PDA

View Full Version : DMN posted this this morning....about lightning tragedy

kaorder1999
09-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Football player dies after lightning strike

08:23 AM CDT on Thursday, September 16, 2004

By KIMBERLY DURNAN / DallasNews.com

A Grapeland high school football player died Wednesday after the team’s field was struck by lightning during practice on Tuesday.

Russell Pennington, a senior, suffered from severe burns and was flown to Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston, where he died around 4 p.m., school superintendent Buddy Sumrall told DallasNews.com.

About 40 students and coaches suffered injuries, including soreness, headaches, abdominal pains and burns. Nineteen students and two coaches were hospitalized overnight. All were released by Wednesday afternoon except for one coach, who is in good condition, said Rebecca Berkley, spokeswoman for East Texas Medical Center.

The team was about to wrap up Tuesday’s practice when it started to sprinkle around 5:30 p.m., Sumrall said.

Because of clouds, the coaches had brought a lightning meter to the field, which tells them whether lightning is in the area and gives the distance. The meter did not indicate anything was in the area, Sumrall said.

“It was a single bolt of lightning – period,” Sumrall said. “Just a freak of nature. There were a couple of hundred people at the field and no one saw lightning before or after that one bolt.”

The football players were running sprints when the bolt struck the middle of the pack, said Jerry Richards, an assistant coach.

“It staggered everybody,” he said. “The force of it either knocked you down or knocked you backward several feet.”

Coaches performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Pennington until emergency aid arrived.

The bizarre incident has left Grapeland, a town of 1,500 about 120 miles southeast of Dallas, stunned and grieving.

This week’s football game was canceled and only a half-day of school was scheduled for Thursday so counselors could talk to students.

Sumrall fought back tears when he talked about how he will remember Pennington.

“He’s one terrific kid,” he said. “He was a leader in the classroom, football field, in his church. He was an excellent student, a great kid from an excellent family.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Ranger Mom
09-16-2004, 08:46 AM
That just breaks my heart to hear that!

kaorder1999
09-16-2004, 08:49 AM
after reading this story its eery how similar this incident is to the lightning tragedy that happened in forney 10 years ago. Just started sprinkling with no signs of lightning in the area. A single bolt hits knocking everyone to the ground and injuring many. One person was hurt critically and CPR was administered on him. Coaches and athletes were treated for it. And one athlete, one great person, loses his life.

I was a sophomore when that happened in Forney and I understand what that community and school is going through right now. Clay was one of my very good friends. Those athletes will re-live that day in their minds daily for a very long time. Think about them today!

kaorder1999
09-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Here is the sotry from when it happened in Forney....
--------------------------------

Lightning hits field, injures 15 in Forney, Texas

From a Dallas-Fort Worth newspaper (August 29, 1995)

A bolt of lightning jolted a high school football field during afternoon practice yesterday, injuring 12 players, two coaches and a student trainer in the small town of Forney, 20 miles east of Dallas.

Sophomore Clay Jones, 15, suffered cardiac arrest and burns. He remained in critical condition last night at Baylor University Medical Cetner in Dallas.

Three students were in stable condition last night, five were still being evaluated and four others, including the female trainer, were treated and released, said Jeff Place, the evening administrator at Baylor.

The coaches-Brad Turner and Horlos Cotton Barrett - were released from the Medical Center of Mesquite about 8 p.m., a hospital spokeswoman said.

A light drizzle had just stopped when lightning hit the football field at 3:56 p.m. during daily practice of the combined varsity and junior varsity squads. The jolt left more than 30 players and coaches sprawled on the turf.

"We all hit the ground, and it was quiet for two or three seconds until they told us to hit the fieldhouse," said Oscar Rivera, 17, a varsity linebacker.

Coaches of the District 12-3A team stayed on the field, giving first aid to two junior varsity players who remained on the ground - Jones and sophomore Nick Purvis.

"It was like an explosion," said Rivera. You could feel it, and you smelled it burning."

Defensive end Raphael Dewberry said: "We heard a thump, and we all hit the ground. I was real close to one of the guys who got hit bad. I felt like a thump in my helmet, like somebody hit me with a bat or something. We all laid on the ground and on the count of three we all ran into the fieldhouse."

Once inside the fieldhouse, the players prayed.

"Right after we prayed was when they said they got a pulse on Clay," said Sean Daugherty, 17, a varsity linebacker.

"If this kid makes it, it's probably due to some fast acting by the coaches" who administered cardiopulmonary resusciatation, Forney Police Chief Rick Barnes said.

Daugherty and Rivera were among dozens of players and parents who converged at the Baylor emergency room last night, keeping tabs on the injured who had arrived still dressed in their football jerseys.

Addendum. Clay Jones died from his injuries a few weeks later. Lightning reportedly struck his helmet and the jolt of electricity sent him into cardiac arrest. A week prior to his death, hist parents said that their son's vital signs were strong but that his brain was swollen and that their biggest concern was potential brain damage. They said then that doctors had told them it could be days or weeks before the extent of damage was known.

3afan
09-16-2004, 08:35 PM

SintonFan
09-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Our family will pray for him, his family and all involved. What a tragedy.

jdawg85
09-16-2004, 10:32 PM
My prayers are with the family and classmates of this young man. May God sustain and strengthen them in their sorrow.

Keith7
09-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Heres the same story from the associated press.. I found it on ESPN.COM
------------------------------
GRAPELAND, Texas -- A high school football player injured when lightning struck the team as it finished practice has died of severe burns, authorities said.

Russell Pennington, a senior at Grapeland High School, died Wednesday in a hospital. He was among about 40 players and coaches with the team in east Texas who were hospitalized after the lightning bolt struck Tuesday afternoon.

Other injured players were treated for soreness, headaches, abdominal pains and burns, and all had been released Wednesday.

One coach was listed in good condition, hospital officials said.

Assistant coach Jerry Richards said about 40 players were running sprints when the bolt struck one player in the middle of the pack and others hit the ground.

"It staggered everybody," he said. "The force of it either knocked you down or knocked you backward several feet."

Grapeland, a town of about 1,500, is about 120 miles southeast of Dallas.

BrahmaMom
09-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Pryaers from BrahmaMom continue as I can only imagine what this tragedy must me like to live through. God Bless everyone there.