PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City youth proud to go against Jasper

Old Cardinal
09-19-2004, 01:08 PM
I talked to some Juniors in HS from Bridge City about the upcoming game against the premier Jasper team. They know and understand that they are a 45 point underdog entering this contest. One youngster said "We are mostly a Junior team and they are mostly a Senior team so it should be a good learning experience for us. We just hope we can give a good account of ourselves! Not many teams in 3A will get to take on the likes of the Jasper Bulldogs".

BC has put a 3-0 record together this year to the surprise of almost every one. This past Friday they led LC-M by 28-0 in the third quarter and played every one on the bench at least one quarter of play. That heavy substitution in the third and fourth quarter almost cost them the ballgame. The Bears with 22 seasoned Seniors came roaring back trying to capitalize on the Cardinals generousity.

The BC boys realize fully that even though Liberty, Kirbyville and LC-M tested their teamwork bond: that Jasper has played some much stiffer teams in preseason....I love the attitude of the BC youth going into this game in that they see it as a stepping stone in getting a bit better before District starts. They are so appreciative that Jasper would allow them on their preseason schedule.

whatusay2
09-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Oh please! This is a little too much--even for you Old Bird. Jasper will not take BC for granted this Friday and will come to play. :mad:

Gobbla2001
09-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by whatusay2
Oh please! This is a little too much--even for you Old Bird. Jasper will not take BC for granted this Friday and will come to play. :mad:

What's too much about that?

Did you see anything in there saying Jasper 'will' take BC for granted?

Either you read into things 'too' much or you do not read 'too' much at all...

shankbear
09-19-2004, 03:56 PM
WHATYOUREAD2......SAYWHAT??/ Nobody...not even OLD Card said anything about Jasper taking BC for granted. Are you a bit sensitive today?? BC has to be at a double digit disadvantage. Chill dude.

3afan
09-19-2004, 03:57 PM
oh, leave OC alone !!!

GS#17
09-19-2004, 04:05 PM
The Bears with 22 seasoned Seniors came roaring back trying to capitalize on the Cardinals generousity.

Come on, OC, it's mlc, not the New England Patirots! You guys took it to a very poor 4A team who has not had an over .500 season since 1997. Congratulations on the win over a cross-county rival, but let's keep things in perspective.

I agree with the rest of your post, though. Playing a team like Jasper does nothing but good for your program. BC is definitely an underdog, but playing a team of their caliber will certainly pay off in the long run.

3afan
09-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
... mlc ...

http://www.dyslexia.com/ :D :D :D

Gobbla2001
09-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
http://www.dyslexia.com/ :D :D :D

www.YouAreOviouslyNotFromTheGoldenTriangle.com (heck, me either)

Little Cypress is the school, Mauriceville can go either in front or behind Little Cypress...

3afan
09-19-2004, 04:45 PM
i've never, ever seen it as M-LC ...... hey i'm just bored watching the cowboys ......

Gobbla2001
09-19-2004, 04:50 PM
i've never, ever seen it as M-LC ...... hey i'm just bored watching the cowboys ......

I was just trying to correct you before they did in an ugly way ha...

I've only seen it as LCM myself, but that just may be 'Golden Triangle' talk...

Junkyard
09-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Hey Old Card Jasper does have a few seniors on this years team but we are not a senior heavy team, in fact there are only 6 seniors that have starting positons. And Jasper only has 32 players total on the roster.

dawgmom
09-19-2004, 05:19 PM

At least you can see the Cowboys....I HATE DIRECTV!!!

GS#17
09-19-2004, 06:55 PM
3Afan, fortunately, I don't have a learning disability, but thank you for your concern. It's just a WOS joke about that particular school... I call them mlc for a few reasons; however, to make a long story short, it's kind of like the UT/tu thing.

Old Cardinal
09-19-2004, 09:16 PM
To Whatusay2: I am at a loss as to your tangent comment about "Jasper not taking BC lightly" That was never mentioned!
I appears that many folks have started to fantasize something like this "I know what he said, but let me try to figure out what he really might have meant so that I can conjure up a cutting remark." I have talked to several quality posters that have about quite initiating threads because people don't comment on the information shared in the thread but instead launch out on their own with accusations that was not even said or even implyed in the post.

To GS #17: The parents, fans, faculty and students of LC-M were quite proud of the way their ball team came back to play in the late third and fourth quarter. The BC fans are also very proud to be undefeated at this point. I understand that neither of our teams are ranked in the top 5, but to ridicule youth that are giving their all to represent their school? Personally I think LC-M is a quality group of sportsman-like players and exemplary fans.

It is my hope that comments on new threads for all posters could be limited to the content of the new threads and not used as a launching pad for strange comments and accusations that have nothing to do with the verbage of the original post.

j_dog
09-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
..... They are so appreciative that Jasper would allow them on their preseason schedule.
OC, for the most part I liked your post. But the statement "They are so appreciative that Jasper would allow them on their preseason schedule" may be what set off some comments. You just as well could reverse that statement. Jasper is so appreciative that BC would allow them on their preseason schedule. And that would be the truth. Jasper is not some kind of royalty that gets to pick who they play. The truth is more like they play whoever will play them. There are a few teams around who will not duck a tough opponent. I am sure you know who they are. Bridge City is one of them. WO-S, PNG and Newton are some more. So guess who is on Jasper's schedule! All these schools have the same problem if you might want to call it a problem. I heard Coach Hooks on the radio name names of schools around your area who refused to play WO-S this year. Anyway, we appreciate being on YOUR BC schedule! :) It will make both teams better. Good luck to the Cardinals! :)

j_dog
09-19-2004, 10:44 PM
3Afan, fortunately, I don't have a learning disability, but thank you for your concern. It's just a WOS joke about that particular school... I call them mlc for a few reasons; however, to make a long story short, it's kind of like the UT/tu thing.
i like the name mlc. it is most appropriate for those who know some of the stories. :devil:

DawgFan91
09-19-2004, 10:50 PM
I second j dog's comments. I think that quote may have triggered some of the comments. When I first read the post, I thought it was either a joke, or an old Lou Holtz pre-game news conference. If I didn't know a thing about 3A football, I would've thought that Jasper was the 10 time defending state champion. I don't care who has played who so far, there is no way Jasper is a 45 point favorite. BC, IMHO, has improved each week. (With maybe the exception of the 2nd half last week) It'll be a good game. Jasper is going to get everyone's best effort from here on.

Hupernikomen
09-19-2004, 11:39 PM
What site has Jasper a 45 point favorite?
BC has beaten a couple of 3A teams that were suppose to be pretty good this year.

exbccards76'smom
09-20-2004, 05:46 AM
I believe the heat took it's toll last Friday night. everyone at BC should call the trainer and thank him for keeping the guys hydrated!!

spiveyrat
09-20-2004, 07:03 AM
I find the 45 pts a little "over-the-top" too...

3afan
09-20-2004, 07:06 AM

OK - i get it. you learn something new (not always useful) every day on the DLOW !!!!!!

PPHSfan
09-20-2004, 07:15 AM
I appears that many folks have started to fantasize something like this "I know what he said, but let me try to figure out what he really might have meant so that I can conjure up a cutting remark." I have talked to several quality posters that have about quite initiating threads because people don't comment on the information shared in the thread but instead launch out on their own with accusations that was not even said or even implyed in the post......
It is my hope that comments on new threads for all posters could be limited to the content of the new threads and not used as a launching pad for strange comments and accusations that have nothing to do with the verbage of the original post.

Old Card,

Surely you jest. A lot of folks, including yourself, know you are guilty of just that. (spinning posts with hidden agendas, although sometimes you are very clever about it.)

On of my all time favorites was back in the 2002 playoffs when you made a post "An Alphabetical listing of the 16 teams left in D1" or something to that effect.

LOL, It was so obvious that you only made the post so BC would be listed first, that a lot of people almost fell out of their chairs.:D

Nice try though, and I understand about how some may be afraid to post for fear of having their words twisted. But it happens all of the time, and you are usually deserving.:p

Ask anyone who has been here a while.

Old Cardinal
09-20-2004, 10:24 AM
To J_Dog: I see what you are talking about. Yes there a teams that dodge playing the better folks and many did dodge Jasper and WO-S when setting up new playing schedules this year. Thanks for pointing out that, both teams that schedule up and teams that have a hard time finding someone to play them locally are to be looked upon favorably.
I think PN-G might be the worst at this trait, they seem to always make a postseason schedule that allows them the privilege to shine a little in the win/lose department. I laughed a few years ago when the had a make shift schedule change because of an imminent tropical storm and Orangefield almost beat them. Barbers Hill use to do that scheduling down yearly; however, they have changed their scheduling and now play a stiff schedule. Maybe they are getting ready for 4A which will come soon enough for them.

To PPHead, would you like me to reverse alphabetical listings--would that make you happy? You have been the worst culprit on here for trying to find something to object about that really shows gross silliness.

PPHSfan
09-20-2004, 11:08 AM
I would like you to list the teams in Alphabetical Order beginning with the Letter P.:D

Stanley
09-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Jasper hasn't scored 45 in a game yet...
Don't see them as a 45 point favorite :D

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Very true Stanley.

dawgmom
09-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Should have been at least that much against Central!

GS#17
09-20-2004, 08:08 PM
To GS #17: The parents, fans, faculty and students of LC-M were quite proud of the way their ball team came back to play in the late third and fourth quarter. The BC fans are also very proud to be undefeated at this point. I understand that neither of our teams are ranked in the top 5, but to ridicule youth that are giving their all to represent their school? Personally I think LC-M is a quality group of sportsman-like players and exemplary fans.

OC, what are you talking about? I'm sure Bear fans were happy their team made a comeback that came up short. I'm sure they view it as some sort of moral victory. Good for them. I don't see what that has to do with BC playing or being ready to play Jasper, though. Belive me, Jasper and mlc are worlds apart and they really can't be mentioned in the same thread.

For what it's worth, I agree BC fans should be proud of their team. They're doing well and winning games. I'm proud of them, also. :)

I really don't understand what you're talking about when you say I'm ridiculing their youth. Sit back, take a deep breath, and calm down a bit. I'm not ridiculing any of their youth -- that's quite a stretch. My point was that their team is not good. You may disagree, but they've been a less-than-average team for a very long time now. I'm happy you all won, I really am, but I wouldn't go dancing in the streets just because you all beat the bears.

DawgFan91
09-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
BC has beaten a couple of 3A teams that were suppose to be pretty good this year.

Was referring to OC's original message.

whatusay2
09-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Tell me where I said in my post, "Old Card thinks that Jasper will take BC for granted"? I simply made a statement that Jasper will NOT take BC for granted. It appears that Old Card is the one whose making implications.

I felt these statements that Old Card made were over the top:
1) They know and understand that they are a 45 point underdog entering this contest.
2) Not many teams in 3A will get to take on the likes of the Jasper Bulldogs.
3) They are so appreciative that Jasper would allow them on their preseason schedule.

Finally, since Old Card is into giving advice to new posters, let me say that I, too, used to believe that Old Card had no hidden meaning behind his statements. I even defended him on one occasion. But, he has since shown me the light.

That's all I have to say on this thread.

setex
09-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Belive me, Jasper and mlc are worlds apart and they really can't be mentioned in the same thread. I really don't understand what you're talking about when you say I'm ridiculing their youth. Sit back, take a deep breath, and calm down a bit. I'm not ridiculing any of their youth -- that's quite a stretch. My point was that their team is not good.

Next door neighbors, WO-S and LCM that don't get along. What's strange it's a one sided hatred.

DawgFan91
09-20-2004, 09:40 PM
I agree with whatusay--

Based on what we've seen from these teams so far, Jasper should probably win a competitive game. 14 points would be the max someone should predict Jasper to win by...especially with it in BC.

Now, with that "45 point" statement (which I hope was a joke), if Jasper wins by 14, we will probably hear how BC played so great to even compete and keep it that close. Again, I think OC is actually Lou Holtz in disguise. It's funny though.

Old Cardinal
09-21-2004, 08:15 AM
To Whatusay: I have a wonderful relationship with the Jasper fans through the years. This thread is address specifically to you--Your second post on here has less substance in it than a stalk of celery! Every thing that I said in the original post complimented either BC or Jasper-with no hidden agendas.
Your post takes the cake as the most dumb post I have read on here in all my years LOL...I would say that if scientist could drill a whole into your cranium area where brains are supposed to reside, that they could pull a 30 INCH VACUUM ON AN ONION SACK. LOL, Now see if you can find the hidden agenda in this-- Einstein! LOL....

sphinx-1906
09-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Watch out, next thing you know O.C. will be saying "I have a wonderful relationship with the Newton fans through the years"LOL

Junkyard
09-21-2004, 10:17 AM
I am with you on that one sphinx I dont remember Old CArd having an wonderful relationship with any one over the years.:rolleyes:

sphinx-1906
09-21-2004, 10:19 AM
I would tell you beat them by 45 (which I think is possible) but that isn't right and Coach Lauve has more class than that.

Junkyard
09-21-2004, 10:22 AM
You are right. But the second teamers will play hard too.

exbccards76'smom
09-21-2004, 11:10 AM
All I can say is that BOTH teams will play hard, and I pray for a injury free ball game. To all Jasper posters...I work the pass gate at all BC home football games. Drop by and say hi.

http://www.texashsfootball.com/Images/helmets/class3a/bridgecity.gif

sphinx-1906
09-21-2004, 01:08 PM
excardsmam, I hope you didn't take my last post the wrong way. I know that B.C. has a good squad and is actually playing above their heads right now which is a pleasent suprise to the fans in B.C. However I know Newton played a solid defensive game Fri. night and Jasper still scored 25. Jasper is dangerous from anywhere on the field and their defense is as fast as I have seen in a while. I to hope for an injury free game. good luck.

dawgmom
09-21-2004, 01:31 PM
YES! NO INJURIES FOR EITHER TEAM THIS WEEK! And lets hope for a well played, hard fought game. (with the dawgs coming out on top) lol
EXBC...which gate is the pass gate?

bearkatdad
09-21-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm still looking for someone to answer the " Who made Jasper a 45 point favorite"question? Or, was that just sort of a random number someone pulled out of their.....er... hat!..;)

sphinx-1906
09-21-2004, 02:41 PM
considering the source I would think it would be safe to say it was pulled out of his ..ummm.....errr...HAT!!!LOL

exbccards76'smom
09-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by sphinx-1906
excardsmam, I hope you didn't take my last post the wrong way. I know that B.C. has a good squad and is actually playing above their heads right now which is a pleasent suprise to the fans in B.C. However I know Newton played a solid defensive game Fri. night and Jasper still scored 25. Jasper is dangerous from anywhere on the field and their defense is as fast as I have seen in a while. I to hope for an injury free game. good luck.

no offense taken...hope to see ya' Friday night!!

sphinx-1906
09-21-2004, 02:47 PM
ten-four and good luck

DawgFan91
09-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by bearkatdad
I'm still looking for someone to answer the " Who made Jasper a 45 point favorite"question? Or, was that just sort of a random number someone pulled out of their.....er... hat!..;)

I think O.C. just picked that number and put it in the original message on this post.

pakrat
09-21-2004, 10:51 PM
To PPHead, would you like me to reverse alphabetical listings--.

Whooaah, OC that's pretty strong stuff coming from you!
PPHead???

j_dog
09-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by exbccards76'smom
[B]..... To all Jasper posters...I work the pass gate at all BC home football games. Drop by and say hi.

Does that mean you will "pass" us right on in? :D

Sounds like it should be a great game. Wish I could be there. Has anyone heard, is KOGT carrying this game?

spiveyrat
09-22-2004, 06:57 AM
At the end of the BC/LCM game last week, they said they were leaning towards webcasting the Jasper/BC game, but they couldn't say for sure yet (at that time).

bccards
09-22-2004, 07:01 AM
no, they decided to webcast WO-S @ Newton..

spiveyrat
09-22-2004, 08:18 AM
BOOO!

ej2525
09-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Dang it!!! :mad:

Bummer.... I was planning on listening to that here in Kingwood!!!:foul:

sphinx-1906
09-22-2004, 08:53 AM
you will get to hear a better game anyway. Jasper will run away with the other one.

3rdone
09-22-2004, 10:19 AM
BC isno better than Central...Jasper big in this one

3rdone
09-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen

who?

Panther Ross
09-22-2004, 10:44 AM
I am giving this one to Jasper, BIG, but if somehow Bridge City beats them than I apologize to them for underestimating them. I know BC came ready to play against us for what happend last season, but if they play Jasper like they played us, it won't be a match because Jasper has a great program over there.

Panther Ross
09-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Personally, I think they won't be to happy after facing them.

BlueBlood
09-22-2004, 12:11 PM
So Panther Ross, are you implying that Liberty does not have a good program?

exbccards76'smom
09-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
Does that mean you will "pass" us right on in? :D

Sounds like it should be a great game. Wish I could be there. Has anyone heard, is KOGT carrying this game?

I wish I could...but still drop by and say hi anyhow.:D :D

Oakflat
09-22-2004, 01:26 PM
I've always respected the OC even though I don't always agree with him. He says lots of controversial things and much of the time he has good points and is right. But for him to say that PN-G plays a powder-puff schedule is completely ignorant. They are one the best programs in the state, and have one of the best traditions in the nation. Their preseason this year included LaMarque, Jasper, a 5A team out of the Houston area, and Houston Forest Brook. Thats much tougher than any preseason schedule B.C. has played in 3A or 4A... Good luck to B.C. this Friday, I believe ya'll got a good team and have surpirsed a few people this year. Take each win humblely and stop complaining about your youth...

Junkyard
09-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Well said Oakflat!!:) :clap:

Stanley
09-22-2004, 02:17 PM

Just saw a poll where Jasper is the favorite, but not by 45 points.
Where'd you see Bridge City as a 45 point underdog OC?

DawgFan91
09-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Stanley
Just saw a poll where Jasper is the favorite, but not by 45 points.
Where'd you see Bridge City as a 45 point underdog OC?

I doubt it was seen anywhere.

Panther Ross
09-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by BlueBlood
So Panther Ross, are you implying that Liberty does not have a good program?

Since did I say anything about Liberty being better than Bridge City. Jasper is a great team who can probably beat almost anybody they play.

Bulldog_12
09-24-2004, 10:20 AM
So will anybody be giving updates on the game? I would love to see how things go.

Panther Ross
09-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by whatusay2

I am going with him on that one, Jasper has to much talent to be blowing off teams all though he did not say anything about blowing them off.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 10:49 AM
I really hope we have different refs than Jasper has seen the past couple of weeks! Please, let us have some guys that at least know what is going on! And let them be fair!

Panther Ross
09-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Speaking of refs, I pray for anybody who gets the refs we got when we played HF.

bccards
09-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
So will anybody be giving updates on the game? I would love to see how things go.

Check out www.trianglefootball.net -- They have realtime score updates, and I hear they are supposed to try doing some "Game Updates" under the scoreboard of the page.

bearkatdad
09-24-2004, 11:52 AM
ok...I'll try and post updates on the Jasper/BC game...do you want me to use this thread ?

spiveyrat
09-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Create a new one.

bearkatdad
09-24-2004, 12:38 PM
YES SIR, Mr Spiveyboy!!! I'll do it just before game time...:p

Bulldog_12
09-24-2004, 01:03 PM
That would be great Bearkat thanks. I will also try to look at that scoreboard.