PDA

View Full Version : Decatur - how much proof do you want?

Titans
09-13-2004, 08:47 AM
I've been saying for some time that Decatur should be #1, yet the biasness of the South is pulling y'all away.

There are good teams out there, but once Decatur beats up on Gainesville, Graham, Abilene Wylie, and they already destroyed Kennedale, they will be #1.

At that point, will we say they finally have proved it?

My heart is with Liberty Hill and Manor, being an Austin local, but Decatur looks like the real deal.

kaorder1999
09-13-2004, 08:52 AM
that qb must be a stud. Id like to see him play.

Chief Woodman
09-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
that qb must be a stud. Id like to see him play.

Been telling you guys that for two years. The only folks that seemed to believe me were folks who saw him play. Everybody kept saying that he hasn't pllayed anybody. Well I guess he still hasn't.

Ranger Mom
09-13-2004, 09:47 AM
They got my attention!!

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2004, 10:14 AM
I saw him play last year and he is the real deal. Quick, very good release. Throws it on a rope. Decatur is going to be a very tough team come playoff time. Their non-district schedule will have them ready for anyone.

Chris Hart
09-13-2004, 10:22 AM
They're ranked #1 in my book by a landslide.

Underwater Basketweaver
09-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Titans, it's okay. Decatur doesn't want to be #1, at least not now. Too much trouble comes with that stigma. Decatur just wants to play football and be #1 in week 15.

And yes, Dane is the real deal. He has great feet, he reads defenses as well as any high school QB I've ever seen, and he is very accurate with the ball. 16 TD's only 1 INT, almost 1000 yards in three games with a completion percentage between 75 and 80%. He hasn't played in the fourth quarter yet. I don't care if you are playing the blessed sisters of the poor, those stats aren't easy to come by.

tmac
09-13-2004, 10:25 AM
i think it is either decatur or cuero no matter how bad their d was their o was that much better

spiveyrat
09-13-2004, 10:56 AM
I'm a believer. The #1 ranking is all yours (in my book).

nigelmer
09-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Dane is the real deal all right.....but give some credit to that O line too.....they give him all day to throw. I don't think he even has to call plays in the huddle.....just probably says something like "ya'll go out and run around....I'll stand here and throw to the first one I see open". Looks that easy from the stands anyway

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by nigelmer
Dane is the real deal all right.....but give some credit to that O line too.....they give him all day to throw. I don't think he even has to call plays in the huddle.....just probably says something like "ya'll go out and run around....I'll stand here and throw to the first one I see open". Looks that easy from the stands anyway

Do what works~ I kinda like the "just go out approach!"

PPHSfan
09-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Decatur has a very good HS QB, but there has to be a reason he is not getting the D1 bluechip recognition that you would think goes with it. Size? Reads? Speed? Athletic Ability?

A golden arm is nice, but I'm curious what are the big college programs missing?

cuerofootball1
09-13-2004, 12:13 PM
is decatur going d1 or d2 u think? i was just wondering if we would meet up with them. From the looks of things they are a pretty dang good team that would be a good playoff matchup for us

JasperDog94
09-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Cuero doesn't even know if they're going D1 or D2 do they?

Underwater Basketweaver
09-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Decatur has a very good HS QB, but there has to be a reason he is not getting the D1 bluechip recognition that you would think goes with it. Size? Reads? Speed? Athletic Ability?

A golden arm is nice, but I'm curious what are the big college programs missing?

Size, size, size. He is a little short for their liking at 6'. I think someone is missing out on a great find. Someone will take a chance on this kid, and find out that 6' and 6'4" isn't that big of a deal. He makes up for it with his brain and competitive spirit. He knows how to win.

Underwater Basketweaver
09-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by nigelmer

I would never downplay the O'line. They are doing a good job, but you will notice that the first guy through never sacks him. It usually isn't even the second. The few times he does get sacked, it takes 2 or 3 from different directions to get him usually. Houdini has been mentioned about him before.

Just a note: No huddle offense.

Underwater Basketweaver
09-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by cuerofootball1
is decatur going d1 or d2 u think? i was just wondering if we would meet up with them. From the looks of things they are a pretty dang good team that would be a good playoff matchup for us

Decatur is automatic D1. They are the largest school in the district.

Chief Woodman
09-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Underwater Basketweaver
Size, size, size. He is a little short for their liking at 6'. I think someone is missing out on a great find. Someone will take a chance on this kid, and find out that 6' and 6'4" isn't that big of a deal. He makes up for it with his brain and competitive spirit. He knows how to win.

Man you nailed that. There are some looking at him I have found out. But the lack of intrest seems to be as much lack of marketing as anything else. Christian is also getting some looks now.

Titans
09-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Perhaps I read that incorrectly, but it seems like you are trying to find something negative to say about a fantastic high school quarterback in Dane.

Perhaps he's not highly recruited, but I also remember back in the day when Odessa Permian was State Championship caliber and had not a single DI prospect on its teams. What is he? A fine leader and pass thrower. That just might be enough for him.

I'm sure the kid would rather win a state championship than be recruited...at least right now.

Keith7
09-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Man you nailed that. There are some looking at him I have found out. But the lack of intrest seems to be as much lack of marketing as anything else. Christian is also getting some looks now.

what do u mean lack of marketing?

kaorder1999
09-13-2004, 01:09 PM
he means "selling himself" or the HS coaches "selling" him to the colleges....at least i think

Chief Woodman
09-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
what do u mean lack of marketing?

As many said in last years thread about the subject, marketing and hard work by parents pays off. Mr Tatum of Dunbar tells me that parents calling coaches during the time when coaches cannot call recruits can really pay off. He had his sons go to the NIKE summer camp and that got the things rolling for them. He said without the combo of the two, his sons would not be playing D I at Texas and the other being recruited by virtualy everyone.

He told me that if Dane and Christian were not playing for D I school next year he would be shocked. He said if they do not get an offer rthey should walk on and he felt sure they would be on the "ride" by the next year.

Keith7
09-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
As many said in last years thread about the subject, marketing and hard work by parents pays off. Mr Tatum of Dunbar tells me that parents calling coaches during the time when coaches cannot call recruits can really pay off. He had his sons go to the NIKE summer camp and that got the things rolling for them. He said without the combo of the two, his sons would not be playing D I at Texas and the other being recruited by virtualy everyone.

so why didnt dane go to a summer camp?

Underwater Basketweaver
09-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Titans
Perhaps I read that incorrectly, but it seems like you are trying to find something negative to say about a fantastic high school quarterback in Dane.

Perhaps he's not highly recruited, but I also remember back in the day when Odessa Permian was State Championship caliber and had not a single DI prospect on its teams. What is he? A fine leader and pass thrower. That just might be enough for him.

I'm sure the kid would rather win a state championship than be recruited...at least right now.

Who is trying to say something negative about him?

PPHSfan
09-13-2004, 01:13 PM

I have never been one to beat around the bush. If I had wanted to say something negative I would have. I asked a question and got an answer. I was curious why he wasn't showing up on the recruiting radar.....now I know.

Underwater Basketweaver
09-13-2004, 01:15 PM
so why didnt dane go to a summer camp?

Who said he didn't? He went to several.

PPHSfan
09-13-2004, 01:16 PM
He was the offensive MVP at the SMU camp my sources tell me. But I have not been able to find much on him in the recruiting circles. That is why I asked my questions.

Keith7
09-13-2004, 01:18 PM
well you guys said that to be marketed that one of the things needed to do was go to these camps.. but earlier you guys said that he wasnt marketed.. so assuming the obvious.. i figured he didnt go to any camps..

Terrius purvey was a top recruit before he even went to a camp.. and when he did he didnt perform as well as he should have and went up in the rankings..

Maybe Colleges assume that his numbers are a product of the style of offense that decatur runs.. i'm not critisizing; just bringing up a point

kaorder1999
09-13-2004, 01:20 PM
i think he meant marketing by the coches...not himself.....

Titans
09-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Love "THE PRODUCT OF THE SYSTEM" comment.

Aren't all players a product of the system? I mean, if they weren't in that system, wouldn't they be a product of another system? If not, who's system are they in?

Wasn't the numbers Eli Manning put up at Ole Miss due to the "system"?

Regardless of "the system", players have to execute, bar none. Everyone is part of a system, so that is an excuse...

plain and simple!

Keith7
09-13-2004, 01:28 PM

no they werent.. Ole Miss doesnt pass 9/10 times..

now Kliff Kingsbury and B.J. Symons were products of the system.. thats why they will never see any action in the NFL..

Remember Chase Wasson from Southlake Carrol a few years back?? he put up enormous numbers against 5A teams, but couldn't get any attention from colleges, because of the system he was in..

kaorder1999
09-13-2004, 01:30 PM
i thought it was because wasson was tiny and wanted to play baseball....i could be wrong though

PPHSfan
09-13-2004, 01:35 PM
That seven foot tall WR at SLC didn't hurt Wasson's numbers either.:D

Keith7
09-13-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i thought it was because wasson was tiny and wanted to play baseball....i could be wrong though

He was 5'11" 185.. not too much smaller then Dane... and he might have ended up playing baseball, but he didnt have D-1 schools knocking on his door either

kaorder1999
09-13-2004, 01:48 PM
He was 5'11" 185.. not too much smaller then Dane... and he might have ended up playing baseball, but he didnt have D-1 schools knocking on his door either

yeah...i remember at one point he was even talking to Texas A&M-Commerce....hehe

Keith7
09-13-2004, 01:58 PM
ha theres nothing wrong w/ texas a&m-commerce though.. they have beaten UNT before..

but I dont mean any disrespect to decatur or chandler dane.. i really think Decatur is the best team in state right now, and i wish them all good luck in the future (until they play Gainesville again of course)

kaorder1999
09-13-2004, 02:04 PM
ha theres nothing wrong w/ texas a&m-commerce though.. they have beaten UNT before..

but I dont mean any disrespect to decatur or chandler dane.. i really think Decatur is the best team in state right now, and i wish them all good luck in the future (until they play Gainesville again of course)

when was that?

PPHSfan
09-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Probably when they were ETSU

Keith7
09-13-2004, 02:09 PM
yea if u go to here
http://www7.tamu-commerce.edu/sports/m_fb/2004%20Football%20Media%20Guide.pdf

and scroll down to page 52 they ahve the all time records against other schools.. they are 6-19-1 against North Texas..

Gainesville's old running back L.J. Searcy plays for them

Chief Woodman
09-13-2004, 02:11 PM
no they werent.. Ole Miss doesnt pass 9/10 times..

now Kliff Kingsbury and B.J. Symons were products of the system.. thats why they will never see any action in the NFL..

Remember Chase Wasson from Southlake Carrol a few years back?? he put up enormous numbers against 5A teams, but couldn't get any attention from colleges, because of the system he was in..

Decatur only threw 25 times with around 50 offensive plays. That is hardly 9/10, more like 5/10

kaorder1999
09-13-2004, 02:12 PM
yeah...that was bak in the old East Texas State and North Texas State days. North Texas would put 70 on the board now...

region2scout
09-13-2004, 03:19 PM
The Dayne kid seems to be getting scrutinized with his release point being to low....afraid of passes being batted down are worse yet deflected.....Everybody loves Purvey and his speed, but I have to question his weight....I am saying 180 dripping wet, I know you Gainesville people say more but I dont see it....Reminds me of DaBryan Blanton only taller, but with not as good work ethic....will know for sure by end of year.

black&blue
09-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Love "THE PRODUCT OF THE SYSTEM" comment.
Dang i wish we still had Eli...evidently "the system" doesn't work too well without him

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Texas A & M Commerce is the bottom of the barrell in the Lone Star Conference DII.

tmac
09-13-2004, 08:22 PM
i totally agree with titan,every team has a scheme and if that scheme,game plan,system or whatever you wanna call it focuses on the best thing they do whether it be pass or run.Kingsbury,and Symmons were a few examples of players that didnt benefit from their "system" how many players HAVE benefited from their "system".Countless,what about Carson Palmer?John Elway?Randy Moss?Byron Leftwich?Obviously some things went right in their "systems" countless players year in and year out in HS,NCAA,NFL,CFL,AFL and any left out org's have certain teams with certain "systems" that work for their team.And those teams get guy that best fits their "system".And by the way Dane is our best QB in god knows how long in Decatur, we predominately focused on the run before he came along,and yes Dane went to camps and Christian got his share i believe also.

slpybear the bullfan
09-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Dane is 6'0"? Wow, I would never have guessed that. No disrespect intended, he just looks a lot smaller than that the few times I have watched him. How heavy is he?

tmac
09-13-2004, 08:39 PM
danes about 210

Chief Ohera
09-13-2004, 09:45 PM
try lower around 190

Underwater Basketweaver
09-14-2004, 08:16 AM
Dane is definitely closer to 190 than 210.

I'm not sure I agree with the low release point on him though. He throws great screen passes, and they never seem to get batted down. He also throws a few three step drops and I haven't seen too many get batted down on those either. I would say maybe 1 or 2 a year the last two years. Never on a 5 or 7 step drop.

Titans
09-14-2004, 08:25 AM
You wish you had ELI back because the system isn't doing too well without him??????

HMMMMM - same thing for Texas Tech. It's all about the wins, baby.

You want system players? Look at 90% of the Miami Hurricanes quarterback over the last 20 years. How about Charlie Ward, the QB at Florida State, winning the Heisman and not even getting a look in the draft.

ALL players are system players. If they go to Notre Dame, they are players of the Irish system. If they attend Ole Miss, then the Rebels system.

Too much is made on a "system" player. It's an excuse...

It's a another way to say "you're not what we are looking for" .... or "you don't have what it takes in the NFL"

CRAP ----- who does? There's a small percentage of players that do make it big.

As for BJ, Kliff - they are in the NFL. So to say they will never play in the NFL is ludicrous and ignorant.

PPHSfan
09-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Kliff did get three or four snaps before he got released last week.

Titans
09-14-2004, 08:46 AM
There ya go...

Kliff did get some snaps. Therefore, he did play in the NFL.

If he got 1, that's more than Heisman winner Charlie Ward.

tmac
09-14-2004, 11:05 AM
thats exactly what i was sayin titan

Keith7
09-16-2004, 12:32 AM
I found out that Chase Wasson is playing football, at Texas state (not a powerhouse)

here is a link to the game state of Texas State Vs. Baylor, for proof

Texas State Vs. Baylor (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=242550239)

Keith7
09-16-2004, 12:35 AM

As for BJ, Kliff - they are in the NFL. So to say they will never play in the NFL is ludicrous and ignorant.

ludicrous and ignorant???????????? that is stupid..

They won't play in the NFL, they put up record numbers in college just like dane is doing in high school, but they werent top round draft picks, just like Dane isnt a top recruit.. so how is what i said ludicrous and ignorant???

I'll tell u what.. when BJ and Kliff play more then just a couple of snaps in a pre-season game, then you can call me ludicrous and ignorant.

check out kliff kingsbury's stats and tell me he's played in a game

Kliff Kingsbury's stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=6537)