PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Will Not Win State

kaybee1527
09-07-2004, 11:26 AM
First off...I went to Jasper High and a Bulldog forever, but I am a person that keeps it real. They did not deserve the high ranking they got and will not go far in playoffs unless they change some things up. They must use they quarterback for something more than just another running back. Let the kid throw the dang ball. That new spread offense is ok, but you still gotta be able to go under the center and get some yards with a lead blocker. They fumble the ball more than any team i have ever seen. They have good weapons at reciever, but their skills are getting wasted for just blocking. The coaches are terrible. They run the same 4 plays all night long. I never in my life thought i would see the day that you get in the spread offense at the 3 yard line. But thats what they do! I am not too old fashion am I? They have a good defense. I will give them that. What they do this year will be all credit to defense. They should pattern themselves after the Ravens Super Bowl team: Keep it real simple on offense and let your defense win it. They only need them not to fumble 12 times and they will give them good field position to let the backs grind it out. I was sick after watching them against PN-G and just had to let loose. I was actually pretty hyped up at first but #1 team in the state they are not, and while we are on top teams...if WO-S lost to them the sure not a top 10 team. I know it is a long post but had to get that out. The people that make polls should just use final rankings from last year as preseason polls and wait until seeing everybody play to make some changes. Those first two spots sure would be different....Jasper and WO-S...please. You cant base stuff off tradition. These young kids are not built like we were back then.

PappaBear
09-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by kaybee1527
First off...I went to Jasper High and a Bulldog forever, but I am a person that keeps it real. They did not deserve the high ranking they got and will not go far in playoffs unless they change some things up. They must use they quarterback for something more than just another running back. Let the kid throw the dang ball. That new spread offense is ok, but you still gotta be able to go under the center and get some yards with a lead blocker. They fumble the ball more than any team i have ever seen. They have good weapons at reciever, but their skills are getting wasted for just blocking. The coaches are terrible. They run the same 4 plays all night long. I never in my life thought i would see the day that you get in the spread offense at the 3 yard line. But thats what they do! I am not too old fashion am I? They have a good defense. I will give them that. What they do this year will be all credit to defense. They should pattern themselves after the Ravens Super Bowl team: Keep it real simple on offense and let your defense win it. They only need them not to fumble 12 times and they will give them good field position to let the backs grind it out. I was sick after watching them against PN-G and just had to let loose. I was actually pretty hyped up at first but #1 team in the state they are not, and while we are on top teams...if WO-S lost to them the sure not a top 10 team. I know it is a long post but had to get that out. The people that make polls should just use final rankings from last year as preseason polls and wait until seeing everybody play to make some changes. Those first two spots sure would be different....Jasper and WO-S...please. You cant base stuff off tradition. These young kids are not built like we were back then.

First of all someone who uses a professional team as a basis for what a high school team should do shows how little they know about football, maybe the Cowboys should try running the option too. Second Jasper has thrown the ball 28 times in the first two games. Do they run more than they pass? Yes, but they have a sophomore QB give him time. Third you say they run the same four plays over an over; they are probably different plays but you don’t know enough about football to tell the difference. If you hadn’t shown how little you know I would have told you to try being a coach but I don’t think that would be a good idea, just stick to screaming from the stands that helps out the kids a lot. And speaking to how you where built back then, your right, (finally), they are not built like you were back then they are bigger, faster, stronger, and have to be smarter in this era.

Titans
09-07-2004, 12:21 PM
I just called the Jasper coach just to let him know they won't win state. He thought since kaybee says they can't and won't...that they've decided to hang up the cleats for the year, call it a semi-success and gets kaybee's opinion before they decide to fork over money for a football team next year.

Poor kids from Jasper - they won't be able to play football anymore because kaybee thinks they won't win state.

Here's an idea - why don't you let the kids decide that on the field, not by some JERK in the stands? Those kids work their butts off day in and day out, believe in themselves and will give 100% to reach the goal.

The least you could do is show a little respect.

You must be from Arkansas to be such a pessimist!!!!!!!

LogieJoeBean001
09-07-2004, 01:00 PM
I'm pulling for you Jasper. My roots are in East Texas. My old high school team wear the Purple and Gold up just north of you guys. My aunt worked in the Jasper County Sherriff's Department for many years before retiring last year, or year before last. She has been a resident of Buna for more than 60 years! My cousin lives near Little Mauriceville and is on the school board there.

I cheer on and send best wishes to you and your team on a very successful season! Keep the East Texas winning tradition alive and well. There's no place like East Texas and Friday night football.:thumbsup:

Old Cardinal
09-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Since Silsbee is no longer suspect and most probably make the postseason, Jasper is a strong contenter in Division II football. I agree, we have to play the games to determine the final winners of Div. I and Div. II. Chances are, however, there are no teams relegated to Division II that can beat them.

WOS Mustang
09-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Kaybee,

The only response to your post is you are an idiot.

Jasper's offense is good and the Moye kid is an outstanding player and will do nothing but get better.

If you do really go watch the games, which it sounds like you don't from your post, they should ban you from the stadium after saying that stuff.

Hupernikomen
09-07-2004, 01:21 PM

In previous post I have shared your criticism of Jasper not having a short yardage package, but I just think it is plain wrong to get on this message board and start trashing the coaches and players. Say what you want to about the spread and these coaches but the last time I looked they took us to the semi-finals two years straight and as far as I can remember that hasn't happen since integration! Give them some time they will work out the wrinkles. I like the spread and I can promise you that those who play Jasper wish they weren't running the spread either.

Junkyard
09-07-2004, 01:23 PM
WOW!!! Thanks for the support guys!!!

And to Kaybee it is the fans like you that thses kids dont need, my guess is that the other posters are right and you dont know much about football.

Chris Hart
09-07-2004, 01:28 PM
I'm predicting a state title for Jasper in Div II this year. They always get better as the season rolls along, and Kaybee will be eating his words in December. Go Jasper!

kaybee1527
09-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Just to repsond to some of my fellow fans. Maybe you guys misunderstood me, but oh well.....
Chris Hart-I hope I will eat those words. I would love to see Jasper finally get a State Championship after always coming so close.

Junkyard: I have forgotten more about football than these rookie posters know. I bet none of them even played football and all they know is Madden '05.

Hupernikomen: I apologize if you thought I was bashing the players. I was not. I think the players are very skilled. But I am def talking about the coaches and that spread offense. Its ok to go to at times, but you still have to be able to get under the center and mix it up. You are right about the spread getting them far, but name 1 state champion any class the runs the spread everydown.

WOS Mustang: you said it best..You are an idiot...oh yeah and Gilbert is very very talented and will be special

Old Cardinal: Very good point.

Titans: I liked your post, pretty funny. On a serious note, you are right they do work their butts off and give 100%..and I respect that. And you jerks in the stands dont decide game....lastly from Jasper TX, and this post is just my opinion...like everybody elses

Last and least its PappaBear: I was trying to give an example when i used the Ravens, guess you missed that part(not too bright are you)...with that being established you wouldnt understand anything else I said.

And to those in the future that post. I was just letting you guys know how I felt after watching the so called #1 team in 3a. I just couldnt tell. and you guys would not want to represented like that. I didn think about it being early, and you are right they will get better. I was just disappointed from that game.

venomous tat2
09-07-2004, 03:30 PM
K B i might be wrong here ,but i think southlake won state not too long ago running the spread. I'm also wondering is it the spread offense you don't like or just the way jasper runs it. Ican tell you this the spread in it's pure form meaning everybody knows what to do is a great offense.

1. you gotta have a smart qb that can read defenses.
2.rec's gotta be on the same page with the qb they too have to recognize defenses.
3. you gotta have a back big enough to block and run(thats why they are called super backs in this offense).
4.you're line have to recognize def/fronts and block it correctly.

My point is it's not that simple to run the spread!! YOU gotta be patient it will all work out.

Hupernikomen
09-07-2004, 03:55 PM

Hupernikomen: I apologize if you thought I was bashing the players. I was not. I think the players are very skilled. But I am def talking about the coaches and that spread offense. Its ok to go to at times, but you still have to be able to get under the center and mix it up. You are right about the spread getting them far, but name 1 state champion any class the runs the spread everydown.

Just one? Ennis. They are one big reason so many teams went to the spread and were Jasper sent their coaches to learn the system.

Having the QB be a running back is not a bad thing when you have the skill that Jasper does in that backfield. Hiking to any of 3 and run the option any which way you want to, plus all 3 have QB experience which means that a pass could come at any time. And you have two lead blocks or a pass option to a back for a dump off on any play. Trust me every coach they play this year just wish that Jasper would go to some formation they can prepare better for. The spread is very hard to defend with the skilled players Jasper has. I do agree they need a goalline package and I think they need more than a home run pass in their offense, but so far they haven't had much trouble scoring with the offense just holding onto the football.

Bulldog_12
09-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Well, heres my opinion. I like the offense Jasper runs. I love how they can always keep the defense guessing on who is getting the ball. You never know if it is going to be snapped to the quarterback or one of the two runningbacks that are sometimes in the game. The only reason there are so many simple mistakes is because moye is only a sophomore. You cant expect someone to come out of the gate at a young age and be a superstar. Give him a few more weeks and he will hold on to that ball. And as for the coaches, if ya don't know them personally dont criticize them. They work very hard to come up with the play calling that will work against certain defenses. They know what they are doing. Thats why they get paid and you dont. The one thing i cant stand are bleacher coaches. Especially those that hide behind names online.

Bulldog_12
09-07-2004, 04:44 PM
oh, I almost forgot. THE BULLDOGS CAN WIN IT ALL!

Keith7
09-07-2004, 04:46 PM

You are right about the spread getting them far, but name 1 state champion any class the runs the spread everydown.

Gainesville, burnet, Wylie, Jasper.. the 4 state semi-finalist in 3A last year all run spread offenses.. but no way could one of these teams have won state

Bulldog_12
09-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Good call keith!

chaingang
09-07-2004, 04:48 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Are you kidding me? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I cant even type, I am crying LOLOLOLOLOLOL Are you serious? I cannot take someone serious with the way you spell and use words that arent even syntax complient. I hope you were really just tired and not typing well. HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Jasper gave you a diploma? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

JasperDog94
09-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by chaingang
Jasper gave you a diploma? I'd have to see it to believe it...:D :D

j_dog
09-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Boy, with friends like kaybee, we surely don't need enemies! :D kaybee, you make much to do about nothing. PNG whipped Jasper much worse last year, but it didn't stop Jasper from marching right on to the Semi's. Maybe PNG is just pretty darn good themselves! :) And maybe, just maybe, Jasper has some darn good coaches! :) I, for one, just happen to think that they do. :cool:

Stanley
09-07-2004, 10:33 PM
name 1 state champion any class the runs the spread everydown

In addition to ones already listed Southlake's done pretty well and I think LaMarque won one last year running it...

I guess I'm opposite, but it always bothers me to watch a team easily move the ball 60 or 70 yards down the field (regardless of what offense it is) and then they get in a 2 tight power I goalline set. Both teams get in a pile for the next 3 plays and the offense ends up trying a field goal.

Your first post seems like you don't want the current players to achieve more than your teams did?

WOS1
09-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Ok... teams that won titles with the spread... lets see:

1. Stephenville- 3 (where it originated)
2. Ennis- 2
3. Southlake- 2
4. Denton Ryan- 2
5. LaMarque- 1 (with the spread)
6. Burnet- 1

State finalist- The Woodlands

Bulldog_12
09-07-2004, 11:03 PM
You think we all gave this guy enough evidence to prove him wrong?

Keith7
09-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by WOS1

2. Ennis- 2
3. Southlake- 2
4. Denton Ryan- 2
6. Burnet- 1

add gainesville; they run the spread
burnet didnt win a title.. but a finalist

spiveyrat
09-08-2004, 06:40 AM
Take a breath man, we'll be ok. Give those kids some time to learn and know that offense. We'll start clicking by the time district games start. Meanwhile, we won't have to shoulder that #1 ranking and have everyone gunning for us.

Hupernikomen
09-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by WOS1

2. Ennis- 2
3. Southlake- 2
4. Denton Ryan- 2
6. Burnet- 1

And of course these are all recent accomplishments. New offense that DC are having fits matching up with unless they have some real talent.

dawgmom
09-08-2004, 01:17 PM
You know, I sometimes get aggravated at plays called during games, but I figure the coaches know what is going on a lot better than I do. Let me tell you what I see as a DAWG fan in the stands. I see fans that sit quietly until something they don't agree with happens. I DO NOT see continued support from the fans. I see people leaving the games with 2-3 minutes left, or sometimes even whole quarters. Usually, as they are leaving, they are complaining that it is useless to stay as we are going to get beat. Let me just say that if you are a TRUE DAWG fan, you stick with them no matter what the final score is. Our boys have some improvements to make, WHO DOESN"T? But I know they will make them. Will we win state this year? I don't know, I hope so! I know that no matter what, I will be at every game, screaming for my Dawgs. I have boys on the team, and even if I didn't I would still be at the games supporting the Dawgs. Bottom line, come to the games and support the Dawgs, NO MATTER WHAT THE OUTCOME! These boys deserve our support. GO DAWGS! :clap:

coiled2strike
09-08-2004, 01:23 PM
GREAT 1ST POST!!!
spoken like a true fan...
i wish we had more fans like you to support our boys...
like you said, no matter what, the boys deserve nothing but positive support...and, i've never heard a fan admit that we(coaches) know more than they(fans) do...thank you for that and good luck to your dawgs

chaingang
09-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Very well said.:clap: I am the same with my team. The sad thing is, that every school has fans like that. I call them bandwagoners.

WOS1
09-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
add gainesville; they run the spread
burnet didnt win a title.. but a finalist

I knew they lost to Gainesville, ut I thought they won the year before that... or did they lose to Everman that year?

Junkyard
09-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Well said Dawgmom!!! you are a true FAN!! I just wish the rest of the stands were filled with fans like you.:clap:

dawgmom
09-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Believe me Junkyard, if I had my way, we would only have positive fans in the stands and enthusiastic fans at games and pep rallies! If you are at a game and all else is quiet, I will be the one you hear yelling! :cheerl:

Junkyard
09-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks MOM maybe it will be contagious.

kaybee1527
09-08-2004, 02:02 PM
like the response i am getting. I stand corrected on the spread offense and state titles. I knew Stephenville ran it. I didn t know about the other teams. I do respect the players and how hard they work and I know they are very talented. And anybody thats seen them play has to agree with me on this. Patton and Bronson are two great backs. Just imagine every now and again them two lined up behind Gilbert, who is under center which would eliminate the snaps over the head and to the side, and him handing off two either one of them. I just feel they need to have something else in the scheme of things to go to while Gilbert gets better at the spread. Because after getting tired of them two running all over them, teams would break their necks and bite on play action. I just didnt like what I saw last week against PNG. I felt they could have had a great chance at an undeafted season with a win there. They will not be touched in league play and the Newton game they will be sooo pumped for. My question about the teams that do run the spread, do they ever go under center? It wasnt the right thing to talk about the coaches like that. And i do apologize. But it is their job to put the players in the right position to win. I just think those boys are too talented and work too hard for anything less.

Junkyard
09-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Well I tell you what KB go and get you a degree and then get a few years of coaching experience and apply for the head football job and if you get it you can run what ever you want to.

How would you feel if some one came to your job and watched you work and then got on a public forum and criticized you and made comment about how you could change the way you do your job.

Bulldog_12
09-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Yeah I like DawgMoms post. Jasper fans always give up on "their" team. I am going to call out all the Jasper fans by saying GET TO THE GAME AND DONT LEAVE EARLY NO MATTER WHAT. Its hard on a player to see all the teams "fans" leaving when the game isnt over. Its hard to deal with and is not a good motivator. Just a thought.

Hupernikomen
09-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Junkyard
Well I tell you what KB go and get you a degree and then get a few years of coaching experience and apply for the head football job and if you get it you can run what ever you want to.

How would you feel if some one came to your job and watched you work and then got on a public forum and criticized you and made comment about how you could change the way you do your job.

Unfortunately that is part of the job. Working for the public opens you up to public criticism. Learned that 15% of people will disagree with everything you do, 15% will agree with everything you do. I teach and know the pressure and time coaches put in and have nothing but admiration for them in their tough job. The key is to know whose opinion really matters and listen to them.

Junkyard
09-08-2004, 03:07 PM
You are right Huper, they do work very hard and spend alot of tiem away from home, but i doubt that it is in their contract that they mus tput up with idiots in the stands who think they know better. All I know is that a coach must love his job to put up with all of that. And thier poor wives who have to sit in the stands with those idiots, I dont kow how they do it.

Hupernikomen
09-08-2004, 03:07 PM
like the response i am getting. I stand corrected on the spread offense and state titles. I knew Stephenville ran it. I didn t know about the other teams. I do respect the players and how hard they work and I know they are very talented. And anybody thats seen them play has to agree with me on this. Patton and Bronson are two great backs. Just imagine every now and again them two lined up behind Gilbert, who is under center which would eliminate the snaps over the head and to the side, and him handing off two either one of them. I just feel they need to have something else in the scheme of things to go to while Gilbert gets better at the spread. Because after getting tired of them two running all over them, teams would break their necks and bite on play action. I just didnt like what I saw last week against PNG. I felt they could have had a great chance at an undeafted season with a win there. They will not be touched in league play and the Newton game they will be sooo pumped for. My question about the teams that do run the spread, do they ever go under center? It wasnt the right thing to talk about the coaches like that. And i do apologize. But it is their job to put the players in the right position to win. I just think those boys are too talented and work too hard for anything less.

Nothing wrong with expecting the best from the boys and the coaches. I am fairly certain that Ennis never went under center.

I can also say that Jasper had their fair share of fumbles back in the day of the veer/option type offenses. I think the fumbles will decrease. I don't remember too many tackles behind the line in the WO-S game, so maybe they don't have to go under center to get the short yards. How did the PNG game go? Did we fall short on some 3rd and short situations?

Hupernikomen
09-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Certainly not in their contract, but I am quite sure that they know it is part of the territory. Shouldn't be like that but it is. Coaches either have thick skin or they start selling insurance.

Junkyard
09-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Well put and selective hearing helps too!! :D

JasperDog94
09-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Another thing is that Jasper won't overpower folks this year like in year's past. They don't have as much beef up front. That said, you better have some solid guys up front if you're going to line up under center and pound the ball. Running out of the backfield gives you more opportunity to use your speed.

The times I would like to see them under center is when they're trying to run the clock out. When you line up in the shotgun and take a knee, that's 5 yards each time.

Bulldog_12
09-08-2004, 03:19 PM
I think they need new coaches. :)