PDA

View Full Version : Cuero 56 Wharton 55

Da Mules
09-10-2004, 11:09 PM
apparently this was played with 6-man rules!!! Cureo squeaks out a win.. and after Gainesville crashed & burned; WHO's gonna be the NEW #1:thinking:

JasperDog94
09-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Was this an overtime game?

BIG19
09-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Talk about a shoot out! I am guessing that there was no defense on either team. Any win is a good win. Keep rolling Cuero!

sinfan75
09-10-2004, 11:13 PM
WOW!!

LH Panther Mom
09-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Good job, Cuero!

SintonFan
09-10-2004, 11:24 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
This was a grudge match I bet.
56-55?
I wish I had seen that!!!!!!!!
Congratulations Gobblers!:)

44INAROW
09-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by BIG19
Talk about a shoot out! I am guessing that there was no defense on either team. Any win is a good win. Keep rolling Cuero!

WOW..... all I can say is WOW.. What a game. I wouldn't say neither team has a defense.. but both teams have great offenses....

District303aPastPlayer
09-10-2004, 11:31 PM
is this a basketball thread?

JettJenkins04
09-10-2004, 11:32 PM
That is what Wharton gets for not having any class and talking all of that mess the day before. Great Win Cuero, keep up the good work and good luck next week. To Wharton, keep practicing tough loss.

JasperDog94
09-10-2004, 11:42 PM
Did both teams just leave their offenses on the field the entire game or what?

Old Green
09-10-2004, 11:42 PM
You guys won't believe this game.I knew this game would be like this.

Both teams offenses could not be stopped. Cuero opened the game recieving the kickoff. Wharton held them 4 and out.
Tigers take possession and score first.
From there it was trading touchdowns. Wharton scored their last td with 31 seconds left in the 1st half. The score was 35 - 28 Wharton.

Wharton recieved the second half kickoff. For the first time Cuero's defense held. The Gobblers scored to tie the score 35 - 35. This is the first of three times the Gobblers would hold the Tigers. The Gobblers would score two more touchdowns to take a 49 - 35 lead.

That's when the fun Started. Wharton's Qb Trey jones answered with two more passing Tds. Let me tell Qb Trey Jones is virtually unstopable.
Cuero Answered with another td with about 2:48 left on the clock.
Wharton scored again on a Run with 51 seconds left in the fourth to make the score 56 - 55. Wharton went for two to win the game,but a Gobbler defender knocked it down in the end zone to preserve the win.

Wharton played a fantastic game . They are big and fast and very talented. Trey Jones and his recievers the best I have seen.

Congrats to Wharton and Cuero on another well played game.

JasperDog94
09-10-2004, 11:50 PM
That's a rather interesting call to go for two at the end of the game vs. going into OT.

Old Green
09-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Did both teams just leave their offenses on the field the entire game or what?
I don't know Jasperdog.

We couldn't stop their spread attack and they could not stop our runing offense. The speed of these 2 teams is awesome. One missed tackle and they are gone in for the tds.

Really I beleive that it was a matchup of two equal teams.

Chief Woodman
09-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Just standing up and down during each score would have worn me out. Bet the defenses get some work this week.

shankbear
09-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Yup, went to a track meet and a football game broke out.!!!! I would have loved to have seen that game.

SintonFan
09-11-2004, 12:09 AM
I know this is the third game of the season but, Wharton is not in a down year IMHO.:eek:
I've been high on Cuero for many reasons.:thinking:

Specklebelly
09-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
That's a rather interesting call to go for two at the end of the game vs. going into OT.

Its the right call to make by Wharton's coaching staff. Why go to OT in a non district game and just wear your team out even more? The correct call is to go for 2 and try to win the game. If you dont get it, tough loss but you move on and it wont come back to haunt you like a one point district loss might.

I knew this would be a good game. Great win for Cuero.

44INAROW
09-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by shankbear
Yup, went to a track meet and a football game broke out.!!!! I would have loved to have seen that game.

lol My dad used to use that expression. It was a great football game..

JettJenkins04
09-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Sounds like a great game. I know personally how fast and good both teams are. Great win Cuero, and good luck next week.

UTFootBall#1
09-11-2004, 12:43 AM
Damn What a game!!!....Both of these teams offenses were just outstanding....Cueros running back is STOUT he is a tough son of a gun he reminds me alot of the running back Spears from Altair Rice last year....damn and as far as Wharton the Qb and Reciever are damn good.....in my opinion both of these teams are the same and what a game it would be should these teams meet in playoffs again....damn i knew it would be a good game...All the games I have gone to are good haha.....hey Old GReen i barely read recently what u wrote i had been busy all day with baseball n school......HOWEVER....both of these teams defenses need to get better.....Cuero seems balanced with a pass and run game...Wharton seemed like mainly a passing team coming out of shotgun but they make up for the running game when their QB scrambles...Cuero's Qb also likes to scramble.....good game..good thing i chose this game instead of seeing Marlin massacre Bellville..haha peace

RiverRatDad
09-11-2004, 12:48 AM
WOW! What a great game. This was a DC's nightmare. #42 for Cuero was unstopable, and Wharton's OL gave Jones the time he needed all night long, and he picked apart Cuero's defense. Very few penalties, the teams just played their guts out all night long. Congrats Cuero on a very exciting win. I hope we go D2 and don't have to meet you again. Thank you to the Cuero crowd, you once again proved to me what a class act you are. Good luck Wharton, You made me believe you are the best 0-2 team in 3A. GO TIGERS!

gamers
09-11-2004, 01:03 AM
What a game!! That was even better than what I expected. Cuero has a deadly running attack and Wharton's offense was making a lot of big plays. What I liked was that it wasn't a sloppy game. Both offenses just dominated the whole game. If the defenses improve a little, boh of these teams are going to be tough outs in the playoffs.
I was at the game and I like Coach Robert's call to go for 2 points at the end. In a game like that, neither team really loses. The record shows it, but I like the fact that he tried to win it in regulation. Both teams really deserved to win that game. I enjoy seeing good, hard fought high school games.
The Wharton kids did a great job playing in a tough environment. They were picked to get beat by 26 points as well. I think people will take notice of the Tigers from here on out. They are 0-2, but their first two opponents were TOUGH. I can guarantee that plenty of 3A teams are much more worried about the Tigers now than they were before. The rest of the season looks promising for Wharton. GREAT job tonight guys, it was quite a show.

crabman
09-11-2004, 01:11 AM
FYI Over 1140 yards of offense. In spite of that, believe it or not, the defenses did not play bad. Whartons passing versus Cuero's running. Both were simply unstoppable. BTW Jones is an absolute stud at QB.

scrub c
09-11-2004, 01:12 AM
YUK, Wharton is in our district.....
and if we are lucky (i mean lucky) enough to make the playoffs we will probablly get Cureo in the first round.(come on gonzales)

LogieJoeBean001
09-11-2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by JettJenkins04
That is what Wharton gets for not having any class and talking all of that mess the day before. Great Win Cuero, keep up the good work and good luck next week. To Wharton, keep practicing tough loss.

Jett, I guess you didn't read the post where the "Coach" told everyone that Trey Jones was not the one who posted that smash mouth post! I doubt the young man even had access to a computer at that time of day since it was posted during school hours when he would have been in class. That was not Jones's style. That post was not from anyone in Wharton at all. Whoever posted that accomplished exactly what they wanted, I guess, and that was to make Trey Jones and the community of Wharton look bad!

Now, that said, on to the game. This was an awesome game. There were several times I had to leave the stands, I was so nervous. It's been a long time since I've seen such a slug fest. In a way this was a win for Wharton since no other teams Cuero has played, up to this point, had even scored a point against them and Wharton was able to put up 55. Great job to both teams. I hope Wharton's toughest games are behind them and it's off to the winner's circle from here on out. First El Campo, an outstanding 4a team, and now Cuero. Good luck the rest of the season Gobblers. Now Tigers, you go guys. You've shown you can hang with the best. You guys are #1 with me. Just go out and play THAT kind of ball all the rest of the way and you guys will go VERY far into the playoffs! (Hopefully D2, Wharton is classified as small school 3a now!)

LogieJoeBean001
09-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I know this is the third game of the season but, Wharton is not in a down year IMHO.:eek:
I've been high on Cuero for many reasons.:thinking:

This was only Wharton's second game of the season. We were off last week!

Gobbler Fan
09-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Great game by 2 outstanding teams . No losers in this one both represented thier schools with class and heart which is why I love High School football.

Keep it rolling Gobblers .......GO MEAN GREEN ! :clap:

Old Green
09-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by UTFootBall#1
Damn What a game!!!....Both of these teams offenses were just outstanding....Cueros running back is STOUT he is a tough son of a gun he reminds me alot of the running back Spears from Altair Rice last year....damn and as far as Wharton the Qb and Reciever are damn good.....in my opinion both of these teams are the same and what a game it would be should these teams meet in playoffs again....damn i knew it would be a good game...All the games I have gone to are good haha.....hey Old GReen i barely read recently what u wrote i had been busy all day with baseball n school......HOWEVER....both of these teams defenses need to get better.....Cuero seems balanced with a pass and run game...Wharton seemed like mainly a passing team coming out of shotgun but they make up for the running game when their QB scrambles...Cuero's Qb also likes to scramble.....good game..good thing i chose this game instead of seeing Marlin massacre Bellville..haha peace Glad you could make it UTFootBalll#1. You ought to come down Sept. 24 for the Sinton -Cuero game.:)

LogieJoeBean001
09-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Great game by 2 outstanding teams . No losers in this one both represented thier schools with class and heart which is why I love High School football.

Keep it rolling Gobblers .......GO MEAN GREEN ! :clap:

You got that right, GobblerFan. There were no losers in last nights game. It is such a shame that someone had to lose, score wise. Our boys certainly have nothing to hang their heads about after what I witnessed last night! I don't believe I have EVER seen a Wharton team play with that much heart and determination before.

Thanks for all of the good words from all of the Gobbler fans. It is a good feeling to be respected by such a fine, classy group of folks with a quality team. It was also a good feeling to make such a strong showing against such a good, highly ranked team as yours. I'm guessing that's why our pre-season is crammed full of some pretty tough teams. It will hopefully get our guys ready for the road ahead of them once they hit district play. If they play the rest of their season like they did last night, I feel they will do just fine and go further than just district. And for the "Polls" people, how about reconsidering just where Wharton should place in all of this. I know we don't have a win yet, but with last nights showing shouldn't they be given credit for the job that they did do? Do you have to have wins in order to be considered an outstanding team? They have been playoff contenders now for, let me see...is it three or four years now. Each time they have adavanced just a little farther. There seems to always be a few "sleeper" teams that no one pays any attention to until they really come up and bite someone on the backside. Maybe that will be Wharton this year!

GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

Thanks Gobbler fans for all of your hospitality. You were great.

Dugoutcoach
09-11-2004, 03:11 PM
"IT" being the challenge presented to Wharton High School athletes by the coaching philosophy of "playing up" during pre-district competition. Since Wharton returned to 3a, the road to becoming a perrenial state recognized athletic powerhouse is marked with consecutive appearances in post-season competition by virtually all of the school's sports teams. The most notable being the Wharton Lady Tigers Softball Team's appearance in the last two state tournaments, finishing second in the state this year. Last night's Cuero football game along with the hard fought game earlier this year against 4a El Campo exemplifies the worthiness of the "playing up" philosophy as it prepares the Tigers for success in future district play. Look for an exciting and successful "district run" as the "toughened by experience" Tigers pursue their quest for dominance at the state level.
GOOD LUCK TIGERS - WE ARE ENJOYING "THE RIDE"!!!
(I didn't make the trip to Cuero but had the pleasure of "living the game" through the colorful commentary of "The Greg and Donald Show" - with "Spot" - on local cable channel 43, Thanks for the gritty, unbridled account Guys!)

18handicap
09-11-2004, 03:16 PM
I guess the Wharton DC (also the SB coach and a good friend) could have used that awesome SS he had for the past 4 years in this game to play some defense!!! lol lol

Sounds like a great game. Guess I'll have to call DO and get the scoop on it...

LogieJoeBean001
09-11-2004, 09:07 PM
I heard today that our boys WANTED to go for the 2 point conversion at the end of this game. Is that heart, guts and determination for you or what! I was also glad to hear that the guys were not holding their heads down but were upbeat about this game. This bunch has got to have the most character of any Wharton team that I have seen in a long time. They were at the field house Thursday night to congratulate their comrades on the JV on their fine game against Cuero, which was a 38-38 tie. I was also told that no varsity team had ever done this before. The JV was also against another Cuero team (JV) that I understand hadn't been scored on yet this season either. That game was just as exciting as the varsity game. Hope this means that the future is very bright for the Tigers for the rest of this season and for several years to come! Pull it all together guys and you can do this thing! If any of you guys read this, or the coaches, please know this. You have made us all so proud. I've talked to many people and everyone is so excited for you. You could never imagine how much everyone is pulling for you and how proud you have made us all! Good job Tigers on a game well played with class, poise, heart and dedication!

GO BIG BLUE!

UTFootBall#1
09-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Would any of yall by chance have Stats on this game...i gotta write a paper for my kinesiology class and i wanted to write it about the Cuero Wharton game and i need some Stats!!..thanks

RiverRatDad
09-12-2004, 05:09 PM
UTFOOTBALL#1, check your PM's

SintonFan
09-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by LogieJoeBean001
This was only Wharton's second game of the season. We were off last week!

I know this is the third game of the season but, Wharton is not in a down year IMHO.
I've been high on Cuero for many reasons.
lol
I meant this is week three...:)
I'm still "up" on Cuero. I think this is their year. Wharton was supposed to be down this year according to some.:o

LogieJoeBean001
09-13-2004, 10:21 AM
lol
I meant this is week three...:)
I'm still "up" on Cuero. I think this is their year. Wharton was supposed to be down this year according to some.:o

I think those "some" were given something to think about after Friday night's game with Cuero.:D

IHStangFan
09-13-2004, 11:45 AM
congrats Cuero...i knew you guys would pull it off! :clap:

LogieJoeBean001
09-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Nevermind!
:( :rolleyes: :doh:

whrtntig1
09-13-2004, 03:25 PM
What happened to pavillion? He sure is quiet!!!:D

cuerofootball1
09-13-2004, 07:25 PM
what happened to whartonqb11 he sure is quiet too

pavilion
09-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by whrtntig1
What happened to pavillion? He sure is quiet!!!:D

yeah whats up? i said cuero would win and they did... everything else i said was just stupid crap i was making up... and if u paid any attention to other threads ive been saying wharton is an awesome team and deserve to be ranked

LogieJoeBean001
09-14-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by cuerofootball1
what happened to whartonqb11 he sure is quiet too

Just like Cuero has been having some posters on here talking crap, this was just another example of that. The original post was NOT from Wharton's qb at all! The original post was during school hours! This was just some jerk trying to start trouble or don't you get it. Wharton's qb has more class than that and would certainly not do anything to hurt his team or community. He's a class act all the way around. Wake up and realize what was going on. It's not even certain that this was even someone from Wharton. Anyone can register on here saying they are from anywhere, or don't you know that too! I've overlooked what the little jerks from Cuero are saying because I know they do not represent the whole community or fan base, why don't you do the same about the ONE post from whartonqb11. Common sense would tell you this was a fly by night post from someone just trying to stir up trouble. Wharton's qb went out and proved himself, in spite of that insipid post!

Johnnypaycheck
09-14-2004, 09:05 AM
did i hear that the wharton head coach took a bow in front of the fans at halftime? was there truth to that rumor, if so, that is classic!

NHSRattler60
09-14-2004, 09:26 AM
Those werent school hours....i was already home from practice, unless your school hours go past 8:00

LogieJoeBean001
09-14-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Johnnypaycheck
did i hear that the wharton head coach took a bow in front of the fans at halftime? was there truth to that rumor, if so, that is classic!

Not true. I didn't see it happen.

LogieJoeBean001
09-14-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by NHSRattler60
Those werent school hours....i was already home from practice, unless your school hours go past 8:00

It was posted during school hours because I WAS sitting here at school reading it that very day. Just like right now!