PDA

View Full Version : Graham Vs. Decatur

hustla33
09-12-2004, 11:15 PM
We will definatley find out if Graham is the real deal or not after starting off the year 3-0. What well it take for graham to even make this one close, and what are some predictions.

Keith7
09-12-2004, 11:20 PM
pass defense is what it will take

Chris Hart
09-12-2004, 11:38 PM
I think this will be closer than Decatur's game against Gainesville. Graham should keep the clock rolling more.

Keith7
09-12-2004, 11:47 PM
the option may not work well against this speedy defense though

Chris Hart
09-13-2004, 12:27 AM
You're right Keith, it may not work that well, but then again I don't expect anything to work that well against this year's Decatur team. I just think Graham is a little further along than this year's young Gainesville team. When Gainesville and Graham meet in the first round of the playoffs, the roles may be reversed, but for now I see Graham as a stronger team. As strong as Decatur? No way!

Chief Woodman
09-13-2004, 07:22 AM
I am not too sure. This game scares me as much as last weeks match up did. Although Decatur is explosive and the new defensive scheme seems to fit our personnel very well, I have reservations. Decatur has usually has difficulty with the type of offense that Graham runs. That is one very good reason to have them on the schedule this early so that the defense can see it. They saw speed last week and found out they are pretty fast themselves. They will see the option this week and see if they can be disciplined. Both teams score a lot of points this year. I do not suspect that the Graham high scores are the result of too many long time consuming drives. They are hitting some quick, long plays or playing often from a short field which credits their defense.

Underwater Basketweaver
09-13-2004, 07:37 AM
I agree with Woodman. Don't discount Graham. They will be tough and physical. That's how they always are. The veer is a difficult offense to defend for an entire game. When you run an option, all you need is for the defense to make one mistake and you are off and running. It is difficult for a defense to go through four quarters against a good team without making a few mistakes. Option is hard to defense because of the number of things teams can do out of it. Graham will be very difficult to beat. I wouldn't count on any lopsided scores or anything.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Several keys that Graham will have to utilize:

1) Ball controll. keep it out of Dane's hands.

2) The passing game. The Steers will have to pass to open up that Decatur defense.

3) Bend but don't break defense. Give Decatur the underneath and don't give up the big plays.

Chief Woodman
09-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Several keys that Graham will have to utilize:

1) Ball controll. keep it out of Dane's hands.

2) The passing game. The Steers will have to pass to open up that Decatur defense.

3) Bend but don't break defense. Give Decatur the underneath and don't give up the big plays.

Great points Z. Except number three. The underneath stuff is turning into the big plays. J Jones caught an "underneath" pass and then broke 3 tackles enroute to a 81 yard TD. Several of the "underneath" passes are turning into big plays because of the speed and quickness of the recievers. But if you leave someone open deep........Dane is rarely off target.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2004, 10:18 AM
I proposed the #3 due to what happened to Venus last year. I think it was 21 -0 in the first qr all points scored on long TD passes.

3 Possessions 3 Td's. Graham's defense will be good. Just don't know if they will be able to contain the receivers and Dane all at the same time.

I think for Graham to stay in this game, they will have to have ball control, which they are very good at. I haven't seen them play this year, but they run the same thing year in and year out.

tmac
09-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Graham is a big and tough team and will run over you opposed to around you.great matchup with finesse o against power o

MASH4077
09-13-2004, 12:11 PM
This will be tough. Graham will be the most disciplined team we have played so far. Also the most physical. I would be very surprised if this isnt a 4 quarter ballgame. Both of these SR. groups have been winners from the get-go. When they played as Freshmen it was 25-22 Decatur. That was the closest by far anyone came to Decatur that yr as they went 10-0. I CA'NT WAIT!

tmac
09-13-2004, 08:43 PM
i remember that year in 9th we won every game and all by 30 except 2 close games to 2 tough teams.Those 2 teams were Vernon and Graham

VWG
09-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Sorry guys, Decatur by at least two touchdowns and here's why.
Graham will have to blitz to get to the Decatur QB. That will leave somebody open. If the Decatur QB is as good as he is billed up to be then he should have no trouble picking Graham apart in the secondary.
Graham does play very physical and will pound the ball at you on offense and will pound you on defense. The problem is that with the Eagles quick receivers I don't think Graham will have success stopping them.
Decatur has proven in their last two games against FW Dunbar and Gainesville that they can score. It might be a shootout, but I would say Decatur 49 Graham 35.

Chief Ohera
09-13-2004, 09:53 PM
This is a very interesting matchup with two totally different approaches.
Graham has always been a in your face smash mouth football team. They have always had great speed as well. I have not seen the two teams play this year but I read somewhere that Graham has a 23 or 24 game winning streak at home. Home field advantage will play in their favor. They have always been tough to beat at home. Graham always seems to run into bad luck in the playoffs. They seems to draw very tough teams in the first round every year despite winning their district every year.
I just don't see Graham winning this game. I feel sorry for the graham athletes that have come through their program year in and year out and no one every sees their full potential because of the type of offense they run and the way the coaching staff (Bourquin) uses his players. Imagine what Graham would do with a passing attack like Decatur. Graham will not be out matched drastically.
I am not a fan of the veer offense at all and that is why Decatur will win this game by at least 10 points, and also I don't think that Graham has the secondary to match Decatur's wr's. They seemed to have trouble with the Birdville qb last week.
Good luck to both teams.