PDA

View Full Version : Article on De La Salle from ESPN.com

Keith7
09-07-2004, 07:49 PM
I know alot of people were intrested in this, and i found this on espn.com.. so i figured i would share this with people who may not check espn.com every hour........
----------------------------------------------------------------

There's a top-of-show tease in this somewhere, I know there is:

Bob Ladouceur had better be sweating out his job stability after De La Salle lost their first game in 12 years.
"De La Salle Loses: Has Bob Ladouceur Lost His Edge?"

"151-1: Someone Has To Pay."

"Is It Time For Bill Parcells?"

Yes, this is how it works in Your America. The De La Salle High School football team lost its first game since the First Bush Administration, a 39-20 defeat at the richly capable hands of Bellevue (Wash.) High in Seattle, and because this is Short-Attention Span America, the logical next question must therefore be who replaces Ladouceur as head coach.

I mean, he's now lost 15 games in 16 years, and one of his last one. Does he really think we're going to tolerate this kind of persistently shabby result?

God, it makes your blood boil just to think about it.

After all, the U.S. Olympic basketball team just shamed its citizens, its league and David Stern's ongoing plan for global domination by winning the bronze medal in Athens. And America has decided to hate that team and all its individual components with a fine blue-hot hatred.

The Yankees have been in freefall all summer, going from first by a lot to first by a weekend, and George Steinbrenner is ready for some October blood-letting.

Tiger Woods is No. 2, and is as close to Jack Nicklaus' majors record as he was three years ago. That's not gonna move product out of the Nike outlets very well now, is it Skippy?

And Tyrone Willingham is killing the University of Notre Dame singlehandedly, demanding the sternest administrative measures.

Now, we know that this is how the game is played in America. Successful streaks happen all the time, and are properly celebrated as the absolute zenith of human endeavor, reducing the moon landing, the polio cure and the development of the Internet as the mildly intriguing conversation starters they are. Won, and the world wins with you, Jack.

Streaks end all the time, too, because athletes get old, coaches get even more self-involved than they were when they started, and owners get heat from their investors to spend a little money on the investors and a little less on the general manager's talent fetishes. Stop winning, and the world lines up to put a steel-capped boot in your nethers.

It's bloodsport, only without quite as much blood as some people would hope. The end of a streak means that the vengeful customers and dead-air-must-be-filled-at-the-top-of-our-lungs media require a head on a stick (a delectable ballpark treat at only $7.50, $11 with the souvenir stick) must be mollified.

So why, given this cultural imperative, should the high school guys be sliced off a hunk of bread? I mean, you cannot just turn mindless knee-jerk psychoses on and off just because the objects of your affection-turned-scorn happen to be below the legal drinking age?

Thus, it's Bob Ladouceur's turn in the barrel. Yeah, yeah, his winning percentage of .950 is pure Globetrotter stuff, but it's also 0-1 since Saturday.

Yes, he had a heart attack this past spring, but there were newspaper people who thought Joe Montana should have timed his wife's second pregnancy better, so how hard is it to stretch the bounds of sense and propriety one more foot or so?

Yes, his team returned only three starters, a sure sign of incipient instability, but the fact remains he has lost 15 games with a Bush in the White House, and Larry Coker has only lost three, so why is it so unreasonable to suggest (in proper "insiders say" form) that Coker would leave the University of Miami to fix the De La Salle program before it's too late?

Hey, if that's the way the expectation game is played, then that's the way the expectation game is played.

After all, nearly everyone who follows high school football, give or take about 99.999999983 percent, has come to know and believe in De La Salle as the double platinum standard in football. These people require an explanation beyond Ladouceur's, "Bellevue just shoved it down our throats," "They put on a real good game plan," and "If our level of play helped Bellevue prepare and raise their plan, that's great. I think there should be lots of kings of the mountain, not just one."

Communist.

This kind of sensible, rational perspective is diametrically opposed to what we have been raised on for the past 20 years or so, and as anyone who listens to sports talk radio will tell you, it is way better to curse the darkness than to light a candle. That's why they gave us darkness in the first place, right?

So that's the deal. De La Salle's 12-year run of unremitting joy and glory is over, and now they're just like the rest of us -- week-to-week. Now you can honor the accomplishment and marvel at the work it took to achieve it, or you can do what we do with every other athlete and every other team.

You can start scaping goats and measuring pikes for heads. It is our way.

Ray Ratto is a columnist with the San Francisco Chronicle and a regular contributor to ESPN.com

JasperDog94
09-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
The De La Salle High School football team lost its first game since the First Bush Administration, So does this get blamed on the first Bush Administration or the second?

"I want to know when the president knew that DLS was going to lose and when he planned on telling the truth about it to the American public!":foul: :foul: :foul: :foul: :tongue: :tongue:

Keith7
09-07-2004, 11:19 PM
There is a new record and this is the most popular topic in 3A downlow history based on the number of views this topic made

Keith7
09-08-2004, 12:18 AM
ttt.. everyone should know about this

Keith7
09-08-2004, 02:00 PM
ttt

KTownBalla
09-08-2004, 02:03 PM
LOL...nice article

jason
09-08-2004, 04:08 PM
this thread should be deleted

Ranger Mom
09-08-2004, 04:36 PM
IMO, this "thread view" count is bogus!!

Ray_BearKat
09-08-2004, 04:39 PM
It is...it jumps a lot after only a few minutes. There ain't that many people viewing this post right now.

Ranger Mom
09-08-2004, 04:43 PM
You are right!

I posted the above at 4:36 and it had 17, 212 views....there are now 17, 938 views just a few minutes later and 46 people on the site!

PPHSfan
09-08-2004, 06:32 PM
:nerd:

Keith7
09-08-2004, 06:54 PM
wow i just checked back, and this is now the most popular topic.. thanks guys for making it this way.. when i first posted, it looked like another topic i put up that no one really cared about.. but now i look at it, and it is the greatest thing i've ever done..thanks guys

NHSRattler60
09-08-2004, 07:44 PM
...I got on 3rd period this morning it had 1300 views....how much time do you have on your hands to click on that article.....23,850 times in 9 hours?

Keith7
09-19-2004, 08:55 PM
where did all my views go?

PPHSfan
09-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Probably wherever all those Bandwagon fans of DLS went.:D

Keith7
09-19-2004, 08:59 PM
This is a conspiracy against me.. someone doesn't want me to be the most popular guy on here, and i'm gonna get to the bottom of this

PPHSfan
09-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
This is a conspiracy against me.. someone doesn't want me to be the most popular guy on here, and i'm gonna get to the bottom of this

Are you even in the top ten most popular?:eek:

Keith7
09-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Are you even in the top ten most popular?:eek:

no prolly not, but thats why i needed this (the most boring article ever) to be the most popular thread

PPHSfan
09-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Keith if you need to be popular just say so. I will let you hang out with me for a week.:D