PDA

View Full Version : Decatur / Gainesville thriller

Chief Woodman
09-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Decatur 58 Gainesville 23 ouch:inlove:

Bulldog_12
09-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Very ouch for Gainesville. who will be number one now? hmmmm.

JasperDog94
09-10-2004, 10:36 PM
HOLY COW!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Are you even serious???

JasperDog94
09-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Very ouch for Gainesville. who will be number one now? hmmmm. At this point who would want it?

Bulldog_12
09-10-2004, 10:38 PM
I would, I want to be number one. ive never been number one. :(

LH Panther Mom
09-10-2004, 10:38 PM
:eek: Tough loss, Gainesville.

Chief Woodman
09-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Dane 17 of 25 and 5 TD's 1 int
Christian 9 catches 177 yards 3 TD

that was just the first half

j_dog
09-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Well, that establishes one point. What happened last year .............. doesn't count this year. But GV, I was pulling for you. Can't razz you any more now! :D

Chief Woodman
09-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Purvey (Gainnesville) 15 rushes 88 yards (5.9 a carry) ZERO TD
Godbolt (Decatur) 9 rushes 97 yards (10.8 a carry) 1 TD

spiveyrat
09-10-2004, 10:42 PM
WHOA!!! :eek:

VWG
09-10-2004, 10:47 PM
So was this game close or a blowout at halftime?

Greenbull
09-10-2004, 10:53 PM
14-14 Midway thru the 1st quarter...then the floodgates opened. I'm not sure but something like 41-14 at the half. 58-17 at the end of the 3rd.

VWG
09-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Greenbull
14-14 Midway thru the 1st quarter...then the floodgates opened. I'm not sure but something like 41-14 at the half. 58-17 at the end of the 3rd.

Not much defense played here....

jason
09-10-2004, 10:59 PM
cool

Keith7
09-10-2004, 11:00 PM
ouch.. thats bad

DawgFan91
09-10-2004, 11:01 PM
Surprise score of the week. Not necessarily the winner, but the final. Well, both defending champs have hung up a loss. So, have the pre-season #1 and #2. 3A football is awesome.

Hupernikomen
09-10-2004, 11:03 PM
I wish I could see Dane and Purvey play, sounds like they are real special players.

olddawggreen
09-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
ouch.. thats bad Kieth7, its a brand new season, you need to update your photos!;) ;) :D Congratulations Decatur!

Chris Hart
When your defense is all new, and you're going against a passing attack like Decatur has, I know this can't be that surprising to the Gainesville folk. Great game Decatur!

Keith7
Sounds like Decatur is definently a top team.. should be a good game the second time around

WOS92
09-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Way to go, Decatur! What was that remark Keith7 made about wanting to be there to chant "OVERRATED... OVERRATED?"

Keith7
09-10-2004, 11:07 PM
we werent ranked number 1 and i wasnt claiming that we were going to win state either or that we were even going to beat decatur.. you can't be over rated if you werent rated to begin with

Keith7
09-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman

dang that must mean that godbolt is better then purvey huh?

WOS92
09-10-2004, 11:11 PM
WO-S fans never claimed we'd win state, either, but you still made the comment. Weren't you guys in the top 10? I'd still say that's overrated after tonight.
After all, "you're only as good as your last game."

Greenbull
09-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Decatur is the real thing. I have been somewhat skeptical of their offense, but after seeing them twice, I'm a believer. Christian can catch anything thrown near him, and (in my opinion) he makes Dane a better passer.

But remember, if everything plays out, Gainesville and Decatur will meet in the second round of the playoffs (assuming Gainesville gets by Graham). Gainesville is young and they can only get better. Should be a great rematch.

Keith7
09-10-2004, 11:13 PM
yea you are only as good as your last game, so obviously we have some work to do

Chief Woodman
09-10-2004, 11:21 PM
dang that must mean that godbolt is better then purvey huh?
Not by any stretch of the mind. Yet Godbolt is pretty good considering he was playing hurt. Purvey looked like a heck of a athlete. Just hard to get yards when several guys get to you at once. Decatur's defensive speed is alot better than some folks think. Also remember that the coaches may have pulled some punches tonight.

Greenbull
09-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Chief, you hit the nail on the head. Decatur's speed on defense is really something to watch....and they all think they are supposed to meet at the ball!

And again...my opinion...didn't Gainesville call it quits by halftime? Didn't see that much of Purvey in the second half and kicking field goals in the 3rd?

Hupernikomen
09-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Not by any stretch of the mind. Yet Godbolt is pretty good considering he was playing hurt. Purvey looked like a heck of a athlete. Just hard to get yards when several guys get to you at once. Decatur's defensive speed is alot better than some folks think. Also remember that the coaches may have pulled some punches tonight.

Yeah Shipley made McGee a better passer too...but he was still pretty awesome regardless.

Chief Woodman
09-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Looked to me that both teams kind of slacked off in the second half. Dane only threw 2 passes (1 TD) then he a Christian went to handing off and sitting down. Purvey only carried the ball 2 times in the second half for 4 yards. He got absolutely stuffed by the Decatur "D" from the 3 yard line. By the way...still no TD's scored on Decatur when Christian is in the game. Too much speed and pass coverage ability.

GS#17
09-10-2004, 11:35 PM
we werent ranked number 1

Actually, check out Matthew_328's poll. He has G'ville #1...

Keith7
09-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
Actually, check out Matthew_328's poll. He has G'ville #1...
thats the only poll

Keith7
09-10-2004, 11:47 PM

real stats.. have your Godbolt stats right.. but Gainesville's looked more like this... Terrius Purvey 16-98, Jerome Hewitt 13-94

Chief Woodman
09-11-2004, 12:11 AM
My bad on the stats...those I kept for myself at the game. That means purvey got 10 yards against our 3rd string d Forgot to mention...Godbolt 1 reception 26 yards TD...he got 2 TD's tonight. Sorry for the mistake again.

westTXbest
09-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Did Purvey look very good?

Underwater Basketweaver
09-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by westTXbest

Well, for the 20 or so plays he did manage to stay in the game without cramping on the sidelines, nope. He looked like he was gassed after the first quarter.

Chief Woodman
09-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by westTXbest
Yes he did......had runs of 13, 13, 14, 12, and 26. Got stuffed for losses 6 times including one run from the 3 yard line. He is fast, but with Christian on the field the Decatur "D" has 3 guys just as fast. On the 26 yard run he got caught from behind....OOPS!

WOS Mustang
09-11-2004, 12:18 AM
I thought Purvey was a one man show and could block, run score, tackle, pass, kick, cheer, and play the flute. Looks like that philosophy doesn't work to well. Looks like he needs to be in the secondary.:confused:

Underwater Basketweaver
09-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by WOS Mustang
I thought Purvey was a one man show and could block, run score, tackle, pass, kick, cheer, and play the flute. Looks like that philosophy doesn't work to well. Looks like he needs to be in the secondary.:confused:

Funny thing is he did play in the secondary tonight for about 5-10 plays over at corner, trying to get him against Christian a little bit I think. Didn't work. Caused him to be even more gassed, so he couldn't play offense.

Chief Woodman
09-11-2004, 12:20 AM

He did play in the secondary. Just couldn't cover Christian.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Ok I have to take some credit. I thought Decatur would win thsi one. I just didn't realize that their defense was that good. Congrats.

Chief:

Man did I make the wrong choice on games. Vernon looked terrible. I'm sure I'll get a Decatur game before it is over.

Underwater Basketweaver
09-11-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Ok I have to take some credit. I thought Decatur would win thsi one. I just didn't realize that their defense was that good. Congrats.

Chief:

Man did I make the wrong choice on games. Vernon looked terrible. I'm sure I'll get a Decatur game before it is over.

Really, who was Vernon playing, and what was the final score?

Chief Woodman
09-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2

Chief:

Heard about the loss. Sorry Z. Hope you guys do better next week. I hope we do to.

WOS Mustang
09-11-2004, 12:28 AM
How funny, I thought he was Priest Holmes or Ladanian Tomlinson the way everyone kisses his ***!! I do not doubt the kid is good, but I have been saying all along that a team cannot win it with 1 good back. Not saying that we will, just that I don't see them doing it again unless they hurry up and start recruiting!!

Underwater Basketweaver
09-11-2004, 12:33 AM
How funny, I thought he was Priest Holmes or Ladanian Tomlinson the way everyone kisses his ***!! I do not doubt the kid is good, but I have been saying all along that a team cannot win it with 1 good back. Not saying that we will, just that I don't see them doing it again unless they hurry up and start recruiting!!

I guess I should recant a bit. I do think he is a good running back. I saw him do some great things last year, but I just think he is out of shape and needs a few more games to get back in form. He did not seem like the all-world player tonight that I expected. I did however see flashes of what I saw last year from him.

Chief Woodman
09-11-2004, 12:34 AM
I don't think we should be getting on Purvey. He is VERY good. Just maybe some folks really did not think that Dane and Christian and company were "all that". Keith had reason to be proud last year, who can blame him? Don't read too much into this score...that Coach will work the fellas hard and this may be the wakeup call they needed. They now know that last year is last year and this year has to be earned.

By the way...the Decatur "O" line was improved this week...but still too much pressure on Dane. He looked like Houdini a couple of times.

Underwater Basketweaver
09-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Well, ladies and gents. I am going to bed. I hope you all had as much fun as we did on our side tonight. Good luck to the Gainesville Leopards the rest of the way. For us though, it was nice to be under everyone's radar while it lasted. I doubt seriously we will be under anything now.

Go Eagles!

WOS Mustang
09-11-2004, 12:40 AM
I am not getting on Purvey at all!! I would not get on any of the players. I am just saying they lost a lot from last year, and as in any team sport, you can't win it with one person. I am sure they have some more good players, they have to, it will just take them a while to get some experience under their belt. They will get better.

Keith7
09-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Purvey is the best running back in state, this was just 1 bad game against a very good defense.. and most people wouldnt consider 15-98 yards a bad game

WOS Mustang
09-11-2004, 12:49 AM
slow down and read!! I did not say he wasn't the best in the state (and didn't say he was either), I did not say he had a bad game, I simply said 1 person cannot beat 11 at that level of competition. A team has to be built around him, he cannot do it his self. Obviously this has not been done.

Chief Woodman
09-11-2004, 12:51 AM
Purvey is the best running back in state, this was just 1 bad game against a very good defense.. and most people wouldnt consider 15-98 yards a bad game

so would 9 rushes for 97 yards along with 1 catch for 26 yards and a TD be even better?

Hupernikomen
09-11-2004, 12:53 AM

Is he the top rated back in the state?

Keith7
09-11-2004, 01:05 AM
so would 9 rushes for 97 yards along with 1 catch for 26 yards and a TD be even better?

Yes.. thats a very good game.. good job

Keith7
09-11-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Is he the top rated back in the state?

He is Number 3, but the highest in 3A

Terrius Purvey's Recruiting report (http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=26465)

KTownBalla
09-11-2004, 01:56 AM
I am seriously shocked by the score discrepency

Chief Woodman
09-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by KTownBalla
I am seriously shocked by the score discrepency

I too was a little shocked. My shock was over the play of Gainesville, not the performance of Dane and company.

I have been saying here for two years that this duo is amazing. Lots of folks on this site called me homer. If Dane keeps up his current pace, he will be the number three passer in HS football history in Texas for ALL classifications. 2022 he had a broken foot and still came 1 yard away from beating a very talented Sweetwater team. Last year Decatur lost to a very talented Vernon squad (as your team found out) on a night with 30 MPH winds and the coaches calling 40 yard pass plays. The ball could not help but hang in the air.

Please do not think I am being a Homer when I tell you this team is very talented. Talent alone does not win state rings. It takes a little luck and staying relatively health. As the Eagles already know.

Underwater Basketweaver
09-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Not to sound contrary or anything, but I don't think the coaches were calling 40 yard pass plays. Every play has multiple routes at multiple levels. It is up to the receivers to run the correct ones and the QB to make the correct reads on those plays. It sounds to me as if this is a little bit of coach bashing concerning the Vernon game. It was a tough game against a tough team. We didn't win, but please don't blame the very people that have brought the winning tradition back to Decatur. I am sure the coaches would tell you that they win as a team and lose as a team. The team includes coaches, players, and periphery as well.

Chief Woodman
09-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Underwater Basketweaver
Not to sound contrary or anything, but I don't think the coaches were calling 40 yard pass plays. Every play has multiple routes at multiple levels. It is up to the receivers to run the correct ones and the QB to make the correct reads on those plays. It sounds to me as if this is a little bit of coach bashing concerning the Vernon game. It was a tough game against a tough team. We didn't win, but please don't blame the very people that have brought the winning tradition back to Decatur. I am sure the coaches would tell you that they win as a team and lose as a team. The team includes coaches, players, and periphery as well.

You are correct and I mant no offense to the coaches. I full well know that several key players made mistakes in those games. Sometimes not even running to the hole the play was designed for, running a wrong route, choosing the wrong reciever. This coaching staff could easily be sucessful in Div I college ball if they chose to. They have my upmost respect and support. Hey I've never coach a game in my life (Unless you count the old electric football games where the board vibrated)

That being said, we were not running the ball aginst the wind eating up the clock when we could have instead of calling passing plays that put the ball into the wind. The players did not call the plays, the coaches did. In fact the "O" line was begging to run the ball. The game situation result was too many short field situations that the talented Vernon team took advantage of. After turning the ball over 3 times because the players were not able to make the right plays, the coaches could have taken the mistake portion out of the players hands by running the ball until we had the wind at our backs. Yet if the way the coaches called the plays had worked out, everyone would be praising the coaches. I admit I am not near a smart as the coaches and this is not ment as coach bashing. It is just an observation that might be right or wrong. I AM NOT A COACH: JUST A DUMB OLE FIREMAN PRONE TO MAKE BAD OBSERVATIONS ABOUT FOOTBALL.

WOS1
09-11-2004, 02:31 PM
That Decatur squad is sounding ominously familiar to the 2000 Ennis team with Tate Wallis and co.

Keith7
09-11-2004, 02:45 PM
I wonder if Decatur would go for a trade... 5 JV starters for Chandler Dane

Keith7
09-11-2004, 03:33 PM
I just read that terrius only had 2 carrys after the second half (not that it would have mattered, the game was out of hand) but his stats would have been better.. i also read he was sick all week..

MASH4077
09-11-2004, 04:06 PM
He was sick of getting a helmet stuck in ribs! AND IMHO #20 was a better runner than #8.

Chief Woodman
09-11-2004, 05:21 PM
I just read that terrius only had 2 carrys after the second half (not that it would have mattered, the game was out of hand) but his stats would have been better.. i also read he was sick all week..
Sorry to hear he was ill Hope he is better soon. I would like to see him at full stride if last night was an off night for him. He still looked mighty impressive to me.