PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to lose one early or go into play-offs 10-0?

Pudlugger
10-29-2002, 01:48 PM
For La Grange it has been better to lose a game or two early and then peak in the playoffs. The 1999 season La Grange went 10-0 with Tye Gunn at Qb and a host of talented players. They won the first round against a 4-6 Caldwell team then had a bad game against a tough Robinson team and lost 28-14 in round two. In the next two years they lost to Bay City in the season openners (2000 & 2001 ) Gonzales in 2000 and Sealy and Bellville in 2001. This year they lost the openner to Yoakum. Now they are beginning to reach their peak in terms of balancing offense with defense. The defense came along first as usual for the Leps, but the offense has shown real strength and versatility the last few games. As I see it the early loss sort of takes the pressure of the team. They don't need to worry about the polls as they get little attention after a loss, and the 'undefeated' mantle doesn't weigh them down going into the tough games in play-offs. Sure it is best for a team to win 15 or 16 games but if you have to lose one it is best to get it out of your system early. The best example this year of a team that is peaking at the right time is Cuero. They lost four straight yet they are playing like a contender now. IMHO :cool: :cool:

oldbuff78
10-29-2002, 02:05 PM
For LG it is better to lose one early. I think in 1975 they lost one to Bellville and won 14 straight. Let me know if I am wrong.

vet93
10-29-2002, 02:23 PM
I think the answer depends on a lot of factors. If your team is truly a dominant team that should easily win their regular season games, then I see no value in losing early with the exception of keeping the team from getting the "big head". If you are a dominant, undefeated team, your Legend increases with each victory and that could help give you a mental edge. The loss also gives everyone that you play hope. Hope is a powerful thing. If you are a good team that is on its way to being dominant I think that it is better to lose an early game. This gives you some learning and motivational advantages spurring you to try harder. Having those losses could also lull teams that meet you in the playoffs into having a false sense of security (example: Bridgeport last year). Using my criteria, then I think that those early losses help LG and Cuero in the long run whereas, say Everman losing to Kennedale in my mind didn't help Everman because it stripped them of their air of invincibility.

QB85
10-29-2002, 02:52 PM
For Barbers Hill I think it was a big relief to get a loss early. There was tremendous pressure to keep the winning streak alive.(31 straight) Then came Dickinson....a real powerhouse in 4A this year who gave the Eagles their second loss in a row. Now this BH team is really looking strong in all aspects of the game! They totally dominated a very good Coldspring team this last weekend. (I feel sorry for Shepherd and Tarkington in the next two weeks) Barbers Hill should steamroll into the first round of the playoffs and face a very good Bridge City team. What a game that will be!!

whtfbplaya
10-29-2002, 03:28 PM
It's never good to loose!

hotstuff
10-29-2002, 04:00 PM
I've known teams that started 0-4 or 0-5 without its best player so he could get his grades up to par before district and then win all district games after his return. No one prepared because of the deceptive record and they went to the third round. Playing a tough non-district record is smart. I say play a great opponent, two strong opponents and two easier ones to build confidence, but a strong one before district so the bar is raised just in time.

FBmania
10-29-2002, 07:00 PM
whtfbplaya:
It's never good to loose!In the short term losing hurts and tears some teams apart, while it makes others pull together. It's how you respond after an early loss that determines if it was good or bad for the team.

redraider
10-29-2002, 07:22 PM
What matters most in this case is the question has your team been tested or not. Losing early like some have said can tear apart a team, but then it can also bring that team together. Going into the playoffs 10-0 has its ups and downs. You've got that 10-0 record talking for you, but if you have never been tested, then it can hurt you. If you have had close games during the season and the kids know how to respond in a tight game, then it doesn't matter--the kids will respond and the better team will win. You either need a loss or a close game to keep the team down to earth and focused on what lies ahead. wink

bigbullbacker
10-29-2002, 09:32 PM
Not if u end the season 10-1 LOL

bd62
10-29-2002, 10:04 PM
its better to lose one early so the kids find out what happens when they have a bad game or in some cases face a stronger team and find out where they need to work on.sometimes 10-0 teams get upset early in playoffs because they may think they are better than they are. coaches can talk and talk but there is nothing like a loss to get the point.its better early. later may be too late.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-29-2002, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure it matters--really depends on who you lose to. I know that Graham, Iowa Park and Vernon play several 4A schools in the non-district, so not as bad to lose to them, but Dang Childress lost to Quanah a 2A school. Of course peeking in the playoffs is what is all about. There has only been 1 team that was an undefeated superbowl champ ~ Miami

redraider
10-30-2002, 09:09 AM
You can learn just as much from a close game as you can from a loss if you only win by say 3. If your 10-0 and end 10-1 then the team that was better and better prepared won. Don't put the blame on the kids, might need to talk to the coaches. Been there done that.

oldbuff78
10-30-2002, 12:55 PM
Pudlugger, would you see if i was right about LG in 1975? I think i am right, but not 100% sure!!

Pudlugger
10-30-2002, 03:49 PM
oldbuff78:
Pudlugger, would you see if i was right about LG in 1975? I think i am right, but not 100% sure!!This pre-dates me at La Grange, so I'll have to get back to you. :)