PDA

View Full Version : Aggies Take Lead In Lone Star Cup 0.5 to 0

PhiI C
09-10-2004, 11:30 PM
As the Aggies beat the Lady Longhorns 3 to 1 in a good soccer game played in Aggieland! Hope those that were in the area and weren't at a football game got to see the action. Unless they meet in the playoffs this is the only time these two teams will meet this year I belive. Aggies need only 9.5 more points to win the first Lone Star Cup ever!

texasjeremy
09-10-2004, 11:34 PM
They have already started Big 12 play? Baylor beat TCU 5-2 tonight. It was 5-0 at the half (BU outshooting TCU 18-2) before they pulled all of their starters.

AggieJohn
09-11-2004, 02:54 AM
Yeah, a&m set a record in attendance for the fourth time this year with 5300 or so in attendance...i need to upgrade my sports pass

PhiI C
09-11-2004, 06:22 PM
You sure do ex! Those Aggie ladies are worth watching! A good team!

PhiI C
09-12-2004, 12:29 AM
I made a mistake in my title. The score should be A&M leading 1 to 0. The soccer teams only meet once during the year instead of two so it counts as one point. Now some of the teams like the men's basketball teams meet twice and each win is worth 0.5 points but since soccer only once it is worth one point. This means that A&M is only 9 points ahead from winning the competition this year instead of 9.5 points.

PhiI C
09-12-2004, 12:51 AM
There are nineteen sports involved in the competition and each one is worth one point. The teams meet one time in football, women's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis, men's swimming and diving, and women's swimming and diving which are worth one point each for each winner for 6 points. The two teams meet twice in men's basketball, women's basketball, women's softball, and women's volleyball which are worth 0.5 points for each event and total 4. In baseball the teams meet 3 times and whoever wins at least 2 out of three gets the point. The remaining points are one each for men's golf, women's golf, men's indoor track and field, women's indoor track and field, men's outdoor track and field, women's outdoor track and field, men's cross country, and women's cross country. The two teams don't meet head to head in the latter eight events above but the winner is the one who places higher at the Big Twelve championship gets the point. Also if an event is a tie the schools split the point.

PhiI C
09-12-2004, 08:17 PM
If the competition had been held last year UT would have won. I researched available results and got a score of 11.5 for UT and 3.5 for the Aggies. Four points I couldn't account for because I couldn't find the results and that was for the Men and Women Golf and the Men and Women Cross Country. Since it takes ten points to win UT would have won last year. This is important for now and in future years because if by chance the two teams tie at 9.5 each the cup remains with the prior outright winner even though it is a tie.