PDA

View Full Version : Keep It Clean Please

sinton66
09-14-2004, 11:37 AM
We have had a rash of threads recently where posters are getting carried away with a lot of vulgarity. This is a situation that will not be tolerated on this site. We have set standards that have made this a premier family site and we can't allow all that nastiness. The moderators will edit your responses and give you ONE and only one warning. Subsequent offenses will result in the loss of your posting priviledges. There is NO excuse for this behavior.

Bulldog_12
09-14-2004, 12:21 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Good call sinton.

JasperDog94
09-14-2004, 01:42 PM
This is the time of year where roms become frequent. A few kids on teams that feel they should be number 1 come on here and start talking trash. It's bound to happen.:)

Bulldog_12
09-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Yeah, but it sure makes things interesting for those of us who dont play anymore. i love to watch all the name calling, and even participate once in a while. :D

Gp83
09-14-2004, 06:31 PM
I have no problem with this. Only problem I have is when you edit a post and consider that the warning. I don't know about ya'll, but I never go reread previous post's I have made. A warning should be done with a simple PM. Just my .02 cents:clap:

crabman
09-14-2004, 10:07 PM
As most of you know, the Cuero kids that are a pain are not football players.

Ranger Mom
09-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
I have no problem with this. Only problem I have is when you edit a post and consider that the warning. I don't know about ya'll, but I never go reread previous post's I have made. A warning should be done with a simple PM. Just my .02 cents:clap:

That's all fine and dandy IF they have that option turned on....I believe they can turn off both the PM AND e-mail function, which makes it hard for us as moderators to get a message to them.

I created a new thread when only one of the three I was wanting to "warn" actually had the PM option turned on.

The one who received the PM wrote back and apologized.

sinton66
09-15-2004, 08:36 AM
It is also not our responsibility to make sure you GET the warning. It is our responsibility to only issue it. In your case GP83, you got a second warning from me for that reason. Let's not start claiming "unfair" when I extended a break to you that most posters don't get. Technically, you should get one and only one warning. It is the individual poster's responsibility to control what they write, especially the language they CHOOSE to use.

Old Tiger
09-15-2004, 08:38 AM
git-r-done tony...:D

Gp83
09-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
It is also not our responsibility to make sure you GET the warning. It is our responsibility to only issue it. In your case GP83, you got a second warning from me for that reason. Let's not start claiming "unfair" when I extended a break to you that most posters don't get. Technically, you should get one and only one warning. It is the individual poster's responsibility to control what they write, especially the language they CHOOSE to use.

Sinton66, that's so idoitic that I'm going out of my way just to respond. Your reply only made us dumber. What qualifications are needed to be a "moderator" on these forums?

All I'm saying is step up and tell someone they have violated forum rules. Don't be a wimp and say I must go back 3 pages or about 50 post to see I upset you. Be a man and tell me. If ya'll don't want the word @$$ on this forum then let me know. If you choose to BAN me because of this post, that's cool. I have 5 yahoo email accounts. Just be a man Sinton66 is all I ask and tell the offender he is warned.

Just take this as constructive criticism and move on.

PPHSfan
09-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Your not the sharpest tool in the shed....are you?:p

Gp83
09-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

And what do you mean by that? Because I ask for proffessionalism I'm not considered sharp by you? Expand please. :thinking:

PPHSfan
09-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Ok, but first I get to show you how to spell professionalism.

I mean that while you may feel you have a valid argument. Trying to belittle a moderator in public forum as a newbie here does not show an overwhelming amount of common sense.

Gp83
09-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Ok, but first I get to show you how to spell professionalism.

I mean that while you may feel you have a valid argument. Trying to belittle a moderator in public forum as a newbie here does not show an overwhelming amount of common sense.

I thank you for your tudoring. :rolleyes:

If you look to my 1st post on this subject, you'll see I never, "belittled" anyone. I only offered a suggestion, or constructive criticism. It was Sinton66 who decided to make it personal. All I'm asking him to do is be,"professional" in the way he moderates. Now if that's not, "The sharpest tool" then I'm sorry to disappoint you. :kiss:

Ranger Mom
09-15-2004, 09:39 AM
I think "damn" and "hell" are the only allowed 4-letter cuss words on this board!

Gp83
09-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think "damn" and "hell" are the only allowed 4-letter cuss words on this board!

And that's fine. I said @$$ which is allowed on 20 other forums I belong to. If Sinton66 is offended by it, what I would have done was shoot him an PM or email saying;

Sup Gp83? Glad to see you on our forums. I have seen you on other forums many times but in this forum, we're very strict on language. Being I am a Moderator, I saw you use the word, "@$$". I had to edit that word because it's on the do not use list. Thanks for your understanding.

Now isn't that a better way to, "warn" someone than to assume that the offender went back 3 days, 50 posts or 4 pages and read a edit repremanding me on open forum. Call me crazzy. Call me "Not the sharpest tool". Hmmm :thinking:

Panther Ross
09-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Sinton66, that's so idoitic that I'm going out of my way just to respond. Your reply only made us dumber. What qualifications are needed to be a "moderator" on these forums?

All I'm saying is step up and tell someone they have violated forum rules. Don't be a wimp and say I must go back 3 pages or about 50 post to see I upset you. Be a man and tell me. If ya'll don't want the word @$$ on this forum then let me know. If you choose to BAN me because of this post, that's cool. I have 5 yahoo email accounts. Just be a man Sinton66 is all I ask and tell the offender he is warned.

Just take this as constructive criticism and move on.

Could not have said better than what he just did.

sinton66
09-15-2004, 12:45 PM
And that's fine. I said @$$ which is allowed on 20 other forums I belong to. If Sinton66 is offended by it, what I would have done was shoot him an PM or email saying;

Sup Gp83? Glad to see you on our forums. I have seen you on other forums many times but in this forum, we're very strict on language. Being I am a Moderator, I saw you use the word, "@$$". I had to edit that word because it's on the do not use list. Thanks for your understanding.

Now isn't that a better way to, "warn" someone than to assume that the offender went back 3 days, 50 posts or 4 pages and read a edit repremanding me on open forum. Call me crazzy. Call me "Not the sharpest tool". Hmmm :thinking:

Idiotic or not, you DID notice it after the SECOND warning, did you not? I said I gave you a second one for that very reason. Ordinarily I do send a pm with the warnings, however I have been pressed for time lately. You should know however, there are some things NO warnings are issued for. You DO know now, and you're the one bringing it back up. I suggest you get over it and move on.

Thanks for your advice GP83, I didn't take anything personally, and if you don't mind too much, I'll moderate as I see fit. If it doesn't meet your liking, you're welcome to visit any of the 20 other boards you use foul language on instead of this one.

44INAROW
09-15-2004, 01:46 PM

First of all, PPHSfan - where do I send my $.25? lol... Since you brought up spelling to GP, I think it's OK to mention you have a spelling error yourself :p

PPHSfan
09-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
First of all, PPHSfan - where do I send my $.25? lol... Since you brought up spelling to GP, I think it's OK to mention you have a spelling error yourself :p

You're vs your is not a spelling error. It is improper use of a pronoun.:D

Or better yet. I could have just made an error in grammar.

I could have said. YOUR tool is not the sharpest in the shed is it?

44INAROW
09-15-2004, 02:20 PM

:rolleyes:

I don't want to get so personal as to how sharp GP's tool is lol lol............. :nerd: How bout we just call it a draw?

PPHSfan
09-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

I don't want to get so personal as to how sharp GP's tool is lol lol............. :nerd: How bout we just call it a draw?

I will never ever wimp out on a draw. I will always fight to the death, even if...no make that especially if I am wrong.:D

Gp83
09-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Idiotic or not, you DID notice it after the SECOND warning, did you not? I said I gave you a second one for that very reason. Ordinarily I do send a pm with the warnings, however I have been pressed for time lately. You should know however, there are some things NO warnings are issued for. You DO know now, and you're the one bringing it back up. I suggest you get over it and move on.

Thanks for your advice GP83, I didn't take anything personally, and if you don't mind too much, I'll moderate as I see fit. If it doesn't meet your liking, you're welcome to visit any of the 20 other boards you use foul language on instead of this one.

Okay, I see you just don't get it. I didn't think it was to much to ask. But to you, it is. So I'll leave it at that.

rhino33
09-15-2004, 07:17 PM
okay, okay...all this stuff, is pretty immature if u ask me. Gp83 has a point, however, he is going about it in a bad after all these little shots being thrown back and forth between people. its funny for a lil while, but now its just plain annoying. i think u should simply say wat u were intending to say when u were making ur point and leave it at that, instead of calling someone a wimp or something because most of here are all old enough to at least have enough sense to know when to stop.

Panther Ross
09-15-2004, 07:40 PM

Hold on, hold on, since when did this become a grammar class?

Panther Ross
09-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Hold on man my bad I clicked on the wrong thing. I apologize.

Panther Ross
09-15-2004, 07:42 PM

Since when did this become grammar class.

Panther Ross
09-15-2004, 09:18 PM

Ranger Mom do not take this into offense at all, but I though this is a family website somebody just said, so why do you or all of the moderators take that? Just a thought when I came across this.

Ranger Mom
09-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Panther Ross
Ranger Mom do not take this into offense at all, but I though this is a family website somebody just said, so why do you or all of the moderators take that? Just a thought when I came across this.

Ya know....I really don't know!:p

I guess all I can say in answer to that is the previous moderator said if "damn" was allowed in his grandma's house, it was allowed here on the board.

I am not a cusser but those two words don't bother me!

I didn't make the rules, but will enforce them to the best of my ability. If I am not doing a good job at it, then I will step down and let someone else take over!

Gobbla2001
09-15-2004, 09:40 PM
http://www.mts.net/~lstephen/lstephen2/hugger.gif

Dang, I didn't know that 'damn' and 'hell' were allowed on here... When in the heck did you guys plan on informing me of this?

Ranger Mom
09-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
http://www.mts.net/~lstephen/lstephen2/hugger.gif

Dang, I didn't know that 'damn' and 'hell' were allowed on here... When in the heck did you guys plan on informing me of this?

AND....it depends on what context it is used in!!!!!

Gobbla2001
09-15-2004, 09:45 PM
AND....it depends on what context it is used in!!!!!

Okayyyy I edited it:D

Keith7
09-15-2004, 09:46 PM
What did the fish say when he ran into a wall???

Ranger Mom
09-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Okayyyy I edited it:D

Hmmm....now I guess I had better go back and edit where I quoted you...cause the original post is still there!!

Gobbla2001
09-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Oh, dang, I'm making everything so complicated, sorry :(

PPHSfan
09-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
What did the fish say when he ran into a wall???
Dam?

Keith7
09-15-2004, 09:49 PM
Dam?

dang u are too smart

SintonFan
09-16-2004, 02:04 AM
I hope those G-P players keep on rolling.:)
Quoted by Gp83:

I don't know about ya'll, but I never go reread previous post's I have made.
I guess you never learn, cuz your point is....?

Gp83
09-16-2004, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I hope those G-P players keep on rolling.:)
Quoted by Gp83:

I guess you never learn, cuz your point is....? .

Sintonfan, please tell us you're just kidding. I know you're not that stupid. So just laugh and tell us you're kidding.:clap:

HoHoHo
09-16-2004, 08:59 AM

fmsc64
09-16-2004, 10:56 AM
:rolleyes: Who is setting an example here - adults are youth? Im confused after reading this?:thinking:

Ranger Mom
09-16-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by fmsc64
:rolleyes: Who is setting an example here - adults are youth? Im confused after reading this?:thinking:

So am I....."adults are youth"??

sinton66
09-16-2004, 12:20 PM
We have had a rash of threads recently where posters are getting carried away with a lot of vulgarity. This is a situation that will not be tolerated on this site. We have set standards that have made this a premier family site and we can't allow all that nastiness. The moderators will edit your responses and give you ONE and only one warning. Subsequent offenses will result in the loss of your posting priviledges. There is NO excuse for this behavior.

For the benefit of those of you who didn't BOTHER to read the original intent of this thread.

JasperDog94
09-16-2004, 01:04 PM
So what are you trying to say 66?:confused: :confused: :o :doh: :wave: :wave:

Bandera YaYa
09-17-2004, 08:59 PM
..heh, heh, heh...... :D

Buckeye80
09-19-2004, 08:58 AM

Now THAT is funny!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Chief Woodman
09-19-2004, 10:42 AM

May I humbly submit a different viewpoint on this use of these words.

I must say that I somewhat disagree with this logic, but it is just my opinion. Folks say that because Granny uses it or that the words are in the Bible that makes them OK. But before you take that stance please consider how they are used.

The "H" word is a noun describing a real, physical place. When used in proper context it is not a curse word. It is no different than saying that a person can go to heaven- both are real places. Yes Jesus himself used the word- but in proper context (Matthew 5:29-30; 10:28; 23:15) When used in frustration or in anger, it does become "Foul" language. It is still cursing which is defined a violent expression of evil upon others. We should not presume that this idle use of the word goes unoticed. (Matthew 12:36) The judgement listed here includes Christians (II COR 5:10 and I COR 3:11-15)

The "D" word is not a noun but a verb. It signifies action. Dr. Dan Crawford, Chairman of prayer studies says that ( Paraphrased)
"The only being who should ever use this word is the One who can cause the action to occur. If any human uses this word in anger or frustration you are putting yourself in the place of God and claiming His power which is not a smart thing to do. The only other way this can be viewed is that when you say it you are praying to God that he will take this action against whomever or whatever your are cursing. That is also not a smart thing to do because we are asking Him to do something that we know is not His will. In fact He wants to avoid doing this so bad that He sacrificed His only Son so that this does not have to happen. So the next time you use this word in anger and out of context ask yourself: am I making myself equal to God, or am I asking Him to forget the sacrifice of his Son? How will account for this when I stand before him to have my works judged? These should be answered because you will give an account for idle words spoken."

Now from me- saying that "Granny" allowed it makes it ok is illogical. It just says that Granny was wrong. I know people who's Granny's used drugs and were prostitutes- does this mean that these activities are therefore OK? I hope you see my point- AND NO- I am not saying that whoevers Granny this was is a drug using prostitute.

Submitted for your consideration,

Chief Woodman

Ranger Mom
09-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Since that was directed to the post I posted, I feel I must respond.

I have never seen a "list" of words that can or cannot be used. I was just going by what Jacket2000 said a couple of years ago and it was said "tongue in cheek"!

I don't know where the line is to be drawn...no one has ever told me. I picked those 2 words because they don't make me cringe when I read them.

If the second word you spoke of had God in front of it, I would be terribly offended....so by reading what you wrote, maybe I should be anyway!:thinking:

Gobbla2001
09-19-2004, 03:45 PM
I was just going by what Jacket2000 said a couple of years ago

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2004, 10:00 PM
LOL.... It DOES take all kinds...

Folks, If I may, please just remember this...

If you can't say it in front of your teacher or preacher... it probably won't fly here either.

We were directed to keep it clean. We will do our "darndest"! LOL ;)

(sorry, just had to throw that last part in...)

seriously, no one ever said this was a family board... we just need to keep it clean. Like Sinton66 said very well in his original post. AND IT IS A STICKY. SO EVERYONE READS IT.

Hupernikomen
09-23-2004, 09:05 AM
Well since I am both a preacher and a teacher I guess I should let everyone know what is offensive...

Actually, I agree with what Chief Woodsman said. The problem is that just like everything else, it seems we have lost our sense of reverence for things that are holy. People are not sensitive to words like "hell" and "damn" like they used to be, so the idiom has changed for those particular words. As others have clearly shown on this board, somebody can easily find objection with just about anything that is said or any picture that is posted. In the end it has to be left up to the powers that be (on this board) to determine what is acceptable and what is not. Hopefully, in that determination they will not stray to far from the traditional norms and values that I hold dear. I am confident, and appreciate the fact that they won't. Most people who post here are respectful of the owners wishes to keep it clean and those who aren't are either quickly chased from our ranks or put in their place. So thanks for a continued effort to provide a good, clean board.

sinton66
09-23-2004, 12:50 PM
We appreciate your thanks, and you have my word that all four of us will endeavor to keep the high standards that Downlowers have always enjoyed.

I think part of the problem lies in the fact that this is basically a football forum. People are used to other forums where they are allowed to use any language they want. They come on here expecting to be able to do the same.

It is our higher standards that sets us apart from all the smack boards, and creates a much more pleasurable experience here than any other board I've ever been on.

It will help the four of us tremendously if all our members will use the "report this post" function when you feel a poster has crossed the line.

3ahunter2k4
09-25-2004, 02:36 PM
not to be rude, but how AWESOME AND SERIOUS is sinton66 getting

sinton66
09-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Don 't you agree that a moderator should take their duties seriously? What kind of board would we have if we didn't?

LH Panther Mom
09-27-2004, 11:23 AM
I think that all the moderators do a fantastic job and are more than fair. After speaking with a moderator from our sister site, I can say it is not a responsibility I would want.

For anyone who wants to complain, find out what is involved first. Keep up the good work Matthew, Sinton66, Ranger Mom, and SlpyBear.

Ranger Mom
09-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I think that all the moderators do a fantastic job and are more than fair. After speaking with a moderator from our sister site, I can say it is not a responsibility I would want.

For anyone who wants to complain, find out what is involved first. Keep up the good work Matthew, Sinton66, Ranger Mom, and SlpyBear.

I do it out of my great affection for the people on here. I have to admit, the board was a lot "funner" when I wasn't moderating. I have to watch and weigh everything I say, where before, I didn't have to.

I thought about all this before I told the admin YES, I would moderate. So far...it's been worth it!:p :p

LH Panther Mom
09-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

AND, a big kudos for Administrator, as well. (For all of you past mod's, you also get a big thanks from this mom.)

Bandera YaYa
09-29-2004, 03:18 PM
I do it out of my great affection for the people on here. I have to admit, the board was a lot "funner" when I wasn't moderating. I have to watch and weigh everything I say, where before, I didn't have to.

I thought about all this before I told the admin YES, I would moderate. So far...it's been worth it!:p :p Darn....does that mean no more of your hilarious stories about car trips to games??? Don't know if you could top the one from 2002... :eek: :eek: :eek: hehehe

Ranger Mom
09-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Darn....does that mean no more of your hilarious stories about car trips to games??? Don't know if you could top the one from 2002... :eek: :eek: :eek: hehehe

I didn't have a single curse word in that story....so I guess it was OKAY!:D