PDA

View Full Version : To the Bellville Brahmas and Everyone Else: Lessons Learned

Bellville22
12-16-2002, 06:15 PM
Our magical ride, courtesy of the Bellville Brahmas, came to an end Saturday. Although I would have liked to have stayed on board for just one more week, the Man upstairs had other ideas, and I usually don't argue w/ him.
I pay an arm and a leg to this great university up here in Aggieland to try to learn as much as I can, and get that degree that will hopefully allow me to walk the sidelines and wear the headsets one day. Amazingly though, for $7 and a Friday or Saturday night, this 21 year old can learn lessons of equal importance that will last a lifetime. I want to thank the Brahmas, the fans, our opponents, and all you posters on here for one hell of a season.
One of the most important things I learned from watching these young men battle it out is something that is almost always overlooked, and seldom considered before we fans and critics open our mouths. These are TEENAGERS! 15,16, and 17 year old kids out there playing a GAME and having the time of their lives. I watched my beloved Brahmas play their hearts out in a brilliant performance and beat a very talented Marlin team, then turnaround 7 days later, look as flat as ever, and have their playoff run come to an abrupt end. That's the beauty of this sport, you never know what they're gonna do. We get on here every day and talk about how good this kids arm is, or how fast this kid is, or how this team plays against this style of defense, but the truth is we don't have a clue what will happen on a given Friday night. And after this year, I realize anything can, and usually does happen.

I learned that polls/rankings and "weekly picks" don't mean a thing. I've got nothing against the people that put together this stuff, I know they've gotta put food on the table, but if you ask me they're all worthless. The only sport they're actually useful in is College Football, and that's because they're too stupid to go to a playoff system. Not many polls had Bandera ranked above Newton, Marlin, Bellville or Daingerfield at the beginning of the year, but you know what, they're still playing and the others aren't. And what's with the "lines" on the games. Are there really people out there who bet that a high school football game will cover the spread? Seriously, it's ridiculous. Marlin being favored by 10 over Bellville sure did play a big part in that game, I don't know what we would have done if there hadn't been that spread.

I learned that as a team you can accomplish anything. Regardless of what I posted on here, I wasn't all that confident in my Bulls going against Marlin. I though they were bigger, faster, and stronger than we were. You know what, I was right. They were bigger, alot faster, and stronger than we were. But I had forgotten that the one and only thing that matters is who has more points on their side of the scoreboard, and as a team, the Brahmas were able to accomplish that.

I learned that when it comes down to it, all of us on this site are pretty much the same. We want nothing but the best for our respective teams, and sometimes we all get caught up in all the hype and talk that goes on this board. We'd all do whatever it takes to support and defend our teams, and we're gonna love 'em whether they win or lose. We've probably all posted some things that we regret, I personally said some things to MARLINFAN I shouldn't have and he did the same to me. But he was man enough to apologize and call a truce, and who knows, I may have made a friend of an enemy.

Finally, and above everything else, I learned that there are things in life much more important than the game of football. Everman and Burnet came face to face with the brutal reality of how precious life and health is. It's amazing how seemingly an entire state has rallied behind and supported this young man and his family during a very critical time in his life. I speak for all the Bellville fans, and I'm sure for everyone, when I say that we wish him a full and speedy recovery. He, his family, and the town of Everman are in our prayers and we wish them the best.

To the Bellville Brahmas, Region 3 Champs: Congrats on a tremendous season. Playoffs are cruel, 64 teams started with the same goal, only 1 teams wins its last game. You surpassed the expectations that many had for you and made an incredible run at a title. In the first game of the season you guys lost the leader of your defense, and arguably one of the finest LBs in the state to an ACL. I said then if there was one person we didn't need to lose, it was him. Many teams would have been discouraged by this, and given up on their dreams, but not you guys. Y'all rallied, played with tremendous heart, and won and lost as a team. You guys went above and beyond in exhibiting the class and sportsmanship I expect to see from a Bellville team. To the seniors, good luck in your journey through life, many of you won't set foot on the field again, but your time there will help shape who you become. Tim, it was a pleasure having you on our team and in our community. To the underclassmen, remember the sweetness of success and the bitter taste of failure. Y'all have a very talented group coming back, and a State Championship is a very realistic goal. Set your sights now and let nothing stand in your way.

Congrats to the Champs, and the Champs to be crowned this weekend. Hope everyone has a great holiday. See you in the spring!

Good Luck Brenham!!!

eagles_11
12-16-2002, 06:40 PM
yea great season bellville

good luck denton ryan

BBULL20
12-16-2002, 07:35 PM
THANKS!
No ONE could have said it better. It has been a very difficult transition for me. From a 5A with 4,100 to a 3A with 600+. I thank people like Garret Dornon for being a friend and a brother. There are others but he was just there when I needed someone. Craig Harris did school me well before he left, Thanks Dude. Coach Chancellor has been like my fairy God-father from the first time I met him, when my family came down to scout the school. He has never lied to me, he had faith in me and I say Thanks for that. Coach Collier has been the friend that all teenagers need from an adult, if you know what I mean.

At the time we were looking and scouting, Bellville was having some issues of it's own, that almost caused us not to move. My dad told me, "ignore ignorance and do the right thing".
I just want to say thank you to Bellville for the support not only for me but our family
THE BELLVILLE BRAHMAS.
Thanks for all the love and support.
God Bless!!!!!

Much love and respect to all District 23-3A.
Respect for...
Liberty
Giddings
Fairfield
Marlin

Much respect to Bandera, TAKE STATE!
:) :) :)
P.S. My prayers are with the injured player, God Bless him and his family.

Old Cardinal
12-16-2002, 08:03 PM
Mr. Bellville 22, You show a lot of wisdom for a 21 year old. I hope you a great career in the future. your prospectives are very good!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
12-16-2002, 09:27 PM
Well said 22, there is not much more that can be said! I don't know how to handle this week, it seems something is missing, I love high school football, too me it is the time of year that I can't wait for, normally it does not last this long, but I was more fortunate than others, some ended 5 weeks ago! To tell the truth I would rather go to a Bellville football game on a friday night with my wonderful wife,who loves football almost as much as I do, my family, and friends than anything else. To the players you had a good run, I really believe we had the team to win it all, but the players and the coaches have to go out there and play every game 110%, most of your games we did, but when we didn't, you see what can happen, :( never underestimate your next opponent!, and never party the night before any game! It was fun and I am not ready to sign off, so I will be here for a while! Good luck to the Bandera Bulldogs this week! Well let's get ready for next year. Bellville has a lot coming back, plus good sub varsity teams, what do you think for next year? What do you think Bellville vs Rockdale, next years 1st game? :D
PS. Anybody know how the possom is doing??? :D

Brahmas20bro
12-17-2002, 10:09 AM
Well said everyone, The Brahmas gave me one hell of a season. Now that it is all over I just want to say to everyone that I am so proud of my Youngest Brother, RB Tim Gobert. He is a young man that is Respectful (as are all the brahmas) and a true athlete. I always wonder if any one could beat my Status at Cy-Falls as one of the best athlete and well little brother no matter where you are you did it. TO my Sister Krystal and Brian (who will be leading the Brahmas in years to come as the RB/QB - Baseball as well) Have a good Track season and Baseball season...Look out Girls Shot putters...Krystal is Knock ya lights out....But God I give all the thanks for our Team The Bellville Brahmas for have a great season and may everyones dreams come true for the Seniors.

Last but not Least we have to thank our Mother Joann Reed She is not only the orginal coach, she her self is/was great athlete and instilled in us this talented ability thanks mom and To our Father James Reed for guiding talent and molding us in the Men we are now....SO the town of Bellville thank you and Happy Holidays from our family to yours and Garrett thanks for being a brother to my little brother. Those kinda bonds/friendships last a lifetime and see you both in the NFL, hey can i be you guys like water boy...I CAN DO THAT...lol ok outty...

To Bellville 13-2 HEll of a season... :)

Brahma73
12-17-2002, 11:15 PM
Atta boy Bellville22! :) Super post!!

FranksBullDog
12-18-2002, 10:30 PM
I want to congratulate Bellville on a very inspired performance against Marlin,but i have to disagree about Marlin being bigger,faster,and moretalented.Marlin did have a slight advantage in quickness but thats it.Marlin was stronger rushing the ball and Bellville was stronger passing.Idon't know how Marlin was a ten point favorite but prior to that game they never got any respect from the AP poll or most papers.All iknow is they practiced twice on Thanksgiving Daythe week before preparing for LAGRANGE.Theyprepared well for Bellville and the kids fought ahard fight.I thought it was a clean well played game but i'm sure even fans from Bellville couldn't understand why the Marlin coach went for a fourth and three from his own 41 with7 minutes to go and the game tied 10-10 andthe momentom on his side.But he did the same thing in 2000 in the simis. against LAGRANGE which was also converted to a touchdown and changed the whole complexion of the game.What i'mtrying to say is in my opinion had Marlin punted the ball Marlin would have won without going to overtime.Coach Malone does an outstanding job getting the most out of the talent he has but if he doesn't stop going against the odds and football common sense a lot of very deserving young men will never reach their full potential. This was a young squad that should be even better next year and i hope COACH MALONE continues to be in charge but i hope he learns from his past mistakes and learns to punt as well kick field goals.