PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood's Higgins talkin Trash?

Curly
09-10-2004, 09:07 AM
By Oscar LeRoy
Sports Writer
Tonight's home opener against Sweetwater will have a special meaning for Blake Higgins. It was at Sweetwater last year when Higgins hurt his knee in the Rangers' 36-29 win. After that Higgins wasn't the same as he missed most of last season with a torn ACL.
"Right before the half they took a cheap shot from behind and they hit me right in the back of my knee," said Higgins, who will play fullback and linbacker for the Rangers tonight. "I'm looking for a little payback in this game. I know there are some guys coming back that I'm looking forward to playing against."
Higgins is usually a mild-mannered person but the 6-foot-2, 230-pound senior with a surgically repaired left knee knows that a win against Sweetwater (1-1) will go a long way into giving many of his young teammates some confidence.
"If we beat them again, they'll probably be ticked," Higgins said of Sweetwater. "I don't think they can take another loss against us."
Greenwood (0-1) has won the last three games of this series, including two in 2002 when the Rangers made it to the Class 3A Division II state championship. The last three meetings have been decided by seven points or less making this into a great non-district rivalry.
"Every game between the two schools has turned out to be a really great contest," Sweetwater coach Kent Jackson said. "To me it's more of a sense of respect built into this rivalry. When Sweetwater and Greenwood get together it doesn't matter what any one of us has done. I think fans are going to get their money's worth."
The respect Jackson is talking about comes from the fact that both teams have been known to play hard-nosed football and play hard despite neither possessing great athletes.
This year the teams mirror themselves in the way they have struggled to find an offensive rhythm. Sweetwater has averaged 14 points in its two games, which is a far cry from the explosiveness of past Mustang teams. Greenwood, meanwhile, was shut out against Abilene Wylie and was held to 35 yards of offense and three first downs.
"We've got to have something positive happen on offense," said Greenwood coach Bob Purser on the key to tonight's game. "We've got to run the ball on them and we couldn't run the ball on them last year, and that scares you. What we have to do is have success running the football. Right now if we can get some points on the board it would be a boost confidence-wise." Last year, the Rangers did most of their damage through the air as Dawson Wilber threw for 207 yards and two touchdowns. Wilber has graduated and now the Rangers are forced to alternate a trio of young quarterbacks after losing projected starter Bronson Valencia with a knee injury in the preseason. With the offense struggling, the pressure is placed on Higgins and the rest of Greenwood's defense to keep the Rangers within striking distance. Higgins, who finished with seven tackles against Wylie, is confident the unit will step up.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

QuailKiller
09-10-2004, 09:13 AM
YOU GOT TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS IF YOU ARE READING THE NEWSPAPER

Bubba-Joe
09-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Quail boy dont'
get upset just cause ole Curly CAN read
we know you struggle with reading.......
do ya still ride the short bus everyday??????

westTXbest
09-10-2004, 09:50 AM
He aint talkin trash and if he was he can back it up.

ranger
09-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Go get em' Greenwood! Yes they are cheaters. Jackson is a crybaby, don't let him cry the official on his side into a no call!

westTXbest
09-10-2004, 10:17 AM
lol there r coahses that cry like that.

Ranger Mom
09-10-2004, 10:40 AM
I didn't consider anything in that article as "trash talk"!

The game between Greenwood and Sweetwater put Blake out for the season last year AND he missed getting to participate with his fellow basketball players in the State championship (because of the surgery).

I'm sure he is pumped for this game and feels he has something to prove!

As far as the mention of a "cheap shot" - I felt it was one myself. But......"cheap shots" aren't always done on purpose, sometimes it's just happens and is part of the game!

I just hope we play a good, clean, CLOSE game tonight!!

GO RANGERS!!!!!

TheDOCTORdre
09-10-2004, 11:33 AM
The only thing i see that might be considered trash talkin is Higgins sayin that it was a cheap shot that took him out. And the board is lacking a little bit of the spice that it used to have so the title of the post kinda caught my attention there should be more like it and we should get some nice respectable trash talk goin

Stangster
09-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by ranger
Go get em' Greenwood! Yes they are cheaters. Jackson is a crybaby, don't let him cry the official on his side into a no call!

Sweetwater has a reputation for good, clean football. It will take more than a couple of offhand remarks by a few soreheads to mar the class act of the Mustangs.

Jackson is a good coach and a man of good character. He runs a quality program that promotes good sportsmanship and good conduct. But there are some whiners who can't stand to lose and need to take it out on some else (It sure couldn't be their fault!).

I was disappointed to read what the young man from Greenwood had to say about Sweetwater, I always thought there was mutual respect between these two great teams. I was sorry to hear how bitter he had become and hope that is not how he will deal with all of life's setbacks.