PDA

View Full Version : Ballinger/Kennedale Thoughts

vet93
11-24-2002, 12:37 AM
Congratulations to both teams for playing good, hard-nosed football. Both teams played clean and I didn't see from the stands a whole lot of mouthing etc...I have read from some Kennedale posters about poor coaching for Kennedale. I have to disagree. Kennedale was fundamentally sound. The backs run hard, the linemen come off of the ball well. The play fakes were well executed and precise etc... All of those things don't happen by chance. They have to be coached and drilled into the players. The kids also played hard. I did not see one bit of quit in them at all. If I had any complaint about the coaching it would have to be some questionable clock management toward the end of regulation. I also might have been a little less conseravative in opening up the offense. However...if you are too wide open it can get you in trouble, especially if you are not used to that. It is easy to second guess after the fact. Also, there was no reason on the Kennedale coaches part to come up with anything but a vanilla game plan. It has worked all year, why change. I think that Kennedale underestimated Ballinger quite a bit. They were not the push overs that they thought that they were. I knew after the Wylie game that these kids could play some good playoff ball if they kept their intensity and they have so far. Hopefully, they won't have a letdown (which is common) after a big win. To Kennedale...you have nothing to hang your head about. A loss is always disappointing...but with the athletes that you have returning and the sound fundamentals that the coaches have instilled you will be back with a vengeance next year. I have no doubt. I expect good things from the Wildcats in the future...Good luck! Vet93...a very happy and tired Bearcat fan!

VWG
11-24-2002, 11:39 PM
I have to say that your comment about the Kennedale coaching staff being conservative rings a bell with me. I agree that you have to "dance with the one that brung ya'" and stay to the core of your gameplan. The thing that I see too much of sometimes are coaches who also "go down with the ship". In the playoffs I feel that coaches need to put some new wrinkles in the offense, keep the other team off-guard. In close games if you have those plays, maybe two or three, that the other team has never seen on film it can create an advantage. You know what I mean?
Not saying to stray totally away from your regular offense, but if your down and the other team is stuffing your regular plays, pull out something they've never seen. I've seen some coaches pull out a formation and the other team be so confused by it they call timeout. Then they line up again and it's different from what they had previously called. In the playoffs it's do or die, and why not have something special every week for that game?
Congrats to Ballinger. They are the little engine that could in the playoffs this year.

Matthew328
11-25-2002, 08:34 AM
I don't see why anyone from Kennedale would question coaching..the coaches didn't have all those fumbles...that is what cost the Wildcats the game..not coaching..you can't lose fumbles like they did and expect to win ball games in the playoffs..

CLOCKCHOKE
11-25-2002, 11:05 AM
My oringinal thoughts and input was designed to incite kennedale fans to defend their coach. Apparently they are just as dumbfounded as the rest of the team. Ballinger was a good team that was beat on the field but not on the scoreboard, where it counts. We wish them luck. I apologize to the coaching staff in Kennedale they are one of the best in this area. I would agree with all the previous post about who actually fumbled etc.. But the offensive play calling was very predictable. The defense were never on their heals, they seem to overpursue. My dad always said, when your in the stands, you never lose and playing calling is remarkable but its a whole different beast when your on the sidelines and accountable for the game. Good luck to Ballinger

DEATH-DIVE
11-26-2002, 12:46 PM
I WILL DEFEND THE COACHING STAFF OF KENNEDALE. I HAVE COACHED (NOT NOW) AND PLAYED WITH MANY OF THESE GUYS INCLUDING THE HEAD COACH. TO SAY THE OFFENSE IS/WAS PREDICTABLE IS QUESTIONABLE. THE WING T OFFENSE IS BASED ON A "SERIES" OF PLAYS THAT WEAVE A COMMON THREAD IN MOVEMENT. THESE THREADS CREATE DECEPTION THROUGH SERIES. THUS, CREATING DEFENSIVE RESPECT FOR EACH OFFENSIVE BALL HANDLER, AND HOPEFULLY CONFUSION. THE DEFENSE SEES THE SAME SERIES BUT WHO HAS THE BALL? COACH BARRETT HAS ATLEAST 100 PLAYS WITH THAT MANY FORMATIONS. THE TRUTH TO THE WING T IS, STOP THE LEAD,SWEEP, TRAP,AND BOOTLEG AND THE GAME IS OVER, MORE OR LESS. EASIER SAID THAN DONE. THUS, YOU MUST ESTABLISH THESE PLAYS IN ORDER TO UNFOLD THE COMPLETE OFFENSE. TRUE, BARRETT LOVES THE LEAD,TRAP, SWEEP,AND BOOT. BUT THAT IS THE OFFENSE IN A NUT SHELL. SO MAYBE THE FANS DIDN'T SEE OR UNDERSTAND THE OFFENSE FULLY. AS FAR AS COACH BARRETT GOES HE WILL BE THE FIRST PERSON TO TAKE BLAME FOR HIMSELF OR HIS TEAM, EVEN IF HE WAS OR WASN'T AT FAULT. HE'S A STAND UP GUY. HE WORKS HARD, PREPARES HARD. BELIEVE ME WHEN I STATE, HE WILL LOSE MORE SLEEP OVER THIS THAN ANYONE, HE WILL AGONIZE OVER THIS UNTIL NEXT SEASON. HE EATS, SLEEPS, AND DREAMS FOOTBALL. SO THIS LOSE WILL HAUNT HIM MORE THAN ANY INSULT, BAD PRESS, JUDGMENT OR DISRESPECT YOU CAN TOSS HIS WAY. WHEN YOU HAVE LONG FORGOTTEN THE GAME AND HAVE MOVED ON. HE WILL BE WATCHING FILM, TRYING TO GET BETTER. SO THINK ABOUT THAT BEFORE YOU TRY TO BRING DOWN THE KENNEDALE STAFF. WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THEY WERE WORKING 90+ HOURS A WEEK WITH YOUR KID? THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT.
LATER DD

bbearcat101
11-26-2002, 11:36 PM
It's been a while since I have a posted a message on a board, but I can't stand reading these posts without responding. I am from Ballinger and went to the game. Kennedale did have more talent on the field than we did, but we won the game. It was the best game that our kids have played all year. I was extremely proud of our kids. They continued to show the HEART that they have all year long. We are not the same team that we were at the begining of the season, not even close. It bothers me though that some say that Kennedale beat themselves. We won the game. We played mistake free football and that is what it takes to advance in the playoffs. There are no excuses. If Kennedale beat themselves then I suppose it is alright for me to say that we beat ourselves when we played Wylie. Wylie won the game and that is it. While we may not win the next game we play we did beat Kennedale, talent and all, and that is the bottom line.