PDA

View Full Version : We lost so im taking you to court

cjeffsjeep
09-16-2004, 03:14 PM
MIAMI -- Miami Edison High School's football team is hoping a day in court will help overturn its playoff loss.

Motions for a temporary injunction were filed Wednesday and a circuit judge will hear the team's case Friday morning, team attorneys said.

Edison contends that a referee had no reason to stop the clock with 2 seconds remaining against Palm Beach Gardens Dwyer last weekend after a Dwyer player, frustrated that his team had been stopped just short of the goal line, pulled off his helmet.

That stoppage gave Dwyer time to kick the game-winning 19-yard field goal and win 11-10.

"There's definitely a sense of hope," said Edison coach Corey Bell, whose team returned to practice Wednesday for the first time since the disputed loss.

Dwyer is scheduled to meet Pompano Beach Ely on Friday in the Region 4 semifinals. Circuit Judge Gerald Hubbart could choose to delay that game.

If Hubbart sides with Edison, attorneys would have to then take the case to the Third District Court of Appeals, but it is unclear whether the case could be heard before the next playoff round is completed.

Dwyer has gone about its preparations for the next playoff round as usual.

"It's been a real big distraction for me. ... I don't think it's bothered our kids at all, though," coach Jack Daniels said.

Although the Florida High School Activities Association does not allow game outcomes to be reversed or appealed, Edison's attorneys are basing their argument on a precedent set during the state softball tournament in 2000.

Then, Miami Palmetto lost a playoff game to Miami Southridge but was allowed to have that game replayed because the FHSAA had inadvertently left the names of two Palmetto players off the playoff roster. Palmetto won the rematch and went on to claim the state championship.

The FHSAA never allowed Palmetto to replay that game. Palmetto earned the rematch by getting an injunction in circuit court.

JasperDog94
09-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by cjeffsjeep
Then, Miami Palmetto lost a playoff game to Miami Southridge but was allowed to have that game replayed because the FHSAA had inadvertently left the names of two Palmetto players off the playoff roster. Palmetto won the rematch and went on to claim the state championship. Proof that truth is stranger than fiction.

shankbear
09-16-2004, 03:33 PM
I hate lawyers and I are one. lol

cjeffsjeep
09-16-2004, 03:36 PM
i just thought this was funny iv never hurd of a thing like that. it just goes to show you that Florida people dont just mess up at the poles

lol

JasperDog94
09-16-2004, 03:43 PM
I've heard of cases brought before the UIL regarding eligibility, but not for a playoff loss.

It does sound like the current case has more merit than just leaving somebody's name off a program. What is this country coming to?:rolleyes:

Phil C
09-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Sure enough they had to have happened in FloriDUH! lol

BullFrog Dad
09-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
I hate lawyers and I are one. lol It's the 99% of the lawyers that gives the rest of you guys a bad name! Was this last year or are they having football playoffs in Florida already?

cjeffsjeep
09-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
It's the 99% of the lawyers that gives the rest of you guys a bad name! Was this last year or are they having football playoffs in Florida already?

i belive this was 2 years ago

JasperDog94
09-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
It's the 99% of the lawyers that gives the rest of you guys a bad name! Was this last year or are they having football playoffs in Florida already? I thought it was kinda early for football playoffs...even for Florida.