PDA

View Full Version : What's the Scoop on Brazosport?

LogieJoeBean001
09-14-2004, 06:03 AM
Anybody played Brazosport this year and what's the scoop on them?

big daddy russ
09-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Can't tell you much about this year. Usually, though, they're a Wharton-like team. Teams in that area have more talent year-in, year-out than just about anywhere in the state. They usually field a fast, talented team that just doesn't put it together but is still dangerous simply because of individual, untamed talent. That middle gulf coast area (Bay City, Wharton, Freeport, and on up to the Texas City/La Marque area) is probably the most talent-laden area in the state. That's exactly why Bay City is always in the state title hunt (they're the most disciplined team in the area) and why you always hear about Wharton's speed, Wharton's talent, yada yada yada. Every year.

FbCoachB40
09-14-2004, 02:49 PM
I agree for the most part. However, this Wharton team is different. Not near as talented as the past, but a team no doubt. They have yet to see fingers pointing at one another. The most talented DL didn't play in the Cuero game, due to a three week suspension. This team is disciplined. If you don't think so, then you haven't seen them play this year. Your diagnosis for Brazosport is right on. Extremely talented and fast. Not much of a team.

necks3
09-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Columbia beat them 20-18

Gobbla2001
09-14-2004, 06:41 PM
If Wharton doesn't get out of the regular season with an average of 50 points a game there's something wrong...

Good luck this week...

Necked
09-14-2004, 08:56 PM
They have some speed & plenty of size in the line...
They started off quick against Columbia 12-0, but Columbia figured out what they were doing and shut them down in the 2nd Qtr....
They run a conventional offense & try to bust Laborris White free, and like to bootleg their QB, who is actually pretty good at it...
I'd say their Defense is alittle above average, good speed, but nothing exceptional....
Just keep the mistakes to a minimum and ya'll should win...
Oh, and they have a really cool stadium now, with that new fake grass and all...

g$$
09-15-2004, 04:25 AM
Saw them last week. Good skill kids but line play was average. Big kids though. Missing qb & center due to suspensions, so 2nd team qb started & rolled an ankle. Moved 6'5" receiver to qb. They rotate 4 TBs & all have speed. All that being said, they are undisciplined (10 penalties) & commit lots of turnovers. Should have rolled a struggling, injury depleted Sweeny team but played poorly enough to just win 22-14. Their OC is top shelf when he has the kids. That area does produce loads of talent & many play on Sundays. But don't expect B'Port to make any noise in that tough district with Bay City & El Campo. Bay City has 5 D-1 kids if they get their grades. Wharton should beat B'Port & start putting it together. Sweeny will be better if they get their QB back later in the year, & they have one of the top junior LBs in the State named Wendel Davis. See what happens....

scrub c
09-15-2004, 07:51 AM
Brazosport is one of those teams who seems to play to the level their opponents. Played Columbia and Sweeny and is now 1-1. When Wharton comes calling, Fleeport will be ready. Question is can they stop the Jones kid from wharton.....Cuero couldn't....
My take is.... if fleeport spreads it out, look out because that starting QB can go. And if he gets going, so will the other cats on that team.

pancho villa
09-15-2004, 07:59 AM
The ships are going to be tough, watch out Wharton.

g$$
09-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Depends on which Brazosport qb is able to play. The #1 qb is out, #2 got hurt, & now it is #3. But they have some skill kids as I said. Not much else & play in a tough 4A district. Actually Wharton has a similar team & both teams tend to be undisciplined. I bet it is a high scoring, entertaining game & Wharton wins it. Have a good one.