PDA

View Full Version : Snyder 29 Greenwood 24

Adidas410s
09-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Greenwood starting to show signs of life but not enough against a TOUGH Snyder team...

vet93
09-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Greenwood is getting better and better. They will be a handful by the time district rolls around...just watch.

TheDOCTORdre
09-17-2004, 10:57 PM
sounds like a good one ne one got a basic game summary

Green Ranger
09-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Would have loved to have been there for this one and it does sound like the Rangers are taking right steps. My question as they are growing, how long can they continue to play and stay healthy. For the past several years the Pre-district Schedule has been jammed packed. And if I am not mistaken they have two more big games left, at least one, before district. The win loss record doesn't matter. However if you have several key players beat up with bumps and bruises, that is going to make a big difference. I would rather be 0 for going into district healthy than not lost any and beat up. My understanding though is Greenwood is beat up and 0 for. Just my take on things, take it or leave it.

SintonFan
09-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Green Ranger the W-L doesn't matter until you get to district. You are right.
Learn from this Rangers and excel when it counts! :cool: :clap:

Ranger05
09-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Yea im one of the beat up ones for the rangers hurt my knee again and found out my knee couldnt be fixed so i had to quit

Ranger Mom
09-18-2004, 12:08 AM
It was a great game....we had some costly mistakes but the game was winnable!!

It was great to see the old spark in the Rangers tonight! It was back and forth all night with neither team ever having more than a 7 point lead.

I am curious to see the stats on the game!

We had the freshman QB (Wilber's lil bro) most of the night...he is young and still learning, but barring any major injuries should be good to go for the next 4 years!

Da Mules
09-18-2004, 12:08 AM
Very sorry to hear that Ranger05. Hope this was not your senior year.

Ranger Mom
09-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Da Mules
Very sorry to hear that Ranger05. Hope this was not your senior year.

It is!:(

Da Mules
09-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Well I hope Greenwood does real well, and this kid stays on the team as Booster or Manager or whatever... hang in there 05, there IS more to lift than football.

wildstangs
09-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Sounds like it was a great one. Greenwood is coming around. How many yards did the AZ kid have? I know, I know...we need to learn his name. What is Wells doing these days? Does he get any playing time at RB?

Ranger05
09-18-2004, 01:32 AM
yea i know theres more to life than football that wasnt the way i planned going out though and plus i realized it was better than my life cause i was dumb enough to take a lot of pain killers to make it through part of 2 a days and i went to the dr.s office and he said if i didnt stop taking the medicine that i would burn a hole in my stomach and be dead before the season was over i was taking 3 alieve and 2 vioxx before every practice. Yea i know it was really dumb of my but i just loved the game and didnt want to give it up

Buffalo
09-18-2004, 01:37 AM
Great game and Greenwood will win their District I am not taking anything away from the other teams but they are improving every week. #8 had over 200 yards he ran as hard as any back I have seen so far. Greenwood is going to be good to go in the furure. Game could have went to Greenwood thought the Snyder QB did a good job fo a young kid

westTXbest
09-18-2004, 08:35 AM
Yeah we had this one won but, Snyder pulled this one off on a 4th and 13 with 2:00 left in the fourth. We gave them 2 touchdowns on dumb mistakes, to tell u the truth Greenwood was the better team out there tonight they just wasnt there night, they out hustled and out played snyder. That Dee walker kid is good but not that good, Brooks #8 for Greenwood took snyder to school on how to run the ball.

westTXbest
09-18-2004, 08:43 AM
did this score suprise anyone? they r not as good as peole think .

Ranger Mom
09-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Mistakes cost Greenwood first victory of season

Garrett Luft
Midland Reporter-Telegram

Despite looking much improved from their previous two games, the Greenwood Rangers made a few major mistakes against Snyder that cost them their first victory of the season Friday night to in a 29-24 loss at Tiger Stadium.

With Snyder facing fourth-and-12 with 2:10 remaining in the game, Lico Castillo streaked down the right sideline uncovered and caught a 49-yard Matt Reigh pass to put the Tigers in the lead for good at 29-24. The Tigers surprised Greenwood with a five-receiver, no-back shotgun set on the play.

"I think when we jumped into that formation they stayed in the same coverage they had been using and the safety just didn't come with me," Castillo said.

Castillo had missed an extra point earlier in the game but sealed the win when he intercepted Greenwood quarterback Colton Wilber on the next play from scrimmage after his touchdown catch.

"We were trailing by a point and I felt like I put us there, so I needed to do what I could to put us back on top," Castillo said.

Greenwood (0-3) had opened the scoring in the game when Jarrel Brooks capped off a 12-play, 79-yard drive with a 13-yard scoring run over a minute into the second quarter.

The Rangers forced a three-and-out on Snyder's next drive, but the Rangers' first big error came on the ensuing punt.

Lico Castillo sailed a booming 67-yard kick over the head of the returner Brooks, who attempted to pick the ball up on the run at his own 2. Brooks failed to get a grasp on the football, which rolled into the end zone when the Snyder pursuit arrived and was recovered for a touchdown by Snyder's Phil Rice. Disclaimer: The player who dropped the ball and had it roll into the endzone was NOT #8 Jarrel Brooks as the article states!

"We can take a ton of positives from this game, but we just had a few catastrophic mistakes," Greenwood coach Bob Purser said. "If not for those few plays, we could have won this game."

Greenwood answered immediately with another long scoring drive as the Rangers drove 63 yards in nine plays before Taylor Himbury scored from 5 yards out to put Greenwood up 14-7 heading into the half.

The Greenwood defense held Snyder (4-0) to only three first downs and 70 yards in the first half.

"They sure opened my eyes some," Purser said of his defense. "To be at that level after where we've been that last two weeks shows me a lot of progress."

The second half opened ominously for the Rangers as Snyder took advantage of another major mistake. On the second play of the half, Snyder safety Eric Martinez intercepted freshman Colton Wilber and returned the ball 27 yards to score and tie the game at 14-14.

Snyder later took a 17-14 lead on a 22-yard Castillo field goal, but Greenwood answered on the next drive when Brooks took a sweep to the left, slipped one tackler near the sideline and out-sprinted the rest of the Snyder defense for an 86-yard touchdown run.

Brooks finished the night with 209 yards on 22 carries.

Snyder scored again on 4-yard Dee Walker run to re-take the lead on the next drive, but Castillo missed the extra point to leave the score at 23-21. Greenwood drove 60 yards in 12 plays on the next drive and got a 22-yard field goal by Eric Skaggs to regain the lead with 6:12 left in the game.

Yet Snyder drove from its own 20 to the Greenwood 49 on the next drive before it got the huge Reigh-to-Castillo game-winning pass.

"It was just a coverage situation," Purser said. "They had no backs and we just didn't see it. It's no excuse, but we've just got some young guys who are going to make mistakes."

Snyder 29, Greenwood 24

Greenwood 0 14 7 3 --24

Snyder 0 7 16 6 --29

Second Quarter

GRE- Jarrel Brooks 13 run (Eric Skaggs kick), 10:34

SNY- Phil Rice fumble recovery in end zone (Lico Castillo kick), 8:54

GRE- Taylor Himbury 5 run (Skaggs kick), 4:27

Third Quarter

SNY- Eric Martinez 27 interception return (Castillo kick), 11:11

SNY- Castillo 22 FG

GRE- Brooks 86 run (Skaggs kick), 2:42

SNY- Dee Walker 4 run (kick failed), 0:49

Fourth Quarter

GRE- Skaggs 24 FG, 6:12

SNY- Castillo 49 pass from Matt Reigh (run failed), 2:10

SNY GRE

First downs 16 14

Rushes-yards 36-185 50-304

Passing yards 86 33

Comp.-Att.-Int. 2-11-1 1-6-2

Fumbles-lost 0-0 3-1

Punts-avg. 2-46.2 1-32

Penalties-yards 4-30 9-49

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Rushing -- Greenwood, Jarrel Brooks 22-209, Justin Sebree 10-43, Taylor Himbury 4-14, Lane Flowers 4-11, Chad Gann 1-10, Colton Wilber 5-9, Blake Higgins 3-7, Silas Etheridge 1-1; Snyder, Dee Walker 21-128, Matt Reigh 10-30, Chad Brown 3-16, Johnny Vasquez 1-12, Johnathan Gonzalez 1-(-1).

Passing -- Greenwood, Wilber 1-6-2-33; Snyder, Reigh 2-11-1-86.

Receiving -- Greenwood, Brooks 1-33; Snyder, Lico Castillo 1-49, Walker 1-24, Gonzales 1-13.

wildstangs
09-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Wow, looks like Snyder was lucky to escape this one with a win.

wildstangs
09-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by westTXbest
did this score suprise anyone? they r not as good as peole think .

Is Snyder not as good as people think? Or did Greenwood just step it up?

Ranger Mom
09-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Is Snyder not as good as people think? Or did Greenwood just step it up?

Honestly, I think it is a little of both!

wildstangs
09-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Honestly, I think it is a little of both!

I wonder what the Snyder fans think? Maybe they think they just had an off night? Never thought I would say this, but I am looking forward to Black Magics comments on this one. :)

Ranger Mom
09-18-2004, 11:07 AM
They have been rather quiet...but a win is a win!

BTW, Black Magic's prediction was Snyder by 21!

oh well
09-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Greenwood was ready to play. Snyder was not. Greenwood is a very good ball club. Greenwood did out play Snyder. THe game reminded me of the one last year that Greenwood won at the end. It was close to the same with a differnt team winning. Snyder was without 5 starters no excuses just the truth and Greenwoods young kids are getting better & better. It was a very good High School Football game we got our money worth. The Brooks kids is classy and runs hard if he stays health he will rush for over 1000 yards before the end of the regular season. He runs as well in trafic as any back I have seen even better then the Audas kids in traffic not as fast but better in traffic and the Audis kids was good.

oh well
09-18-2004, 11:56 AM
I heard Jeremy Green from Levelland was able to wiggle his big toe. Keep him in your prayers. Does anyone else have any news?

Ranger Mom
09-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by oh well
I heard Jeremy Green from Levelland was able to wiggle his big toe. Keep him in your prayers. Does anyone else have any news?

That is AWESOME news....thanks for the update!

Black_Magic
09-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Ok Wildstangs and Ranger Mom here we go.

Greenwood played a great game. They outplayed Snyder for MOST of the game. They are a good football team and deserve credit as one. the greenwood coaches did a good job preparing the team for snyder. They came to play. Snyder did not play a good game. Greenwood is a better 0-3 team than probably any out there. What people dont know is that Snyder had 6 starters out on the sidelines because of injuries. FS 2 LBs DT OG and a RB. one is a returning two way starter and second team All state player.It is not an excuse but that has a little to do with the tigers not being as good as they have been. all of these are predicted healthy in the next 2-3 weeks. I think the game showed several things. You cant take anyone for granted regardless of record and you have to stay focussed all season long. Greenwood is a good team and can win thier district. Snyder can play ball even when some key people are down. Snyder has big play potential and can throw the ball. BTW . About the coments on Dee walker. He had 128 yards on 20 carries with one reception for 20 and a total of over 660 rushing in 4 games. Show me a back who has more in west texas any division. Make any judgment you want about Snyder and Dee Walker. Snyderdidnt come to play but still pulled it out. great for them! I remember the game a year ago Greenwood beat snyder on a handfull of big plays. Snyder gets the W and Grenwood gets credit for coming to play good ball. thye are a good team and improving. its a long season. 12 games to go.

PS. Ranger Mom , Nice visor!

oh well
09-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Good job of writting BLack Magic did you have someone edit it for you????????????????????/:rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
09-18-2004, 12:26 PM
It was a good game I have to admit that! I really didn't know what to expect from Greenwood this week....they surprised me!

They showed some "want to" last night, that I have thought was missing the first couple of games. I hope they have finally settled on a QB instead of alternating all the time. The best experience for this VERY young boy is to play, play, play!!

That being said, it was a great game to see. Those are the best ones that can go either way at any given time!

Ranger Mom
09-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic

PS. Ranger Mom , Nice visor!

HUH??:confused: :confused: :confused:

oh well
09-18-2004, 12:29 PM
I think she thinks she saw you in the stands of consession stand last night

Black_Magic
09-18-2004, 12:29 PM
HUH??:confused: :confused: :confused: I thought I saw you sitting above one of the walk tunnels on the north side of the greenwood side. had a visor on looked like:D

Ranger Mom
09-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I thought I saw you sitting above one of the walk tunnels on the north side of the greenwood side. had a visor on looked like:D

Oh!! Nope...wrong Mom!!

I was sitting directly under the pressbox about 3 rows down. I wasn't wearing a visor, just had my hair in a pony tail!

Black_Magic
09-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Oh!! Nope...wrong Mom!!

I was sitting directly under the pressbox about 3 rows down. I wasn't wearing a visor, just had my hair in a pony tail! Just thought it was form a picture I saw on this site from that meet and greet thing.

stateboundWR#5
09-18-2004, 01:06 PM
well if she had any idea what black magic really looked like, then there is no way she could have missed him!!! haha