PDA

View Full Version : West Texas Top 10

wildstangs
09-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Rip away. Its kinda hard to find 10 great teams out in West since all our schools keep dropping to 2A.

1. Wylie
2. Snyder
3. Vernon
4. Cooper
5. Perryton
6. Canyon
7. Sweetwater
8. Muleshoe
9. Merkel
10. Monahans

Adidas410s
09-12-2004, 03:17 PM
what...you dont have Clyde #1??? What are you thinking??? j.k... I pretty much agree but would make a few changes:

1. Wylie...hard to put them here but I doubt we will see another coaching performance out of Hugh similar to what happened vs Aledo...EVERYBODY has an off night.
2. Snyder...wanted to put them #1 because they have taken care of business so far...but I'm gonna be a homer
3. Vernon...Wylie/Vernon this week is gonna be a GOOD game. The last time these teams hooked up @ Vernon it was a 31-0 blowout in a blizzard in the 1st round of the playoffs in 1997 (i think)...dont think the same thing will happen here.
4. Lubbock Cooper...always felt this school is overrated in EVERY sport and they never seem to come through in the playoffs so I am gonna go ahead and overrate them right now!
5. Breckenridge...DARKHORSE SPECIAL!!! I just have a feeling on this one that they will sneak into the 3rd playoff spot behind Vernon and Graham...yeah they aren't really WTX but I'm gonna toss them in.
7. Sweetwater...I think they just had a slow start but are definitely gonna be TOUGH come district.
8. Canyon...I see people from Perryton saying we should put them ahead of Perryton so I am going to. That and Canyon usually has some good athletes.
9. Perryton...I dont care what ANYBODY says. The gap between 3A and 2A is MUCH greater than between 3A and 4A so losing to any 2A team (ranked or not) is just not gonna cut it if you are SUPPOSED to be the top ranked team in 3A in Texas.
10. Clyde/Merkel...together they are a pretty tough team. That being said I dont see either of them getting out of district. Put them in ANY other district in Region 1 (and almost any other in 3A) and they would definitely be a playoff team...may not get out of Round 1 but they would be there for sure.

OK that's it...time to go find someone to go play golf with...

wildstangs
09-12-2004, 03:31 PM
I forgot about Breckenridge...Of course if I put them in a West Texas rankings, you could add Graham as well.

Adidas410s
09-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I forgot about Breckenridge...Of course if I put them in a West Texas rankings, you could add Graham as well.

oh no...we will NEVER add Graham to any ranking list. ;)

VWG
09-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Now... just exactly where does "West Texas" officially start?
Because most people in the metroplex think that as soon as you go past Bridgeport, Bowie, or Eastland... you're in West Texas.
Others think that you have to be in Abilene until you've hit West Texas. So give us your thoughts!

mulefan
09-12-2004, 06:56 PM
WEST OF ABILENE IS WEST TEXAS TO ME.

ranger
09-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
what...you dont have Clyde #1??? What are you thinking??? j.k... I pretty much agree but would make a few changes:

1. Wylie...hard to put them here but I doubt we will see another coaching performance out of Hugh similar to what happened vs Aledo...EVERYBODY has an off night.
2. Snyder...wanted to put them #1 because they have taken care of business so far...but I'm gonna be a homer
3. Vernon...Wylie/Vernon this week is gonna be a GOOD game. The last time these teams hooked up @ Vernon it was a 31-0 blowout in a blizzard in the 1st round of the playoffs in 1997 (i think)...dont think the same thing will happen here.
4. Lubbock Cooper...always felt this school is overrated in EVERY sport and they never seem to come through in the playoffs so I am gonna go ahead and overrate them right now!
5. Breckenridge...DARKHORSE SPECIAL!!! I just have a feeling on this one that they will sneak into the 3rd playoff spot behind Vernon and Graham...yeah they aren't really WTX but I'm gonna toss them in.
7. Sweetwater...I think they just had a slow start but are definitely gonna be TOUGH come district.
8. Canyon...I see people from Perryton saying we should put them ahead of Perryton so I am going to. That and Canyon usually has some good athletes.
9. Perryton...I dont care what ANYBODY says. The gap between 3A and 2A is MUCH greater than between 3A and 4A so losing to any 2A team (ranked or not) is just not gonna cut it if you are SUPPOSED to be the top ranked team in 3A in Texas.
10. Clyde/Merkel...together they are a pretty tough team. That being said I dont see either of them getting out of district. Put them in ANY other district in Region 1 (and almost any other in 3A) and they would definitely be a playoff team...may not get out of Round 1 but they would be there for sure.

OK that's it...time to go find someone to go play golf with...

you said EVERYBODY has an off night..... Perryton did! The gap from 2A to 3 A and 3A to 4A????? I'd like to know how many teams played against an OU player Friday night.... we just couldn't stop him when it mattered most. AND NEITHER CAN WYLIE!!!6'4" 235LBS. 4.5 forty.......Not an excuse, just the reason we couldn't get anything going!

sirhc11
09-12-2004, 07:49 PM
I do think Clyde should be ranked above Merkel. Their defense has just been too tough not to rank them above Merkel, but I guess we'll see as soon as district rolls around. I think the Clyde Merkel game should be a thriller.

Da Mules
09-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the love Stangs but Muleshoe is NOT currently a top 10 WT team. We said going in that it would be up to the Juniors coming in to GROW UP and meet the challenge, and I just haven't seen that happen yet.
Pros: they have more speed than I've seen since the 1999 Lamesa team, including an incredibly quick soph QB, a big tough fast Junior FB who thinks the shortest line between any 2 points on the field is a good stiff arm, a slippery fast Junior TB who is developing very well, and some wide receivers who aren't afraid to catch it in traffic and then run like Micheal Irvin after the catch. We have a very good center, and a middle linebacker who looks like a cinch for All South Plains 3A to me.
Cons: OUR LINE.... still making block-headed holding & off-sides fouls, too small, haven't shown that they're gonna get er done down the stretch, yes they're quick, but that is NOT getting the blocking done consistently. ALso a couple ofl Jr DB's have not grown up to the varsity level yet.
I still think we will make the playoffs and we have a long shot at winning the 2-3A championship outright.. but I kinda think either Canyon or Perryton will show us the exit right quick, unless this team GROWS UP AND GROWS UP FAST!!!

wildstangs
09-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
oh no...we will NEVER add Graham to any ranking list. ;)

To me, and this is just my opinion, After you leave Clyde you are out of West Texas.

wildstangs
09-12-2004, 09:09 PM
I put Muleshoe in because they are 3-0. Like I said, we dont have many teams out in West Texas/Panhandle to rate any more.

Da Mules
09-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Well thanks again:D If Muleshoe goes about 10-0 or 9-1, I'll say that we have solved some of the problems I see now and we'll be ready for a top ten in Region 1 ranking.

Da Mules
09-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Ranger, do you remember that big kid from Childress back in 2000 and 2001?? Michael Briscoe I think was his name.. Now there was a D1 hoss who would go out of his way to HIT you!! How does the Canadian kid compare to him

ranger
09-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Yes he may be better than the Childress back.

Wtx_coach
09-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Rip away. Its kinda hard to find 10 great teams out in West since all our schools keep dropping to 2A.

1. Wylie
2. Snyder
3. Vernon
4. Cooper
5. Perryton
6. Canyon
7. Sweetwater
8. Muleshoe
9. Merkel
10. Monahans

I would say

1.Wylie
2.Snyder
3.Cooper
4.Vernon
5.Perryton
6.Sweetwater
7.Merkel
7.Monahans
8.Canyon
9.Greenwood
10.Ft.stockton

Adidas410s
09-13-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by ranger
you said EVERYBODY has an off night..... Perryton did! The gap from 2A to 3 A and 3A to 4A????? I'd like to know how many teams played against an OU player Friday night.... we just couldn't stop him when it mattered most. AND NEITHER CAN WYLIE!!!6'4" 235LBS. 4.5 forty.......Not an excuse, just the reason we couldn't get anything going!

now now...I was saying that Wylie's COACH (that would be Hugh...as in Hugh Sandifer, the new THSCA President!) had an off night and I feel that was out coached by the Aledo coach...something that rarely happens when you play Wylie. Our players played well but were simply outclassed in terms of ability. If you want to refer back to my post on the Wylie/Aledo game from a few days ago you can get my actual thoughts on the plays on the field. In that post I did not go into details regarding the coaching or anything else.

For the record, the game is NOT about just one player, especially in 3A and under where the caliber of that player is far superior to that of the other players on the team. Case in point, the Wylie 2000 state finals game against Gatesville. This was the senior year of Taurean Henderson (now @ Tech) to refresh your memory. Everybody went into that game keying on Henderson but he was NOT the reason that we lost that game. Henderson was shut down for the night (I believe around 88 yds where he had been averaging approx 185 yds/game coming in). What beat Wylie us were two great plays; a great pump fake by their QB at the start of the 3rd quarter for a long TD pass and a naked screen play that their receiver turned into a long gain down inside the Wylie 5 in the last few minutes of the game that made the difference.

Now dont take this as me saying that having a Div 1 player is nothing that great because they certainly have the ability to dominate the game, especially in the smaller classifications mainly due to the fact that a Div 1 caliber player is typically bigger at his position than the average 3A/2A player would be. However, claiming that they won because of one player is ignorant because I am sure (and I know you are as well) that there are many other factors that went in to Perryton losing that game. That being said, its early in the season and NOT that big of a deal. Go win district and start looking ahead to week 2 of the playoffs when you will get to play a team from 4-3A and THEN we will see just how good Perryton really is this year.

ranger
09-13-2004, 05:48 AM
We'll see you then!

DirtRoad
09-13-2004, 06:40 AM
WT COACH????

9. GREENWOOD
10. STOCKTON

GREENWOOD IS GONNA HAVE TO FIND A QB AND WIN A GAME.

STOCKTON IS 2-1(LOST TO A 2A TEAM), NOW IF THEY HANG 50 ON KERMIT THIS WEEK OK, BUT THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

QUAILKILLER, YOU OUT THERE...WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON IT?

Wtx_coach
09-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Well the way I look at it, Greenwood is young and the season is still early, I really think by then end of the year they will be on a west texas top 10 list and hey if not I guess i would be predicting wrong like everyone else, as far as Stockton goes they lost to a good Colorado City team that has size and speed and I was at the game and if Stockton could have executed effectivley in the red zone they could have put up 40 points on them too, but I agree with you if they can beat Kermit by more then 14 points i will keep them on my top 10 list!

TheDOCTORdre
09-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Everyones got their opinion on whos where in the polls but therea always that one team that turns it on at district and blows every ones mind cant wait to see who does it this year

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Wtx_coach
I would say

1.Wylie
2.Snyder
3.Cooper
4.Vernon
5.Perryton
6.Sweetwater
7.Merkel
7.Monahans
8.Canyon
9.Greenwood
10.Ft.stockton

Merkel was beaten by Holliday a 2A school. A week prior they almost lost to Windthrost the top ranked 1A school.

westTXbest
09-13-2004, 12:33 PM
I gurantee Greenwood and Monahans r 2 good teams i think they will better when disrict starts. Greenwoods tailback #8 Brooks can hang with any of the tailbacks in west texas.

westTXbest
09-13-2004, 12:35 PM
I know Greenwood and Monahans r the toughest 0-2 teams there is.

Black_Magic
09-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by westTXbest
I gurantee Greenwood and Monahans r 2 good teams i think they will better when disrict starts. Greenwoods tailback #8 Brooks can hang with any of the tailbacks in west texas. We are fixing to find out if thats true. We will see how he does against Snyder. You will also get a first hand look at Walker.

QuailKiller
09-13-2004, 03:33 PM
I AM HERE.

STOCKTON AIN'T IN THE TOP 10 OF THEIR OWN DISTRICT!

THEY GAVE UP 26 POINTS TO A TEAM THAT WON'T SCORE 26 POINTS THE REST OF THE YEAR.

HE KEPT HAND'EN OFF ON THE RIGHT SIDE INSTEAD OF THE LEFT, I TOLD HIM TUESDAY ONLY HAND OFF ON LEFT SIDE. THEN RTO MAKE MATTERS WORSE HE STILL GETS IN PUNT FORMATION AND CALL IT OFFENSE.

I NEED HELP WITH THESE DUMB ARSES OUT HERE.