PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City Cross Country Boys dominate 4A/5A meet; Girls dominate 3A-1A big meet

Old Cardinal
09-12-2004, 11:28 AM
The Cardinals were the only 3A team to get an invitation to the big 4A-5A Nederland 7th Invitational touted meet at Doornbos Park. B.C. sported FIVE of the first SEVEN finishers, with Aaron Brannon(a Junior) winning in 16:14.53. Brent Higgins of BC finished in ninth place thus making a good sweep of the first 10 spots. One more BC young runner finished in the top 15. That type aggressive running has BC in 1st place ranking in 3A.
The B. C. girls were not invited to run against the 4A-5A field, but instead totally dominated the 3A-1A Division II large field of contestants. They placed in SIX of the top EIGHT spots in the field. At present they are ranked 10th(week 1) in the state poll even though their composite low times continue to surpass teams ranked much higher.

Some of the runners are going to travel all the way to compete in Texas A & M's HS meet in College Station... Congratulations to Coaches Cody Knight and Miller--what an up-beat joyful program... These girls amaze me, they can beat most 3A boys teams based on their times. If you ever observe the 21st century training techniques that these youth use to condition, you would start to understand that dedication and commitment is paramount. Look for the scholarships to flow for all these youth.

j_dog
09-12-2004, 04:41 PM
What are the teams making up the state rankings?

Old Cardinal
09-12-2004, 08:55 PM
To J_Dog: The site of the TX cross country coaches assoc. is www.cccat.org Here are the "week-- two" results for 3A:
BOYS
#1 Bridge City
#2 Canyon
#3 Pharr Valley View
#4 West
#5 Luling
#6 Brownfield
#7 Yoakum
#8 LaVernia
#9 Ingram
#10 Cameron
Thus far, the only team to edge out Bridge City is 4A #2 Friendswood in a head-on contest...It's kind of hard to tell about the valley teams, they have a lot of new runners move into their School Districts--Yoakum, LaVernia, Pharr Valley View.
Last year it ended up Elgin, Bridge City, Pharr Valley View in that order in the State Championship. I would think it will be between B.C. & Pharr Valley View. I would suspect that Orangefield will break into the top 10 sometime in the rankings. While Bridge City was winning the Nederland Invitational Division I for 4A-5A--Orangefield came in second in the Division II 3-A-1A meet. They are improving rapidly. In that Nederland meet Bridge City's Junior Varsity also won the 1st place in 4A-5-A with young Ryan Kelly winning and leading his pack to the first place win. I think maybe they now have a viable building program in place!
GIRLS (week 2 ratings)
#1 Canyon
#2 Gonzales
#3 Llano
#4 Giddings
#5 Bridge City
#6 LaVernia
#7 Yoakum
#8 Pilot Point
#9 Wills Point
#10 Borger
I would think that by the 3rd week of ratings it will be a very accurate listing. Hampshire-Fannett may move into the top ten sometime during the year for the 3A girls.

bulldogman06
09-12-2004, 08:57 PM
i would like to add that every meet banderas boys have been to they have had their 2 top boy runners place in the top 3. and last saturday they were invited to a 5a meet, if only they had a supporting cast, the team might go farther

Old Cardinal
09-13-2004, 02:13 PM
To Bulldogman06 ; You see that ofter where a team has one standout....Anahuac has one very outstanding boy on their team
It's also true for the girls teams Castleberry and Decatur have Tara Natelie, Jessica Torres, Heather Adams that are just outstanding.
That is why I like the team trophies and also the individual trophies at the meets.

I was noticing the 2A ratings do not have the good Deweyville team listed. Deweyville is a very good 2A challenger!

PPHSfan
09-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Was this a three mile course?

KL3
09-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Looks like Bellville needs to get some votes in the top 10 next week. At the Texas A&M invitational this past weekend, they placed 2nd behind #9 ranked Giddings. Bridge City, ranked #4 in the state, placed 4th.

Old Cardinal
09-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Yes the girls and boys from Bridge City ran at A & M Saturday.

Yes the Bridge City GIRLS ran 3A and Under and placed 4th out of 14 teams with 142 runners.

The BOYS however had an incredible Saturday, running against the 4As The boys came in second beating the #1, #6, and 10th RANKED teams in 4A. The team that edged out Bridge City to win it was Lockhart which was RANKED #3 at the time in 4A. Their were 30 teams with 234 runners in that event.

BCs BOYS overall times appear to be the best in 3A at this time.

Old Cardinal
09-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Can someone please share with us about the cross country boys and girls from Canyon HS. They seem to have quite a program going up there.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Z-Motion's daughter will run at the Lubbock meet this Saturday. She is a freshman and will run JV. So far she has collected a 7th and 6th place, both races had about 90 girls, so in the next couple of years I should have another track star!

I don't know too much about cross country, but I suppose I will by season's end.