PDA

View Full Version : Trinity U 52 Austin College 10

Pudlugger
09-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Great DIII football game in SA. My son got his first taste of college ball. Tigers play Texas Lutheran next Sat at 7PM in Sequin. Trinity ranked 10th nationally.:)

Pudlugger
09-05-2004, 08:07 AM
BTW several players from 3a were on both teams rosters. 3 guys from Forney,plus players from Frisco, Palestine Gilmer and Royse City on the Austin College roster. Trinity had guys from Elgin, Lindale, Wimberley, Marion, and La Grange. It is good to see these 3a guys continuing their football careers at this level.

Pudlugger
09-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Trinity extends streak with crushing victory

Web Posted: 09/05/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Paula Hunt
Express-News Staff Writer

Trinity won its 13th-straight season opener and 41st-straight regular-season home game with a 52-10 victory over Austin College at Stevens Stadium.

"I was excited for the kids and a lot of kids played and that was important," said Trinity coach Steve Mohr. "The offense performed exceptionally well in the first quarter and the touchdown right before the half really helped our momentum and our defense got us good field position and we took advantage of it."

That touchdown, with just 14 seconds left in the second quarter, helped Trinity (1-0) grab a 31-3 lead going into the break. The Kangaroos (0-1) were never able to break through Trinity's stifling defense or thwart its potent offense that eventually piled up 370 yards compared to its own 143 yards. Nine of Trinity's 14 drives started in Kangaroos territory.

Trinity's seemingly unstoppable march was tempered in the second half when Mohr inserted backups into the game.

Quarterback Dan DesPlaines, who managed the game superbly in the first half despite an interception, was replaced by sophomore Jacob Cannon.

Sophomore Matthew Shavers recovered a fumble in Austin College's endzone for a touchdown in the fourth.

Austin College quarterback Brian Womack also stepped aside in the second half of the game for Derek Ruthardt and JR Ohr. Neal Ewing finally got Austin College on the scoreboard at 5:20 of the fourth on a 17-yard rush.

"I thought we came out and played pretty tough, but we eventually got overmanned," said Kangaroos coach David Norman. "We turned the ball over early and their offense took it over.

"The first quarter, I thought we had a chance, but it basically became a physical game and they were better than us man-to-man. That's nothing against our kids but that was just the reality."

Although Trinity received three TD runs from Jerrold Jones, two passing TDs from Robin Kelner and another from Ray Valencia, the hardest working man for the Tigers could have been Todd Canion. Canion set school and Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference records for scoring by a kicker with his seven extra points and a field goal to bring his career total to 221.

Norman said he was impressed with what he saw of Trinity and that his team would use the game as a learning experience.

"It was a negative consequence tonight but it can a positive if we learn from it," said Norman. "Trinity has our number but that's not by mistake. Steve Mohr and his staff and this program is one of the top programs in Division III.

"It's not by accident but because they do it the right way.

"They coach great and their kids play great. There's no mystique, it's just hard work and those guys having a good football team."

phunt@express-news.net

Old Green
09-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Trinity has always been a powerhouse in the Division III level. When I lived in S.A., I attended some of their games. Always exciting.

VWG
09-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Both schools also have great academic history. It ain't easy gettin' in to those schools!