PDA

View Full Version : This isn't good for A&M...

KTJ
09-06-2004, 01:41 AM
Aggy may have to turn to McGee or Branyon. If that's the case, it will be a dismal season for Aggy.

Sept. 5, 2004, 11:46PM

A&M's wounds include McNeal's thumb

Four-week layoff possible as QB deals with injury

By NEIL HOHLFELD

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Texas A&M quarterback Reggie McNeal apparently suffered ligament damage to his left thumb during the Aggies' 41-21 loss at Utah in the season opener Thursday night, according to sources close to the team.

One A&M source said McNeal could be sidelined for as long as four weeks because he will be unable to take snaps. McNeal is righthanded. It was not clear if McNeal had undergone surgery to correct the injury or if he will need an operation.

Coach Dennis Franchione said the team had suffered bumps and bruises against Utah but nothing in the way of a season-ending injury. Since Franchione took over as A&M coach last season, the team policy has been not to disclose injuries unless they are of the season-ending variety.

Franchione was not available late Sunday night to answer specific questions about McNeal's health or if the junior quarterback would be available to play in the Aggies' home opener against Wyoming on Saturday.

After Thursday's game at Utah, McNeal's left hand was wrapped in an elastic bandage while he was speaking with reporters. He was asked what happened to his hand. McNeal said: "Nothing, just a little bruise. I'm all right."

If McNeal does miss significant time, the Aggies might go with true freshman Stephen McGee, one of the top recruits in the nation last year.

The Aggies also could turn to sophomore Ty Branyon, who played the final series Thursday night at Utah. He was 6-of-8 passing for 60 yards and led A&M on an 80-yard TD drive

CHS_Grad '85
09-06-2004, 09:55 AM
Well... they could just wrap his hand up and use him as a running back... :D

AggieJohn
09-06-2004, 10:26 AM
i kind of am glad...mabye fran will see that reggie's best position isn't QB, although he is good at that....maybe they will move him to WR or something with a little less contact

footballfan93
09-06-2004, 10:49 AM
I am thinking they miss Dustin Long badly right now.

AggieJohn
09-06-2004, 02:26 PM
long is like mock

Bandera YaYa
09-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey, I would love to see McGee get his hand on the ball....... :D

Texas Aggie
09-07-2004, 07:19 PM
This might actually be good for the Aggies. McNeal has not been as good as everyone says he is. He has not lived up to the expectations that he brought on himself in the Oklahoma win in 2002. I think that A&M needs to start Ty Branyon because he will get the job done. He is only a walk-on, so he is not bigheaded from being "one of the top QBs in the nation. McGee is a great QB and has an edge on most Freshman QBs because he was practicing with A&M during the spring. Texas A&M needs to have McGee redshirted this year so he can get more experience and A&M can save him.

Chris Hart
09-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
This might actually be good for the Aggies. McNeal has not been as good as everyone says he is. He has not lived up to the expectations that he brought on himself in the Oklahoma win in 2002. I think that A&M needs to start Ty Branyon because he will get the job done. He is only a walk-on, so he is not bigheaded from being "one of the top QBs in the nation. McGee is a great QB and has an edge on most Freshman QBs because he was practicing with A&M during the spring. Texas A&M needs to have McGee redshirted this year so he can get more experience and A&M can save him. My sentiments exactly! If the Aggies don't redshirt McGee this year, and don't end up playing him for a substantial amount of time, then they just wasted a year of eligibility. McGee is the future at QB for A&M, I just hope they don't mess that up too.

AggieJohn
09-07-2004, 08:19 PM
News flash, battalion said today that reggie shouldn't be out for the game on saturday...good news...now let's hope he get's his reads down

Bulldog_12
09-07-2004, 11:17 PM
I really think that McNeal is good. He is a great player that has lived up to expectations in my opinion. He just isnt as accurate throwing as many other Quarterbacks are, but he is an explosive runner and really fun to watch. I would actually like to see him move to runningback and McGee take over at QB. I bet that would be a pretty lethal backfield. We would probably have to wait till next year to see that kind of combination.

KTJ
09-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by explayer2001
News flash, battalion said today that reggie shouldn't be out for the game on saturday...good news...now let's hope he get's his reads down

that's good news. Glad he's okay.

IHStangFan
09-08-2004, 06:03 AM
suprise suprise suprise....whats new? Aggies gonna have a chitty season as usual.

Panther Ross
09-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
suprise suprise suprise....whats new? Aggies gonna have a chitty season as usual.

Believe me the aggies will be on top of their game in the next 4 to 5 seasons

Old Tiger
09-08-2004, 10:52 AM
I just don't think the Aggies are any good(IMO)

KL3
09-08-2004, 11:40 AM
"He has not lived up to the expectations that he brought on himself in the Oklahoma win in 2002. I think that A&M needs to start Ty Branyon because he will get the job done. He is only a walk-on, so he is not bigheaded from being "one of the top QBs in the nation."

Damn, some of you people are ridiculous. You can't really be serious when you say this can you?

IHStangFan
09-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Panther Ross
Believe me the aggies will be on top of their game in the next 4 to 5 seasons as a die-hard Aggie fan myself...i hope you are right sir. but w/ UT and OU recruiting all the talent outa the state each year and leaving the "left overs" for everyone else....i doubt it.

KTJ
09-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Panther Ross
Believe me the aggies will be on top of their game in the next 4 to 5 seasons

I think you're the only Aggy fan that would be satisfied with being on top in the next 4-5 years. And please, define what "on top" means--BCS? Big 12 CG? Big 12 South Winners? NC?

If your plan holds true, that would be 7 years it took Frantastic to get Aggy where they want to be. Most A&M folks I know are getting restless right now.

If you guys keep losing, I don't really care. I think Mack is still getting the prime recruits to continuously beat A&M every year. Now Blow-U on the other hand....:D