PDA

View Full Version : What do you got to do?

hutex04
09-13-2004, 11:52 PM
To become a coach? What kind of courses do you have to take in college? I decided on my future and i need to set forth with it. Anyone that can give me info on what i should do next is muct appreciated :)

Hupernikomen
09-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Coaches have to take education courses like other future teachers. You need a major field of study to be able to teach in your school. Most coaches seem to go kinesology or history route, but certainly their are coaches in all the other fields as well.

hutex04
09-14-2004, 12:07 AM
so u take courses to become a teacher, do you have to take some course that has to do with P.E or health also?

Ray_BearKat
09-14-2004, 12:24 AM
I'd say major in Kinesiology and minor in some school discipline like History, Biology, or something. A lot of my friends took this route. Also take classes for teacher certification.

Keith7
09-14-2004, 12:28 AM
I am majoring in kinesology.. and then going to get teacher certified

hutex04
09-14-2004, 01:09 AM
u wanna be a coach keith? is that hard to major in? the kinesology that is?

Keith7
09-14-2004, 01:40 AM
yea i want to someday be a baseball coach..

but i like the classes i get to take with this major, they are really interesting.. i have a friend majoring in business and was jealous of my schedule this semester.. but i dont know.. different colleges could have different requirments for Kinesiology

GoDeep
09-14-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by hutex04
To become a coach? What kind of courses do you have to take in college? I decided on my future and i need to set forth with it. Anyone that can give me info on what i should do next is muct appreciated :)

You take the exact same courses to be a teacher. You dont have to take any extra PE and you dont have to major in kinesology . I wouldnt even recomend that b/c it's pretty hard. You just take your basics, your education courses, courses in the subject you'll teach, pass the two state exams, then do your student teaching. I also recomend finding a local HS and volunteering to do some "gopher" work or ask to go on some scouting trips. You'll learn alot and you'll make some contacts. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.
Good luck.

raider red 2000
09-14-2004, 07:30 AM
i agree with trying to volunteer at a local school while you are in college. you will learn so much. you will learn how to deal with kids....how many hours coaches actually work....how to try to get organized....so many little things that are not sport related.

it will be important for you to find a marketable teaching field. many coaches are social studies...there will be jobbs in this field. if you are capable and would like to make some more money and have more choices at jobs, look into spanish, special ed, math, and science. DO NOT have pe as your only teaching field. new coaches dont get pe jobs. those take years to find, unless you want to be a in a junior high.

good luck

handNthedirt
09-14-2004, 09:23 AM
I would say for you to major in KNES, and like they've already told you, most coaches get thier minor in History. Stereotypically, coaches are known to be social studies or p.e. teachers. I'd tell you to minor in something like science or math, which in the long run, will definately make finding a job much easier due to the lack of coaches teaching those fields.

handNthedirt
09-14-2004, 09:28 AM
...apply for a student assistant position on your university's baseball team, if that's the sport in which you wish to coach. You do know that h.s. coaches are required to coach two sports, unless your the head chief....something else for you to think about.

hutex04
09-14-2004, 01:47 PM
So pretty much, I set my goals to become a teacher. History is my favorite and strongest subject. You can volunteer to help with a highschool team? Should I take coaching clinics also? Sorry if i seem a little nieve, im just starting out and want to make sure I get all this down.
Thanks for the post so far, it has really helped, because before that I had no idea what you had to major in. I figured you would have to take courses to become a teacher because most coaches are teachers. :)

Bulldog_12
09-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Another good thing to put on your resume is a coach that majored in science. That would help. It seems like schools are always looking for good science teachers and such.

Bulldog_12
09-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Oh and it also sets you apart from the stereotypical History and P.E. coaches. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but it is a few degrees of seperation and makes you different than others.

kaorder1999
09-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Another good thing to put on your resume is a coach that majored in science. That would help. It seems like schools are always looking for good science teachers and such.

just get certified in something....once you are certified in something you can test for any other certification that you want to. But in order to do that you first have to be certified in something. In most cases the schools dont care what you have a degree in...they just care what you are certified in.

handNthedirt
09-14-2004, 01:53 PM
just talk with an advisor at your university...they'll get you on the right track. before you do that though, make sure the university of your choice offers a teachers certification program. I am going the emergency cert. route and it stinks. Knock it all out while you are in school, don't wait until you're teaching at school.

Bulldog_12
09-14-2004, 01:55 PM
I know all that Kaorder, I was just saying that it is different that what people are used to seeing. I figure it would stick out more.

coiled2strike
09-14-2004, 02:01 PM
handnthedirt...nice signature

to the kid who wants to be a coach...you can scout with me if you want...
i double majored...kine and special education...while history and p.e. are popular, that is also where many, many, many coaches currently hold positions...so, to make yourself more maketable, i would look to other fields, too...
good luck and feel free to contact me if you need help...

hutex04
09-14-2004, 02:45 PM
thanks for all the help, I take in everything yall have said. Special Ed is something i think i could do, I like to help people and make a differnece, so that is kewl. Maybe take history and speical ed.

GoDeep
09-14-2004, 03:05 PM
If you're gonna go for history, might as well get composite social studies. That's what mine is in. It gives you history, government, geography, and economics. History by itself kinda limits you. After you get out, it's a good idea to get PE and health. Alot of coaching jobs have those attached to it. But, they're both pretty easy tests, so I wouldnt worry about it untill you get your degree.

hutex04
09-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Thank, so its called "composite social studies" that sounds better if it helps my chances. Thanks

LH Panther Mom
09-15-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
handnthedirt...nice signature

to the kid who wants to be a coach...you can scout with me if you want...
i double majored...kine and special education...while history and p.e. are popular, that is also where many, many, many coaches currently hold positions...so, to make yourself more maketable, i would look to other fields, too...
good luck and feel free to contact me if you need help...

Do you have your special ed certification? If so, I might know where you could get a job next year, if you happen to be looking.

LH Panther Mom
09-15-2004, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by hutex04
thanks for all the help, I take in everything yall have said. Special Ed is something i think i could do, I like to help people and make a differnece, so that is kewl. Maybe take history and speical ed.

Congrats on your choice of professions! It can be rewarding, but at times can also be very frustrating.

Special ed will require additional certification, but can also be very marketable when looking for a position, as the number of teachers with the certification is not that high.

TheDOCTORdre
09-15-2004, 09:05 AM
I just started this fall at UT for my Kines degree and at 1st I was like Hutex and didnt know what to do but if u go and ask an advisor for help then that should put u on the right track

hutex04
09-16-2004, 12:33 AM
Thanks, LHMOM. I wanna be able to impact a kids life. I like to be able to help others. Special Ed would be good, since it is in need and I have a better chance of getting a job. Good luck to your team, but I'll route for Manor (since they are in Hutto's district) lol.
And any thing I have said in the past, it was out of frustration since we are (0-5) vs Liberty Hill now lol.

Thanks Doc too, that helps. To have an advisor, that is what i'am affraid of, the getting started part. But, if i get pointed in the right direction then it will all be good.

LH Panther Mom
09-16-2004, 05:33 AM
Hey, it's no problem - I honestly take very few things personally on this board. I admit I got a little riled up the other day, but no rudeness was intended on my part. Just my way of livening up the board - we can't leave it all to PPHSfan & PhilC. :D