PDA

View Full Version : Flashback: La Grange Freshman #15

Pudlugger
09-16-2004, 09:44 PM
in 1997 LG had a problem at Qb. To be precise, they didn't have one. Coach V dug deep into his talent pool and started freshmanTye Gunn # 15 against Columbus in the first district match. Gunn rushed and passed to lead the Leps to victory and the 1997 La Grange Leopards went to the State Semi-final losing to Sealy who they had defeated earlier in the season( the one in the 63-1 on their roadside billboard). Tonight who was leading the Leps JV to a decisive victory over Gonzales? #15 freshman Cody Latham brought up to the JV by Coach V last week. Latham was impressive in his poise on the option and his hard hitting hole punching ability to move upfield. Normally you don't see coach V on the sidelines at JV games but he was there tonight. Moving this kid up, giving him Tye's number and watching him disect the Apache defense brings up one big question: Is this a replay of 1997?

La Grange
09-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Nope...

The only reason he is on J.V. is because Neisar and Woods are the two sophmore quarterbacks, and they got moved up to varsity this year. Latham is a good quarterback, but he is the kind of guy that is going to tell you that he is the greatest player on the field and everyone should bow to him.

DawgFan91
09-16-2004, 10:14 PM
I may be wrong, but I think LaGrange actually beat Sealy in '96. And in Columbus, Dobbins and the Leps defense led them to a close victory. Gunn's biggest memory of that game was actually living through the hit Bo Schobel put on him running lead option. If you were there, you remember the hit and the ball going straight up in the air about 15 feet. May have knocked Gunn's helmet off too but I can't remember that for sure. In the '97 quarterfinals however, Gunn had an unbelievable game on the ground vs. Columbus with over 200 yds in a LaGrange blowout in the Dome. Best frosh QB I have ever seen.

The part about #15 is pretty cool though. Good luck.

La Grange
09-16-2004, 10:18 PM
You are correct is was 1996 that the leps beat Sealy. In that Columbus game in Columbus do you remember dobbins scoring on three consecutive plays, the first two were called back for bogus penalties put out by homer refs.

Pudlugger
09-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
Nope...

The only reason he is on J.V. is because Neisar and Woods are the two sophmore quarterbacks, and they got moved up to varsity this year. Latham is a good quarterback, but he is the kind of guy that is going to tell you that he is the greatest player on the field and everyone should bow to him.

Well that's your opinion and that's fine. But answer me this: why would Coach V move a frosh up to jv when the jv has a good qb already (Hatfield)? It is for one reason, to season the kid for real competetion. The fact is that the Qb job is still open on the varsity. Until someone steps up to claim the job it is up for grabs. In the mind of a coach who looks down the road for three or four seasons (not just one, like most seniors) it makes sense to bring up a freshman. If one of the two sophs can step up and get the job done, great. That means LG has depth and a real future. Good luck tomorrow night and get after those Apaches!:D

La Grange
09-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Well that's your opinion and that's fine. But answer me this: why would Coach V move a frosh up to jv when the jv has a good qb already (Hatfield)? It is for one reason, to season the kid for real competetion. The fact is that the Qb job is still open on the varsity. Until someone steps up to claim the job it is up for grabs. In the mind of a coach who looks down the road for three or four seasons (not just one, like most seniors) it makes sense to bring up a freshman. If one of the two sophs can step up and get the job done, great. That means LG has depth and a real future. Good luck tomorrow night and get after those Apaches!:D

Hatfield got moved to quarterback this year, and he really has never molded into a q.b.. Neisar or Woods will be the q.b. when they are seniors, and that puts Latham as a junior. Coach V. if he is still here will not want to start a senior at q.b. unless he has had playing time, and Latham will not have it. Look for Deon Mac Kenzie to be the Lep's future future q.b., loads of speed and he has a cannon.

DawgFan91
09-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Oh yeah, I definitely remember. The first two were the same exact play--a reverse, and were called back. Was the third a middle screen? Don't know about the homer ref thing though. It was a great game regardless. The Cards were so thin though that when Connor went out of that playoff game with the score 7-7, the game was over then. He was the all-state safety with responsibility for Gunn on the lead option and the only QB that had played all season (minus one play in Cuero in game 2). That season was the end of a pretty good run for Columbus.

Pudlugger
09-17-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by La Grange
Hatfield got moved to quarterback this year, and he really has never molded into a q.b.. Neisar or Woods will be the q.b. when they are seniors, and that puts Latham as a junior. Coach V. if he is still here will not want to start a senior at q.b. unless he has had playing time, and Latham will not have it. Look for Deon Mac Kenzie to be the Lep's future future q.b., loads of speed and he has a cannon.

Well LaGrange that certainly is the conventional wisdom on the issue but I'm still curious why Coach V moved him up. In past years when the jv had a talented qb Coach moved him up to varsity right away(Anderle, for example, left the jv in mid season to go varsity in 2000). I don't think Coach V is all that concerned about strengthening the jv team. JV football is all about developing talent for varsity. It is a way station where players get seasoned a little before the big leagues where it gets a lot rougher and a lot more intense. I think he wants to see what this kid can do against the big boys so he moved him off the freshman team early. Last night he looked real sharp, even scoring on a busted play and fumbled exchange.

As for tonight, I wish you luck. If everyone settles down and performs their assignments you will win. The talent is there. You could see it last week in the first half against Sealy but yall just didn't pull together completely and finish the job. Tonight should be different. If the D plays like it did for 3 1/2 quarters last week for the entire game then the O should deliver enough points to win the game IMO.

BULLRUSH
09-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
in 1997 LG had a problem at Qb. To be precise, they didn't have one. Coach V dug deep into his talent pool and started freshmanTye Gunn # 15 against Columbus in the first district match. Gunn rushed and passed to lead the Leps to victory and the 1997 La Grange Leopards went to the State Semi-final losing to Sealy who they had defeated earlier in the season( the one in the 63-1 on their roadside billboard). Tonight who was leading the Leps JV to a decisive victory over Gonzales? #15 freshman Cody Latham brought up to the JV by Coach V last week. Latham was impressive in his poise on the option and his hard hitting hole punching ability to move upfield. Normally you don't see coach V on the sidelines at JV games but he was there tonight. Moving this kid up, giving him Tye's number and watching him disect the Apache defense brings up one big question: Is this a replay of 1997?

I have seen Coach Valastro on the sideline of many sub-varsity games. I think his appearrance might have more to do with having the time to do it and varsity practice being over.
Good luck to the Leopards!

Pudlugger
09-17-2004, 10:16 AM
In my experience he will sit off in the back near the fieldhouse or band bleachers and let the other coaches run the show. It struck me as unusual for him to be up along the sidelines. Oh well maybe it is no big thing. On the other hand if this turns out to be "a building year" than maybe...

Go Leps, score some TDs tonight and beat the Apaches!:D