PDA

View Full Version : Prayer for Grapeland Players

Pball
09-14-2004, 07:36 PM
I was just informed that approx 10-12 Grapeland players were struck by lightning this afternoon. I was also told that two were in very serious condition. Please pray for them.

Bulldog_12
09-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Were they out practicing or what? Thats horrible I will definately pray for them.

Pball
09-14-2004, 07:42 PM
It is my understanding that they were at practice, but my information is by a second party so I am not 100% positive.

Pball
09-14-2004, 07:44 PM
I just received this off of a different forum.

"Just been told that most of the players hit (around 13-14) are at ETMC in Crockett, one is being airlifted to Tyler and one died.

Please keep these players and their families in your prayers. "

Bulldog_12
09-14-2004, 07:45 PM
If thats true, why did the coaches have the players outside when lightning was that close?

Bandera YaYa
09-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Oh how horrible! We must all keep them in our prayers. I am assuming they were at practice. You really have to watch out for lightning..I have been told it can strike from far away.

Pball
09-14-2004, 07:47 PM
I don't know the answer to your question. I am certain all the facts will be developed. Right now we just need to pray.

Bulldog_12
09-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Thats true, it can strike from a good distance away, but a storm doesn't just sneak up on you. You have to know when its time to call it quits.

Bandera YaYa
09-14-2004, 07:49 PM
How true...but whatever it was, it's so sad.

Bulldog_12
09-14-2004, 07:51 PM
yes it is, very sad.

3afan
09-14-2004, 09:05 PM
AP report:

GRAPELAND, Texas (AP) — More than two dozen players and coaches with the Grapeland High School football team in East Texas were injured when lightning struck near their practice field Tuesday evening, authorities said.
Twenty-four students ranging in age from 15-17 and at least two coaches were being treated at East Texas Medical Center in nearby Crockett, hospital officials said.
Their conditions ranged from good to critical, and they were complaining of soreness, abdominal pain and headaches. One critical patient was waiting to be transferred to another hospital, a spokeswoman said.
Hospital spokeswoman Rebecca Berkley described it as ``Just severe pain all over their bodies.''
The lightning strike occurred about 5:30 p.m. as the Grapeland Sandies' practice was winding down, according to radio station KBHT, which frequently broadcasts games.
``This occurred just out of the blue, no warning. It's not like lightning was flashing and building up,'' Grapeland Police Chief Roger Dickey said. ``It just caught everybody off guard and it had already hit before anybody knew it.''
The District 21-2A school is 3-0 so far this season.
Grapeland is about 120 miles southeast of Dallas.

Pball
09-14-2004, 09:06 PM
This is a update.

Grapeland Players Struck By Lightning (No One Killed)

Players, coaches injured when lightning strikes near field
Eds: Moving on news and sports lines

GRAPELAND, Texas - More than two dozen players and coaches with the Grapeland High School football team in East Texas were injured when lightning struck near their practice field Tuesday evening, authorities said.

Twenty-four students ranging in age from 15-17 and at least two coaches were being treated at East Texas Medical Center in nearby Crockett, hospital officials said.

Their conditions ranged from good to critical, and they were complaining of soreness, abdominal pain and headaches. One critical patient was waiting to be transferred to another hospital, a spokeswoman said.

Hospital spokeswoman Rebecca Berkley described it as "Just severe pain all over their bodies."

The lightning strike occurred about 5:30 p.m. as the Grapeland Sandies' practice was winding down, according to radio station KBHT, which frequently broadcasts games.

"This occurred just out of the blue, no warning. It's not like lightning was flashing and building up," Grapeland Police Chief Roger Dickey said. "It just caught everybody off guard and it had already hit before anybody knew it."

The District 21-2A school is 3-0 so far this season.

Grapeland is about 120 miles southeast of Dallas

snakebite
09-14-2004, 09:18 PM
NHS will definately be praying for those people. Its such a shame when something fun and entertaining like this becomes life threatning. Good luck in the future and best wishes to all of the players and coaches.

3afan
09-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
If thats true, why did the coaches have the players outside when lightning was that close?

u cant assume anything - it could have been clear skies & nothing on the meter (if they have one) ...

LH Panther Mom
09-14-2004, 09:45 PM
Prayers are coming from me.

Rabbit'93
09-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Same thing happened several years back in Forney. One player died at the hospital. Several were injured. It's a tough deal. They have my prayers.

Hupernikomen
09-14-2004, 10:58 PM
arch lightning can strike many miles away from a storm. Could be a blue, cloudless sky and lightning could come out of nowhere. Rare, but possible. Lets not assume negligence here. My prayers are for a quick recover for all.

Ranger Mom
09-14-2004, 11:07 PM
Prayers going out from me also.

I am curious though, was there or was there not a death relating from this??

BrahmaMom
09-15-2004, 07:56 AM
Every one of those boys and men and their families are in my prayers. May a speedy recovery let the team finish their season with quite a story to tell. God Bless.

PPHSfan
09-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Prayers going out from me also.

I am curious though, was there or was there not a death relating from this??

According to the news this morning, there is one child in critical condition, but no deaths.

Hupernikomen
09-15-2004, 08:44 AM
let's keep praying for the young man..can any get us a first name to add to our prayers (not necessary but I would like to share it at the prayer meeting tonight at church).

venomous tat2
09-15-2004, 09:02 AM
The rattler family will pray for everyone to have a speedy recovery and may the Lord comfort the families in this time of need.

kaorder1999
09-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Thats true, it can strike from a good distance away, but a storm doesn't just sneak up on you. You have to know when its time to call it quits.

no...you are wrong. It can sneak up on you. The last thing coaches want to do is put their atheltes in harms way. Like others have said...it can be a nice blue sky day and a freak bolt can still come out of nowhere. It has happened before. These athletes, families and coaches need our prayers right now....not ridicule

justagirl2
09-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Update - the one boy, Russell Pennington, who was in the most critical condition yesterday died this afternoon in a Houston hospital.

After he went down on the field, two of his coaches performed CPR on him for 9 minutes. He staretd breathing again, but crashed in the ambulance on the way to Crockett. They brought him back again, enough to stabilize and life-flight him to Houston, but he died this afternoon. He had been burned over 50% of his body, and had internal injuries.

My heart goes out to everyone involved.

BrahmaMom
09-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the update, sad, sad though it is. My thoughts and prayers are with the Pennington family and the entire community. May Russell rest in peace in the loving arms of the Lord.