PDA

View Full Version : Newton Turns Up The Heat

Timberwolve
09-15-2001, 10:50 AM
Probably one of the finest comeback victories I have witnessed in High School football during the past 20 years occurred last night when the 21-3A Newton Eagles traveled to the Crockett Bulldogs' stadium. Without a doubt, the Eagles had revenge on their minds for last year's loss by a couple of points to Crockett in the last seconds of the game.

Crockett's first possession resulted in a touchdown then they followed with probably the finest on-side kick in school history. That perfectly executed kick lead to another Crockett possession and again, another score! Before Newton's offensive even left the sidelines for play, Crockett lead the game 12-0. (Both point after attempts failed.)

When the clock ran down to end the first half, Crockett had cranked up 26 points and Newton trailed with 16 points! That would be the last time any points would be added to Crockett's score for the rest of the game.

When the Eagles charged onto the field following halftime, there was a look of determination on their faces. Trailing by 10 points and away from home only seemed to inspire this team even more.

The Newton offense began moving the ball with perfect play execution and outstanding team spirit! The Newton defense was relentless and began smashing the line of scrimmage and putting pressure on Crockett's QB. The defensive backs provide such blanket coverage that Crockett's airborne attack was practically shut down. Newton even assigned several offensive players to the defensive line to plug up the middle with the "beef".

When the final seconds of the game ticked away, the Newton Eagles earned 23 unanswered points and headed to the buses with a final score of 39 to 26!

Evident by last nights performance, the Eagles are not an endangered species!

Without a doubt, excellent coaching and a team heavy in talent and determination makes the Newton Eagles a state-bound threat in Division II - 3A!

Old Cardinal
09-15-2001, 11:05 AM
Congts to Newton. You seem to be able to win against 3A Div, II teams and lose to small enrollment 4A consistently. Yes, I think you can win the Div II crown. As a Bridge City supported however, I think that the BC team will beat you 3 or 4 touchdowns just like last year, for the 21-3A District crown. As you know BC has the incredible speed and depth to win the Division I state championship.

Timberwolve
09-15-2001, 12:42 PM
Hummm...If I recall right, when BC was a small school 4A team, your W/L record reflected a load of L's when playing larger 4-A's...kinda winless for a year or two also? However, I do recall that Newton, one of the smallest enrollment 3A's in the state, if not the smallest, won State in '98 and going deep in the playoffs several times since as well as beating 4A teams in non-district. That's okay, you and your fellow BC's can talk it up all ya want, but I can assure you that the Eagles WILL play tough in BC this season. May the best team win, regardless of enrollment comparisons.

3Aroy
09-15-2001, 01:25 PM
In fact, the '98 team beat Silsbee 44-3, who went on to the 4A semifinals. I wouldnt be talking so much smack, Old Card, because Newton showed that they are for real in the seond half. They have A LOT MORE TALENT, and BETTER COACHING than Bridge City this year. It will be a good game, but dont expect to win it.

[This message has been edited by 3Aroy (edited September 15, 2001).]

bccards
09-15-2001, 02:07 PM
Here we go again, all this smack talk.. Roy, We expect to win the game, AS does your team. We can't say "DONT Expect to WIN it" because we EXPECT just like YOU EXPECT! Bridge City has GREAT Coaching, GREAT Talent, as does NEWTON.. And besides, WHO CARES RIGHT NOW! It's 8 games away! However, GOOD LUCK to the Eagles, and to Bridge City!

Timberwolf: One season winless, darn. The enrollment from a small 4A to big 4A is huge, as much as 1000 kids. 3A its not too much.. maybe 100-200..

Hopefully neither team will have turnover problems in a HUGE game like this one.... I think the game will be closer this year than last, assuming both teams remain healthy...
None the less, the Newton/BC game will be one of the BEST 3A games in the state of Texas! and may the best team win!

Old Cardinal
09-15-2001, 02:22 PM
Yes, you did a good job in '98 folks and yes 3LRoy, Newton did a fair job against BC's 2nd& 3rd strings in the second half last year but remember in an effort at good sportsmanship our 3rd string QB downed the knee on your 4 1/2 yard line. Yes, BC knows what its like to be a little fish in a big 4A pond, and we did not want to humulate you. In all seriousness, last year that big talk about beating BC by 60 points just did not happen. I believe that it will be a good tight game this year...Newton will give it their all---3LRoy, Newton does have talent but remember BC's football team won every running event in the District track meet last year--remember this is no longer '98.

3Aroy
09-15-2001, 07:43 PM
Nope... I agree with you, it isn't '98. However, it isnt '00 either now is it? Soooo, dont look to win by 3 or 4 touchdowns again this season. I am not saying Bridge City might not be able to win it.