mock is doing just fine--as a backup, right where he needs to be. Chance Mock proved that he is a leader last year whenever he brought Texas back to beat Texas Tech with 1:30 left in the game. Mock's composure is unrivaled by Vince Young. Mock is a better passer and leader, and Young is a better runner and a very gifted athelete. The choice is hard, but I would much rather have an experienced and proven player than one who will crumble under adversity. Young has yet to do this, but he will, trust me, he will.

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Young has yet to do this, but he will, trust me, he will. Why should we trust you?

3afan
09-20-2004, 10:01 AM
I trust you BBDE !!!

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Does BBDE possess some unworldly football knowledge that makes him clairvoyant? Does he have some sort of esp? Or is he just a Texas hater?

KTJ
09-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Chance Mock proved that he is a leader last year whenever he brought Texas back to beat Texas Tech with 1:30 left in the game. Mock's composure is unrivaled by Vince Young. Mock is a better passer and leader, and Young is a better runner and a very gifted athelete. The choice is hard, but I would much rather have an experienced and proven player than one who will crumble under adversity. Young has yet to do this, but he will, trust me, he will.

While I do credit Mock with the come from behind victory over Tech, that doesn't mean he is the overall better leader, and athlete of the two.

I don't know if you have seen UT play this year or went to the spring and fall practices but I have. VY is the clear leader on the team right now. He gets in teammate's faces when they screw up, hypes up the team when the need it, and other teammates have even made it public that he is the leader and has stepped it up this year.

Could Mock do what VY is doing? Possibly. But is he the overall better QB. No. And the vast majority of Longhorn fans will tell you that in an instant.

Also--Mock has crumbled under pressure numerous times--Arkie, OU just to name a few.

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I don't know if you have seen UT play this year or went to the spring and fall practices but I have. VY is the clear leader on the team right now. He gets in teammate's faces when they screw up, hypes up the team when the need it, and other teammates have even made it public that he is the leader and has stepped it up this year. This is what most people fail to recognize. Most folks don't have a clue what goes on during practice. I'm glad to hear it from somebody that's been there.

Old Tiger
09-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Vince Young............................................. ..............................

Hupernikomen
09-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Hard to say who would be the best here or there..I mean Troy Aikman and Steve Young were dern good quarterbacks...who would do what if they had swapped...pure conjecturing...

However, I know who will be calling plays on Sunday a few years from now.

Vince--size, athleticism, and talent.

Reggie won't be a NFL qb.

handNthedirt
09-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Bucky Richardson!!!

KL3
09-20-2004, 12:49 PM
How some of you would rather have Vincent over Reggie at QB is beyond me. How can you watch Vince try to throw and say he is a QB, not a RB playing QB as Lee Corso said on Gameday last weekend?

Vince is very lucky he had Roy Williams and that good offensive line last year. This year he won't be able to throw it as far as he can and let Roy make a play. This year he will actually have to read a defense, go through his progressions, and then make an accurate throw. I can count on 2 hands the number of times I've actually seen him do that.

Now, I missed a little bit of the Arkansas game, but from what I saw, Vince looks like he has actually regressed passing the ball, and he looked horrible to begin with. Most HS QB's have better mechanics than he does. He was 11/22 in that game, with only 5 completions going to a WR. Probably 8 of those completions came on an out or stop route, the easiest throws to make. Go back and look at the North Texas game, its the same thing. If Vince is such a good QB, why is the passing game focused on those throws?

The reason is b/c Vince is not able to read a defense, he is not able to sit in the pocket and go through his progressions, and he is not able to make an accurate pass other than an out route.

Yes, Texas is still successful b/c they have superior athletes to most teams and are able to get away with not having a passing game. But they will not beat teams that have comparable athletes, like OU, Arkansas (if not for a fumble on their own 10, Arkansas wins both years), Washington St., who are able to contain their running game.

Reggie on the other hand, is playing the best ball of his career against good competition. He is #5 in the country in total offense and has yet to turnover the ball. Because he has the advantage in all the categories Bellville22 mentioned above, he will continue to improve, be a better college QB, and be the only 1 of these two who plays QB in the NFL.

KTJ
09-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by KL3
How some of you would rather have Vincent over Reggie at QB is beyond me. How can you watch Vince try to throw and say he is a QB, not a RB playing QB as Lee Corso said on Gameday last weekend?

Vince is very lucky he had Roy Williams and that good offensive line last year. This year he won't be able to throw it as far as he can and let Roy make a play. This year he will actually have to read a defense, go through his progressions, and then make an accurate throw. I can count on 2 hands the number of times I've actually seen him do that.

Now, I missed a little bit of the Arkansas game, but from what I saw, Vince looks like he has actually regressed passing the ball, and he looked horrible to begin with. Most HS QB's have better mechanics than he does. He was 11/22 in that game, with only 5 completions going to a WR. Probably 8 of those completions came on an out or stop route, the easiest throws to make. Go back and look at the North Texas game, its the same thing. If Vince is such a good QB, why is the passing game focused on those throws?

The reason is b/c Vince is not able to read a defense, he is not able to sit in the pocket and go through his progressions, and he is not able to make an accurate pass other than an out route.

Yes, Texas is still successful b/c they have superior athletes to most teams and are able to get away with not having a passing game. But they will not beat teams that have comparable athletes, like OU, Arkansas (if not for a fumble on their own 10, Arkansas wins both years), Washington St., who are able to contain their running game.

Reggie on the other hand, is playing the best ball of his career against good competition. He is #5 in the country in total offense and has yet to turnover the ball. Because he has the advantage in all the categories Bellville22 mentioned above, he will continue to improve, be a better college QB, and be the only 1 of these two who plays QB in the NFL.

wow. unbelievable.

But they will not beat teams that have comparable athletes, like OU, Arkansas (if not for a fumble on their own 10, Arkansas wins both years), Washington St., who are able to contain their running game.

Neither will Aggy.

big daddy russ
09-20-2004, 01:25 PM
For the first time, I'm taking a side in this argument... KL3 is absolutely correct. Vince is a danger to those who can't tackle him and only those who can't tackle him.

Reggie showed us this last week that he is starting to use his feet to set up his arm. The Aggies started carving up the Clemson defense between Reggie and Courtney Lewis, going with the option early on, and kept the defense on its feet. Then they worked themselves into the big passes.

The week before, against Wyoming, Reggie made several terrific throws downfield. One of them to his TE while he was on the run towards the sideline, being pursued by a blitzing DB, going across his body to deliver the throw through a window of 4 DB's. Another was the TD throw to Franks. It was right in the cradle and that's a tough throw to make with a defender on your receiver's hip. While I'm not on the Reggie bandwagon just yet, I'd still take him over Vince.

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by KL3
...Arkansas (if not for a fumble on their own 10, Arkansas wins both years), Proof that Aggies will never EVER give credit where credit is due when it comes to Texas. I'm sure that the coverage downfield causing pressure on the QB had absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that he fumbled. Or the fact that the Texas defender got around his blocker to make a very athletic play to strip the ball. Give me a break.:rolleyes:

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Go to the third post for last year's stats and this year's stats.

Reggie vs. Vince (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18887&perpage=15&pagenumber=2)

Hupernikomen
09-20-2004, 02:06 PM
NFL coaches are slobbering over Young not McNeal. Both are tremendous athletes but Young has the tools to be the next McNair or Vick.

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 02:46 PM
And NFL coaches couldn't care less about what school you go to.

OldBrahma04
09-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Anybody that chooses Reggie over Vincent Yound must be an Aggie, because everyone else knows the Vincent is far superior. . even though he does have much more talent in the receiving dept.

Bellville22
09-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by KL3

Ding Ding Ding!!! :clap: We have a winner! Great post 'KL3'!

Bellville22
09-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
NFL coaches are slobbering over Young not McNeal. Both are tremendous athletes but Young has the tools to be the next McNair or Vick.

You're right, NFL coaches are slobbering over Young. He's gonna make one hell of a WR in the pros.

Seriously man, please don't ever compare Vince (my mechanics suck and I can't read a D) Young to one Michael Vick....ever....ever...as long as there's football, please don't do that. It's an insult to Vick, who looks as pretty as anyone throwing the football, and who is more accurate and has more arm strength than Vince has even in his dreams. It's also an insult to the NFL and the game of football.

Hupernikomen
09-20-2004, 04:29 PM
I have seen Vincent Young sling a ball and he has the tools. Reading the defense will come with experience.

DawgFan91
09-20-2004, 05:40 PM
I like Reggie and think he will be fine, but the argument's being made for him over VY are just stupid. Sure Reggie is getting better. How can you play any worse than he did in the game against Utah? Maybe he didn't turn the ball over but he was missing so badly, no one on the field was near his passes. Wyoming--terrible, Clemson--terrible(they barely beat a bad Wake Forest team and also lose to a bad G Tech). Vince did all he needed to against North Texas and while he wasn't great against Arkansas, he got the win. I may be wrong but McNeal is the one with at least one returning starter at WR in Murphy. VY lost his top 3 WR's from last year and this group of youngsters UT is breaking in aren't stepping up. I know for a fact that in the Arkansas game Limas Sweed screwed up two routes royally that should've been big plays. How confident can a QB be when he doesn't know what the WR is going to do when he lets the ball go?

Philip Rivers throws funny too, didn't hurt him.

big daddy russ
09-20-2004, 05:51 PM
But then again, Huper, the NFL didn't exactly salivate over Chris Weinke (too old), Josh Heupel (arm strength), Danny Wuerrfel (ditto), Josh Hamilton (size), or Major Applewhite (size and PT... and my second-favorite example only to Hamilton). They still made better college QB's than even Dan Marino or (to a lesser extend) Cade McNown. Still, McNown and Marino were more coveted by big clubs than any of these successful college players.

Marino's my favorite player of all time, but dang he choked his senior year at Pitt.

AggieJohn
09-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Vince Young... he's proven it on the field that he is a better player than McNeal.

are you serious....what games have you been watching

AggieJohn
09-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Ask the A&M players, they will say Vince Young. Reggie is not much of a leader. He's just Fran's boy.

Fran's never asked him to step up into the leadership role, he's got jaxson and t-murph that do that on both sides of the ball....yes i know, stereotypically the offense runs it's leadership through it's QB, but that's not frans style of play

AggieJohn
09-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Hard to say who would be the best here or there..I mean Troy Aikman and Steve Young were dern good quarterbacks...who would do what if they had swapped...pure conjecturing...

However, I know who will be calling plays on Sunday a few years from now.

Vince--size, athleticism, and talent.

Reggie won't be a NFL qb.

i agree, i think he's picked up to play WR, he sweeps to much to make it in a pro offense, then again the only reason that he sweeps is because of the line that breaks

AggieJohn
09-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Ding Ding Ding!!! :clap: We have a winner! Great post 'KL3'!

nice post

AggieJohn
09-20-2004, 06:14 PM
i think there is too much hype over moving to the next level....let's think about it for a second folks....when you were in high school, you played QB didn't you......well then you move on to go play at college because you were good.....now you get to college, your not superior to as many players on your team now, never the less you play, but you've been moved to WR because you are fast and the qb that you have now has a better fit for the coaches system than your type of play....now you go through 4 good years at your school and it's time to declare yourself eligible for the draft, you get picked up, and now you are moved back to QB all because the coach likes the type of athlete you are and yoru past experience.......and you excel there

Let's think about this for a second folks, although this is not the best example in the world. it's still an adequate example of how being a Qb in one system doesn't mean that you are not still an a good athlete if you get moved out of qb in the next system, it's you adjusting to the coaches decision of where to put you to help the team out......

This is what could happen to reggie, this is what could happen for vince.....think about if vince got picked up by the packers, who all they have known is farve staying in the back field, they both love to scramble and there isn't a o-line that is created for that....so they move vince around.....

being moved isn't a bad thing. it's being a team player doing whatever it takes to win the game for the team.....

KL3
09-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Seriously, with as much time as you people spend around football, I would think you would actually know the game and at least have a clue of what your talking about, but I guess not.

KTJ, I know its probably hard for you to understand a post with facts in it, but if you and your other longhorn friends are still not convinced, here's what Kirk Bohls, the LONGHORN BEAT WRITER for the AUSTIN AMERICAN STATESMEN wrote:

"McNeal is a more finished product than Texas' Vince Young, who's had only nine starts and won eight. He is calmer and more decisive in the pocket and definitely more accurate downfield."

AND

"Except for that stirring upset of top-ranked Oklahoma when he was a freshman, McNeal's never looked better. He has demonstrated a poise and maturity that belies his skimpy résumé of just 15 college starts, and he is so much better than his 6-9 record under center. The game has slowed down for the Aggie junior, who he has sped up with his reads and his runs."

Hupernikomen, exactly where did you hear that NFL coaches are slobbering over Vince?

Oh, and KTJ, here's the link to the article if you want to see it for yourself, but I doubt you need it because I've seen how you respond to posts with such intelligence and insight like "wow, unbelievable."

Bohl's Article (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/bohls/09/19bohls.html)

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by explayer2001
Fran's never asked him to step up into the leadership role... To quote Donald Trump, "A leader should never be asked to lead. He just does it."

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Seriously, with as much time as you people spend around football, I would think you would actually know the game and at least have a clue of what your talking about, but I guess not.

KTJ, I know its probably hard for you to understand a post with facts in it, but if you and your other longhorn friends are still not convinced, here's what Kirk Bohls, the LONGHORN BEAT WRITER for the AUSTIN AMERICAN STATESMEN wrote:

"McNeal is a more finished product than Texas' Vince Young, who's had only nine starts and won eight. He is calmer and more decisive in the pocket and definitely more accurate downfield."

AND

"Except for that stirring upset of top-ranked Oklahoma when he was a freshman, McNeal's never looked better. He has demonstrated a poise and maturity that belies his skimpy résumé of just 15 college starts, and he is so much better than his 6-9 record under center. The game has slowed down for the Aggie junior, who he has sped up with his reads and his runs."

Hupernikomen, exactly where did you hear that NFL coaches are slobbering over Vince?

Oh, and KTJ, here's the link to the article if you want to see it for yourself, but I doubt you need it because I've seen how you respond to posts with such intelligence and insight like "wow, unbelievable."

Bohl's Article (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/bohls/09/19bohls.html) One person's opinion. What's so shocking about that?

KTJ
09-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by KL3

AND

Bohl's Article (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/bohls/09/19bohls.html)

So you're attacking me because I don't agree with you and I have my own opinion. Nice job there skip. And since when does the world revolve around Kirk Bohls? He's just stating his opinion, jjust like I did. Did I call you stupid for your post? I don't think I did. So I don't see the justification for you doing it to me. (Just in case you don't know what I'm talking about, I posted it below.)

I've seen how you respond to posts with such intelligence and insight like "wow, unbelievable."

KTJ, I know its probably hard for you to understand a post with facts in it,

Hupernikomen
09-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Just my opinion. I think Vince is the prototypical qb of what the NFL is looking for. I believe he will gain more consistency and I think the numbers show he completion rate are favorable with McNeal. His size, speed and athleticism is what I think will have scouts excited. I haven't researched it to see what they actually think so maybe I am totally wrong. Kinda like knees and elbows we all have opinions and I shamelessly stated my unexpertised one on this subject.

DawgFan91
09-20-2004, 10:54 PM
He is a little inconsistent on his passing right now to be a "prototypical" QB. McNabb wasn't really that accurate in college either and wasn't real accurate his first year or two in the NFL, but he got better. Young will get better when he gets more confidence in himself, the system and his yound WR's.

Hupernikomen
09-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by DawgFan91
He is a little inconsistent on his passing right now to be a "prototypical" QB. McNabb wasn't really that accurate in college either and wasn't real accurate his first year or two in the NFL, but he got better. Young will get better when he gets more confidence in himself, the system and his yound WR's.

All I know is that his numbers aren't that bad and he has wheels and a very strong arm; he is s a 6'5" play making machine. Does he have a lot of maturing to do? Of course. He wasn't the #1 ranked player coming out of HS for nothing. Compare his stats in his 2nd year (this year) to what Michael Vick had in his second year. Vick has the advantage in speed, but Vince is pretty fast.

Funny how some a&m supporters are on here one week clamoring for McNeal to go WR and then other are on here talking about him being better than Young the next.

I can tell you one thing, you won't find any Longhorn fans begging Mack to put Young at the wideout spot.

AggieJohn
09-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
To quote Donald Trump, "A leader should never be asked to lead. He just does it." so he's not a leader, it's not like he boast his greatness, honestly, you want to pick on our qb because he has talent

AggieJohn
09-20-2004, 11:49 PM
All I know is that his numbers aren't that bad and he has wheels and a very strong arm; he is s a 6'5" play making machine. Does he have a lot of maturing to do? Of course. He wasn't the #1 ranked player coming out of HS for nothing. Compare his stats in his 2nd year (this year) to what Michael Vick had in his second year. Vick has the advantage in speed, but Vince is pretty fast.

Funny how some a&m supporters are on here one week clamoring for McNeal to go WR and then other are on here talking about him being better than Young the next.

I can tell you one thing, you won't find any Longhorn fans begging Mack to put Young at the wideout spot. yes i did say that we should move him to WR.i'm still in favor of that, i think he's going to be good at either position, we have a good back up in ty brannon and i think that having reggie, ty, t-murph and lewis on the field will be awesome

big daddy russ
09-21-2004, 12:31 AM
[BFunny how some a&m supporters are on here one week clamoring for McNeal to go WR and then other are on here talking about him being better than Young the next.
[/B]
It's me, I'll admit it. I'm just lower on Young as a QB than McNeal. I personally don't think that a team can win it all without some sort of passing threat, and Young's arm doesn't scare me at all. The last team to win without some sort of air attack was Nebraska a decade ago. Even Ohio State had Krenzel to bail them out when he absolutely needed to. Now if Young can prove me wrong, great. I just don't see it happening.

You know, for the first time since I've been following him Reggie's starting to put it together. He's been wild the past two years, but this year I've seen steady progression... not just from one quarter to the next but also from game to game. For the first time in his career he's starting to become a stable QB. I've been harder on him than anyone... I thought he was a horrible decision-maker and that he was just an athlete with a cannon, not a true QB. But he started to wake up in the second quarter of that Wyoming game and has been hot the past 7 quarters. I still think of Young as an athlete with a cannon.

AggieJohn
09-21-2004, 12:48 AM
good insight

Hupernikomen
09-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It's me, I'll admit it. I'm just lower on Young as a QB than McNeal. I personally don't think that a team can win it all without some sort of passing threat, and Young's arm doesn't scare me at all. The last team to win without some sort of air attack was Nebraska a decade ago. Even Ohio State had Krenzel to bail them out when he absolutely needed to. Now if Young can prove me wrong, great. I just don't see it happening.

You know, for the first time since I've been following him Reggie's starting to put it together. He's been wild the past two years, but this year I've seen steady progression... not just from one quarter to the next but also from game to game. For the first time in his career he's starting to become a stable QB. I've been harder on him than anyone... I thought he was a horrible decision-maker and that he was just an athlete with a cannon, not a true QB. But he started to wake up in the second quarter of that Wyoming game and has been hot the past 7 quarters. I still think of Young as an athlete with a cannon.

Sounds like a fair assessment to me. I just happen to believe that young is 20 year old kid that will be drafted in the top 5 whenever he decides to come out and that a team will be willing to try and teach him how to aim his cannon and read defenses better.

Panther Ross
09-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Reggie without a doubt, he has a better arm, and if he had the texas o line he would be like Vick.

Panther Ross
09-21-2004, 10:40 AM

I agree with the question about Vick, as well as everything else, since when did all this mess about Vick come in.

Panther Ross
09-21-2004, 10:42 AM

Oh man that is funny!

Panther Ross
09-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by OldBrahma04
Anybody that chooses Reggie over Vincent Yound must be an Aggie, because everyone else knows the Vincent is far superior. . even though he does have much more talent in the receiving dept.

Since when did Vick have more completing percentages than McNeal. Vince Young is GOOD, not great. He can't throw at all but can run really well but not better than Mc Neal. The only reason why he may have more yards is that he has a better o line.

AggieJohn
09-22-2004, 01:47 AM
plus reggie's birthday was the day before yesterday...ha!

Bellville22
09-22-2004, 10:58 AM
doh:doh:

Bellville22
09-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Pretty good article on Reggie from the Austin paper...

----------

McNeal blossoming into gifted quarterback in third year

By Olin Buchanan

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

COLLEGE STATION -- Two years ago Reggie McNeal came to Texas A&M as a prized quarterback recruit, and now it appears that he's finally arrived.

Always a great athlete, McNeal looks to have blossomed into a great quarterback after back-to-back wins over Wyoming and Clemson. His performance level has matched the high expectations he faced when he signed with A&M as a high school All-American out of Lufkin.

But the climb hasn't been an easy one.

Just three games into his junior year, McNeal has worked with three offensive coordinators during his college career, worked behind makeshift offensive lines and worked through shoulder surgery to get to a point where he's now working over defenses.

"The last two weeks have been excellent games by Reggie," A&M Coach Dennis Franchione said. "You always find a play or two he could have done better, but the issues that stick out the most are his management of the offense, his leadership, his maturity and his decision-making."

McNeal demonstrated all of the above on an over-the-middle completion to tight end Boone Stutz during the Aggies' 27-6 win over Clemson on Saturday.

The play from the sideline called for a deep post to a receiver, and when Clemson shifted into a defensive that would take away that pass, Franchione almost took a time out.

"Reggie handled it beautifully and didn't force anything downfield," Franchione said. "He was patient and found Boone. Those are the things I don't think he'd have done last year as well."

McNeal agreed.

"Everything is slowing down," he said. "I can read everything that much quicker. I can look at defenses and react to what they're doing."

McNeal has been a quick study, but his development might have come more quickly if not for a head-spinning change of coaches. His first offensive coordinator was Dino Babers, who then-head coach R.C. Slocum demoted in favor of Kevin Sumlin three games into McNeal's freshman year. The next season Slocum was replaced by Franchione, who brought in Les Koenning as offensive coordinator.

"I think if you're not very intelligent, (all the changes) can be a big problem," said Babers, who is now a receivers coach at UCLA. "I don't think Reggie McNeal had a problem at all."

Inherent ability and good instincts were never a problem for McNeal, who threw four touchdown passes during a 30-26 upset of No. 1-ranked Oklahoma his freshman year. But that wasn't enough to bail him and the Aggies out of trouble last season, when he was basically without a tight end and operated behind an offensive line that was average at best.

The results were predictable. The Aggies finished 4-8, and McNeal threw just one more touchdown pass (8) than interception (7).

"You think you know the offense and you're learning it," McNeal said. "Then out on the field everything is moving around so fast some things don't click like you want them to. After a while your confidence is down. But if you hang around, everything falls into place."

It all looks to be falling into place.

The offensive line is better, boosted by the return of tackle Jami Hightower, who missed the 2003 season with a staph infection. A&M's tight ends have already caught seven passes -- the same amount they caught all of last season. And McNeal, who had off-season shoulder surgery, is looking better than ever.

Although he struggled in a season-opening 41-21 loss to Utah, he still ran for two touchdowns, including one of 53 yards. He followed that by hitting 17 of 24 passes for 298 yards and a touchdown in a 31-0 win over Wyoming. It was the best statistical performance of his collegiate career.

Against Clemson, he hit 14 of 26 passes for 178 yards and rushed 17 times for 129 yards .

Babers was envisioning those kind of performances two years ago. It was just a matter of when.

"You never know when the lights go totally on," he said.

Apparently, that time has arrived. And so has McNeal.

obuchanan@statesman.com; 445-3952

Hupernikomen
09-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Panther Ross

I agree with the question about Vick, as well as everything else, since when did all this mess about Vick come in.

When Vince first went to college they said he would be a top 5 draft pick if not #1. I don't follow the college scene that much so maybe I am way off on my assessment. I just think with his "raw" skills he will be drafted very high and as a qb. His size and ability is too good to pass up. Just the way I see. I am not an expert and don't claim to be. Perhaps McNeal will be the best qb of all time as far as I know, and Young will be his receiver.

Oakflat
09-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Both are great qb's and are having good seasons. I would take Young for a number of reasons and they don't have to do with the physicality of football. They are both superior athletes, the two of them may be the two most athletic qb's in the country. However, I think Young has a slight edge. But I will make my decision based on their on the field performances. So far in their early careers Young has a better winning percentage, is clearly a better leader, and outplayed McNeal in last years head to head competition. McNeal probably wasn't the best pure quarterback on the team until Long left...... If anything A&M tries to showcase and uses McNeal alot more than Texas does with Young. Texas uses Benson as their feature player, not Young. If they used him as their only threat he would put up some great numbers running........... Young may not have the best mechanics, but he was the top rated player coming out of high school, and has had a better career so far. And I disagree with KL3, he will be in the pros. They said the same thing about Marino when he came out of Pitt, and I believe he turned out o.k.

AggieJohn
09-22-2004, 01:43 PM
yeah all reggie's done is rush for 259 yards already and pass for 686

where as vince has only done about 200 combined for both rushing and passing in each of texas's first two games

Kool Tarpon 21
09-22-2004, 01:48 PM
In my opinion, I think that Vince Young is better than Reggie McNeal, but I give credit to both players. I think that they're both good. They both have their own qualities.

KTJ
09-22-2004, 01:48 PM
yeah all reggie's done is rush for 259 yards already and pass for 686

where as vince has only done about 200 combined for both rushing and passing in each of texas's first two games

That's probably because Reggie is Aggy's offense. Whereas VY is just one of many offensive weapons we have.

AggieJohn
09-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Kool Tarpon 21
In my opinion, I think that Vince Young is better than Reggie McNeal, but I give credit to both players. I think that they're both good. They both have their own qualities.

but your schools helment resembles the A&M helmet....

Kool Tarpon 21
09-22-2004, 01:55 PM
but your schools helment resembles the A&M helmet....

Unfortunately, it does. I can't change it though.

KL3
09-22-2004, 04:34 PM
KTJ, its when you say things like that that makes me shake my head.

Oakflat, don't you think Young has a better winning percentage b/c of the greater talent he has around him? You put Reggie in that texas' offense, and he'll put up the same numbers and winning percentage.

About Reggie's leadership, he may not be the most vocal type of leader, but he leads by example. Like last year, when he tore his rotator cuff of his throwing shoulder in the 5th game of the year and played the rest of the season. What about later in the season, when he had a minor hip pointer? And this year, with a broken thumb, he is forced to make handoffs to the RB with his right hand. What better way to LEAD your team than to continue playing through surgery-required injuries and giving it your all through a terrible season?

Also, Vince Young is not the best "pure" QB on his team either. That would be Chance Mock. But that doesn't matter, b/c Reggie and Vince both give their teams a better chance to win.

Oakflat, have you watched every single minute of every A&M game this season, or the past 2 years. I disagree with your comment about A&M using McNeal moreso than Texas does with Young. Vince had almost 1000 yds rushing last year. Why? Well, mostly b/c the coaches knew he could not run a passing offense, so they would call plays that he could do best, and they are still doing it this year. Option, QB draws, and bootlegs that give him the option to run or pass.

When you say "doesn't have the best mechanics", I think your giving Vince a little too much credit. You'd be hardpressed to find a QB in the NCAA that has worse. You all keep saying he will improve. Well, Chris Simms came to texas as the #1 QB recruit in the nation as well, and he was 1 pick away from being drafted in the 4th round. Whats the same since he was in school? The coaching staff. And so what about Vince being the top player out of HS, do you think NFL scouts say, "oh, here comes Mr. 1 recruit, we HAVE to draft him?" Plus, I do think Vince will be an NFL player, and a pretty good one, but just not at QB.

Finally, I could have gone through every city newspaper in the state and found an article praising McNeal, but I picked the ones from Austin b/c they are the only ones out of all of us who get to see Vince on a daily basis, and they STILL say Reggie is a more polished QB.

KL3
09-22-2004, 04:36 PM
That may have been my last reply, because I'm tired of winning this argument.

JasperDog94
09-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by KL3
That may have been my last reply, because I'm tired of winning this argument. You keep thinking that. We'll let you.;) ;)

Bellville22
09-22-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by KL3

Very well done! Great points, backed up with good evidence. You've completely dominated this argument.

AggieJohn
09-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by KL3

whoop

JasperDog94
09-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Very well done! Great points, backed up with good evidence. You've completely dominated this argument. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

KTJ
09-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by KL3
KTJ, its when you say things like that that makes me shake my head.

So I don't, and never will, agree with you--big freakin deal.

Panther Ross
09-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
That's probably because Reggie is Aggy's offense. Whereas VY is just one of many offensive weapons we have.

I am afraid you are wrong on that one, Courtney Lewis, Terrence Murphy, have you forgotten about them?

JasperDog94
09-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Panther Ross
I am afraid you are wrong on that one, Courtney Lewis, Terrence Murphy, have you forgotten about them? Percentage wise, Reggie is more of A&M's offense than Vince is of Texas offense.

CHSBaseball07
09-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Thats because A&M's offense sucks....and texas' doesnt.....we have a back that will get us 150 plus every game this year.........and what do yall have with courtney lewis......who is good........but dang.......Reggie will never find the field on Sunday when it matters....VINCE WILL!