PDA

View Full Version : AP story on Perryton being ranked #1

RangerRedFan
09-06-2004, 07:03 PM
This story is hot off the wire of the Associated Press. While it is nice to be ranked as the #1 3A team in the state, it has been a curse for the top team each week so far. Although I am from Perryton, I am not so sure we deserve the #1 ranking. We are a pretty good football team, but time will tell if we are the best in the state.

Here;s the story:

Posted on Mon, Sep. 06, 2004

Perryton takes top 3A spot

KRISTIE RIEKEN

Associated Press

For a town three times closer to Liberal, Kan., than Amarillo, Texas, Perryton is happy to be recognized in a statewide poll. To be No. 1 is even more exciting.

The Rangers gained Class 3A's top spot in this week's Texas Associated Press High School poll following a 38-7 win over Guymon, Okla. Perryton replaces Jasper, which lost to Class 4A Port Neches-Groves on Friday.

"To be this far north and be recognized is great," coach Gary Newcomb said Monday. "The distance that we are from everything makes it hard to be noticed statewide."

It's the team's highest ranking in the history of the AP Poll.

This town of just under 9,000 in the uppermost part of the Texas Panhandle is known as 'The Wheatheart of the Nation.' Situated near the Oklahoma border and just 47 miles from Liberal, Kan., it is 400 miles from Dallas, 650 miles from Houston and 915 miles from Brownsville.

The win over Guymon was Newcomb's 100th as a head coach.

"It was nice," the 35-year coaching veteran said. "I was tickled but the kids get the credit."

Perryton opened the season with a 26-10 win over 4A Pampa. This week they needed a 29-point third quarter to ensure the victory.

Receiver Brendan Baker ran 55 yards for a touchdown and added a second score on a 50-yard touchdown pass on a reverse from receiver Jeremy Campbell. The play was impressive, but what makes it more so is the fact that Campbell was born without a right leg from the knee down and plays with a prosthetic one.

Campbell, who played quarterback last season, moved to receiver to make room for senior QB Beau Merrell. Newcomb says Campbell is a great athlete and that he'll move back to QB for his senior season in 2005. He's also a track standout and a varsity basketball player who has been asked to join the United States Paralympic team.

3afan
09-06-2004, 07:09 PM
cool ........................................... :clap:

Haunta Yo
09-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Pairingtuhn is far from being the best team in 3A, but they are ranked #1 until they lose...

I guess Pampa's a solid win, but I don't know how good ole Guymon, Ok. is ???

Sinton (GP's good huh?), Liberty Hill, Jasper, WO-S and Cuero (nice "W" over LaGrange) all seem to be playing teams that are going to help them win come playoff time and Gainesville's head coach is undefeated.

Who's really going to beat Parrytun until they play someone in Texas outside of the Panhandle? But that's not their fault.

Don't mean to rain on your parade. Have fun with it and wear the AP #1 until Round 2 or 3...

Cool stuff about Campbell, though.

RangerRedFan
09-06-2004, 08:31 PM
I agree with you. I don't have any reason to believe we are the best team in 3A. In fact we are playing Canadian, who is rated 8th in 2A, at their place Friday, and it will be an uphill battle to win that game. We play them every year, and it is one of those games where sometimes even the best team hasn't won. I have watched Perryton play for over 20 years, and so far this year they don't seem a whole lot better than they have been the last 4 or 5 years. I guess we will all find out if they deserve it in the next few weeks. Oh, I do take exception to your spelling of Perryton..seems a little much to me.

Haunta Yo
09-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Fair enough on the disrespect...

With a #1 ranking comes a correct spelling of your town.
Congratulations, Perryton!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

crabman
09-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Haunta Yo, you just said something that no one else on this board has said. Gainsevilles coach has not lost!!! Not last year. NOt this year. There is your #1 team!!

GWOOD
09-06-2004, 10:56 PM
RangerRedFan,

I saw these Perryton Rangers play baseball last spring in Lubbock. I believe there were only two seniors on the team. Most were Juniors, with some sophomores and freshman here and there. I recognize the names "Baker" and "Merrill" as two of those on that team. Those boys had a "can do" spirit about them. How many times did they come from behind in the playoffs to win a game? I was impressed with them. Greenwood has had some of those players on their teams the past few years--those guys who refuse to lose.

Have a friend who moved to Perryton from Greenwood two years ago. I'm sure he is excited about right now. Good luck to you guys.

District303aPastPlayer
09-06-2004, 11:48 PM
I still think Cuero is the #1 team in the state right now.. and gainesville too

and haunted yo, much props on the spelling of perryton

Haunta Yo
09-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Some of the real best 10 teams in 3A will have a few losses come district. They won't be in the AP poll, but AP poll stops week 10.

CwillRB
09-07-2004, 10:26 AM
i disagree haunted yo decatur hasnt lost a district game in 2 years and i dont see it happenin for at least 2 more maybe 3

District303aPastPlayer
09-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by CwillRB
i disagree haunted yo decatur hasnt lost a district game in 2 years and i dont see it happenin for at least 2 more maybe 3

weak district?

Cat22
09-07-2004, 11:11 AM
I think Congrats are in order for Perryton. It's good to see someone different at the top spot and not the same teams every year. Do I think they are the best team in 3A? Maybe, maybe not, but no one can claim the number one spot until December, even then, you're still going to have two teams that claim they are the best.
Good Luck Perryton!

Phil C
09-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Sinton is no longer in the top ten! Alas!