PDA

View Full Version : WFHS 21, Vernon 7

Da Mules
09-10-2004, 11:40 PM
All the heavy hitters takin licks tonight..
I made a typo that was WFHS 27, Vernon 7

Chief Woodman
09-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Sorry about the loss Z.

VERNONLION#1
09-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Sorry about the loss Z.

We played very poorly on offense tonight. Defense kept us in the game. Congrats to Decatur.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Vernon's troubles are many:

1) Too many fumbles. They fumbled 8 times giving up 3 of them.

2) Offensive line play has to improve. They played terrible tonight. Qb was running for his life.

3) Penalties too costly. Too many mental errors.

4) Too many players going both ways. The defense wore out in the second half. Players going both ways include: Schur, Wietner, Hall, Favors, Bodine, Cook, Sparkman, Craighead, and Zamora. They are all not two way starters but they all get plenty of playing time. Too much of it.

5) Special teams is as bad as I have ever seen. They had a kickoff return for a TD and they had a punt blocked for a Touchdown. That was 14 points there. The offense fumbled on their own 12 yard line on the 3rd play of teh game. That TD has to go against the offense. So there is 21 points. Old High's offense in so many words, earned 1 TD tonight. Vernon's offense earned 1 TD tonight.

Too many mistakes, terrible play by the offensive line, the Qb play has to get better, and they have to hold on to the ball.

At this point Vernon is no where close to what they were last year. Top 10 team in the state? Not even close.

vet93
09-11-2004, 12:57 AM
Sorry about the loss Z...but now is the time to find the weaknesses when there is time to correct them. Sometimes a painful loss can be a great tool for future success. Everything you mentioned is fixable!

Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Vernon's troubles are many:

1) Too many fumbles. They fumbled 8 times giving up 3 of them.

2) Offensive line play has to improve. They played terrible tonight. Qb was running for his life.

3) Penalties too costly. Too many mental errors.

4) Too many players going both ways. The defense wore out in the second half. Players going both ways include: Schur, Wietner, Hall, Favors, Bodine, Cook, Sparkman, Craighead, and Zamora. They are all not two way starters but they all get plenty of playing time. Too much of it.

5) Special teams is as bad as I have ever seen. They had a kickoff return for a TD and they had a punt blocked for a Touchdown. That was 14 points there. The offense fumbled on their own 12 yard line on the 3rd play of teh game. That TD has to go against the offense. So there is 21 points. Old High's offense in so many words, earned 1 TD tonight. Vernon's offense earned 1 TD tonight.

Too many mistakes, terrible play by the offensive line, the Qb play has to get better, and they have to hold on to the ball.

At this point Vernon is no where close to what they were last year. Top 10 team in the state? Not even close.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-11-2004, 01:52 AM
I agree Vet and I'm not jumping ship just yet. I guess it has to do with discipline. Their defense has kept them in each game this year. But the fumbles and penalties have been plentiful in each of these three games. Vernon is lucky to not be sitting 0-3 right now. Old High is a decent 4A team...but not a great one. They did have a good defense, but their offense was average. So when Vernon runs up against a Graham or Decatur type the D is going to give up more than 7 points. The Offense is going to have to improve and I mean big time.

The jury is still out on these boys. If they can fix just the fumbles and penalties they can produce the long time consuming West Texas drives. Otherwise the defense gets worn out and they give up too many points.

VWG
09-11-2004, 01:05 PM
I for one don't see a problem...
3rd game of the season, after beating Springtown 4A and Altus, OK.
Vernon, or anybody could lose one or two more games as long as they come together for district that is all that matters. Yes, you want to see corrections on the mistakes they are making but I see Vernon as a formidable team down the stretch. Hide and watch the Lions, they will be heard from.