PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on college football.

NHSRattler60
09-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Lord Knows I'm not an expert on football, so I'm not saying that this counts for a hill of beans...but I saying that im gonna give it anyway. I think that the college level would work under Highschool football playoff rules. Now I have heard the excuses.... "it will make the season too long", it will be too confusing", "It will cost too much", "we'll lose endorsements". It doesn't take a genious to solve all of these problems.

A: If the season is too long...start EARLIER. Make opening week in EARLY august.

B: Everythings confusing if you dont think....Make the top 3 in the division play. Base it totally off HS rules. Make regions using the Divisions and so on. Not hard to figure...if a High School student can, I'm sure a bunch of college doctorates can figure it out.

C: Endorse the playoff games. If it's a plyoff game, you know its going to be good. Make the bowl games the playoff games or even the playoff types. Make the Semi Finals the "Orange Bowl Semi Finals. Don't tell me the "Fiesta Bowl Finals Championship" game wont rake in more profit than the "Fiesta bowl". Especially when the fiesta bowl features teams that arent even ranked #1!!! (Hint: Last year).

In closing, quit being stupid. NCAA football is the only football league in the world that doesnt have a playoff system. NCAA basketball....Playoff....soccer...playoff...tennis ...playoffs...volleyball...playoffs...i doubt i need to continue.

Well Thats All I have to say and I'm sure you agree with me. See you next week.

crabman
09-06-2004, 09:06 PM
The one and only reason that we will never have a playoff system is because of mediocre programs like my Aggies. There are currently 32 bowl games which means 64 teams make a bowl. I don't care if it is the Poulan Weedeatin' Bluebonnet.com Bowl. At the end of year the coach can stand up with his 7-5 record and proclaim "well, we did make a bowl 2 out of the last 3 years" and save his job. Once we go to a playoff system, no one will buy the bowl argument. You either win it all or move on.

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by NHSRattler60
In closing, quit being stupid. NCAA football is the only football league in the world that doesnt have a playoff system. NCAA basketball....Playoff....soccer...playoff...tennis ...playoffs...volleyball...playoffs...i doubt i need to continue.
WHAT???:eek: :eek: :eek: Even communist soccer has playoffs!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Gobbla2001
09-06-2004, 09:37 PM
I actually think we can do playoffs and use the BCS at the same time...

Have them rank the top 32 using the BCS system, at the end of the year, after all confrence play has ended, put these 32 into a bracket and make 'em go five rounds...

crabman
09-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Once again, a 32 team bracket has 31 games but a 32 game bowl season has 64 teams. The brass will never go for it.

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 09:43 PM
My question crabman, is why not? Will it not get the ratings? Will it not produce the money? IMHO it will shatter the ratings and money made in the history of bowls hands down. Nobody wants to see a 7-6 team in a bowl game. Everyone wants to see the top 32 in action.

crabman
09-06-2004, 09:47 PM
I want to see the top 32 in action. YOU want to see the top 32 in action. EVERYBODY wants to see the top 32 in action except the guys voting on it. College presidents and head coaches. It is simply a matter of self preservation and a fear of the unknown. They know their job is safe and their longevity ensured under the current system. Under a playoff, it almost certainly is not.

If we ever did get a football playoff, it would make March Madness look like a junior high volleyball tournament.

Gobbla2001
09-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by crabman

If we ever did get a football playoff, it would make March Madness look like a junior high volleyball tournament.
Haha

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by crabman
If we ever did get a football playoff, it would make March Madness look like a junior high volleyball tournament. Nice...:cool:

KTownBalla
09-07-2004, 12:11 AM
JUST GO TO THE PLAYOFF SYSTEM....

"We don't want it to span 2 semesters...."

Well doesn't basketball span 2 semesters...

KTJ
09-07-2004, 12:47 AM
32 is too many teams. Use the BCS to get the top 16 teams and go from there. Even college coaches have said "take at least the BCS top 16 into a playoff."

But as long as the university presidents are voting, they will choose the current system. However, last years BCS implosion may have an effect on whether or not the system stays in place after 2006.