PDA

View Full Version : Special thanks to BrahmaMom

Bull's-eye
09-05-2004, 08:24 PM
The "Red Mustache" and I had a great time at the game! He's probably thinking about buying some navy blue mustache paint. It was great to see the former Brahmas excel on the football field. Rice played the type of defense that we love to watch, led by #47. It brought back memories of 2001, when #11 and #55 teamed up on that great Bellville defense. "Red Mustache" was very proud of his boys from Bellville.
Congratulations to Rice!! They defeated Houston 10-7. Houston scored their only points with 9 secs left in the game. Great job Owls!!

Pudlugger
09-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Is it true the Owls are condidering going to DIII to get out of the athletic scholarship business? Rumor has it they are losing money on DI football and can't support their high academic standing and DI football at the same time.:confused:

Bull's-eye
09-05-2004, 08:43 PM
BrahmaMom will know more about this. I know that they had voted earlier, and the decision was to stay D1. Thanks to BrahmaMom and other Rice supporters, the University received many e-mails stating not to drop D1 football.

Bull's-eye
09-05-2004, 11:28 PM
ttt

Bull's-eye
09-07-2004, 09:38 AM
This probably got lost in all the posts on Labor day. Just wanted to make sure BrahmaMom knows we appreciated the tickets!

Bellville22
09-07-2004, 10:02 AM
I too attended the Rice/UH game. What a game for Syptak! And it was great to see another Brahma see some special teams action. BrahmaMom, you were right, a clear block in the back on that kickoff;) . 'Bulls-Eye', I miss that 2001 defense too, arguably the best Bellville D ever, certainly the best in my time.

Bull's-eye
09-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Syptak led Rice with 8 tackles and 2 sacks! The 2001 play-off game against Bandera was my first game watching Bellville. Bellville's defense sure played with a lot of emotion and were fun to watch.

BrahmaMom
09-07-2004, 04:13 PM
You're welcome Bull's Eye, I just got home last night. I told everyone around me when Syptak would hit that he was playing "Brahma Ball" or "That's how we play football in Bellville!" They got sick of it, but he is a blast to watch, so they can just avoid me next time. The special teams was tough but a nice way to ease into college football. So glad Bellville turned out so many to support the former Brahmas, we appreciate it. The Owls are going to have a good defense this year--with Syptak leading the charge. The Brahma emotion on defense will help Rice become a great team. Can't wait! Thanks again for following the Owls!

BrahmaMom
09-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Pud: To answer your question, there is NO question any longer that Rice will stay D-I and keep football. It was a sweat for a while with some History prof leading the charge. The new pres of university is not pro-athletics, but the power of a small alumni and fan base took care of the battle for Rice athletics. If you ever want to watch a small college game with the feel of small town football, head to Rice Stadium, where kids can still roam free and safe in the stands, the fans welcome the team back from half-time on the field, and cheer for three former Austin County players and LOTS of great players/people. It is a class act.

Bull's-eye
09-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Rice has many players from 3A football on their roster. Hutto, Sinton, and Sealy also have former players on the team.