PDA

View Full Version : Lightning strikes players/coaches

HornetMom
09-15-2004, 08:39 AM
Heard about this on the radio this morning.

Players, coaches injured when lightning strikes near field

GRAPELAND, Texas (AP) -- About 40 players and coaches with the Grapeland High School football team in East Texas were injured, two of them critically, when lightning struck near their practice field Tuesday evening, authorities said.

One of the critically injured students was flown by helicopter to East Texas Medical Center in Tyler and the other was being transferred to Memorial Hermann hospital in Houston, ETMC hospital officials said.

Twenty-eight students ranging in age from 15-17 and two coaches were being treated at ETMC in nearby Crockett, hospital officials said. Their conditions ranged from good to critical, and they were complaining of soreness, abdominal pain and headaches.

Hospital spokeswoman Rebecca Berkley described it as "Just severe pain all over their bodies."

Seven others in good condition were being kept overnight for observation at Palestine Regional Medical Center, said spokeswoman Lynn Scribner.

The lightning strike occurred about 5:30 p.m. as the Grapeland Sandies' practice was winding down, according to radio station KBHT, which frequently broadcasts games.

"This occurred just out of the blue, no warning. It's not like lightning was flashing and building up," Grapeland Police Chief Roger Dickey said. "It just caught everybody off guard and it had already hit before anybody knew it."

The District 21-2A school is 3-0 so far this season.

Grapeland is about 120 miles southeast of Dallas.

kaorder1999
09-15-2004, 08:53 AM
my prayers are with them......ive been through a very similar experience where I lost a very good friend due to a lighning strike at football practice. Im sure that town is in shock right now. They need our prayers

chaingang
09-15-2004, 08:57 AM
That absolutley horrible. I hope everyone will be ok.

CHS_Grad '85
09-15-2004, 10:26 AM
My prayers are with them as well... wow...

IHStangFan
09-15-2004, 11:22 AM
thats horrible, i hope everyone comes through it okay.

BrahmaMom
09-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Do we have an update on conditions of people? There are two threads going about this, maybe I missed it. My prayers are with them all.

Panther Ross
09-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Poor guys, I heard that one of them died. My mom told me that just now. They are all going to need our prayers.

NHSRattler60
09-15-2004, 08:57 PM
It came through Navasota too. The lightening stuck a close by pasture and had close loud thunder. Scared me so much I ran a 4.4 to get inside.

aamove
09-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Our families prayers our with the coaches and the players.

Ranger05
09-15-2004, 10:09 PM
my prayers are with them also

JettJenkins04
09-15-2004, 10:40 PM
That is a very sad situation, I send my prayers out to all the victims and there familys

CHS_CG
09-15-2004, 10:41 PM
All I have heard about it is that the one that took the hardest hit was in the middle and he died this afternoon. Caldwell sends thier prayers to east Texas.

Hupernikomen
09-15-2004, 10:48 PM
The report of the players death was on the Fox Southwest report. They said he was a fine young man and a leader both on and off the field. Grapeland is a town of 1500 and this will hit them hard.

My prayers are with them all, but especially his fellow players and his family.