PDA

View Full Version : Reggie McNeal. Who likes him? Who doesn't?

big daddy russ
09-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Is he the answer at QB?

IHStangFan
09-14-2004, 10:49 AM
we all know how i feel about Reggie. You have Reggie A, and Reggie B. A defeats OU 2 yrs ago basically by himself, B gets smoked by Utah in their season opener. Reggie is a great athelete, and when he comes to play...LOOK OUT!!! but he is very inconsistant.

footballfan93
09-14-2004, 11:05 AM
i dont like him............but then again.........i don't like A&M either.

HOOKEM HORNS

Bulldog_12
09-14-2004, 12:11 PM
He COULD be the answer at QB. like StangFan said, hes very inconsistent. I would personally love to see him at runningback with McGee at QB. I think that would work well. I think he would make a great running back.

Bellville22
09-14-2004, 12:16 PM
I like him alot. Great arm, great speed, great athlete. He was hurt pretty much all of last year. Other than the non-throwing hand, he's healthy now. The key, as with all QBs, is will his line give him time. If he has time, he's very good.

More of an upside QB-wise than Vince Young. Vince is probably a better runner, and is surrounded by better players, but strictly as a QB, I'd take Reggie anyday.

coiled2strike
09-14-2004, 12:18 PM
i like reggie...he is a great athlete...however, i don't think he is the qb for this system...i don't think he could hold up, physically, at the rb position...i would like to see him move to wr opposite of murphy...with their combined talent, this would cause the defense to adjust coverages and have to have safety help over the top of one, if not both of them...this would open up the running game trememdously, also and give lewis a chance to gain some serious yards...but that's just my opinion...i could be wrong
gig 'em ags and btho clemson

westTXbest
09-14-2004, 12:23 PM
He is the best A&m gots, they need to stick with him. But Vince young is better.

coiled2strike
09-14-2004, 12:26 PM
you are right...he is the best we have this year...if we bail on him, i think he will lose confidence and that wouldn't be fair to him either...i would have liked r.c. to redshirt him way back, but too late for that now...maybe we will see some growth from reggie this year...

crabman
09-14-2004, 12:30 PM
The problem with Reggie is he doesn't have IT. Bucky Richardson had IT. Kevin Murray had IT. Reggie has talent but doesn't have IT. That ability to will yourself to win. To transcend the game and do things that are far in excess of your physical skills.

Ryan Leaf had physical skills. Peyton Manning has IT.

JasperDog94
09-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
More of an upside QB-wise than Vince Young. Vince is probably a better runner, and is surrounded by better players, but strictly as a QB, I'd take Reggie anyday. :crazy: :crazy: :evillaugh :evillaugh

Bellville22
09-14-2004, 03:04 PM
JasperDog, what do those faces mean? Are you agreeing with me or not?

JasperDog94
09-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Not exactly. The first two are "crazy" and the next two are "evil laugh". I can't help but laugh when I hear somebody say that Reggie has more upside than Vince Young.

IHStangFan
09-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Not exactly. The first two are "crazy" and the next two are "evil laugh". I can't help but laugh when I hear somebody say that Reggie has more upside than Vince Young. Reggie is more inconsistant that Vince...yes...but Reggie HAS beaten OU. :p

AggieJohn
09-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
He COULD be the answer at QB. like StangFan said, hes very inconsistent. I would personally love to see him at runningback with McGee at QB. I think that would work well. I think he would make a great running back.

I agree, move him away, make him learn in these early games the routes of a reciever and running back, can you imagine him getting a short dump pass in the flats and burning a CB.....further more, if fran still has mcgee's redshirt, let him keep it as long,,, bring in ty brannon

LogieJoeBean001
09-15-2004, 04:42 AM
I'm for Reggie all the way. He comes from my old Alma Mater, Lufkin. He led the team to the 2001 5a State championship. For sentimental reasons, I go with Reggie. I hope he can get it together and make a real good showing with A&M. It's not that I'm a big Aggie fan, just still support anyone from home and hope that they can make it big! Go Lufkin Panthers this year, who, because of realignment, are in a totally new district playing against teams in district that they have never had to play against. They were moved from a district that they had been in since time began (East Texas teams) to a district with north Houston teams...The Woodlands, Humble, Baytown and such. The old rivalries are gone...Longview and Tyler...but I'm sure new ones will come along. Go Reggie and make us hometown folk proud!

Bellville22
09-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Not exactly. The first two are "crazy" and the next two are "evil laugh". I can't help but laugh when I hear somebody say that Reggie has more upside than Vince Young.

Laugh all you want, but I'll stand by it. Reggie has much better mechanics, better arm strength, better accuracy, is smarter, beat Vince in HS (I think), and yes...even beat OU. (OK, those last two aren't really good arguments, but the rest are.) Vince is a better runner with the ball, but Reggie is certainly well above average in that dept. Surround Reggie with the athletes/players Vince is surrounded by, and I think you have a better team than the one Young is running.

KL3
09-20-2004, 12:53 PM
JasperDog, lets hear your reasons for picking Vince.

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm so glad you asked.

Let's look at the results so far in 2004.

Texas has played 2 games while A&M has played three.

Vince Young - 25 of 43 passes completed for 303 yards. 12.1 avg. 58.1% completion. 3 tds 0 int.

Reggie McNeal - 45 of 85 passes completed for 686 yards. 15.2 avg. 52.9% completion. 1 td 0 int.

Reggie throws more due to the lack of a running game. (compared to Texas) Lower percentage of completions for Reggie but a higher average per completion. 1 td compared to 3 tds for Vince. Overall, I'd give the slight edge to Vince.

Let's look at last year's stats. Note that Young didn't start until later in the year thus had less playing time.

Vince Young - 78 of 129 passes completed for 1140 yards. 8.84 avg. 60.5% competion. 6 td 7 int.

Reggie McNeal - 113 of 221 passes completed for 1782 yards. 8.06 avg. 51.1% completion. 8 td 7 int.

Vince completed almost 10% more of his passes, most of them coming from big 12 competition, not the easier preseason competition. His avg. per completion is also higher. Only 2 fewer tds for Vince in several fewer games.

2003 passer ratings:

Vince - 139.2
Reggie - 124.5

I'll take Vince anyday!

big daddy russ
09-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Hey JD,
Richard Jefferson (New Jersey Nets):

Senior Year @ Arizona (4th year in college)
11.3 ppg, 47.9% FG
Last year with NJ (3rd year in the pros)
18.5 ppg, 49.8% FG

How do statistics correlate with talent?
A: They don't
Do individual statistics represent the talent that a player has around him?
A: Only if you have information on the other players, too.

Jefferson played on a team that started Loren Woods, Gilbert Arenas and Jason Gardner and included Eugene Edgerson, Michael Wright and Luke Walton. Five players from that team made it to the NBA. Woods, Arenas and Gardner were the stars of the team. Jefferson was a role player/defensive stopper.

KTJ
09-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Reggie is more inconsistant that Vince...yes...but Reggie HAS beaten OU

But he hasn't beaten Texas.

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
How do statistics correlate with talent?
A: They don't Then you might as well throw out any arguement about comparing two different players. They're never going to have the same talent around them causing the arguement to be arbitrary.

When announcers talk about stats during the games, how many times have you heard them say..."but he was in a weak division" or "he didn't have any talent around him"?

A: They don't.

People don't care about excuses. They want results. They want winners, not whiners. Vince has proven that he is a good qb. Reggie's biggest problem is that he's inconsistant. That's one of the main reasons I would take Vince.

And I still stick by my stats in the previous post. Vince has better numbers than Reggie. I'll take better numbers and consistancy over lesser numbers and someone that's streaky.

JasperDog94
09-20-2004, 02:43 PM
nm

big daddy russ
09-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Quick, Drew Bledsoe or Johnny Unitas?

Bellville22
09-20-2004, 03:45 PM
I'm so glad you asked.

Let's look at the results so far in 2004.

Texas has played 2 games while A&M has played three.

Vince Young - 25 of 43 passes completed for 303 yards. 12.1 avg. 58.1% completion. 3 tds 0 int.

Reggie McNeal - 45 of 85 passes completed for 686 yards. 15.2 avg. 52.9% completion. 1 td 0 int.

Reggie throws more due to the lack of a running game. (compared to Texas) Lower percentage of completions for Reggie but a higher average per completion. 1 td compared to 3 tds for Vince. Overall, I'd give the slight edge to Vince.

Let's look at last year's stats. Note that Young didn't start until later in the year thus had less playing time.

Vince Young - 78 of 129 passes completed for 1140 yards. 8.84 avg. 60.5% competion. 6 td 7 int.

Reggie McNeal - 113 of 221 passes completed for 1782 yards. 8.06 avg. 51.1% completion. 8 td 7 int.

Vince completed almost 10% more of his passes, most of them coming from big 12 competition, not the easier preseason competition. His avg. per completion is also higher. Only 2 fewer tds for Vince in several fewer games.

2003 passer ratings:

Vince - 139.2
Reggie - 124.5

I'll take Vince anyday!

These stats are very similar. And when you consider the athletes Vince is/was surrounded by, it certainly helps him. Also note that Reggie had a partially torn rotator cuff the last 8 games of last year.

I'll take Reggie anyday!

KL3
09-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Jasperdog, I see you have not mentioned who each team has played. Vince has played a pitiful North Texas team, an Arkansas team who returned just 3 starters from last year, and now Rice. Wow, he definately is playing some stiff competition.

Reggie, on the other hand, has played against #14 Utah where he had 300 yds of total offense, #25 ranked Clemson, where he totaled 307 yds, and I'll admit a below average Wyoming team, where he had 342 yds.

"Reggie throws more due to the lack of a running game"
- You mean the one that averages 216 yds/game, good enough for #25 in the nation?

Notice also that Vince had the same number of interceptions in 92 LESS ATTEMPTS. I would also have thought that Vince's completion rate would have been higher since 75% of his passes are thrown to RB's, TE's and WR's running out routes and dumpoffs.

edibleeggs
09-20-2004, 07:26 PM
OMG got jasper dog are you insane...A&M w/ a lack of running game. Do you not have tbs or something..have u not seen Courtney Lewis run the ball. If had the line of t.u. he would be running all over the place and prolly be in the running for the heisman and if you ask anybody that is not bias they will all say that now that it looks like an o-line is coming around at A&M, he is showing what he is really made of. I will say no more...b/c some of what i have said has already been said by some smart people..being... KL3 and bellville22.

DawgFan91
09-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by edibleeggs
OMG got jasper dog are you insane...A&M w/ a lack of running game. Do you not have tbs or something..have u not seen Courtney Lewis run the ball. If had the line of t.u. he would be running all over the place and prolly be in the running for the heisman and if you ask anybody that is not bias they will all say that now that it looks like an o-line is coming around at A&M, he is showing what he is really made of. I will say no more...b/c some of what i have said has already been said by some smart people..being... KL3 and bellville22.

I guess if you rush the ball well one game, that makes you a great rushing team. So what if they are #25 in the nation in rushing. Reggie is averaging 80+ of that himself. C. Lewis has one good game and I don't know how much TBS you are watching, (talking "if had the line of t.u.") but Clemson's pitiful defense didn't even challenge A&M's line. Clemson got lit up by a sorry Wake Forest team for over 250 on the ground. Clemson isn't top 25.

You guys can compare schedules right now and I will be the first to say that UT will most likely get handled by OU (not like A&M almost giving up 100) but Arkansas is and will prove to be a very good team. They would whip Clemson themselves. Texas may not have played a team in Utah's category but they haven't gotten spanked by 20 either (and it was so much worse than that score too). 40%...that is what I remember about the passing attack against Utah. It's not like receivers weren't open.

I like Reggie a lot. Lufkin is the 5A school I have always followed. I'm not hear to criticize him, but you guys are dissing JasperDog with some ridiculous comparisons.

Bulldog_12
09-20-2004, 08:21 PM
I do see JasperDog's point. Until this past weekend, we haven't seen much of a running game. Now that Courtney Lewis is RUNNING, not tip toeing, the ball, the aggs surely have opened up new possibilities. I agree with Jasper Dog last week. This week, I have to say Ill take Reggie. Thanks and Gig'em!

big daddy russ
09-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by DawgFan91
I guess if you rush the ball well one game, that makes you a great rushing team. So what if they are #25 in the nation in rushing. Reggie is averaging 80+ of that himself. C. Lewis has one good game and I don't know how much TBS you are watching, (talking "if had the line of t.u.")

You guys can compare schedules right now and I will be the first to say that UT will most likely get handled by OU (not like A&M almost giving up 100) but Arkansas is and will prove to be a very good team. They would whip Clemson themselves. Texas may not have played a team in Utah's category but they haven't gotten spanked by 20 either (and it was so much worse than that score too). 40%...that is what I remember about the passing attack against Utah. It's not like receivers weren't open.

Courtney Lewis, Texas A&M University 2003/Fr.
G Att Gain Loss Yds Avg. Long TD
12 186 1,070 46 1,024 5.51 81 12

All-Big 12 candidate
2003 team leader in rushing yards and touchdowns
2003 All-Big 12 selection (second-team)
2003 Freshman All-American
Became A&M’s first 1,000-yard season rusher since Danté Hall in 1998
Big 12’s top freshman rusher in 2003
Set an A&M freshman record with an 86-yard run against Baylor
Matched Greg Hill’s freshman record with 12 rushing touchdowns
Had career-high 171 rushing yards against Oklahoma State in 2003
Posted five 100-yard games in 2003

P.S. Utah isn't that good. Arkansas is better IMO.

Bulldog_12
09-20-2004, 08:33 PM
You have to remember that this is a young team. most of which haven't played a down at a college level. Opening up against a team ranked in the Top 25 was a shocker to most of their systems. You couldn't expect them to go out and have a super performance. If you notice, things got considerably better in the second half. They are improving game by game. I also remember a certain Jasper team last year that got spanked in the opener, improved in the second half, then went all the way to the semi-finals and just barely lost. No one will really know just how good this team is until later in the season. Thanks and Gig'em!

DawgFan91
09-20-2004, 08:33 PM
big daddy, I didn't mean Lewis has only had one good game in his career. I meant this year. Heck, he was good enough last year that D. Farmer is running for the Lumberjacks of SFA this year...and glad to have him thank you.

I was just helping out Jasper Dog.

I think it is kind of like the movie "Trading Places". A person, in this case a QB, is a product of environment. When they came out of HS together a few years ago, they were both ranked Top 3 in the country at QB along with Olsen of BYU. They are still pretty equally talented and do the best they can do with the talent around them.

DawgFan91
09-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Laugh all you want, but I'll stand by it. Reggie has much better mechanics, better arm strength, better accuracy, is smarter, beat Vince in HS (I think), and yes...even beat OU.

They didn't play in HS. North Shore got upset in either the semi-finals or Qfinals after going undefeated up to that point. Lufkin had one loss and I think it was in a rainstorm to either Evangel or W. Monroe, La.

Lufkin escaped several teams in the playoffs that year, thanks to Reggie. Overcame deficits to Allen, Plano (or Plano East), and a 21-0 to Euless Trinity. They were some awesome games.

I may be a little off on my numbers, but Reggie had 7 ints his sr year and I think it was in something like 25-30 plays on defense. He is so smart and so instinctive.