PDA

View Full Version : Sinton Has Toughest 2004 Regular Season

Phil C
02-23-2004, 11:46 AM
in terms of the combination of great opponents and travel distances. Of course half of the games will be in Sinton and half out of town but you will get the idea. In the Pre-District

1. Taft - 7 miles to catch this tough opponent who narrowly missed the playoffs last year and is always tough for Sinton.

2. Gregory-Portland - 19 miles to play a top 4A powerhouse. The injury factor is actually the biggest worry here since we have had critical injuiries the past few years in this game. And this year the game is at G-P!

3. Beeville - 30 miles to play a good 4A team that consistently makes the playoffs. Who scheduled these guys? Plus Mathis Coach Sosa is now there and remember he had great success at Mathis. This increases the risk.

4. Cuero - 90 miles to play a great team that beat us bad on our field last year. And this year we have to make the long trip to Cuero :(

5. Orange Grove - 34 miles to play a good team that makes the playoffs consistently. This year we have to make that long trip to play there.

6. West Oso - 23 miles to play a good team that makes the playoffs consistently. Remember they gave Yoakum a scare last year.

Then comes district

7. Ingleside - 23 miles to play a fast growing school that is always tough and now has a new coach who is outstanding. This school is sure to grow into a powerhouse and someday may be in 4A.

8. Aransas Pass - 27 miles to play a school that is always tough. Plus the brother of the great former Mathis Coach is there which increases the worry.

9. Mathis - 22 miles to play a great school that has had outstanding success the past few years. Always tough to play this team.

10. Goliad - 49 miles to play this team. They are new to the district this year but they have been in out district in the past and did very well. Small consolation to have this team added to our district.

So you can see the combination of travel and opponents means a tough season for Sinton.

And then don't forget if we are fortunate to get into the playoffs then travel and opponents become a problem for everyone including us. But we will have to compete in Division 1 which makes it tougher for one of the smaller Division 1 schools. This makes the season extra tough.

PPHSfan
02-23-2004, 11:50 AM
With the exception of the 90 mile trip to Cuero, you travel looks like gravy. Now your strength of opponent is a different matter.

SintonFan
02-23-2004, 12:31 PM
I think I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you on this one phil. wink

JasperDog94
02-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Travel is actually pretty easy. When Jasper was 4A, the closest district game was 60 miles away. That's not so bad on Friday nights, but do that on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays for you other sports and it sure makes for a long school day the next day.

I actually feel sorry for Shepherd and Coldsprings next year. The four other schools in their district are a minimum 80 miles away. :confused:

BigW
02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Phil,
Look at this schedule posted by Adidas:
Yeah I am being a "homer" with this post, but Abilene Wylie's is going to be pretty dang hard this year! 9 of their 10 opponents were in the playoffs last year...and 4 of those teams went at least 3 rounds deep! Toss in a home-and-home scrimmage with Brownwood and that schedule matches up as well as anybody in the state! Here is Wylie's lineup:

SA Lakeview...lost in 4A D2 bi-district to Pampa
vs Midland Greenwood...lost in 3A D2 bi-district to Merkel
Aledo...lost in 4A D2 Quarters to Denton Ryan
Vernon...lost in 3A D2 Semis to Atlanta
Graham...lost in 3A D1 Bi-District to Wylie
Decatur...lost in 3A D2 Area to Vernon
vs Sweetwater*...lost in 3A D2 Regionals to Vernon
@ Merkel*...lost in 3A D2 Regionals to Kennedale
OFF
vs Snyder*...lost in 3A D1 Quarters to Wylie
@ Clyde*...no playoffs

*District Game

Compare Sintons schedule:
You are only playing one team that went past Bi-district
Taft-no playoff
GP-lost @ Regional
Beeville-no playoff
Cuero-lost @ Bi-district
OG-lost @ Bi-district
West Oso-lost @ Bi-district
Ingleside-no playoff
Aransas Pass-no playoff
Mathis-lost @ Bi-district
Goliad-no playoff

oh well
02-23-2004, 01:55 PM
DO not forget Clyde beat Wylie last year so that is no easy game.

Mean_Machine
02-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Its Clear that Snyder,Sweetwater,Wylie,Merkel,and Clyde all have tougher regular season schedules than anyone I have seen. Forgot about Clyde Beating Wylie. thats true. Thats not a rumor or is it???? :p

pero chato
02-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Mean_Machine:
Its Clear that Snyder,Sweetwater,Wylie,Merkel,and Clyde all have tougher regular season schedules than anyone I have seen. Forgot about Clyde Beating Wylie. thats true. Thats not a rumor or is it???? :p LOL. No conspiracy here. They whipped us fair and square. Unfortunately, they didn't do much after that. If they would've played everyone like they played us they would have won district. I expect good things from Clyde next season.

Old Tiger
02-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Whoa don't over do yourself on milage.

olddawggreen
02-23-2004, 08:05 PM
At least Sinton won't have to play Burnet in Waco this year! :D :D

sinfan75
02-24-2004, 05:43 AM
As far as travel,this is a hop skip and a jump compared to the last few years.As far as strength of schedule,I think Sinton's had tougher ones in the past.Other than Cuero and G-P(and possibly Beeville),this schedule seems pretty soft.

District303aPastPlayer
02-24-2004, 09:26 AM
sinfan75:
As far as travel,this is a hop skip and a jump compared to the last few years.As far as strength of schedule,I think Sinton's had tougher ones in the past.Other than Cuero and G-P(and possibly Beeville),this schedule seems pretty soft.i will agree with that :cool:

SintonFan_inAustin
05-16-2004, 05:44 AM
:D :D This one of the weakest schedule Pirates have had, theres no top ten rank team in that schedule. lol most of the oppenents u gave them too much credit for being poor teams and avg teams Pirates only good early tests are GP and Cuero. This is not like last ur team that started to peak in post season, this team should come out strong from the start.

PhiI C
05-16-2004, 07:03 AM
Wrong Sinton is still the toughest. You haven't convinced me. Don't forget G-P was in 4A in a tough district. Beeville has made playoffs in the past and they have an outstanding new coach. Well of course A-P and Taft didn't make the playoffs. Consider how tough the district is with several outstanding teams then naturally not all can make the playoffs.

PhiI C
05-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Plus in the playoffs Sinton is probably one of the smallest enrollments schools in Division 1. That increases the risk.

3afan2K3
05-16-2004, 07:47 AM
Division 1A ????

PhiI C
05-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Thank you 3A. I edited it. Keep me straight here. :)

PhiI C
05-16-2004, 08:28 AM
I also forgot to mention Sinton has rough pre season scrimages.