PDA

View Full Version : Old Cardinal top 20 Poll(read it and weep; cry or smile, rant or agree-your choice!)

Old Cardinal
09-11-2004, 01:39 PM
3A as of 9-11-04(sorry I posted the wrong date)
#1 Jasper
#2 WO-S
#3 Barbers Hill
#4 Navasota
#5 Decatur
#6 Silsbee
#7 Columbia
#8 Manor
#9 Cuero
#10 Snyder
#11 Gilmer
#12 Wharton
#13 Carthage
#14 Marlin
#15 Kennedale
#16 Sweetwater
#17 Yoakum
#18 Sinton
#19 Palestine
#20 tie Perryton and Sealy

Let the cry-babying begin LOL:rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
09-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Why 9/1? :D

LH Panther Mom
09-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Oh, I almost forgot... :weeping: :foul: ;)

Keith7
09-11-2004, 01:56 PM
I would put decatur in the top 3.. thats the only thing i'd change

PPHSfan
09-11-2004, 01:57 PM
HOMER:D

Chris Hart
09-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Old Card, you only have Reg III taking the top 8 spots(excluding Decatur-The clear cut #1)? I thought you could easily round out a top 20 from reg III. Is Reg III that weak this year?:D :rolleyes: :p

WOS1
09-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I would put decatur in the top 3.. thats the only thing i'd change

Keith, give us some info on the game... Is Decatur that good or did Gainesville have a bad game? Turnovers? Is the Decatur QB as good as advertised?

Keith7
09-11-2004, 02:21 PM
I didn't go.. i live out of state, but from the reports it sounds like Decatur is definently a top 3 team.. Gainesville didnt have a good game, thats why the score was such a blow out.. i think if Gainesville played to there top potential at this point of the season, it would be a closer game, with decatur winning.. From the people I talked to in gainesville who saw the game, Decatur's Dane and Christian, were more impressive then the old Daughtry/Krebs duo.. I guess we'll see how things work out thru the season.. but i really believe Decatur is a top 3 team.. thats the best i can tell u.. I think Gainesville has an all district line backer injured too (not that that matters) but he was an anchor of our defense last year and if he is injured, i'm sure Gainesville looks forward to getting him back

Pball
09-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Palestine beat Carthage last week by 11 points.:confused:

Dugoutcoach
09-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Great response Chris! I thought "The State of Texas IS Region III Old Cardinal" ate enough "Old Crow" last year, now I think he has taken to drinking it!!!

Old Cardinal
09-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Well 10 out of 20 are outside of Region III.,?? That's about all I could do! LOL.. Seriously, If you look at polls-origination locations it is always this way. I think it has to do with the fact that no matter how much we check out info, we tend to know a little more info and history about the teams in decending concentric circles from the distance of your home location. That is why the valley, deep West Texas, the panhandle-- seem to get less clout. Even the south plains and some areas of East Texas gets a little less notice...I like to look at the teams that I know a little about just like everyone else. In the past the DWF, Dallas Morning News crowd, etc:, were in total control of posting all their teams in elevated spots on the only DWF polls that existed. It is getting a little less prevailent lately. There are a lot of polls out across Texas now. I can assure you that , like-- Barbers Hill-- would never make a poll out of DWF; but I know good and well they have beaten some stout teams so far. It's just fun to see how folks digest the data on these teams to build a poll.

Old Cardinal
09-11-2004, 04:44 PM
To Pball, I realize that. However, I remember when Cornel Thompson had Palestine rolling in the first of his coaching career as their Head Coach and then grades came along and he could hardly field a team he had lost so many. If Palestine's ballplayers survive the first school reports coming out, I would gladly move them way up the poll on the performance they have made so far. Maybe that is a weird way to look at a poll but I took that possibility or contingency into consideration.

Old Cardinal
09-11-2004, 04:49 PM
nm

Pball
09-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Old Cardinal,

When Cornell was coaching at Palestine his record was
2001 2-8-0 103-221 , which I could hardly call rolling.

As for the grades, I guess I have never seen a poll that took the possibility of players being ineligible because of grades into account. Especially if this information is predicated on something that may have happened three years ago. Although I do agree that it can be a factor for any team, it won’t be for this team. Anyway, its your rankings…......... and I have cried enough LOL

venomous tat2
09-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the love!!

Old Cardinal
09-12-2004, 02:55 PM
I see the DWF/north Tx crowd are clammering for Decatur to be #1. If Decatur falls, they will clammer for someone else up there. Jasper skunked a big 4a and WO-S lost to the best team in 4A by a score of 17-0! Now Decatur gave up 21 points to a listless FW Dunbar that is still reeling from a 4-7 season last year. Jasper and WO-S are clear cuts favorites above Decatur. There are several other Reg. IV and Reg. III teams that could easily top Decatur, in my opinion.

PPHSfan
09-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Wouldn't those be "decending concentric 1/4 circles" since to your South is the Gulf of Mexico and to your East is Louisiana?:D

MASH4077
09-12-2004, 04:17 PM
That listless Dunbar team played Everman 6-0 until late 3rd qtr before falling 21-0.

bb04
09-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Cuero from tied for 2nd to 9....could you explain this. Yes, they did up give up 55, but this was to a very talented Wharton team who i think is the best 0-2 team in 3a by far. I think they could put up close to that on a lot of teams in 3a

Old Cardinal
09-12-2004, 06:57 PM
I am sure Cuero and Wharton were very evenly matched. If I understood right, Wharton went for two to win by one point and did not make it; are Cuero would have lost the ballgame. I would commend the Wharton coaching staff because they could have gone to O.T. That takes guts: at least they tried. It was a very good game and a good experience for a preseason game. I would be interesting as to who would win between those two by playoff time...

PhiI C
09-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Old Cardinal is entitled to his opinion on the top teams and I admire him for stating it on this thread. We may not agree with everything but he has the right to his opinion and express it. Keep on Old!

PhiI C
09-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Regarding Wharton and Cuero I don't know if they would have gone into overtime because some of these early non-district non-playoff games the coaches agree that if it is tied then that is the way it end and no overtime which makes sense because of the injury risk situation. Even though they lost Wharton is to be commeneded for going for the win in my opinion. Plus one points aren't always automatic.

Keith7
09-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I see the DWF/north Tx crowd are clammering for Decatur to be #1. If Decatur falls, they will clammer for someone else up there. Jasper skunked a big 4a and WO-S lost to the best team in 4A by a score of 17-0! Now Decatur gave up 21 points to a listless FW Dunbar that is still reeling from a 4-7 season last year. Jasper and WO-S are clear cuts favorites above Decatur. There are several other Reg. IV and Reg. III teams that would easily top Decatur, in my opinion.

you've never even seen decatur.. you are a nerd:nerd:

Old Cardinal
09-12-2004, 09:39 PM
To Phil C.: I appreciate you. I like a few others do a lot of research and talk to a lot of people and find a joy in formulating an opinion. It always amazes me that others don't venture to express a statement of their research for fear of being ridiculed. This is a great message board and folks should be mature enough to state their football opinions without having to put up with a lot. I would hope many more folks would express their opinions on here. That is what it's all about.

sirhc11
09-12-2004, 09:41 PM
In my opinion there is no way in heck Sweetwater is a top 20 team. If that is so then Clyde should be in there as they are going to beat them and Merkel by the time district is over.

PPHSfan
09-12-2004, 09:45 PM
I noticed that the "best team in 4A" is also a Golden Triangle team.:D

I bet Katy, Humble, and GPNS, are all better than Southlake Carroll too.:D

stangcenter60
09-12-2004, 09:50 PM
ouch that hurts sirhc11.......i could care less honestly cuz the only poll that ever matters in the end is the last one...nobody will remember who made the top 20 in week 3 when that state game is over and that one team...whoever it may be....is celebrating....

LH Panther Mom
09-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by stangcenter60
ouch that hurts sirhc11.......i could care less honestly cuz the only poll that ever matters in the end is the last one...nobody will remember who made the top 20 in week 3 when that state game is over and that one team...whoever it may be....is celebrating....

:clap: :clap:

Old Cardinal
09-12-2004, 09:58 PM
PPHS: Get your Texas map out, Bay City is down past Houston quite a ways south. Their win over WO-S will move them from #2 to #1 in most 4A polls. Did Pilot Point win last week?

sirhc11
09-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Nothing pesonal Stangcenter60. I am looking forward to a good game against ya'll.

PPHSfan
09-12-2004, 10:11 PM
PPHS: Get your Texas map out, Bay City is down past Houston quite a ways south. Their win over WO-S will move them from #2 to #1 in most 4A polls. Did Pilot Point win last week?

I know where Bay City is. I was just egsagerating the size of the Triangle a bit.

Yes Pilot Point did win last week. And the week before. But I don't remember mentioning Pilot Point, or was that just a cheap shot. Last time I looked Pilot Point was ahead of Bridge City in the polls. :)

Keith7
09-12-2004, 10:12 PM

lol.. the win over WO-S isnt what will move them into 1st.. its a loss by Ennis that will move them into number 1.. i may not know much about 4A but i do know that the number 1 4A team should beat ANY 3A team by way more then 17...

mark my word and if i'm wrong at the end of the season, then make sure to let me hear it.. but Bay City will not win state

Eagles52
09-12-2004, 10:46 PM
I think that its a little too early to put Barbers Hill in the top 3, after Diboll and Columbia (our next two opponents) we will have a much better idea of how good we really are. And I was told that Carthage moved up to 4a but clearly I'm mistaken? And this is the team that beat Diboll last week right?

Underwater Basketweaver
09-13-2004, 07:32 AM
As I have stated before, I don't much care for polls. I like looking at them, to see what others are thinking, but I really don't like arguing them. It seems to me that it is a never ending discussion. Even at the end of the season, when someone is the state champions, and the legitimate No. 1, there will be arguments. Well if this team had played this team at a different time, or if this team had to take the same route to the state championship it might have been different. Like I said I like looking at polls, but really it comes down to who plays the best football in the last 5 games of the year Div I or 6 for Div II. And really it doesn't even have to be the best football, as long as they play well enough to win for 5 or 6 consecutive weeks. Just be glad we aren't discussing the college polls where it actually matters.

JasperDog94
09-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Yes Pilot Point did win last week. You sure about that?

PPHSfan
09-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
You sure about that?

YEP,

I know the difference between this week, last week, the week before, and next week.

I also know that Sunday is the last day of the week, Monday is the first day of the week.

Any other questions?