PDA

View Full Version : Grapeland lightning incident update

Ranger Mom
09-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Lightning strike hurts some players, staff

Associated Press

GRAPELAND, Texas - Two students and one coach remained hospitalized today in the wake of a lightning strike on an East Texas football team.

About 40 players and coaches with Grapeland High School were hurt by lightning as they finished practice late yesterday.

Officials say one player is hospitalized in Houston in critical condition with burns, while a teammate is hospitalized in Tyler.

A coach was hospitalized in Crockett for observation.

Superintendent Buddy Sumrall says the rain had just begun to fall and the team was preparing to head for the locker room when the lightning hit.

No decision has been made on whether Friday's game against Arp will be played.

JasperDog94
09-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the update RM.

Bandera YaYa
09-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Thank goodness the report I read somewhere, said one played had died! Hopefully all will recover with no permanent disabilities. I have always been so afraid of lightning! :)

JasperDog94
09-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I have always been so afraid of lightning! :) Me too. Especially when I'm in my boat in the middle of the lake.:eek: :eek:

duckbutter
09-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Another update. I have family in Grapeland and was told that one of the kids was being transfered to the Burn Center in Galveston but that they had to stop in Houston because of his condition. He died just a short time ago.

CHS_Grad '85
09-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Oh no... that's sad... I'm so sorry... my prayers are with his family & the community...

HornetMom
09-15-2004, 04:02 PM
As are mine.

Pball
09-15-2004, 04:07 PM
GRAPELAND FOOTBALL PLAYER DIES

18 year old Grapeland High School football player Russell Pennington died this afternoon from internal injuries from the lightning strike on Tuesday afternoon in Grapeland, Texas.

Pennington was at Herman Hospital in Houston.

He's the son of Troy and Lawanda Pennington of Grapeland.

An eyewitness said the lightning struck the ground in the middle of a large group of Grapeland football players and Pennington seemed to take the brunt of the force.

Dozens of others players and two coaches were also injured and treated and ETMC in Crockett and Tyler.

God be with the Pennington family and our prayers are with them and the Grapeland community.

Grapeland's home game this Friday against Arp has been cancelled.

Smoaky