PDA

View Full Version : Wharton 27 vs Brazosport 17

LogieJoeBean001
09-18-2004, 07:16 AM
The Tigers finally got their long deserved win! There were times this wasn't a very pretty game. The Tigers seemed a bit "off" last night, the same as Cuero, as I read in another post. There were times that it just didn't look like they were getting things together. I was wondering where the team from last week had gone. Also, many times when Wharton would make some really good plays, there would be a penalty called on them. They had Brazosport down 27-10 in the final minutes of the game, B-port gets the ball, gets down inside the 20 and at every snap, there would be a flag thrown on the Tigers. B-port gained about 20 yards, maybe more, on nothing but penalties! This led to their final score. On their scoring play, I could have sworn their player was under the pile, when all of a sudden he scampers across the goal line. I'm still wondering how that happened. This was B-port's only score in the second half. So defense, you guys stepped it up a notch in the second half. Great job! I guess it was like I read about Cuero, perhaps the Tigers were drained from such an emotional, hard fought game last week. I dunno, but I do know that the Tigers took it! Great job guys. You guys played your hearts out again and got the job done.

As someone posted, they had a nice stadium and all, but the pa system was not working for the visitor's side. The game was played in total silence for the visitors. You could barely hear the announcer on their side, but not on ours! Our drill team even had to perform with NO MUSIC! This really stank!!!

Good job Tigers. I'm proud of you guys. It's on to next week and a meeting with Hempstead at home, finally a home game! Congratulations to everyone who won their games and better luck next week to those who fell just a little short.

Chris Hart
09-18-2004, 08:25 AM
What about those of us that fell WAY short?:)

44INAROW
09-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Sounds like an good one Logie.... was it closer than you expected it to be? The humidity last night in Sealy was terrible as it was in Cuero Thurs night. Do you think maybe this was a factor with your guys?

LogieJoeBean001
09-18-2004, 10:17 AM
It really was waaaaay closer than I thought it should have been. Of course, we had em 27-10 until their very last drive and that's when the penalty flags kept flying every time, and I mean EVERY time B-port snapped the ball. Wharton was down near the goal line at the end of the first half and I believe that B-port intercepted a pass. There were a couple of times when Wharton was sooooo close to scoring but just didn't get it in. The humidity was so bad for us too! I can't help but think that that did have something to do with it too! Sweat was rolling down in my eyes just sitting in the stands, so I can only imagine what it must have been like for the boys. The air was soooo thick, you could have cut it with a knife! The game was also stopped for quite a long time for a B-port injury. The young man was finally put on a backboard, taken to an ambulance and was taken to the hospital. I didn't hear a report on him, nor could we hear anything else going on about the ballgame, so I don't know what happened to him or if they got a report on him. I just hope and pray, for him and his family, that he is alright. I always think about how I would feel if that were MY son down there. I was also disturbed by B-port's lack of respect during the injury timeout. The Wharton bunch immediately took a knee, but it took FOREVER for the B-port players to do so. And it was their OWN player! Anyway, our boys had been in a rhythm until that happened and they just sorta went cold for a while after that. There were a lot of factors in that game that made it less than desirable. Not only could the Wharton side not hear anything that was going about the game, but the concession stand on the home side had "technical difficulties" so was not even open. Everybody was coming to the visitor side to get eats and drinks and that closed during the 4th qtr, early I think, because they RAN OUT OF EVERYTHING!!! THEN, after the game as we were driving out of the parking lot, I saw a B-port player THROW his helmet at a Wharton fan. The player was BEHIND the guy and he just chunked it at him. It hit the ground before hitting the Wharton fan and I don't think the Wharton guy ever knew how close he had come to getting hit because he never even knew this kid was behind him cause he never even turned around. All in all, it was a good win for our guys. I hope they can continue to build on this win and go on from here with great success!

GO BIG BLUE!

LogieJoeBean001
09-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
What about those of us that fell WAY short?:)

Chris,

I'm sure you guys will bounce right back! You have a class act team chock full of talent, drive, determination and heart. I bet you guys come back next week on a roll. I know this was probably a shock to you guys. This isn't a spot you have found yourselves in for a while. My guess is that the Mean Green Machine will be on the move again! Heads up you guys, on to the next one!

LogieJoeBean001
09-19-2004, 09:45 AM
I would really like to hear the impression that other folks had about this game, especially from those that were there. I hate thinking that I was the only one that came away from this with a "bad taste in my mouth"! Even if you weren't there, any comments?

It's not sour grapes, heavens no! Our team WON, for pete's sake, it's just the way some "things" went that I would like to know I'm not alone in having some questions about.

LH Panther Mom
09-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Congrats on your win. Sounds like the Brazosport player who threw his helmet needs a lesson in good sportsmanship; thank goodness it hit the ground, as it could've caused a pretty serious injury. Some folks just do not know how to lose with dignity.

LogieJoeBean001
09-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Congrats on your win. Sounds like the Brazosport player who threw his helmet needs a lesson in good sportsmanship; thank goodness it hit the ground, as it could've caused a pretty serious injury. Some folks just do not know how to lose with dignity.

Thanks LHPantherMom. By the way, I have been admiring your team's colors, purple and gold, if I'm not mistaken and Panthers to boot! Those are the colors of my old high school alma mater and their mascot too! They are kicking butt and taking names right now in 5a. Last week they were ranked at #22 in the nation by a Houston area high school sports magazine. So I have to give them some kudos here, GO PACK, all the way back to state this year!

LogieJoeBean001
09-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Here's the original thread about the game and some of the things that weren't exactly right about it!