PDA

View Full Version : Spread vs Rushing Teams

Bullaholic
09-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Is the spread offense taking over in 5A-3A teams? I wonder how many past state champs have been spread offenses? How many will win this year? Just a few thoughts.

DFHM
09-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Wharton has one of the best spread offences. Good recievers and a damn good quarterback.

3afan
09-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by DFHM
... offences ...

to bad they can't spell :D :D :D

Old Green
09-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by DFHM
Wharton has one of the best spread offences. Good recievers and a damn good quarterback. Wharton has 9 real good recievers and one of the best QB's in Jones to go along with that spread offense.

Gobbla2001
09-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

Ditto! :clap: ;)

Necked
09-14-2004, 08:40 PM
The problem with the Spread offense is ages old...The Weather!
Once that cold, wet playoff weather sets in I think its better to have a sure handed running back pound out 3-4 yards a play than 4 frozen receivers that have been running fly patterns all day...

Keith7
09-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Gainesville and Burnet both ran the spread offense.. both were in the finals

DFHM
09-14-2004, 08:49 PM
if you are thinking i'm from wharton your wrong. sorry to burst your bubble

Keith7
09-14-2004, 08:50 PM
i'm starting to get sick of hearing about wharton.. they need to win games if they are so awesome

crabman
09-14-2004, 08:51 PM
There was an article on one of the other web sites the other day about the spread being the ultimate downfall of football in Texas. They are afraid Texas will not produce the quality of linemen and running backs that they always have. The spread does allow you to win with less talent but not necessecarily play football the way it was supposed to be played. 2 or 3 good DB's and a little blitz will stop the spread if executed properly. Once it is stopped, if you can't run or run block, you are a below average team. If the spread is the end all solution to winning, how come the pros don't run it exclusively? They are balanced as should be high school football.

Old Green
09-14-2004, 08:53 PM
They will Keith.

44INAROW
09-14-2004, 08:53 PM

Sorry but I can't resist this and since you brought it up, it should be TOO BAD THEY CAN'T SPELL lol:D

**or at least I think it is.. according to my spell check

Keith7
09-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by crabman
There was an article on one of the other web sites the other day about the spread being the ultimate downfall of football in Texas. They are afraid Texas will not produce the quality of linemen and running backs that they always have. The spread does allow you to win with less talent but not necessecarily play football the way it was supposed to be played. 2 or 3 good DB's and a little blitz will stop the spread if executed properly. Once it is stopped, if you can't run or run block, you are a below average team. If the spread is the end all solution to winning, how come the pros don't run it exclusively? They are balanced as should be high school football.

If it aint broke then why fix it?? if teams are having success with it, then why change it?? Spread is not the downfall of texas football, some old person wrote that, remembering when teams could not pass... Spread is an Evolution in football.. Gainesville is a running offense and they run the spread and have the best 3A running back in state.. so how does the spread not produce running backs????

Gobbla2001
09-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
i'm starting to get sick of hearing about wharton.. they need to win games if they are so awesome

Yah, you heard the man, let's talk about Decatur haha...

Keith7
09-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Yah, you heard the man, let's talk about Decatur haha...

no too much talk about them too.. I want to hear about Whitesboro

pavilion
09-14-2004, 08:56 PM

they played an awesome el campo team and lost by 9 and played an awesome cuero team and lost by 1... wharton is a very good team but they cant beat every team in the state... this friday will be different for them though

Keith7
09-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by pavilion
they played an awesome el campo team and lost by 9 and played an awesome cuero team and lost by 1... wharton is a very good team but they cant beat every team in the state... this friday will be different for them though

who do they play??

slpybear the bullfan
09-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Bullaholic,

The spread is so popular in HS football because it is generally the easiest way for a team to become a threat on offense... (i.e. the easiets way to be a tough team to cover on defense).

I still think the toughest thing to do on the field at the HS level is to ask a 16 year old corner to cover a talented experienced spread offense. Good luck.

slpybear

ps - Bullaholic, glad to see another B'port fan on the Low... Welcome.

LST_Terry
09-14-2004, 10:14 PM
some old person wrote that, remembering when teams could not pass...

Actually I know they guy and he is young, just loves power football, I am hoping to get him on my show to debate this because I like the spread offense

Keith7
09-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by LST_Terry
Actually I know they guy and he is young, just loves power football, I am hoping to get him on my show to debate this because I like the spread offense

well tell him that u can run the ball with the spread offense

big daddy russ
09-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Offence or offense, either could actually be considered the proper spelling. Many police blotters still use the classic spelling, offence, but most of modern America prefers the latter. The United Kingdom, on the other hand, along with South Africa and most of Australia still spells it with a "c.":D :D :D

LST_Terry
09-14-2004, 10:23 PM
EXACTLY! the spread is not a gimmick passing offense, it is a way to use speed, and open up lanes for the running game. Not every team can run the offense.

DFHM
09-14-2004, 10:24 PM
lol, this is getting good.

Keith7
09-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Many undersized speedy teams use it because they cannot simply line up and run over the other team..

LST_Terry
09-14-2004, 10:27 PM
The funny thing is people think of offenses like the Bone and the veer as power football, but those offenses are predicated on lineman taking correct angles and using leverage, not just running over the guy in front of you. The spread offense might not use big lineman, but you have to be a smart lineman to know who to pick up on blitzes.

big daddy russ
09-14-2004, 10:32 PM
I think the offense that a particular team should use has more to do with the personnel than anything else. If a team has a bunch of quick boys running around (or just spades and spades of gifted skill players), the spread opens it up a little more against larger teams and at the same time gives you a chance to get all your weapons on the field at the same time. A lot of HS basketball teams live by the philosophy to just put your five best on the court, don't worry about the size. The spread basically gives you this option on a football field. It's especially useful if you have a great two-dimensional tailback or you don't have a huge line. Spread offenses tend to keep the defense back a little. But if you don't have that speed and if your boys can't catch the football, that offense doesn't do you much good.

On the other hand, some teams (see Calallen) live on a diet of corn, protein shakes and raw eggs. They're big boys, and a running offense works better for them. They can cram it down another team's throat all day long and wear them down by the end of the game. Three yards and a cloud of dust works for certain teams, but if your average lineman is 5'9", 175# you might want to consider a different approach.

Just my two cents.

VWG
09-15-2004, 06:33 AM
An earlier post said it's easier for a WR in high school to run a good route than to find a DB that can do the job for 4 qtrs. in coverage. I agree that the spread does have it's advantages in this regard. Well timed short passing routes can be deadly in the high school game. I think the problem with the spread is ultimately finding a QB who can run/throw and also not being able to pound the ball when you do need those 3-4 yards for the first down.
I think Gainesville would be more effective utilizing what clearly is one of the best backs in the state by a more power running game.
A spread offense leaves one back in the backfield and generally looks like a hand off and "here you go buddy, see what you can do". With an I formation, wishbone, veer, wing-T, etc... you have the option of having a lead blocker (usually fullback) that can help pave the way through.
That being said, the best offense should have a good mixture of run and passing attack. I think Abilene Wylie does this better than anyone year in and year out. They run a pro-style offense with two backs and usually run and pass the ball very well. It keeps the defense on their toes.

Masseter
09-15-2004, 07:59 AM
who do they play??

Brazosport

Masseter
09-15-2004, 08:01 AM
If it aint broke then why fix it?? if teams are having success with it, then why change it?? Spread is not the downfall of texas football, some old person wrote that, remembering when teams could not pass... Spread is an Evolution in football.. Gainesville is a running offense and they run the spread and have the best 3A running back in state.. so how does the spread not produce running backs????
I agree, Wharton runs the spread and the running back that graduated from there last year had about 1,500 rushing yards. He now plays for BYU.

cjeffsjeep
09-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Well this is what happens when a spread vs a running team
Cuero (run)56
Warton (spread)55

there both great and they both work well if you have the teams that can pull them off :thinking:

FbCoachB40
09-15-2004, 09:23 AM
If the spread isn't good in the playoff months because it is so cold; then please explain the success of the spread teams in the playoffs last year. Burnet, Gainsville(champs), LaMarque(Champs), Bay City, North Shore(Champs), the list goes on and on

scrub c
09-15-2004, 09:31 AM
call it what you want.

If you can run the ball and/or throw the ball, (or both) it doesn't matter what you line up in or what you call it.

Sometimes is just comes down to MY KIDS ARE BETTER THAN YOUR KIDS.

Which is EXACTLY the case in the playoff months.

Those teams mentioned could have been running the flex-bone and been better than everyone else.
Oh yeah, and I didn't know Northshore ran a "spread" attack.

FbCoachB40
09-15-2004, 09:46 AM
I agree scrub, which is why I don't understand this topic. Who cares. If you are good, you are good. I think that the spread offense was put in to get talented guys out of the gym and on the football field. Wharton for instance has had a decent basketball for a while. However, the football program took off after going to spread. The thump-thumps came out of the gym so that they could play high tempo football. Gym rats don't want to bang and grind it out. Just the way I see it

rgn4fb
09-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Some of you are are confusing the spread with teams that only throw. The spread by definition is usually a one back offense and either 2+2 or trips and a split side. Many teams that run the spread offense run the ball more than pas. Probably the best is to have a 50/50 mixture of run and pass. You can do this out of the gun or under center or both. This is just an offense designed to "spread" out the defense. Thus the name spread. Many great run teams have a lot of yards rushing while in the spread.