PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs Arkansas

PhiI C
09-11-2004, 09:38 PM
It is halftime and Arkansas is winning 17 to 16. After a good first quarter in which Texas was winning 16 to 7 Arkansas is whipping Texas and taking control. Their offense has it together and their defense is whipping Texas offense all over the field. Ironically just as in OK Ark is winning mainly with Texans that went into Razorback land. Looks like a bad night for Texas.

HighSchool Fan
09-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Texas is showing that they are still soft.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Is there a "Chance" we will see "Mock" in the second half?

Now that would really be good for team unity, wouldn't it, to reopen that old can of worms.

However, Vincent has not converted any new disciples to his "sidearm philosophy of passing" with his performance in the first half.

Keith7
09-11-2004, 09:55 PM
its been one half.. still awhole lot of football to be played

PhiI C
09-11-2004, 10:12 PM
A long drive by Texas results in a td and they lead 22 to 17. They went for two and didn't get it. Hope that point doesn't haunt them later. We will see.

DawgFan91
09-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Texas' D-Line sucks. Geeez, they get no pressure at all. Thank goodness for D. Johnson and a solid tackling secondary.

PhiI C
09-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Texas used a little time in the last drive but wound up short and missed a field goal. Hopefully the rest helped the Texas defense but still time for Arkansas. We will see.

Strike Fast
09-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Did the Ark rec catch it or not. Your thoughts...

Keith7
09-11-2004, 10:49 PM
It was clearly incomplete... Arkansas paid off the refs i think or its the same refs that were at the Gainesville - Celina game 2 years ago

DawgFan91
09-11-2004, 10:51 PM
There have been some close calls both ways but we aren't playing well. I wonder if Michael Huff can play a more pathetic game. Won't tackle, can't catch... We've got some studs on the bench that want to play if he doesn't.

PhiI C
09-11-2004, 10:53 PM
A bad call and Arkansas uses it to get within 2 at 22 to 20. Refs blew that one. One of the refs that had a better view is just as responsible for not correcting him. Big 12 will be looking at that one if it effects the outcome. A field goal will win it for Arkansas. Texas should have gone for one earlier. Let's hope they can get a nice long td drive and extra point on this drive. Still time.

Strike Fast
09-11-2004, 10:57 PM
Agree, the ball hit the ground.

Keith7
09-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Yeah i do remember those refs from celina now

Keith7
09-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Arkansas is in texas territory with 3:20 left

Keith7
09-11-2004, 11:12 PM
fummmmmmbbbllllleeeeeee.. texas recovers to hopefully end the game

DawgFan91
09-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Too close. Man, if we don't have some of these young receivers step up, we are going to have a repeat of last yr. against Oklahoma. I was glad to see that we were able to get some pressure on Jones at the end though. Wasn't pretty, but a win is a win.

marlin fan
09-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Grr Arkansas lost GRRR oh well better luck next week!!!

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-12-2004, 12:00 AM
As good as this game was I almost started pulling for the Hogs until I remembered the Flag plant of last year.

I'm glad Mack Brown doesn't coach the Vernon Lions!

PhiI C
09-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Hey Z what Flag Plant?

Texas held on to win. A good game. Losing to Arkansas and Oklahoma again would have been too much so it is a great win.

Buckeye80
09-12-2004, 12:05 AM
What was the score? I'm cable challenged.

PhiI C
09-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Texas 22 Arkansas 20

Buckeye80
09-12-2004, 12:14 AM
Thanks PhiI!!

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Last year in Austin, after the Hoggs beat the Horns a Arkansas player planted the state flag of Arkansas in the enzone and several players danced around it.

bad move~

PhiI C
09-12-2004, 12:24 AM
I see. Thank you Z! And you are welcome Buckeye!

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-12-2004, 12:24 AM
They showed a replay of it durning half time tonight.

Buckeye80
09-12-2004, 12:29 AM
So when do we move out to overrun Area Razorback? I'll volunteer for the frontline. Hell, I'm already up here!

LST_Terry
09-12-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
As good as this game was I almost started pulling for the Hogs until I remembered the Flag plant of last year.

I'm glad Mack Brown doesn't coach the Vernon Lions!

What did Brown do wrong in this game? To me Texas showed something by winning a tough game on the road when breaks were not going there way.

PhiI C
09-12-2004, 12:37 AM
You got me LST! Any time you get a win up in Fayettville it is great! That is a tough place to play and the crowd was fired up for Arkansas tonight!

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-12-2004, 12:39 AM
The first problem was to kick when Arkansas won the toss and deferred.

So Texas kicked off to start both halfs. How about that for one. Then to even have Arkansas within 2? Come on... Texas will be playing OU and I don't even have to say it.

Buckeye80
09-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Hey Terry! I never got to see what you thought about PPHS Fan last night. I was on too late. That dude knows quite a bit about football, huh.
I gotta admit. I figured it would be a 25-30 point victory for the Buckeyes, but he darn near called it on the nose! He's a great one, and that's why they call him "daddy".

Side note: I hope you don't take offense to the "what was that guy smokin'" comment I made in another post about the Gilmer vs. Lindale game. In no way was I bashing Lindale. I was just saying that Lindale is not even close to being as good as they were billed by some guy who probably picked their name out of a hat. They showed that last night.
They are a young team and they'll make young team mistakes. And because of a weak district, they'll make those mistakes all the way to the playoffs this year. Mark it down! Lindale will make the playoffs and beat Carthage in the first round.

LST_Terry
09-12-2004, 12:45 AM
lol..he nailed it..Sort of..it was not a dominating win by any means..Lindale is just not that good right now..i have no alleigance at all, I am there to broadcast a game either way..i felt Lindale would come in with the attitude that they have to re-prove themselves, and they did not. I wonder if they make play-offs. they are just not playing well, BUT it is early

JasperDog94
09-13-2004, 10:19 AM
The first problem was to kick when Arkansas won the toss and deferred.
How is that Mack's fault. You could clearly see him talking to the ref at the beginning of the game saying that's not what they wanted. The kid on the field messed up.

PPHSfan
09-13-2004, 10:21 AM
I missed the first quarter, but didn't they kick off and then score a safety?

If so, then kicking off was a good idea:D

JasperDog94
09-13-2004, 10:24 AM
I also thought the twisted ankle of Young was no accident. You could clearly see the Arkansas player twist Young's ankle when he was already on the ground. Of course there was no penalty called. Talk about classless.:mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
How is that Mack's fault. You could clearly see him talking to the ref at the beginning of the game saying that's not what they wanted. The kid on the field messed up.

That is bad coaching. The kid should have been coached to know what to do.

You have to be kidding me....the Horns almost lost this game. What the heck are they going to do when they have to play OU or even a Missouri?

TMer25
09-13-2004, 10:44 AM
After seeing Missouri get handled by Troy and with that game being in Austin, Missouri just seems a little less threatening now.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by TMer25
After seeing Missouri get handled by Troy and with that game being in Austin, Missouri just seems a little less threatening now.

Maybe so, but so does Texas...know what I mean?

TMer25
09-13-2004, 10:54 AM
I see what your saying. But a win on the road against an SEC team that has gone to a bowl game the past couple of years, isn't exactly something that's going to make me think the season is in trouble.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by TMer25
I see what your saying. But a win on the road against an SEC team that has gone to a bowl game the past couple of years, isn't exactly something that's going to make me think the season is in trouble.

When I think of national championship contenders I do not think of Arkansas no matter what conference they are in.

Texas I do. Now with that poor showing I am not so sure. I think Texas stumbles this year. No conference championship, no national championship, and a couple of Big 12 losses.

TMer25
09-13-2004, 11:05 AM
I don't necessairily see it as a poor showing. Texas went on the road, beat a team that thumped them at home last year and overcame a couple of really bad calls in the process. I don't think Texas is a national championship contender, but for now i'll take the 10 win seasons we keep having over where the program was before Mack got there.

kaorder1999
09-13-2004, 11:35 AM
yeah...before mack brown got there they had the chance to win a conference championship and even did...wouldn't want to go back there. Texas is NOT a top 10 team.

JasperDog94
09-13-2004, 11:39 AM
That is bad coaching. The kid should have been coached to know what to do.
Every kid that has ever played the game knows how to conduct a coin flip. He obviously misunderstood the ref. I still don't see how Mack could have done anything different. What's he supposed to do, go hold his hand during the flip to make sure that he doesn't mess up?

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2004, 11:47 AM
I dissagree with you. In fact, Vernon defers the flip if they win every time in hopes that some kid hasn't been coached to know what to do and that Vernon could get the ball twice. The kid doesn't get to choose what he wants to do the coach tells him what to do before he goes out.

Come on now, that is as basic as it gets. Anyway, I'm down on Texas. I wanted them to really beat up on Arkansas. After what they did to us last year. I was just dissapointed in the play calling and the entire game. I was mad that Texas let Arkansas almost win this one. Now I did see that bad call about the catch by Arkansas in the middle of the field. That was the only one I remember. Those things do happen though.

See where I'm comming from now?

JasperDog94
09-13-2004, 11:53 AM
I agree with you on some of the play calling. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not a big Mack Brown supporter. I just think this was one of those things that you can't blame the coach for. Trust me, there's plenty of other stuff that can be laid on the coaching staff.

On the other hand, Texas is in a world of hurt now that Selvin (sp?) Young is hurt. That just puts more load on Bensen. It would be nice to give him a breather so he's fresh come 4th quarter. Surely they've got some other backups that can get some playing time.

TMer25
09-13-2004, 11:56 AM
We did win a conference championship with Mackovic, with an 8-5 record and finished the year unranked. Followed that season up by going 4-7 and losing by 63 to UCLA on our home field. So I will take Mack and his 10 win seasons for now.

Phil C
09-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Jasper I thought he might have twisted it too but I couldn't tell for sure. I wonder what Young said about it. If it is so it was classless and the player from Arkansas should be suspended for two games but Houston and Frank wouldn't do that. I don't blame Royal for not going up there.

kaorder1999
09-13-2004, 12:04 PM
though its not a bad thing for the school....Texas is only ranked as high as they are every year because of its name. Thats it! It doesnt matter that OU puts 60 up on them. It doesnt matter that Arkansas beats them (except for this year). It doesnt matter about the wins and losses...its all because of the name.....

JasperDog94
09-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
though its not a bad thing for the school....Texas is only ranked as high as they are every year because of its name. Thats it! It doesnt matter that OU puts 60 up on them. It doesnt matter that Arkansas beats them (except for this year). It doesnt matter about the wins and losses...its all because of the name..... I'm gonna throw the "BS" flag on this one. That's a bunch of crap. Did you know that Texas is the only school to beat LSU in a bowl game since Saben took over? I think that alone says something about the program. Do you really long for the days of Mackovich? When you never knew which team would show up? Show some love man. Don't get blinded by your hatred of Mack to not give respect to a great football team.

Are they title contenders? Probably not. We'll see after OU. Stoops has had Texas' number for years. Let's wait and see how things go.

JasperDog94
09-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Jasper I thought he might have twisted it too but I couldn't tell for sure. I wonder what Young said about it. If it is so it was classless and the player from Arkansas should be suspended for two games but Houston and Frank wouldn't do that. I don't blame Royal for not going up there. If you watched it on replay, (I have dish network PVR) you could see the Arkansas player yank on his foot and twist it after he was on the ground. Vince took his other foot and tried to kick him in retaliation. Truely a classless coach that would allow a player to do that and a classless player to try it.:( :( :mad: :mad:

kaorder1999
09-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'm gonna throw the "BS" flag on this one. That's a bunch of crap. Did you know that Texas is the only school to beat LSU in a bowl game since Saben took over? I think that alone says something about the program. Do you really long for the days of Mackovich? When you never knew which team would show up? Show some love man. Don't get blinded by your hatred of Mack to not give respect to a great football team.

Are they title contenders? Probably not. We'll see after OU. Stoops has had Texas' number for years. Let's wait and see how things go.

ive never said that i like mackovic.....never once. Didnt like UT when he was there. I'm just tired of them being ranked high every year. Who cares about beating LSU in a bowl two years ago. And yes I knew that...I was on the sidelines at the Cotton Bowl for that one. That shouldnt have any bearing on their ranking this year. Freaking beat OU. Beat Colorado every year. Beat Kansas State every year. Beat Arkansas every year. Dont get 60-something put on you by anybody...especially in your biggest game of the year

kaorder1999
09-13-2004, 01:05 PM
but hey...im totally cool with UT getting beat a couple times every year. Doesnt hurt my feelings one bit. Just leave the excuses at home once UT loses.....and then loses again....and maybe again

JasperDog94
09-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Find where I've made excuses. Last year Arkansas outplayed Texas. Just like OU has done the past several years. That disappoints me, but hey that's the way it goes sometimes.