Cameron
Caldwell
Manor
Lagrange
Hutto
Rockdale
Smithville
Giddings

Most playoff caliber teams. Only 3 can go. What will be the outcome.

WOS Mustang
09-06-2004, 11:54 AM
manor and lagrange will go, don't know about 3rd spot

Gobbla2001
09-06-2004, 12:08 PM
La Grange
Manor
Caldwell or Rockdale or Hutto...

Since we have two Rockdale players on the board I'll go with the TiGgErS from the Dale...

Chris Hart
09-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Could Lagrange miss the playoffs this year, for the first time in a while? May happen...

Gobbla2001
09-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Could Lagrange miss the playoffs this year, for the first time in a while? May happen...

It really could since they're in such a tough district...

But kids playing in a tradition-rich program tend to have that in the back of their heads during crunch-time, so I'll give 'em the nod...

chs_cheer06
09-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Caldwell will go for sure!

CHS_Grad '85
09-06-2004, 01:45 PM
It's still to early to count out La Grange... as I just told marlin fan - they could pull a Marlin on the district... lose all the non-district games then come into district & spank everyone... there are a lot of hungry teams out there that are out to prove themselves worthy... Hutto & Cameron are just a few and if you try to look past Giddings & Rockdale - well that's your mistake... Caldwell has a long way to go... penelties are going to kill us in district play... mentioned that against Bellville... now against Leon - Caldwell lost 81 yards due to penelties... at this point - the best advice to anyone trying to predict the out come of this one is --- wait & see ---

HornetMom
09-06-2004, 02:32 PM
well said

Pudlugger
09-06-2004, 02:43 PM
La Grange will need to pull it together after a disappointing opener against a very stout Cuero team. I think they can. In 2002 the Leps got spanked 37-6 by Yoakum and then won 11 straight before losing to Marlin in the Regional finals. This team needs to decide on a leader at Qb and from what I saw last Friday that may be the sophomore Matt Woods. He impressed me in how poised he was under immense pressure from the Cuero D. In addition he had a nifty 50 yard kickoff return so he has good wheels. Daniels might be better in the WR slot. Woods has a better arm and the Leps have to develop their passing game or the running game will not be there. I look for a big Lep turnaround this Friday at home against Sealy. By district we will have a better idea of how competetive the Leps will be in what looks to be the most competetive district in 3a this season.

Mustang '89
09-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Manor
La Grange
Hutto

hutex04
09-06-2004, 04:12 PM
I honestly think Hutto will not be in it this year, maybe next. There are just too many good teams this year. 5 or 6 of these teams are playoff type teams. I'll say
Manor, Caldwell, La grange
then Hutto, Cameron Yoe, Rockdale, Giddings, Smithville

Mustang '89
09-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
I honestly think Hutto will not be in it this year, maybe next. There are just too many good teams this year. 5 or 6 of these teams are playoff type teams. I'll say
Manor, Caldwell, La grange
then Hutto, Cameron Yoe, Rockdale, Giddings, Smithville

I'm hoping they can put it together this year. (Not at Manor's expense). I like to see Austin area teams do well. (Except Westlake). A good showing against Liberty Hill will be a great confidence builder.

theyoefnshow
09-06-2004, 05:20 PM
I say (in no particular order) Cameron, Manor and Rockdale.
I'm calling an upset victory over Manor but then a defeat by someone else in the season
Manor falls to Cameron but goes undefeated afterwards
Rockdale and La Grange have identical records but one of them falls out by either a coin toss or margin of victory.

crabman
09-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Just a comment on LaGrange's coach. If he really does change QB's that is Velastro being Velastro. I don't know how you can go through the spring, two weeks of two-a-days, three scrimmages, and one game, and not be locked up at quarterback or any other position for that matter. He does it every year and every year it works. The only problem this year is he is in a 8 team district so there is only three games to move people and he has already used one of them up. There is a reason this guy wins year in and year out. I put him in the same category as Yoakum's Jesse Crow. No one likes him but they damn well respect him.

La Grange
09-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Coach V. has been in La Grange for 11 years now, and he has won only 2 season openers. But he has also one more state championships and more games in the past 11 years than any other coach in this district. La Grange will be fine, we had people moving into different positions all night, we just have to find the right people and put them in the right spot.

And come on it is not like Manor, Hutto, and Rockdale have played the same caliber of teams as La Grange did this past Friday.

Pudlugger
09-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Just a comment on LaGrange's coach. If he really does change QB's that is Velastro being Velastro. I don't know how you can go through the spring, two weeks of two-a-days, three scrimmages, and one game, and not be locked up at quarterback or any other position for that matter. He does it every year and every year it works. The only problem this year is he is in a 8 team district so there is only three games to move people and he has already used one of them up. There is a reason this guy wins year in and year out. I put him in the same category as Yoakum's Jesse Crow. No one likes him but they damn well respect him.

Crabby, Coach V is a good coach because he is able to make the tough decisions when it is necessary. Daniels had the job because he has been the back-up to Chase Anderle for the past two years. With Anderle's strong arm and break away speed the Lep offense developed into a balanced attack. Daniels has great speed but not the arm and the Leps have at least one potential all state receiver this year. In short, they need to throw the ball. Coach V is a fair minded man and he gives the guy who puts out day in and day out the nod every time. Daniels has done that and more. But it is clear that if this team wants to advance to the play-offs they must throw the football. When it comes down to the individual player versus the good of the team Coach V will come down on the teams side every time. Daniels is a team player and he knows this so if it comes to pass that Woods gets the job he will be the first guy to say it was for the best.

crabman
09-06-2004, 10:38 PM
By the way LaGrange, great game Friday. You guys played a heck of a game. I felt the whole game like you were right on the verge of making something happen. Cuero's speed had a little to do with shutting that down. What did you think of our offensive line? They are something to see aren't they?

theyoefnshow
09-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
Coach V. has been in La Grange for 11 years now, and he has won only 2 season openers. But he has also one more state championships and more games in the past 11 years than any other coach in this district. La Grange will be fine, we had people moving into different positions all night, we just have to find the right people and put them in the right spot.

And come on it is not like Manor, Hutto, and Rockdale have played the same caliber of teams as La Grange did this past Friday.

Speaking of which, how good are the teams that Manor and Hutto played against? I don't know much about em.....

Pudlugger
09-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Oh yeah, they are spectacular. All the best the rest of the way to Cuero.:)

hutex04
09-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Hutto played Travis, which to me could be a playoff team in its district. Travis beat Akins (5a) the week before 27-21 i think. Travis gots a good coach and They will improve as the season goes

Mustang '89
09-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
Speaking of which, how good are the teams that Manor and Hutto played against? I don't know much about em.....

Manor played a couple of overmatched 4A teams Del Valle and Aus. Johnston. They should probably think about losing the phone number to both of these schools. I chalk both games up as two extra scrimmages. I think they just wanted to get a look at his team in live action and still be healthy with seven games that count on the schedule(District).

The real test will come on the 17th in Liberty Hill. I think that game will tell how good Manor really is.

ctplaya
09-07-2004, 06:58 AM
Caldwell has one of the best, if not the best defense in the district. Molded with the new wing-T offense we have adapted,we should be very hard to stop. Oh yeah! And we return 8 starters on Offense. And 6 on defense.

edibleeggs
09-08-2004, 06:44 PM
So with all these predictions it seems that manor is the overall pick to win this so called tough district. Besides the ridiculous prediction by yoefnshow of manor, rockdale, and cameron which i find impossible. I'm still waiting to see how la grange does against normal team...not a godly like team in cuero and for caldwell.. looks like ill have to wait and see when they play a decent game with la grange. Hutto sounds like they have a decent team...although i dont exactly know because their 2-0 record could have come against below than average teams. Giddings I havent heard too much of although im sure they will try to play the heartbreaker for teams looking foward to the playoffs. Lastly, there's smithville. I mean come on!

theyoefnshow
09-08-2004, 08:02 PM
so you are saying Rockdale and Cameron are not contenders? Yes, what a crazy statement that is as both teams make playoffs probably 9 out of every 10 years.

Cameronbystander
09-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Cameron will enter district with a 300% better winning percentange than all of last year (3-0 vs 1-9). The key will be on Sept 24 the first district game against Manor. If they play them well and come out healthy, I think that they could go 9-1 or 8-2. They have a lot of senior leadership and good speed.

They beat a Fairfield team that was a 14 point favorite and a decent Bellville team. The Cameron quarterback was 18-3a all district last year and he seems to be on his game right now but he continuously takes a pounding because of his style and the type of offense that Cameron runs (wide open with very little running back support for blocking).

Additionally Cameron is playing with 22 starters. No one is crossing over. With their speed and fresh legs they should win one or two games just by being better in the forth quarter.

We'll see.

Old Tiger
09-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Fairfield didn't play good at all that night and for Bellville, they graduated 26 seniors. I'm not taking anything away from Cameron they do have talent. Just stating facts.

Junkyard
09-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Cameron
Manor
Lagrange

just my 2 cents

theyoefnshow
09-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Hey guess what? Cameron didn't play that great against Fairfield either. As for Bellville, I'm pretty sure they will make playoffs even w/ the graduation toll. They were a very good team.

theyoefnshow
09-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Here's an interesting piece of info from the Bryan Eagle website:
TEAM DEFENSE

Team. . . . . . . . . Rush . . Pass . Tot . . . Avg.
Cameron . . . . . . 109 . . . 8. . . . 117 . . 117.0
Caldwell. . . . . . . 214 . . . 160. . 374 . . 187.0

Well. They say Defense will win championships.....

CHS_Grad '85
09-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Also from the Eagle:

TEAM OFFENSE
Team. . . . . . . . . Rush . . Pass . Tot . . . Avg
Caldwell. . . . . . . 656 . . . 160. . 816 . . 408.0
Cameron . . . . . . 126 . . . 151. . 277 . . 277.0

I said it earlier and I'll say it again... still too early to predict any thing...

BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
09-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
Here's an interesting piece of info from the Bryan Eagle website:
TEAM DEFENSE

Team. . . . . . . . . Rush . . Pass . Tot . . . Avg.
Cameron . . . . . . 109 . . . 8. . . . 117 . . 117.0
Caldwell. . . . . . . 214 . . . 160. . 374 . . 187.0

Well. They say Defense will win championships.....
Cameron's stats are for 1 game Caldwell's are for 2

hear are the corrected Cameron stats
Defense
rush pass tot avg
337 63 400 200
Offense
311 312 623 311.5

CHS_Grad '85
09-09-2004, 01:51 PM
You can never trust the Buzzard (Eagle)... lol

snakebite
09-09-2004, 03:45 PM
I am not too sure about this dostrict, although we do play ya'll sometomes in different things. However, I believe that ya'll are in one of the toughest districts this year. We are in one, but I dont think it will match up. District 20-3A has good teams in it-Sealy, Rice Consol, and Navasota. Bellville has always been top dawg, but since the have a young team, they are beatable. Good Luck in ya'lls district, cause well be playin ya'll in playoffs

theyoefnshow
09-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
Cameron's stats are for 1 game Caldwell's are for 2

hear are the corrected Cameron stats
Defense
rush pass tot avg
337 63 400 200
Offense
311 312 623 311.5

Gotta say that is incorrect. Rushing wise anyway. The passing stats are accurate however Bellville was led by the QB w/ 93 yards rushing. Last I checked, 93 + 109 = 202. I don't recall them getting another 100 + yards on the ground.

BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
09-09-2004, 05:28 PM
http://www.brazossports.com/football/090404footballstats.htm

Pball
09-11-2004, 09:51 AM
??