PDA

View Full Version : Jasper's speed?

jdawg85
09-16-2004, 10:06 PM
What other teams in 3a can match Jasper's overall team speed? Someone at work was asking me about it today and I had no idea. I told them I would ask the downlow members.

shankbear
09-16-2004, 10:09 PM
saw em at WO-S game....speed to burn....need more discipline

Gobbla2001
09-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Cuero and Wharton (not homering, ask Gsquared)...

j_dog
09-16-2004, 10:30 PM
I imagine several teams teams can match or beat Jasper's speed. WO-S came mighty close. That Beasley can move!

I would caution Jasper fans to stay humble. Remember our first year in 3a when we thought no one could handle Jasper's speed (and size for that matter). And that was pretty well true until we ran into a team called Burnet (durnit)! Lots of teams have speed. It is all how they put it together that counts.

Having said all that, I do think Jasper has a modest amount of speed. :) However, it may just get a good test from Newton tomorrow night. :confused:

Gobbla2001
09-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by j_dog

Having said all that, I do think Jasper has a modest amount of speed. :) However, it may just get a good test from Newton tomorrow night. :confused:

Yulp, no doubt you guys have speed...

May get to see it later down the road this year...

Decatur2004
09-16-2004, 10:34 PM
I think us Decatur boys could keep up with them(could just be school pride talkin)........ what do yall think? Honestly, no sarcasim intended

Decatur2004
09-16-2004, 10:36 PM
But i have also never seen them play

Gobbla2001
09-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Decatur2004
I think us Decatur boys could keep up with them(could just be school pride talkin)........ what do yall think? Honestly, no sarcasim intended

Heck, if you got speed, you got speed... Tell us about it...

jdawg85
09-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Probably a stupid question to ask. You would have to be fortunate enough to have seen all the other teams in 3a play. Like that could ever happen!!!!

DawgFan91
09-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Speed? We've been there, done that. We were the fastest team in 4A several years from the mid-80's through early 90's and never made it to a semi-final game.

It helps but doesn't make a team.

j_dog
09-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Yulp, no doubt you guys have speed...

May get to see it later down the road this year...
I hope you do! I would love to see Jasper and Cuero finally have a chance to get it on! :)

j_dog
09-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by DawgFan91
Speed? We've been there, done that. We were the fastest team in 4A several years from the mid-80's through early 90's and never made it to a semi-final game.

It helps but doesn't make a team.
So very true! And Jasper did it as one of the smaller 4a teams. :)

big daddy russ
09-16-2004, 10:50 PM
I don't know about this year, but you usually hear about Daingerfield and Atlanta in these conversations.

Stanley
09-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Team speed does not refer to the fastest player of the 11 on the field - it is about who is the slowest of the 11.

DawgFan91
09-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't know about this year, but you usually hear about Daingerfield and Atlanta in these conversations.

While they are both proven come playoff time, I think Atlanta has lost a step from a year ago and Daingerfield is down from 2 yrs ago. I think the fastest 3A team up here this year may be Tatum...no disrespect to Gilmer.

Decatur2004
09-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Decatur is a pass based offense with a quick defense...........although we have a fast rb we also have a top ten qb in the state .........i think they would have a big problem stoppin our pass.and they would maybe be able to run on us( assuming they are a base runnin team) but we did do a very good job stoppin g-villes purvey

Decatur2004
09-16-2004, 10:58 PM
but our speed will be tested again this week aagainst grahams veer option??!?!

spiveyrat
09-17-2004, 07:14 AM
One of the fastest teams (not 3A) I've ever seen was that brick-wall-of-a-team Jasper ran into in the playoffs during the mid '90's... Lamarque. We had a very fast offense. But they had the fastest defense I had ever seen. We would try to run a play around the outside and there was the whole Lamarque defense waiting for us. We took a beating in the Dome that day... something like 30-0. Yes, Lamarque went on to win state that year.

DawgFan91
09-17-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
One of the fastest teams (not 3A) I've ever seen was that brick-wall-of-a-team Jasper ran into in the playoffs during the mid '90's... Lamarque. We had a very fast offense. But they had the fastest defense I had ever seen. We would try to run a play around the outside and there was the whole Lamarque defense waiting for us. We took a beating in the Dome that day... something like 30-0. Yes, Lamarque went on to win state that year.

I agree with you. Our QB couldn't take a 3 step drop that day in the dome before someone was in his face. I remember their TE was faster than anybody on our team.

Hupernikomen
09-17-2004, 09:05 AM

I remember that too. I think it was 33-0. I am sure there are a few teams every year that are all close to the top speed around.

Reveille
09-17-2004, 09:06 AM
Their TE's name was Derrick Spiller. He went on to play at A&M.
That particular La Marque team as well as the Willoridge teams with Thurmond Thomas were the fastest teams Jasper has ever played.

big daddy russ
09-17-2004, 10:16 AM
One of my HS girlfriends was from Calallen, so I rooted for them year in and year out. I went into a deep depression every year about the time of the semifinals.:(

SintonFan
09-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Like big daddy russ I follow Calallen football. Grrrrrrr La Marque!:mad:

cunbed10
09-17-2004, 10:52 AM
I REMember a team that had one guy at WR very fast and they beat a team of fast guys out of Marlin 37-6 and then the last game of the year was played in Tyler and Everyone Including me couldn't believe that there was a team out there, with more speed than Marlin, but let met tail you excution and a good offensive tackle hurt us Atlanta excuted very well, not to say that they were faster, but the skill players, and the excution on defense and offense prove to be the difference maker. If I was playing against Jasper I look at some film first.

SintonFan
09-17-2004, 11:00 AM
BTW cunbed10. Glad to see you back here posting.:)

spiveyrat
09-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan

Yeah, I have a chip on my shoulder about them too... along with Bay City. GRRRR! :mad:

Gobbla2001
09-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Does that mean you don't like Cuero for breaking Calallen's 75 game home win streak in '99?

Well, I don't like Cuero neither...

I LOVE CUERO!

SintonFan
09-17-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Does that mean you don't like Cuero for breaking Calallen's 75 game home win streak in '99?

Well, I don't like Cuero neither...

I LOVE CUERO!
:p :D

bc 76
09-17-2004, 01:08 PM
The fastest defense i ever saw was the 1983 Bay City team that won state.Everybody on that defense ran 4.6 or better.