PDA

View Full Version : Local Kids in NFL Question

g$$
09-10-2004, 02:51 AM
Question: do you know of anyone from Class 3A (or other) with more than 3 kids currently in the NFL? Columbus has the 3 Schobel boys (brothers Matt & Aaron, cousin Bo). Matt is the starting TE with Cincinnatti, Aaron starts at DE for Buffalo (new contract too), & Bo is with Tennessee & injured. My hometown of Sweeny had 3 but one was just released (George Layne with Atlanta, entering 5th yr. in league). Cedric Woodard starts for Seattle at DT, while Kevin Garrett starts for St. Louis at CB. The Bulldogs have put 9 kids through the years into pro ball (used to be good!). Daingerfield had a good run (Everett boys, Whitmore), as well as Atlanta HS too. 4A Bay City always produces quality athletes (Dykes, Moose Smith in basketball, Fletcher, etc.). Talk about athletes - Van Vleck is tiny & turns them out (Bonner boys, Martin, Blackmon, etc.). I like keeping up with local TX kids & wanted some more information. Appreciate the input & have a good one.

DFHM
09-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Jeremy Urban from Victoria play for Seattle as a WR.

scrub c
09-10-2004, 07:27 AM
sweeny had a GREAT run of kids in the 90's.
and their W/L records reflects that.

but the well has long since run dry.
looks like a long season for the doggies.

dawgmom
09-10-2004, 08:14 AM
There are several from Jasper but I do not know all of them. Currently there is Zack Bronson with SF 49rs and Derrick Armstrong w/Houston. I know there are others, I just can't think of who they are! :thinking:

j_dog
09-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by dawgmom
There are several from Jasper but I do not know all of them. Currently there is Zack Bronson with SF 49rs and Derrick Armstrong w/Houston. I know there are others, I just can't think of who they are! :thinking:

Unfortunately, Zack has hit some problems. From another thread, "Bronson was signed by the Rams on September 4 after playing his first seven NFL seasons with the San Francisco 49ers. Bronson hurt his left ankle during Wednesday's practice and will miss the entire season."

I understand that Brent Hafford is (or was) at New Orleans. I don't know of any other active Jasper players in the NFL.

g$$
09-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Scrub C

Thanks for the replies everyone, good stuff. Scrub C, the run Sweeny had began in the early 80s (not 90s) & continued up until a few years ago. And the W/L records do reflect that in ALL sports. They still have talent, the problems lie in coaching staff turnover that has led to confusion & doubt. Talent does not change that much year to year, but certainly some years are better than others. They will be back once things shake out, because the natives are restless & won' t stand for mediocrity. Enjoy it while you can WC. The Armstrong kid from Jasper is an exciting athlete for the Houston Texans. Have a good one.

jason
09-11-2004, 10:24 PM
copperas cove (5a) currently has 3:
vontez duff (notre dame) - houston texans (rookie)
charles tillman (dont know) - chicago bears (2nd year)
tj hollowell (nebraska) - dont know (rookie)

DawgFan91
09-11-2004, 10:25 PM
I didn't realize that was the D. Armstrong from J-town. That's great. If John Davis could've hung on another year or two we could've had three at one time.

j_dog
09-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by DawgFan91
I didn't realize that was the D. Armstrong from J-town. That's great. If John Davis could've hung on another year or two we could've had three at one time.
Not to fret, there are more in the pipeline! :)

Actually, I think Zack Bronson is still under NFL contract, just on injured reserve if I read correctly. If you count him, and Armstrong, and if Brent Hafford is still holding forth at New Orleans, that DOES make three at the same time.

g$$
09-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Duff & Hollowell were both released & then resigned to practice squads I believe. Tillman is still there. Just letting you know the latest on their whereabouts. You can check the "Players" link on the www.nfl.com website for active roster guys.

Keith7
09-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Gainesville product Kevin Mathis, lead the Falcons in tackles from the cornerback position this week..

Atlanta Falcon Game stats.. look at the bottom for defensive totals if you are really intrested (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=240912025)