PDA

View Full Version : Actor Johnny Depp insults his native country (USA)

Phil C
09-03-2003, 11:53 AM
he likened the USA to a dumb puppy with big teeth. He lives in France and good riddence and stay there with his live in companion. We are crazy to support his movies and make him rich but we forgave the Dixie Chicks and are still making them rich so we will probably keep going to his movies. Wake up America! People point out that they have the right to say how they feel but they failt to point out that we also have the right to choose whose movies and concerts we go to if we disagree with them. It goes both ways.

sinton66
09-03-2003, 12:15 PM
I say we send Chuck Norris or Steven Sagal over to have a talk with him, or kick his teeth in, whichever they prefer. :D

espn1
09-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Just let me visit with him and any other pathetic idiotic fool that agrees with that piece of Dog $ _ _ T.

BlueBlood
09-03-2003, 12:21 PM
I hereby rename Johnny Depp. New name is Johnny Dung.

sinton66
09-03-2003, 12:21 PM
The really crappy part about this, he says this stuff right after starring in a Disney Movie made for kids. Yeah, GREAT role model, huh?

crzyjournalist03
09-03-2003, 04:10 PM
sinton66:
The really crappy part about this, he says this stuff right after starring in a Disney Movie made for kids. Yeah, GREAT role model, huh?Pirates of the Caribbean was Disney??? I saw the movie and never even realized that. I'm not sure it was made for kids though.

sinton66
09-03-2003, 05:55 PM
I didn't see the movie and prolly only thought it was Disney. May not have been. He's still a wanker!

Gilmer Buckeye
09-03-2003, 06:52 PM
I've barely even heard of this Johnny Depp fellow. I rarely go to movies and literally the only time I turn on the TV anymore is to watch a football game.

That said, I want some of you people who think George W. Bush is the Second Coming of Christ to explain to me why he is asking the UN for help in Iraq today. I thought everything was going well for the neocon "let's make the world safe for Israel" empire and that they had now proven that the UN was "irrelevant."

I've never liked the UN much either; it just astounds me that the Bush administration is suddenly going hat in hand to the Security Council to beg for troops. If the U.S. federal government didn't want to occupy Iraq indefinitely, it shouldn't have invaded in the first place. Everyone was telling the neocons beforehand that this might happen, but they bet on the "rosy scenario."

As for this movie star, one of you made an excellent point about the Dixie Chicks. Maines' remark didn't cut into their concert box office at all. In fact, it made them more popular in Europe and Asia. Even Toby Keith is not so sure about the Iraq invasion now, I read the other day. The people who go see these acts really don't care much about international war and politics one way or the other, unless someone in their family is personally involved in it.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-03-2003, 07:00 PM
This just in:

"NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Republican senators are preparing to tell the White House that any additional U.S. money spent on post-war Iraq must be repaid with Iraqi oil revenues or by foreign governments, NBC News reported Wednesday night.
Republican congressional leaders met at the White House late Wednesday afternoon with President George W. Bush but made no public comments afterward.
Various media reports have said the White House is preparing to send a supplemental budget request to Congress for spending in Iraq. The Cable News Network reported Tuesday that estimates by sources in Congress on the size of
that request ranged from $30 billion to $60 billion."

Republican senators balking at the bill? What's up with that? Up until now, they've been saying Bush is God. They've turned into damned lib'ruls!

sinton66
09-03-2003, 07:07 PM
No, sorry. They said from the very beginning of the war that Iraq would have to pay for the majority of rebuilding through sales of their oil. This is not a recent development. Meanwhile, the military still has salaries to pay, maintenance costs, logistics to consider, and a multitude of other things. All that takes up front money.

<small>[ September 03, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

slpybear the bullfan
09-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Gilmer, I think you might be out of context here. George W. is requesting the UN to come in and be subject to supervision under the American oversight of the Administration of Iraq. The UN has said consistently that they will not do that till we let them take over the oversight. And I don't see that happening.

All in all, it puts the onus on the UN to put up or get out of the way.

Yes, 66, there was talk before the bombs started regarding not only the use of Iraqi oil revenues to pay for the war, but also contracting US companies to do the rebuilding of the Oil Produciton INfrastructure. I have no problem with this... less tax out of my wallet = good thing.

spiveyrat
09-04-2003, 07:13 AM
slpybear the bullfan:
less tax out of my wallet = good thing.AMEN!!!

Gilmer Buckeye
09-04-2003, 11:12 AM
You did know that Iraq is only exporting around 600,000 barrels a day (it was 3 million a day before the latest war) due to repeated sabotage of the pipelines and other facilities? Kinda hard to pay for it that way unless they can guard that infrastructure better than they have so far.

No, it sounds to me as if Sec'y of State Powell, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, still has a lot of friends in the military's top brass who have told them if Bush doesn't turn this quagmire around soon, he's facing all but a military coup. It sounds as if the neocons and "Israel Firsters" who were previously telling Bush what to do are now being kicked out on their lily-white, chickenhawk arses.

Soon, there will be no way to recruit even the dumbest high school kids into the military. As it is, 40,000 frontline troops hold "green cards" and are on the ground in Iraq in order to accelerate the process of U.S. citizenship.

Thursday, September 4, 2003; Page A01

"On Tuesday, President Bush's first day back in the West Wing after a month at his ranch, Secretary of State Colin L. Powell walked into the Oval Office to present something close to a fait accompli.
In what was billed as a routine session, Powell told Bush that they had to go to the United Nations with a resolution seeking a U.N.-sanctioned military force in Iraq -- something the administration had resisted for nearly five months. Powell, whose department had long favored such an action, informed the commander in chief that the military brass supported the State Department's position despite resistance by the Pentagon's civilian leadership. Bush and his national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, ... quickly agreed, according to administration officials who described the episode.
... with the combined clout of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the State Department persuading a reluctant White House that the administration's Iraq occupation policy, devised by Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, simply was not working.
"Powell's a smart guy, and he knew that as soon as he had the brass behind him, that is very tough to ignore."

Rest of article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20085-2003Sep3.html

GoForIt
09-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Anybody who calls George Dubya the loser he is, I think it's awesome. Depp was insulting the administration, not the country numbskulls so quit trying to shift the focus to liberalism. Freedom of speech, baby! I love America and hate Bush!

crzyjournalist03
09-04-2003, 12:04 PM
eeww..this thread has turned into strictly politics...I'm not checking this again

Gilmer Buckeye
09-04-2003, 01:03 PM
This just in:

Sounds like Depp is now telling Chirac to rub the puppy's nose in the mess he made on the floor.
DRESDEN, Germany (Reuters) - France and Germany on Thursday rejected a U.S. proposal for a U.N. resolution seeking international help in Iraq, saying the proposals did not yield enough responsibility to Iraqis or to the United Nations.
As Washington seeks to draw other countries into postwar Iraq, the new Iraqi foreign minister said troops from neighboring Turkey, a key U.S. ally, would not be welcome.
In remarks that risk reinflaming the diplomatic wrangling that upset transatlantic relations before the war, French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder said the U.S. draft in its current form was not acceptable.
"We are very, very far removed from having a resolution in front of us which we can agree to," said Chirac, whose country has veto power in the U.N. Security Council.
"We are ready to examine the proposals but they seem quite far from what appears to us the primary objective, namely the transfer of political responsibility to an Iraqi government as soon as possible," Chirac said after talks with Schroeder.
Facing almost daily casualties in Iraq, Washington has drafted a new U.N. resolution aimed at getting more countries to contribute soldiers and cash to its occupation. But it insists on full U.S. military control and a dominant political role.
Schroeder said the proposals showed movement in the U.S. position but did not go far enough. He said that while France and Germany opposed the U.S.-led war in Iraq, they now wanted to help bring stability and democracy to the country.
"Such a perspective can only develop if the United Nations takes over responsibility for the political process and if an Iraqi administration is installed," Schroeder said.
The proposed U.N. resolution marked a policy reversal for President Bush who had resisted U.N. involvement after the Security Council's refusal to approve the war that toppled Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.
France, Russia, China, Germany and others opposed the war.

rest of article:

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=3388926

<small>[ September 04, 2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Gilmer Buckeye ]</small>

slpybear the bullfan
09-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Ahh... maybe I should have reserved my black helicopter comments for someone else!

Adios, thread has become trite and political...

GoForIt
09-04-2003, 05:45 PM
ANN RICHARDS FOR PREZ!

Bandera YaYa
09-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Hey, he already lives in France, so he has made his choice...and he can just stay there and make movies for France and see if he'll make the kind of money he did while in the USA. For me, I have never liked him as an actor, didn't go see his last movie because he had the lead role...He just never appealed to me...

crzyjournalist03
09-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Today, Britney Spears said she may be moving to London.

sinfan75
09-04-2003, 06:04 PM
Phil C:
he likened the USA to a dumb puppy with big teeth. He lives in France and good riddence and stay there with his live in companion. We are crazy to support his movies and make him rich but we forgave the Dixie Chicks and are still making them rich so we will probably keep going to his movies. Wake up America! People point out that they have the right to say how they feel but they failt to point out that we also have the right to choose whose movies and concerts we go to if we disagree with them. It goes both ways.Never heard of him but p!$$ on him any way.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-04-2003, 06:39 PM
We still have a problem. The Joint Chiefs of Staff and Sec'y Powell see that this occupation is not sustainable at current troop levels. They've apparently even convinced 'GodBush' of this. But no one's lining up to relieve us. The other countries may be "unpatriotic" by U.S. standards, but they're not stupid.

I ain't worried about the black helicopters anymore, if that comment was directed at me. They've all been sent overseas carrying the "one weekend a month, my arse" reservists with them for their year-long deployment in the 51st state.

Bandera YaYa
09-04-2003, 06:52 PM
I'll help Brittany pack!!

espn1
09-04-2003, 08:09 PM
GoForIt:
Anybody who calls George Dubya the loser he is, I think it's awesome. Depp was insulting the administration, not the country numbskulls so quit trying to shift the focus to liberalism. Freedom of speech, baby! I love America and hate Bush!GoForIt you are an Idiot. If anybody from Milano actually new where you lived they would be tracking your sorry _$$ down. Get a job and get off welfare, and while your at it get off the couch and mow the weeds down around your rusted out travel trailer. Don't be shocked, I'm not psychic. I’m just playing the odds, knowing that you’re a Liberal. Pretty accurate huh?

espn1
09-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Oh! By the way, if you happen to see Ann please ask her to send me some of that skin from around her neck. I need a new wallet. Holla!

PhiI C
09-04-2003, 10:30 PM
Britney will be back. They have rough tax laws in Great Britain. That is why Sean Connerly and Michael Caine moved to the USA. But don't hurry back Britney.

aamove
09-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Come on we are talking about Johnny, lack of Depp(th). Edward Scissorhands himself. Although he did a decent job in the role of Capt. Sparrow. But even that could not give him any clout politically. After all he is no.... Aahnold lol.

GoForIt
09-04-2003, 11:00 PM
Yea speaking of idiots Mr. ESPN alludes to = Ahnold! You talk about clinging to a famous family by marriage (Kennedys) to establish a laughable sense of credibility!

big daddy russ
09-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Goforit... I think that GW's made some questionable calls, but the thing I like about the guy is that he's gone with what he believes in rather than cater to other countries, much like Clinton did. I understand that the political arena is tough and that you have to play both sides of the fence on just about everything, but Bush, in my opinion, is doing a great job of backing up his word. That's something we haven't had in Washington for eight years before him. We said we were going to go after anyone who threatens the safety of the US (remember, this war isn't only about Israel... Iraq picked this fight over a decade ago... and only a few years before that we we saved their butts from Iran). Guess what, we kept our word and went after them, and sent a strong message to N. Korea in the process. A great president once said that the smartest thing he ever did as prez was surrounding himself with people smarter than him. (10 points for whoever guesses the prez I just quoted) Look at Bush's cabinet. I think he's assembled an awesome staff. But again, that's just my opinion and everyone's entitled to theirs. That's why this country is what it is.

<small>[ September 05, 2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>