PDA

View Full Version : Merkel 42 Ballinger 19

Adidas410s
09-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Merkel takes charge with a 95 yd strip of Ballinger that the Merkel QB took away from him and to the house...the rout was on from there!

vet93
09-17-2004, 10:55 PM
That was a key play....instead of going up 14 to 7. Ballinger goes down 14 to 7. Then Ballinger's next series they drive inside the 10 and don't score...Merkel takes charge from there and uses their superior speed to beat the Bearcats. Ballinger is better than their record indicates, but they still have a lot of work to do. If they could put together a good offensive night like tonight with a good defensive effort like against Brady, then they could be a solid team. These guys are improving though....they will make the playoffs and just might win a few when they get there if they keep improving. Congratulations to a well coached Merkel team. Merkel played an outstanding game and deserved to win. If they can shore up their defense a little, they may have a shot at an upset this year. Good luck!

Redman
09-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Well said vet93. Ballinger will put it together and no doubt will make the playoffs. Good offensive effort, but defense on both sides of the ball are going to have to step it up before district . Ballinger showed alot of talent with a young team. Will be very interesting when district starts. Lots of luck in the playoffs. Hats off to the Badgers, good game and doesn't get any easier. Breck and then Lakeview. Merkel will have to tighten up on defense and should do well.

westTXbest
09-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Ballinger doesnt sound bad at all, we got them in 2 weeks for homecoming Vet93, wonder how we will fare.

vet93
09-18-2004, 11:14 AM
It is hard to say how both teams will fare when we play in a couple of weeks. Both teams are rebuilding and both teams have had turnovers and mistakes hamper their efforts. I would suspect that mistakes and turnovers will be a key. I think that Greenwood will probably be a 2 touchdown favorite going into the game. With a young team....I look much more at improvement each week, hustle and character than I do the scoreboard. I think that both teams, regardless of the outcome will be well prepared for their district and will do well.

Originally posted by westTXbest
Ballinger doesnt sound bad at all, we got them in 2 weeks for homecoming Vet93, wonder how we will fare.

VWG
09-18-2004, 05:02 PM
I read where Ballinger only has about 5-7 Sr.'s playing this year. Is this correct? If it is, where are all the players in that class? I know Ballinger's enrollment dropped but to only get 5-7 Senior kids out for football in Ballinger seems really strange!

vet93
09-18-2004, 10:59 PM
VWG...it is true. I think that Ballinger has 5 seniors, about 7-8 sophomores (depending on injuries) and the rest are juniors. 4-5 of the sophomores are starters. How this happened, I have no idea. Sometimes, you just have a class come through that doesn't have a lot of kids interested in football. It is pretty rare in Ballinger to have that small of a class. It is interesting that this is the first year that Ballinger moved down to 2A and they are only the 4th largest team in their district. With the athletes that we have in the system right now, we have a chance to be very good in the foreseeable future in 2A. If the kids keep their heads on straight and keep improving they should be one of the better teams in the region for years to come. This years group will take their lumps with this much youth, but have a chance to be pretty salty by the end of the season.

Originally posted by VWG
I read where Ballinger only has about 5-7 Sr.'s playing this year. Is this correct? If it is, where are all the players in that class? I know Ballinger's enrollment dropped but to only get 5-7 Senior kids out for football in Ballinger seems really strange!

callandraise
09-19-2004, 03:43 AM
Last years freshman team was 10-0 against 3a teams,this years freshman are 3-0 and have outscored their opp.120-6(CLYDE,BRADY and MERKEL).WE will be back this is just one of those years that happens every 10 or 20 years.I expect us to be very good next year and a real contender for state the next year when this group of sophomores and freshman are seniors and juniors.

Ranger Mom
09-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by callandraise
Last years freshman team was 10-0 against 3a teams,this years freshman are 3-0 and have outscored their opp.120-6(CLYDE,BRADY and MERKEL).WE will be back this is just one of those years that happens every 10 or 20 years.I expect us to be very good next year and a real contender for state the next year when this group of sophomores and freshman are seniors and juniors.

I witnessed that Freshman team last year and have to agree with Callandraise!