PDA

View Full Version : Hating on WOS and Jasper

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-06-2004, 11:22 AM
I have heard about all I can about how these two teams are the two best in 3A, about who they play in 4A, and how they are the only two teams that should either be 1 or 2. I haven't seen either team play and only know about them in what has been written in the Texas Football mag and what they have done through two games. That being said unless you the poster have seen these two teams play or any other teams such as Gainesville or Decatur or Graham for that matter how can you even give an educated opinion that there are only two teams that should be 1 and 2.

My opinion is that Gainesville should be #1. Based on the fact that they brought back probably the best back in 3A if not Texas. They will score points. They bring back one of the best defensive schemes along with the Coach of the year last year and they HAVE NOT LOST yet.

Decatur is another team that should be 1 or 2. Can WOS or Jasper contain Dane's passing game? Who can say since they haven't played yet? I have seen Dane play and he is by far the best passer that I have seen in high school football. I also saw the Bridgeport QB Phillip D. several years ago so its not like I haven't seen anybody good. in my opinion Decatur and Gainesville are the two teams that play for number 1 this week.

By the way Decatur plays tough competition as well: Gainesville, Graham, and Abilene Wylie. No argument those are all top 10 teams.

I also haven’t even mentioned my hometown team Vernon. We will see how they do the next several weeks, but beating Oklahoma Class 5A – 8th ranked Altus was no fluke.

So I'm sick of hearing about the two BEST teams in 3A being WOS and Jasper. I don't think they are. What are your thoughts?

Chris Hart
09-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Who knows this early? It will all play out in the end, and then we will all 'know' who are the best teams in 3A.

footballfan93
09-06-2004, 11:45 AM
They are. WO-S has been a 4A powerhouse for 20 years. Now they are in 3A and people are gunning for them. It is only a matter of time before they become a complete team this year and they will start destroying everyone in sight. All they really need is a stronger running game. Jasper has just stepped it back up in the past few years and they are a very powerful team this year with good speed. They just need to hold onto the ball and they will go a LONG way. I will admit I haven't even heard of Gainesville until this year. They are SUPPOSED to be in Florida. :)

I would have to say until I see someone really really control WO-S or Jasper from the 3A ranks I will have to stick with them as my #1 and #2 for that class in 2004. Sorry to dissapoint you.

WOS Mustang
09-06-2004, 11:47 AM
stop hating. everyone was dogging us out for losing to Jasper and saying nederland was going to kill us. We beat them and that scares you.

OHSwr19
09-06-2004, 11:51 AM
How can you say that Gainesville and Decatur should be 1 and 2 when you have not even saw Wos and Jasper play a game this year? Just because Gainesville hasnt lost and Decatur has a good QB doesnt mean they will beat Wos or Jasper and the same goes for Wos and Jasper. So untill December we wont know who really is the BEST teams in 3A. So untill then why not just let the people who make up those polls make the decisions. Who knows they might be right they might be wrong but none of us know that.

LH Panther Mom
09-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by OHSwr19
So untill December we wont know who really is the BEST teams in 3A. So untill then why not just let the people who make up those polls make the decisions. Who knows they might be right they might be wrong but none of us know that.

Polls are not decisions, they're opinions based on past history, strength of schedule and other factors. With a playoff system, none of the polls matter anyway. It's not like college, where the polls decide who will play for the championship games. Right now, going into week 2, anyone's opinion matters.

Old Cardinal
09-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Z, I kind of enjoyed your tirade LOL, I know you are on the faculty at Vernon and that is good that you are touting your team. I hope you don't get too sick through the course of the year however. I feel that Region III and also Region IV has some teams that can prevail this season. I HAVE seen Jasper and WO-S play this year, they would be rated in the top five of 4A, quite possibly. I wish my team were that good; just as you do about your team--but I then look at some game films of WO-S and Jasper and sanity soon returns.

WOS Mustang
09-06-2004, 12:02 PM
they are OPINIONS but someone has to make the DECISION on the order

LH Panther Mom
09-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Not necessarily - the AP poll & coach's poll are based on the number of votes a team receives, votes which are based on opinion.

Chris Hart
09-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Not necessarily - the AP poll & coach's poll are based on the number of votes a team receives, votes which are based on opinion. You go girl, you know your stuff!;)

LH Panther Mom
09-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
You go girl, you know your stuff!;)

Of course! :D I didn't grow up as a coach's daughter & not learn anything. ;)

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Some Good Old Cardinal Reading (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6866)

Gobbla2001
09-06-2004, 12:49 PM
I can understand that you are upset because Jasper and WO-S have gotten a lot of hype... But why should Decatur be number 1 or 2, or Gainesville number 1? Because of G'Ville's RB and Decatur's QB?

Have YOU SEEN JASPER OR WO-S PLAY? Have you seen their defensive schemes/formations etc... that could maybe stop the guys you've mentioned?

Granted these 4A teams that WO-S and JAsper are playing haven't done 'much' lately (minus the 'City Cats), they're still pretty good, so of course they're going to keep 'em ranked...

But the stuff you're throwing out isn't any better, you only mentioned one area (DFW) of the state yourself...

You're a homer as well...

I personally believe that Gainesville has a great chance of winning it all this year, and do believe the same for Jasper, WO-S and some of the teams you mentioned...

But if you plan on trying to make points, don't make yourself look like a hypocrit instead...

Rocksolid
09-06-2004, 01:49 PM
I don't understand why everyone is getting so upset about Jasper and WOS being 2 of the best teams in 3a of course their going to be 2 of the best teams both teams were 4a powerhouses forever and still have the same caliber athletes they had 20 years ago.

Keith7
09-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Rocksolid
I don't understand why everyone is getting so upset about Jasper and WOS being 2 of the best teams in 3a of course their going to be 2 of the best teams both teams were 4a powerhouses forever and still have the same caliber athletes they had 20 years ago.

The key word here is "were".. yes they "were" 4A powerhouses.. but this is the year 2004, and in 2004 they are in 3A and there are other teams as good and probobly better then them so people get sick of them bicker about how they should be 1 and 2 because they play average 4A teams in there preseason..

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Well Z, it looks like this thread didn't turn out the way you thought it would.

Look at it this way: I've never seen Gainsville play or Decatur. But, last year Jasper took the #1 passing combo in state history (Shipley/McGee) and had them almost shut down until the end of the game. We did something that no other team all year up to that point had done. Had our starting rb Cook been healthy, who knows how that game would have turned out. So far this year, Jasper has 5 interceptions in 2 games. 3 against a very good WOS QB. Say what you want about WOS and Jasper, but those boys know how to play ball.

Notice that I never said Gainsville or Decatur couldn't be 1 or 2. I just think in most people's minds, those are the best 2 teams right now. They are only opinions. Last year lots of folks had already handed the trophy to Burnet (not Burnet fans) and we all know what happened there.

Just keep being POSITIVE and support your teams.

Don't hate, educate!;) ;) ;)

Keith7
09-06-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
last year Jasper took the #1 passing combo in state history (Shipley/McGee)

Gainesville took on the same combo, and actually won.. so why shouldnt they be put ahead of Jasper in yalls minds?

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
...they play average 4A teams in there preseason.. Okay Keith. I can take some of your homerism, but I'm gonna throw the bs flag on this statement. How do you consider Nederland, PNG, and Bay City "average" 4A teams?

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Gainesville took on the same combo, and actually won.. so why shouldnt they be put ahead of Jasper in yalls minds? You guys had your starting running back, Jasper didn't. Burnet scored 21 against Jasper and 24 against Gainsville. The biggest difference, Jasper's missing running back.

Gainsville returns 3/2 starters. Jasper returns 6/8 starters.

You could flip flop numbers all day long, but I would give the edge to Jasper based on the above facts.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-06-2004, 02:33 PM
I knew this thread would stir it up. Ok my point exactly. Gobbla take note: the same goes for all these posters writing that WOS and Jasper are the two best in 3A. Which one should be #1 and which one should be #2. I haven't seen either play so how would I know. HOW WOULD ANYONE KNOW WHO HASN'T SEEN GAINESVILLE OR DECATUR? That is why they play---to find out. But since we are giving opinions, I'll give you mine:

1) Gainesville
2) Decatur
3) Graham
4) Vernon
5) Wylie
6) Perryton
7) Canyon
8) Cooper
9) Sweetwater
10) Iowa Park

My Region I top ten that I know somewhat about. Doesn’t even have to be in the order that they are in. All of these teams are good and I would suspect could play with other teams from other regions including Jasper and WOS.

As far as the state goes, what about Port Isabel? They almost beat a 5A team to open the season. They were state semi finalist last year. Where are they?

My point is I don’t believe all the hype and I think there are other teams just as good and the rankings (opinions) should include them.

Old Card, I'm not a faculty member of VHS. I am at Cameron Univ. in Lawton, OK though. I do live in Vernon and had a son play for them last year.

Homer? Of course! Who isn't?

exbccards76'smom
09-06-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm not upset about WOS and Jasper getting all the hype...all that really matters is who is playing in December. Good luck to everyone this year.

http://img81.exs.cx/img81/8936/coollogo_com_8403473.gif

Bulldog_12
09-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Z, I find that you keep contradicting yourself. You say that no one should rate a team unless they have seen them play. You have not seen Jasper or WOS play yet. When you see them, then you can come back here and maybe someone will listen to you and take you seriously. Ive seen film on these teams. In my mind, WOS and Jasper still retain the top teams in 3A. But i respect that you want credit for your team. Maybe they will get it sooner or later.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Bulldog:

My point is have any of these experts seen Decatur or Gainesville? Probably not. THAT IS THE POINT! All WOS and Jasper are to me is hype because I haven't seen them play. Now Jasper won their game so I would agree that they might be a #1 team. But I do not think that they are the top two teams in 3A.

Gainesville and Decatur play Friday. I’m sure it will be as good as when WOS and Jasper played. Plus Graham has scored over 100 points in two games. That is not by happenstance either. They are good!

My team is Vernon. I have seen them play and at this point the offense still needs work. They are not a number 1 or 2 team now, maybe not even a state top 10 team. They do have size and speed so as the season goes they will get much better. Good enough to be a state champion? Maybe. And yes I do support the 'home team'.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Oh yes and about people on this board taking me seriously? Or calling me a hypocrite? Well I have made some 600 posts over three years and during that time I'm sure there are some that agree with me and some that don't.

Since we no longer have our friend meter on this board I guess no one will know who takes me serious or not.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Z, I kind of enjoyed your tirade LOL, I know you are on the faculty at Vernon and that is good that you are touting your team. I hope you don't get too sick through the course of the year however. I feel that Region III and also Region IV has some teams that can prevail this season. I HAVE seen Jasper and WO-S play this year, they would be rated in the top five of 4A, quite possibly. I wish my team were that good; just as you do about your team--but I then look at some game films of WO-S and Jasper and sanity soon returns.

Old Card you saying Jasper and WO would be rank in top 5 in 4a just because they beat some 4a teams that u say is really good teams.:rolleyes: hmm Calallen and GP from region 4 and what about region 2 and region1 sure they have at least 2 also that could be top 5 and u putting jasper and wo above them is disrespect to 4a rankings. Just leave it as there one of the top teams in 3a. also remember u dishing Sinton for having weak schedule when they played BC and how BC had played all these 4a teams that were powerhouses, sometimes its not the schedule but how u doing at that point of the season!!

WOS1
09-06-2004, 03:27 PM
1. Cuero
2. Decatur
3. Gainesville
4. Perryton
5. Vernon
6. Kirbyville
7. Sinton
8. Marlin
9. Manor
10. Barbershill

Hey Z, print this poll out, put on your frig and pretend it's the AP....

Maybe this will make you and Keith feel better... :D :D :D

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks WOS1. I can put it right next to my baby girls art work.

Keith7
09-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
1. Cuero
2. Decatur
3. Gainesville
4. Perryton
5. Vernon
6. Kirbyville
7. Sinton
8. Marlin
9. Manor
10. Barbershill

wait all these teams suck.. they don't play top 4A schools

Old Cardinal
09-06-2004, 04:07 PM
To "SintonFan in Austin": That is a silly fabrication of yours. The Sinton and Bridge City fans were the most cordial and respectful people throughout the whole process of us getting ready and also playing one another in the final 4 game in 2001. We have made some lasting friends between Sinton and BC that continue till this day! There are some great folks in Sinton.

VERNONLION#1
09-06-2004, 04:08 PM
1. Cuero
2. Decatur
3. Gainesville
4. Perryton
5. Vernon
6. Kirbyville
7. Sinton
8. Marlin
9. Manor
10. Barbershill

Where in the heck is WOS anyway? You guys need a job as sports writers so that you can travel the state every week and watch different teams play so you can really see there BETTER teams than WOS and JASPER!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

WOS1
09-06-2004, 04:24 PM
wait all these teams suck.. they don't play top 4A schools

Not true... Gainesville played one of those big San Antonio schools this past week. Oops... nevermind. :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Okay Keith. I can take some of your homerism, but I'm gonna throw the bs flag on this statement. How do you consider Nederland, PNG, and Bay City "average" 4A teams? Come on Keith. Answer my question. Don't make a blanket statement and then back down. How do you consider the above mentioned teams "average"?

DawgFan91
09-06-2004, 05:07 PM
I LOVE IT!! This is what makes this site interesting. Everybody has an opinion on who's #1 and it is only the third week of games. First of all, the 4A teams that Jasper and WO-S play are definitely above average and have been for some time.

But as for Gainesville in particular, I wouldn't have a problem with them being ranked #1 until they lose. Maybe they lost a lot of experience from last year, but it wouldn't be the first time (Sealy and LaMarque among others) a team has won state in consecutive years after losing experienced players. But should WO-S be knocked for losing to Jasper or should Jasper be knocked for losing to PN-G? No way. Not only are ALL these teams good, they are fierce rivals and at different times have been in the same district. How can Jasper fans forget 1990 when Jasper had the best team in 4A NOT in the playoffs b/c of two hard losses in WO-S and in PNG when only 2 teams went to the playoffs. All three were ranked in the top 10 that year.

Bottom line, who cares who is #1 or #2 now? Based on what has happened these first two weeks, Cuero has just as much to talk about as anyone. Let the polls say whatever right now. At different times last year, neither Gainesville nor Atlanta were even in the top 10 but they were number one in the end and that is the mission. Good luck to all the teams...and keep up the debating.

Bulldog_12
09-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Great perspective dawg fan.

Keith7
09-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Come on Keith. Answer my question. Don't make a blanket statement and then back down. How do you consider the above mentioned teams "average"?

I just said it to make you mad really.. it did a rather good job too

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Four A...Shmore A

Last Year...Shmast Year

You can spin this however you want to make your own team sound like a powerhouse. We have played two games, in some cases one. It makes for fun discussion, but nobody has a clue who the best teams are yet this year. Nobody can even give an educated guess unless they have watched film on the couple of hundred games played so far in 3a this year.

Jasper beat W-OS last week, so last week Jasper beat W-OS. Ok that proves that Jasper was able to put more points on the board in week zero than W-OS, and that is all it proves. PNG got beat 15-12 last week by Houston Cypress Creek...a 5A team that finished 114th in the State, whoopee. But they beat Jasper this week so they are now a power house team? Nederland beat Texas City 37-7....don't get Texas City confused with Texas High, they WERE a decent 4a team last year finishing the year ranked around 30th in the league. Nederland misses five extra points and the special teams also allow W-OS to run a kickoff back for a touchdown. They lose by 2 even though their offense put 2 more touchdowns on the board than W-OS and now they too are a 4A powerhouse.

The bottom line is this. Gainesville and Atlanta are the defending 3A State Champions, and until they lose to a 3A team, they are still Champions without a league loss. Saying any other team is number one in 3A at this point is just wrong.

Gobbla2001
09-06-2004, 05:48 PM
I'll say the Blackcats are not average, but WELL above average, very good year in and year out (and have a nice lookin' high school as well)... Nederland has been very good the past 5 or so years, but they can't get outta the region... PNG really hasn't gotten that many good reviews hear lately, but they're still tough overall...

I think the deal about these teams being considered top-notch 4A's is the fact that they're all around the same caliber (minus Bay City)... And that caliber, to me, is 'a tad above average'...

When you have all of these teams that are a 'tad above average' playing in one district or area, it gets labled a 'tough' district or area.

However, folks, along with myself, do not feel that playing in a tough area or district means that those teams are better than others who do not have the luxury of surrounding their town with teams who are all above-average...

I know a lot of folks from around that area (GT is what it's called these days?), and they say though it's still the 'toughest' area, the teams are not 'blow you away' type teams, they're just 'good'...

And that's the deal, most other teams in 3A that our posters represent are playing 'good' teams, maybe not 'blow you away', but 'good'...

SOOOO... In having said this, I hope to have enlightened some of you on 'why' folks don't think too much about 'who' Jasper and WO-S are playing...

Cuero for one played Calallen in the late 90's and would hang in there with 'em all game while they went to the semi's to get their yearly dose of La Marque or whoever, but it still didn't win us a championship...

THAT'S what these people are looking at... They have comparisons, they play tough 4A's as well, those 4A's just are not playing in a 'tougher' area that allows them this 'big' name...

Old Cardinal
09-06-2004, 06:55 PM
I looked at the Poll in 4A and 4 of the top 5 teams are in, or scheduled by the SE TX teams...Keep trying someone will believe that Jasper and WO-S and a lot of other 3As in SE TX are not playing premium teams that boost their ratings... I wish Kilgore the other team in the top 5 in the 4A Poll was close enough, the 3As in SE TX would be clammering to schedule them also.

3afan
09-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
......Saying any other team is number one in 3A at this point is just wrong.

:thinking: ------> its not wrong PP, its just a differing opinion.

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
:thinking: ------> its not wrong PP, its just a differing opinion.

Well it is my opinion that you are wrong too.

3afan
09-06-2004, 07:20 PM
haha - i can live with that!

OHSwr19
09-06-2004, 07:32 PM
The key word here is "were".. yes they "were" 4A powerhouses.. but this is the year 2004, and in 2004 they are in 3A and there are other teams as good and probobly better then them so people get sick of them bicker about how they should be 1 and 2 because they play average 4A teams in there preseason

Im sure people get sick of hearing people bicker about how Gainesville should be number 1 based on what they did last year. This is 2004 not 2003 Gainesville won it all last year ur right but that was last year and this is this year. This year will be a different outcome.

Keith7
09-06-2004, 07:37 PM
The key word here is "were".. yes they "were" 4A powerhouses.. but this is the year 2004, and in 2004 they are in 3A and there are other teams as good and probobly better then them so people get sick of them bicker about how they should be 1 and 2 because they play average 4A teams in there preseason

Im sure people get sick of hearing people bicker about how Gainesville should be number 1 based on what they did last year. This is 2004 not 2003 Gainesville won it all last year ur right but that was last year and this is this year. This year will be a different outcome.

yea but people are still on the team that was on the team in 2004.. Now i'm not for sure, but hopefully, there are no players on WO-S or Jasper from 20 years ago

OHSwr19
09-06-2004, 07:49 PM
WOS had 17 starters coming back from last year 9 of them on D, Im not sure about Jasper, but they are playing pretty good football early on right now, Nederland and PNG are not avg 4A teams Nederland i believe went 4 rounds last year and PNG went 3, Also this is supposed to be the best Nederland team in awhile they return a lot of players from their team last year.

Keith7
09-06-2004, 07:52 PM
WOS had 17 starters coming back from last year 9 of them on D, Im not sure about Jasper, but they are playing pretty good football early on right now, Nederland and PNG are not avg 4A teams Nederland i believe went 4 rounds last year and PNG went 3, Also this is supposed to be the best Nederland team in awhile they return a lot of players from their team last year.

well tell them i said.. good job!

OHSwr19
09-06-2004, 07:55 PM
What are the rankings of the teams that Gainesville play this year in preseason?

OHSwr19
09-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Im not trying to start anything im just stating FACTS like you do.

Gobbla2001
09-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Im not trying to start anything im just stating FACTS like you do.

That's the only problem ha... These polls are 'opinions' as well, not facts...

I gave an example earlier... Aledo ranked #31 in '98 and won state, Sealy ranked #1 and was knocked out in the first round by #47...

At the end, these early season rankings do not mean 'too' much, though most mentioned this year are quality teams...

OHSwr19
09-06-2004, 08:12 PM
No i ment facts about WOS, Jasper, Nederland, and PNG i didnt mean that the polls were facts.

Old Cardinal
09-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks Kieth for recognizing these hardworking kids from Ned. & Pn-G; both for their past accomplishments and the prospects stated in Polls for this year.

WOS1
09-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
That's the only problem ha... These polls are 'opinions' as well, not facts...

I gave an example earlier... Aledo ranked #31 in '98 and won state, Sealy ranked #1 and was knocked out in the first round by #47...

At the end, these early season rankings do not mean 'too' much, though most mentioned this year are quality teams...

You're right, these polls don't mean sh-t. I wish we weren't even ranked, it means nothing. Also, none of this bickering about who should be number 1 involves folks from WO-S or Jasper. I think this means more to you other guys than it does us. I personally could give a rats a$$ about where we are ranked right now.

PPHSfan, it's WO-S. I'm going to assume that this is a mistake on your part and not some kind of attempt to disrespect us.

crabman
09-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Look at the other thread on here about college playoffs. Without a playoff, those guys live and die by the polls. Texas high school football has a playoff so all these polls are good for is a few high school players and a lot of alumni to get on message boards and rant like idiots, me included. What a country! This is better than politics. YOu can make the most idiotic point and no one can prove you wrong because it is all just opinions.

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 09:34 PM
What are the rankings of the teams that Gainesville play this year in preseason?

What does who a team is going to play in pre-season have to do with where they are ranked now?

Rocksolid
09-06-2004, 09:37 PM
well put Crabman

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 09:40 PM
What does who a team is going to play in pre-season have to do with where they are ranked now? We're just comparing WO-S and Jasper's pre-season games to Gainsville's.

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Some silly opinions don't have to be proven wrong. You just know.:D

Keith7
09-06-2004, 09:44 PM
We're just comparing WO-S and Jasper's pre-season games to Gainsville's.

yes and because your coach is better at scheduling 4A schools, that means Jasper and WO-S are better!

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Some silly opinions don't have to be proven wrong. You just know.:D Yeah, but we still like to humor Keith...just to keep him around.;)

Keith7
09-06-2004, 09:50 PM
i like argueing about this stuff.. i might not always be right, but it helps me learn about other teams, and it helps keep me entertained.. and it keeps the board lively.. so don't feel offended if i go to far, and dont hold back on anything yall have to say.. its all in good fun

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Man that so called power house of a team Concord De La Salle got spanked by a 3A team in Washington, and they never ever threw a pass.

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Where can I find the stats on that game PPHSfan?

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Where can I find the stats on that game PPHSfan?

You don't need not stinkin link. You just need to take my word for it.:D

Bulldog92
09-06-2004, 10:16 PM
Man that so called power house of a team Concord De La Salle got spanked by a 3A team in Washington, and they never ever threw a pass. Bellevue's enrollment for this school year is 1306, which is equivalent to a 4A school there. De La Salle is about the same size enrollment wise. The last enrollment figure I could find was from the '00-'01 year when they were just under 1000. Washington's highest classification is 4A. The funny thing I heard before the game was when a coach in California (that actually played for De La Salle when the streak started and plays them every year) told the sports radio station here in Seattle that Bellevue would lose because they were too one-demensional. According to him, De La Salle was great at stopping the run because they put 8 men in the box. They gave up 463 yards and Bellevue's starting QB is a 14 year-old freshman. Amazing....

Rocksolid
09-06-2004, 10:18 PM
I'll give Bellvue the Stat Championship for the next 4 years in that case

Rocksolid
09-06-2004, 10:19 PM
*State

HighSchool Fan
Jasperdog94, you know better than to question PPHSfan. He is the football Guru on this board.:D :D

PPHSfan, who wins thes weekend in the battle of the cats?

WOS1
Originally posted by crabman
Look at the other thread on here about college playoffs. Without a playoff, those guys live and die by the polls. Texas high school football has a playoff so all these polls are good for is a few high school players and a lot of alumni to get on message boards and rant like idiots, me included. What a country! This is better than politics. YOu can make the most idiotic point and no one can prove you wrong because it is all just opinions.

LOL... so true...:clap:

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
Jasperdog94, you know better than to question PPHSfan. He is the football Guru on this board.:D :D

PPHSfan, who wins thes weekend in the battle of the cats?

Pilot Point by 9 points.

HighSchool Fan
09-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Pilot Point by 9 points.

I have to work friday night. You need to keep me updated.

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 10:27 PM
You want me to call you at work with the scores?:eek:

Bulldog92
09-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Rocksolid
I'll give Bellvue the Stat Championship for the next 4 years in that case They've already won it the last three years and their star tailback is J.R. Hasty, son of former NFL CB James Hasty. He ran for 271 yards in the game. De La Salle was shut out in the second half and they hadn't given up more than 32 points in any game under their coach before or during the streak. If I remember correctly, he's only lost 16 games and this is his 26th year. That's mind-boggling and what Bellevue did is amazing. Oh...the 14 year-old QB is a sophomore. He skipped a grade. You can tell....:)

HighSchool Fan
09-06-2004, 10:28 PM
you can do that or send up smoke signals.

OHSwr19
09-06-2004, 10:34 PM
How do yall think one of our teams from Texas would do against either of those 2 teams>?

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 10:38 PM
How do yall think one of our teams from Texas would do against either of those 2 teams>?

The question is not how ONE of our Texas teams would do. The question is how the top 100 teams in Texas would do against the likes of DLS. I don't think DLS has ever played a team like SLC, Ennis, Galena Park North Shore etc.......

Bulldog92
09-06-2004, 10:44 PM
How do yall think one of our teams from Texas would do against either of those 2 teams>? Good question. I don't know if anyone can stop the wing-T that Bellevue is running on a consistent basis, but De La Salle will most likely go on another long streak because most of their competition in California is weak. They go out of state at least once a year and I believe they beat Evangel Christian in Louisiana (another national powerhouse) pretty handily a few years back. I think the reason you don't see a Texan team put up a similar win streak is that the football is better there than anywhere. The only school that comes close in my mind is Stephenville when they went 90-2 over that six year stretch in the 90's.

OHSwr19
09-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Then whats the deal with them being so great?

Bulldog92
09-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Then whats the deal with them being so great? Well anytime you win 151 games in a row, which is a national record, people are going to think you're great and they should. It's not like every team on their schedule was scrubs and they were always willing to go out of state to prove that.

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 10:55 PM
I don't think they played a weak schedule every game of the year. But they never had to play the best teams in the State by virtue of a playoff system in California. They also never had to play five more games to win it all after playing 10 regular season games. And not knowing who the next opponent would be less than a week before they met. They have a good team, but they couldn't do it in a State that had a playoff system like we have here.

j_dog
09-06-2004, 10:58 PM
You're right, these polls don't mean sh-t. I wish we weren't even ranked, it means nothing. Also, none of this bickering about who should be number 1 involves folks from WO-S or Jasper. I think this means more to you other guys than it does us. I personally could give a rats a$$ about where we are ranked right now.
You are so right WOS1. WO-S and Jasper have both had good seasons when not ranked, and not so good seasons when highly ranked. Rankings are nice, but it is foolish to start believing them. I would certainly trade all the high rankings Jasper has ever had for just ONE state championship. :)

Bulldog92
09-06-2004, 11:05 PM
I don't think they played a weak schedule every game of the year. But they never had to play the best teams in the State by virtue of a playoff system in California. They also never had to play five more games to win it all after playing 10 regular season games. And not knowing who the next opponent would be less than a week before they met. They have a good team, but they couldn't do it in a State that had a playoff system like we have here. I know...but anytime they were challenged by either a legit Californian school or anyone else that was considered top-notch nationally, they won and that's what great teams do. Could they do that in class 4A and 5A in Texas? We'll never know, but I doubt it. There are lots of teams on their level in Texas that would win big if their programs were in other states. All they could do was win against who ever came to the plate. The old national record was 72 straight by some school in Ohio and DLS more than doubled that.

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Yeah, but they only had to get up for a big game once or twice a year. And they never played a Texas team during that 151 game streak. They played Evangel from Louisiana ONCE, last year, but it was after Booty was gone, and ECA got hammered by Longview last year. And Longview placed third in their district. And didn't come anywhere near winning state.

Bulldog92
09-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Yeah, but they only had to get up for a big game once or twice a year. And they never played a Texas team during that 151 game streak. They played Evangel from Louisiana ONCE, last year, but it was after Booty was gone, and ECA got hammered by Texarkana last year. And Texarkana placed third in their district. And didn't come anywhere near winning state. You're having fun with this, aren't you? I agree with you. There are probably quite a few Texan schools that could have snapped the streak, but they never had the opportunity. I'd like to see this Bellevue team play down there just to see if they're for real though...:)

Keith7
09-06-2004, 11:20 PM
I would like to see De La Salle play Rhode Island's best team.. i hear that is the hot bed of high school football

Hupernikomen
09-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
You are so right WOS1. WO-S and Jasper have both had good seasons when not ranked, and not so good seasons when highly ranked. Rankings are nice, but it is foolish to start believing them. I would certainly trade all the high rankings Jasper has ever had for just ONE state championship. :)

Amen to that.

I have always felt #1 belongs to last years state champs until they are beaten. And I agree Jasper and WO-S are just hype at this point. (Everyone is just hype at this point--give it a few more weeks and we will know more.) Long season still in front of both teams, but I reiterate what WOS1 pointed out: others are hyping us, we aren't hyping ourselves.

Bulldog92
09-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Amen to that.

I have always felt #1 belongs to last years state champs until they are beaten. And I agree Jasper and WO-S are just hype at this point. (Everyone is just hype at this point--give it a few more weeks and we will know more.) Long season still in front of both teams, but I reiterate what WOS1 pointed out: others are hyping us, we aren't hyping ourselves. I agree with that completely. I'd take a 5-5 season backing into the playoffs if it meant we'd put it together when it counted and win it all...;)

X Man
09-07-2004, 04:32 AM
I just hope they keep that #1 ranking target off our back!

Go WO-S!

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-15-2004, 04:01 PM
I guess WOS didn't deserve that #1 or 2 ranking after all.

SuusJudex
11-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Thank you Captain Obvious!

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by SuusJudex
Thank you Captain Obvious!

Couldn't resist after all that talk at the first of the year. I thought I was on the WOS board. Can't blame me for bringing this up can you?

Hupernikomen
11-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Yeah it was a big deal in 3A when you gain teams like Jasper and WOS among the other quality programs that have fallen into the 3A ranks recently...it is equally a big deal when you lose programs like burnet, forney, ennis, etc. to the higher ranks or Newton to the lower ranks...certainly people will naturally talk about it. As many people pointed out WO-S rattled off 2 straight state championships and lost in the finals of their 3rd year in 4A..I don't see why it was such a stretch to some that it might not happen in 3A. They are a great team and program. I didn't work out for them this year and won't for all the teams in 3A but 2 at the end. They like all the rest will be back again to give it a go next year. WO-S fans didn't come on here claiming to be the best...some like OC and other in WO area thought they would blow through 3A because of their experiences with the touted WO-S program. They had a disappointing year. They will work hard over the summer and be right back in the top ten again next year giving us all something to banter about.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Hupernikomen

Well put.

Hupernikomen
11-15-2004, 05:17 PM
thank you. what team do you support anyways? didn't you have a son that played last year? (duh, I just noticed your signature)

sinton66
11-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Okay folks, I think WOS has the point of all of this, time to put it to bed.