PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Wins Rivalry Game

UTFootBall#1
09-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Cuero,Texas- The Cuero Gobblers ran away with a win on Friday at 7:30 p.m at Gobbler Stadium with help from Larvell Roy who rushed for 275 yards on 22 attempts.
As the Cuero Gobblers ran onto the field to the Darth Vader theme played by the Gobbler band the stage was set. The rematch of last years playoff game where the Gobblers were eliminated 32-29 would prove to be a nailbitter.
The Wharton Tigers, however, wasted no time taking the lead in the first quarter 14-7 with passes of 32 and 54 yards by Trey Jones to Leslie Clark. The 6 foot 2 receiver seemed unstoppable. Just then, Larvell Roy with 11:32 left in the 2nd quarter ran the ball for 45 yards to paydirt.
There were seven seconds left until the half and it seemed as if these two powerhouses would go into the locker room tied 28-28. However, Trey Jones thought otherwise as he connected with Jeremy Salinas on a 54 yard pass to the end zone. Wharton took the lead 35-28 into the half.
The Gobblers came out fired up in the 3rd quarter as they shut down Whartons offense and put 21 points on the board. The Gobblers took the lead 49-38 going into the fourth quarter as the buzzer sounded.
The Tigers offense then began to click again on all cylinders as Trey Jones connected with Wes Krejci on a 13 yard pass to the end zone. However, Cuero quarterback Matt Schumacher answered back connecting with Jeremy Ross on a 30 yard pass to the endzone. Cuero took the lead 56-42. The Wharton defense never quit though as they shut down Cuero's offense with 5:00 minutes remaining on the scoreboard.
Trey Jones then ran the ball in 4 yards for a touchdown with 2:32 left on the clock. The score was now 56-49. Cuero threatened to end the game with 1:30 left on the clock until the Wharton defense stopped Cuero's offense on 3rd down and 4 to go. New life awakened in the Wharton stands and Trey Jones was now determined to help his team get the "W". With 51 seconds left on the clock Jones connects with Jamail Shelton on a 20 yard pass to score a touchdown. The game was expected to go into overtime until Wharton decided they would try to end the game with a 2 point conversion. The crowd became silent as the ball was snapped to Jones. Jones scrambled until he found his receiver and tried to lob it in his hands. The pass however was incomplete and the Cuero stands became as loud as thunder. Cuero would run out the clock with 51 seconds left and win the game. Both of these teams though are winners in my book.

Wharton Key Players
1.Trey Jones- 19-28-0-379
2.Leslie Clark- 4-114
3.Kendrick Morgan- 3-70
4.Jeremy Salinas- 1-54

Cuero Key Players
1.Larvell Roy- 22-275
2.Matt Schumacher- 6-8-0-116
3.Nick Taylor- 2-48
4. Jeremy Ross- 3-61

(Some of the stats may be wrong and some other stuff but oh well not bad for my first one....haha..laterz)

Gobbla2001
09-12-2004, 10:22 PM
You write that?

Not bad....

You majoring in Journalism or anything?

UTFootBall#1
09-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Haha nah im not majoring in Journalism...its just an assignment I had to do for my Kinesiology class...write an article about a game and i decided to write about the Cuero game....

SintonFan
09-12-2004, 11:27 PM
UTFootBall#1 maybe you should submit that to Texas Preps or something. Nice story.
I was curious about the jump in score from 14-14 to 28 all.:)
Not a bad effort at all.:cool: